D3 Region 9 Playoff thread

Jaws31

It had to be done
I believe this is one of the toughest regions in the state all divisions so it should have its own thread. Whats everyones thoughts and predictions?

My breakdown with the teams I am a bit more familiar with.

I think this will be Ursuline’s region to win with the way they’re playing and talent wise are one of the better teams in the state. I would be absolutely shocked if they don’t win this fegion

Geneva I think will get past round 2 but if they draw Chardon, then I’m calling upset in favor of the Hilltoppers in round 2.

Aurora is usually always in the mix come playoff time and have a solid football tradition. I don’t know too much about Aurora but I can’t rule them out as a contender.

Kenston has a solid team that can flirt with a regional title with a talented QB and RB and a solid front on both sides of the ball. It seems like they are prone to laying an egg here and there but outside of the bad loss to Lake, the Bombers will be a tough out.

VASJ has the talent to compete with some of the best and contend for a regional title, but Rotsky’s inability to properly coach/win the big games, plus discipline and a sketchy defense will be their downfall, especially if they meet Kenston in round 2 where the Bombers pitched a shutout in the 2nd half in their Week 4 matchup. If by some miracle they play their best games now, (I hope they do. Insert homer joke) they can be tough to beat. But as I said, the defense will be their downfall and result in another early exit.

Gilmour I can’t see being a real contender and I’m honestly thinking they will be one of the higher seeds to get upset in the 1st round. They’re a good team but they are not world beaters. I don’t expect much from the Lancers.

Chardon, you can’t rule them out due to their experience, their strength of schedule, and coaching. Especially if they’re peaking at the right time, they may make a deep run.

Last edited:
Region 9 Round 1 matchups:

16. New Philadelphia @ 1. Ursuline - Stambaugh Stadium (YSU)

15. Hawken @ 2. Geneva - Spire Institute

14. Alliance @ 3. Aurora - Aurora HS

13. Dover @ 4. Kenston - Kenston HS

12. University School @ 5. VASJ - Brooklyn HS

11. Madison @ 6. Gilmour Academy - Gilmour Academy

10. CVCA @ 7. Chardon - Chardon HS

9. Canfield @ 8. Akron East - Ellet HS

Rd 1 picks:

Ursuline over New Phila

Geneva over Hawken

Aurora over Alliance

Kenston over Dover

VASJ over US

Madison over Gilmour *Upset pick

Chardon over CVCA

Canfield over East

Last edited:
My thoughts:

Ursuline is the clear favorite to win this region, followed by Aurora and Kenston. The Bombers have a really great offense, and Aurora has made deep playoff runs each of the last few years. They also have a great defense that has performed well throughout the course of the season. Since Chardon is on the opposite side of Ursuline, they can't be looked past either. If anyone was able to make a deep run in this region, the Toppers are a safe bet for sure.

Other teams to look out for:
Akron East has the speed and the athletes to hang with anyone in Region 9. I would have liked their chances if they were a seed higher, but even if they beat Canfield, Ursuline is a tall task. Canfield is the defending state champion, and will be a tough out. If they beat East and also pull off an upset against Ursuline, who knows what happens from here...

Dover is battle tested, and they've closed the season with four wins in a row after starting off 2-4. Two of those wins have come against playoff bound Indian Valley and New Philadelphia, respectively.

I am not sleeping on Alliance, especially with their offense. Brendan Zurbrugg is one of the top QBs in the area. However, if the Aviators are still dealing with injuries, and/or their defense struggles, this may be a short stay. BUT if any team could pull an upset in the first round, it would be them.

My breakdown with the teams I am a bit more familiar with.

I think this will be Ursuline’s region to win with the way they’re playing and talent wise are one of the better teams in the state. I would be absolutely shocked if they don’t win this fegion

Geneva I think will get past round 2 but if they draw Chardon, then I’m calling upset in favor of the Hilltoppers in round 2.

Aurora is usually always in the mix come playoff time and have a solid football tradition. I don’t know too much about Aurora but I can’t rule them out as a contender.

Kenston has a solid team that can flirt with a regional title with a talented QB and RB and a solid front on both sides of the ball. It seems like they are prone to laying an egg here and there but outside of the bad loss to Lake, the Bombers will be a tough out.

