Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

proudedsgrad87

Wow!! Cannot believe we have the same matchup for three straight years!

With that being said, my early thoughts are pretty positive for St. Ed’s in this game. We saw them get enough stops the past two years while controlling the clock, and I expect much of the same this year.

Any input or predictions?

Eds will control the time of possession with their ground game and line, 3-5 TD game
Exactly my thought process. Though, earlier in the season has shown Eds has somewhat of an issue defending the pass. I do believe in Pappas to put together an elite gameplan (as he has the past two years against this team) and feel confident that we can get enough stops to win this game.

Guys Ohioriverboyyy will tell You guys about World Beater Springfield starting at 12am until Kickoff. Hopefully Ed’s 55 and Springfield 7 next week😁

Springfield is the real deal and deserves a ton of credit this year as nobody talks about them, everybody wrote them off early in the year, yet here they are. That said, it was always Ed's this year.

Guys Ohioriverboyyy will tell You guys about World Beater Springfield starting at 12am until Kickoff. Hopefully Ed’s 55 and Springfield 7 next week😁
Well, Springfield did beat Moeller, the almighty GCL and R4 for the 3rd straight year didn't they? And you're one to talk because all week, weren't you the one talking about World Beater Moeller and how SHS can't match up against their invincible O-line, how this is Moeller's best team since 2013 that SHS can't touch, running clock and all? Please take your reverse psychology elsewhere. You have no business on the state championship game thread. SHS's defense made sure of that...

Eds will likely be too much. How is the defensive line for them this year?
It's important to remember the two prior state championship games were both lost in the 2d quarter when Eds got on a roll and scored some quick points in succession before halftime due to mistakes and giving up big plays. Otherwise, the teams matched up pretty evenly in the 1st qtr and second halves in both games. Last year, it was 21-14 early in the 4th qtr until Eds scored a TD to seal it. Still, the teams forged a 7-7 tie in both the 1st qtr and in the 2d half. If SHS can stay composed and find a way to prevent that big 14-21 point scoring outburst we saw in the 2d quarters of the prior games and instead keep it a one score game heading into the 4th, they have a chance to pull the upset despite Eds size advantage. But if that scoring outburst happens again, it will probably be too big of a hole to dig out of.

You have to think the 38-country all-star team will be the favorite, but big Mo will have his guys ready.
Isn't it over 50 counties now across 3 states? Also, I have to think a close game favors SHS. Except for the playoff opener at Wayne, every one of SHS's playoff games has been a nailbiter on the road against a heavily favored opponent that came down to the final play. 3 playoff opponents are ranked in the AP poll top 10, with Olentangy in the top 5. In contrast, St Eds has cruised to victory throughout the playoffs with no adversity whatsoever. In the last 3 playoff games, SHS trailed at halftime and only had 1 TD before they took over in the 2d half. This time, the 3rd time hopefully will be the charm.

Last edited:
Incredible that Springfield made it back to the title game against. Credit to the kids on that team.

IMO, the end result will be a loss to Eds. I could be wrong, but this class at Eds seems destined for the 3 peat. Again could be wrong

You have to think the 38-country all-star team will be the favorite, but big Mo will have his guys ready.
I have watched these 2 teams play each other the last 2 years, while Douglas is good at bringing in All Star talent at the skill positions, Eds has had a big advantage on the lines. That skill talent doesn't do much good when the QB is laying on his back or the rb's are getting hit before they get to the LOS.

I have watched these 2 teams play each other the last 2 years, while Douglas is good at bringing in All Star talent at the skill positions, Eds has had a big advantage on the lines. That skill talent doesn't do much good when the QB is laying on his back or the rb's are getting hit before they get to the LOS.
It all comes down to this. As long as eds keeps the lines talent advantage, the rest of our schools are just kidding themselves. Back in the day, it was our recipe for success too

Isn't it over 50 counties now across 3 states? Also, I have to think a close game favors SHS. Except for the playoff opener at Wayne, every one of SHS's playoff games has been a nailbiter on the road against a heavily favored opponent that came down to the final play. 3 playoff opponents are ranked in the AP poll top 10, with Olentangy in the top 5. In contrast, St Eds has cruised to victory throughout the playoffs with no adversity whatsoever. In the last 3 playoff games, SHS trailed at halftime and only had 1 TD before they took over in the 2d half. This time, the 3rd time hopefully will be the charm.
I'm going to be brutally honest bro and I'm not even trying to be a a-hole nothing in this game favors Springfield at all

At this point, Eds needs luck?
Moeller sure did. And, they've matched up well with St Eds and played them very tough - down to the wire - the last 3 games haven't they? They won one and very nearly won the other two which were 1 score games that weren't decided until the very end.

