D2 R7 semi Anthony Wayne vs Olentangy

AW coach's strength is defense but the schedule lacked. Now that the team has had a taste of larger-deeper team, I think they'll adjust and keep them in the game. This is pretty much the norm for NW Ohio larger division teams. First games are adjusting to what the rest of the state brings.

Alberts I think was their 2nd QB down this year. They must have a good pipeline in the position. Though it takes an athlete off the field losing Alberts and hits them in depth, if they can estabish run to give the defense time to rest, again I think they'll stay in.

I wouldve thought AW would win by about 10-14 with Alberts but now I really think Olentangy has a good chance. The Generals first game against Findlay they were playing with Alberts at wr and really struggled to score until an injury forced him into action at qb and they never looked back. Brungard is a good coach and theyll adjust and have some wrinkles with a different qb with different strengths but I think losing that kind of playmaker is tough to overcome. The defense is good but probably not quite as good as it seemed through league play and without Alberts this one might be a little too much for them, should be a close game.

I wouldve thought AW would win by about 10-14 with Alberts but now I really think Olentangy has a good chance. The Generals first game against Findlay they were playing with Alberts at wr and really struggled to score until an injury forced him into action at qb and they never looked back. Brungard is a good coach and theyll adjust and have some wrinkles with a different qb with different strengths but I think losing that kind of playmaker is tough to overcome. The defense is good but probably not quite as good as it seemed through league play and without Alberts this one might be a little too much for them, should be a close game.
Yes, Albert's was at WR to start but the injury to the original starter in the 1st quarter (who's name escapes me) pushed him into QB action. The remaining 3 quarters of that game against Findlay were definitely an adjustment with AW scoring twice in the last 5 minutes.

I want to know more about Olentangy. I've been at every game of AW this year. Defense is solid. Had a rough game against Berlin but got the stops when they needed to.

Scott and Renninger will be a lot more important now.

I've developed a lot of respect for AW's coach over the years that Avon shared the same region with the NWO schools. His Perrysburg D's were technically sound, hard-hitting and not easy to beat. He expanded on all of that as HC at AW. If Coach Elder ever left Avon, Coach Brungard would be on my speed-dial if I were the AD. AW is going to make anyone earn a win at this point. The program has reached that level where every opponent knows they have been in a four quarter fight. Good luck to the Generals!

The first thing to understand about Olentangy is that they are very well coached, Solis served on the Team USA developmental program and was the OC for the 17-18 yr old national team in 2017.

Tangy is going to spread it out and throw and has 3 very dangerous receivers who are 6'2" 6'3" and 6'5", their receivers are MUCH more dangerous than Berlin's are. But their QB is not quite as good a thrower as Berlin's was, though he is more of a threat to run.

Defensively is where I scratch my head about what is actually going to happen in this game. With only one running threat in Scott and no demonstrated passing game to speak of, I expect they will key multiple players on Scott and make someone else beat them. That said, Tangy has been weak against the run in places and is lacking some of the major DL talent and size it normally has (starters at Ball St and MSU currently).

Watching AWs defense last week, Tangy is DEFINITELY going to score points. It's a highly complex, Oregon-style offense that stresses defenses and forces you into bad decisions, and you can't just key on 1 or 2 players. I'm leaning Tangy in the game, but it is possible with turnovers and success controlling the ball and keeping it away from Tangy's offense that AW could still win this game.

If Alberts were playing, you very easily could have been looking at a 45-49 type game and I definitely would like AW to win, as he can just score at will and I know there's nobody on Tangy's defense who can contain him. But if it is grit on grit, will have to see how that goes, it gives Tangy a much better chance to win the game. This will be a very fun matchup.

The disparity in the strength of schedules is astonishing in this match-up . Wayne losing that QB is terrible and potential game changer here.

Wayne schedule included only two D-1 opponents , Perrysburg who is OK but not a challenge for them this year and 4-6 Findlay . Signature win was Toledo St Johns Jesuit and a narrow win vs Toledo DeSales . They beat two 1-9 teams both D-2 , and beat a D-3 and a D-4 team . Berlin was a 24 point dog they beat by 8 but with the caveat that the QB going out hurt them.

Tangy has seen more size and speed than Wayne has and it's not close . Westy Central , Olentangy Liberty , Coffman , Olentangy Orange , Westerville South , New Albany hammered a team still alive in R-3 in week 10 . Wayne is a 16 point favorite here per Pasteur.

Tangy had the third toughest schedule in all of D-2 which explains their 5-5 record . Now they aren't a great run stop team and that Wayne QB would have been a real handful , but Tangy offense is a biotch to defend , they can move it on most folks and they catch you flat footed and out of position as much as any offense. They don't pound the rock well usually of course that was mostly against very good opponents who I mention up above, . Troy had trouble . Wayne defense looks good , a lot of shutouts but this will be a good challenge for them . 16 is too high especially with the QB out but I agree with Kramerica , this is a fun match-up

Frost-Kalnow Stadium in Tiffin is one of my all time favorite stadiums.

Coached too many HS games there to remember and played there in college.
Tiffin is a cool little town and always liked it a lot.

Hey Seneca County guys, is the Clover Club still the place to grab a drink and snack before the game or are there a few others also within walking distance too?