VASJ has the talent to compete with some of the best and contend for a regional title, but Rotsky’s inability to properly coach/win the big games, plus discipline and a sketchy defense will be their downfall, especially if they meet Kenston in round 2 where the Bombers pitched a shutout in the 2nd half in their Week 4 matchup. If by some miracle they play their best games now, (I hope they do. Insert homer joke) they can be tough to beat. But as I said, the defense will be their downfall and result in another early exit.

Gilmour I can’t see being a real contender and I’m honestly thinking they will be one of the higher seeds to get upset in the 1st round. They’re a good team but they are not world beaters. I don’t expect much from the Lancers.

Chardon, you can’t rule them out due to their experience, their strength of schedule, and coaching. Especially if they’re peaking at the right time, they may make a deep run.
Aurora has the easiest path to ursuline, most likely.

My thoughts:

Ursuline is the clear favorite to win this region, followed by Aurora and Kenston. The Bombers have a really great offense, and Aurora has made deep playoff runs each of the last few years. They also have a great defense that has performed well throughout the course of the season. Since Chardon is on the opposite side of Ursuline, they can't be looked past either. If anyone was able to make a deep run in this region, the Toppers are a safe bet for sure.

Other teams to look out for:
Akron East has the speed and the athletes to hang with anyone in Region 9. I would have liked their chances if they were a seed higher, but even if they beat Canfield, Ursuline is a tall task. Canfield is the defending state champion, and will be a tough out. If they beat East and also pull off an upset against Ursuline, who knows what happens from here...

Dover is battle tested, and they've closed the season with four wins in a row after starting off 2-4. Two of those wins have come against playoff bound Indian Valley and New Philadelphia, respectively.

I am not sleeping on Alliance, especially with their offense. Brendan Zurbrugg is one of the top QBs in the area. However, if the Aviators are still dealing with injuries, and/or their defense struggles, this may be a short stay. BUT if any team could pull an upset in the first round, it would be them.
VASJ has the 2 best backs in the region and maybe the most talent as a team, we'll see if the coach can figure out how to use them both more regularly

I respect Canfield and their program, but I can tell you Ursuline is licking their chops for that rematch. If Broc Lowry isn't running onto that field, I dont see Canfield being able to compete with Ursuline.
Agreed, Broc Lowry was an absolute difference maker. Canfield is always a tough out but they just don't have enough talent to do it this year. 4, 10 and 11 are studs but I don't see them having enough offense to hang around with Ursiline.

Region 9 Round 1 matchups:

16. New Philadelphia @ 1. Ursuline - Stambaugh Stadium (YSU)

15. Hawken @ 2. Geneva - Spire Institute

14. Alliance @ 3. Aurora - Aurora HS

13. Dover @ 4. Kenston - Kenston HS

12. University School @ 5. VASJ - Brush HS

11. Madison @ 6. Gilmour Academy - Gilmour Academy

10. CVCA @ 7. Chardon - Chardon HS

9. Canfield @ 8. Akron East - Ellet HS

Rd 1 picks:

Ursuline over New Phila

Geneva over Hawken

Aurora over Alliance

Kenston over Dover

VASJ over US

Madison over Gilmour *Upset pick

Chardon over CVCA

Canfield over East
If Dover wins that would upset the apple cart for round 2 games for sure. Also madison over Gilmour would not be an upset, but most probable.

Last edited:
I am confident that Canfield should beat everyone in the playoffs this year with the exception of Ursuline, Kenston and Chardon. I am also confident that in the 2nd round Ursuline will slaughter Canfield if they should make it that far.

I am confident that Canfield should beat everyone in the playoffs this year with the exception of Ursuline, Kenston and Chardon. I am also confident that in the 2nd round Ursuline will slaughter Canfield if they should make it that far.
We’ll see. Let’s talk after the Akron game.

VASJ has the 2 best backs in the region and maybe the most talent as a team, we'll see if the coach can figure out how to use them both more regularly

The kid from Kenston is the best RB in the region. Probably the best overall player.

Ursuline over New Phila

Geneva over Hawken

Aurora over Alliance

Dover over Kenston, upset possibilty

VASJ over US

Madison over Gilmour

Chardon over CVCA

Canfield over East
This would result in a round 2:

Ursuline vs Dover

Geneva vs Madison

Aurora vs Canfield

VASJ vs Chardon

Now that would be a great Round 2??