Moeller sure did. And, they've matched up well with St Eds very tough the last 3 games haven't they? They won one and very nearly won the other two.
I was answering the lake Catholic guy who was angry earlier this season when another Ignatius poster repeatedly said Eds would roll to the title game. And they did.

It’s not luck and it won’t be Friday night. They’ve been the best program in D1 since 2010.

I was answering the lake Catholic guy who was angry earlier this season when another Ignatius poster repeatedly said Eds would roll to the title game. And they did.

It’s not luck and it won’t be Friday night. They’ve been the best program in D1 since 2010.
I agree St Eds is the heavy favorite next week. Just saying SHS pulling the upset would be a reach but not impossible. IMO, it will come down to who really wants it more. And in all 5 playoff games so far, SHS wanted it more.

Then, you don't know nothing about Springfield's team this year. Remember, they've been here 3 years in a row too. And, every single playoff opponent they faced this year was heavily favored to beat them. Yet, here we are ...
But again and none of them playoff opponents that they played have been St. Eds. I think it is a great story that Springfield is even in this position I'm not going to lie I can admit when I'm wrong I wrote Springfield off weeks ago but yet here they are but they just do not have what it takes to beat Ed's. I don't think you understand how truthfully dominant the Eagles are I have watched them up close and when I tell you they are as advertised they are every bit of what everybody is saying they are. The underdog story is great but it can only get you so far that's why I made the statement nothing that Springfield has to offer in this game favors them. The game is going to be won or lost in the trenches and I have seen nobody be able to handle Ed's in the trenches other than Massillon. I hear a lot about how good springfield's skill positions are but that can only get you so far because the way Ed's is going to play the game is by playing a physical brand of football and running the ball down your throat and killing the clock and just leaning on you. I just don't see Springfield being able to match their physicality

But again and none of them playoff opponents that they played have been St. Eds. I think it is a great story that Springfield is even in this position I'm not going to lie I can admit when I'm wrong I wrote Springfield off weeks ago but yet here they are but they just do not have what it takes to beat Ed's. I don't think you understand how truthfully dominant the Eagles are I have watched them up close and when I tell you they are as advertised they are every bit of what everybody is saying they are. The underdog story is great but it can only get you so far that's why I made the statement nothing that Springfield has to offer in this game favors them. The game is going to be one or lost in the trenches and I have seen nobody be able to handle Ed's in the trenches othan Massillon. I hear a lot about how good springfield's skill positions are but that can only get you so far because the way Ed's is going to play the game is by playing a physical brand of football and running the ball down your throat and killing the clock and just leaning on you. I just don't see Springfield being able to match their physicality
I just don't believe in going by what's on paper for every game. Upsets happen all the time. With Gideon and Kilbane gone, St Eds may not be quite as invincible as they were with them. Also, SHS has a much better run game now compared to last year. So far in the playoffs, SHS has made adjustments and took over in the 2d half while completely disrupting opponents' offenses. They've outscored opponents big time in the 4th Qtr. And of course, dont discount the emotion of the revenge factor. This is a familiar foe.

ORB - Can the QB run or is he a pocket passer? Ed’s typically struggles with running QB’s that can extend the games by picking up first downs.

I just don't believe in going by what's on paper for every game. Upsets happen all the time. With Gideon and Kilbane gone, St Eds may not be quite as invincible as they were with them. Also, SHS has a much better run game now compared to last year. So far in the playoffs, SHS has made adjustments and took over in the 2d half while completely disrupting opponents' offenses. They've outscored opponents big time in the 4th Qtr. And of course, dont discount the emotion of the revenge factor. This is a familiar foe.
Them two defensive ends from Ed's last year were some dogs but they have another one now that's a four-star recruit committed to Notre Dame Logan Thomas #9 . I mean I understand what you're saying but nobody has yet to do that to them this year or at least in the playoffs and I understand you supposed to have confidence in your team absolutely but this is a whole different animals

Them two defensive ends from Ed's last year were some dogs but they have another one now that's a four-star recruit committed to Notre Dame Logan Thomas #9 . I mean I understand what you're saying but nobody has yet to do that to them this year or at least in the playoffs and I understand you supposed to have confidence in your team absolutely but this is a whole different animals
Then it's long overdue. Despite how St Eds is the heavy favorite, the way the Cats have played in this year's playoffs, I have complete confidence they can and will pull off this upset. They're not satisfied with just showing up anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.