I am sure but I have seen both play and the kid from Kenston is more explosive. He is also a really good defensive player.
Yes I also believe that the Patrick kid from Kenston is better, but just saying you might get some debating from them. Ursuline does have 2 really good athletes that are receivers with Ferrell, and Taylor

Yes I also believe that the Patrick kid from Kenston is better, but just saying you might get some debating from them. Ursuline does have 2 really good athletes that are receivers with Ferrell, and Taylor

After seeing a good chunk of region 9 football this fall, I can't help but wonder what that RB Lowry from Eastlake North would
look like on a team like Chardon, Kenston, Dover...he is the one quickest kids ive seen in a long time, has top speed on top of that and has stop and go moves that makes Patrick look average.
That all being said it's Ursulines region to win/lose. Dover and Madison I think have best chance at an upset 1st round. Chardon isn't really a "sleeper" so wouldn't be surprised if they make it to regional finals. Kenston and VASJ have plenty of athletes to threaten everybody.

After seeing a good chunk of region 9 football this fall, I can't help but wonder what that RB Lowry from Eastlake North would
look like on a team like Chardon, Kenston, Dover...he is the one quickest kids ive seen in a long time, has top speed on top of that and has stop and go moves that makes Patrick look average.
That all being said it's Ursulines region to win/lose. Dover and Madison I think have best chance at an upset 1st round. Chardon isn't really a "sleeper" so wouldn't be surprised if they make it to regional finals. Kenston and VASJ have plenty of athletes to threaten everybody.
I don't know if anyone is going to make Patrick look average, that dude looks like the real deal. Dover has a guy like him who will line up all over the field and makes plays along with a couple more that are very capable as well.

Agree that Chardon isn't a sleeper, they are a frontrunner every year and Kenston and VASJ can definitely make some noise.

Chardon and Geneva will be a great 2nd round matchup. It is probably the most difficult team Geneva could’ve played that early. It is too bad Ellet upset East. Then Ursuline would have had to deal with Chardon

Chardon and Geneva will be a great 2nd round matchup. It is probably the most difficult team Geneva could’ve played that early. It is too bad Ellet upset East. Then Ursuline would have had to deal with Chardon
Geneva was actually in line to have to play Canfield in the 2nd round if chalk had held in week 10. So not quite as good as Chardon but the defending state champions nonetheless.

How does the OHSAA bracket work? Is it a standard predetermined bracket like the NCAA basketball tournament? Or does the highest seed continually play the lowest seed throughout?

How does OHSAA brackets work? Is it a standard predetermined bracket like the NCAA basketball tournament? Or does the highest seed continually play the lowest seed throughout?
Ursuline gets East or Canfield in round 2 no matter what, there is no reseeding or rebracketing after each or any round. In round 3, Ursuline gets Kenston or Dover.

1698066802792.png

Curious to see how Alliance does. They are not a great team but a good team with some great players. Kind of reminds me of Buchtel. Not a typical 14. They are unpredictable .

I believe the favorites to advance to the region semi-finals are Kenston vs Ursuline and Chardon vs Aurora. The general consensus is Ursuline as the team to beat in the region, though I wouldn't be surprised to see them upset by Kenston. The Bombers are a much better team than people seem to be giving them credit for. In the lower bracket, Chardon has been peaking in their past several games-- finally correcting self-inflicted mistakes that cost them a few early wins. Though it's always hard to look past Aurora, I somewhat expect a WRC rematch between Kenston and Chardon in the region finals.

Other high seeds have built their resume versus D4 or lower opponents, while the above four teams have been preparing against D3 and higher oppenents; some of which are highly ranked. While that doesn't mean the others should be taken lightly, it does question their readiness to now play against a higher level of competition.

Last edited:
VASJ got clearance from the OHSAA to host their playoff game against University School on campus for those interested in attending/following the game instead of moving to a neutral site as it was originally tentative to be held at Brooklyn.

I don't think CVCA will beat Chardon but I think it will be closer than the experts are thinking. CVCA has a good set of skill players and can control the clock with the running game. I think Chardon still wins but it should be an entertaining game.

I believe the favorites to advance to the region semi-finals are Kenston vs Ursuline and Chardon vs Aurora. The general consensus is Ursuline as the team to beat in the region, though I wouldn't be surprised to see them upset by Kenston. The Bombers are a much better team than people seem to be giving them credit for. In the lower bracket, Chardon has been peaking in their past several games-- finally correcting self-inflicted mistakes that cost them a few early wins. Though it's always hard to look past Aurora, I somewhat expect a WRC rematch between Kenston and Chardon in the region finals.
Chardon is pissed off since their loss to Kenston,I don’t think anyone wants to see them til the regional finals