Covid Cancellations

5x26

Dr. Fauci has served 5 other Presidents well. He has saved millions of lives. Now, all of a sudden, he is trashed by President Trump. The common denominator for all the chaos is Trump. Everything is a conspiracy and everyone is an idiot all of a sudden. I understand that looking at total number of positive tests might mean little as that could be a function of more testing. However, the % of positive tests is going way up. The number of people being hospitalized is going way up. Those are critical numbers.

Makes no sense to me to deny a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. The only reason some of you are is because your political party has handled it so poorly. You would have been very angry if H1N1 or Ebola or Zika got this bad in the US. Remember H1N1 a lot of schools closed for some time, but it was much better handled. The spread was not allowed to happen because people coming into the country were properly screened and quarantined.

Number one thing with Covid is you can't let it overrun the Healthcare system. We are failing to do that. We still do not properly trace it. That has to be a Federal thing. The refusal to do that is keeping this a disaster.
We are so far from healthcare being overrun. Stop spreading lies.

Mr. Slippery

Keep thinking you know more than you do That in itself is vastly more dangerous to anyone reading this than the virus itself.
That's the spirit! Sheer ignorance, FTW. Let's go!

As my HS physics teacher used to say, "the more you know, the more you realize you don't know much."

Last edited:

mathking

U
Keep thinking you know more than you do That in itself is vastly more dangerous to anyone reading this than the virus itself.
One of us laid out actual experience with the kind of data we are talking about and then said even that doesn't make him an expert. One of us said "I thankfully have strong knowledge on this subject." And decried "virtue signaling" while doing it.

Rohbino

We are so far from healthcare being overrun. Stop spreading lies.
You're sort of right, Dr. Atlas. The system is not yet overrun. That said, the trends are not encouraging. Because of what my company does, I have access to the numbers of critical care beds that are available at any point in time in every county in the United States. Because I am a fastidious data hound, I follow those numbers closely. I also look for any advantage that I can get vs my competitors and there is a lot of different data that allow me to do that.

Last Wednesday I posted in this thread the numbers of critical care beds that were open and available in the state of Ohio and in the three largest counties in Ohio. Last Wednesday there was a total of 3758 critical care beds in Ohio and of that number I stated that ≈ 2600 of those were full with about 1158 open beds. I did not quote the exact occupancies. As of today, the exact number of critical care beds in Ohio is 3746 and 2715 of those are occupied. Today we have about 127 less critical care beds than we did five days ago. I realize that the total number of critical care beds was twelve more 5 days ago than it is today but the total number of beds is not a static number. There are a multitude of factors that affect that number and those factors are outside of the scope of this discussion. I should also note that I am not drawing the conclusion that the decreasing number of available beds is due to increased hospitalizations from covid. There are a lot of reasons that patients end up in a critical care setting - trauma, surgery, medical reasons, etc. Covid is a contributing factor, though.

In the earlier post I also noted the number of available critical care beds in Cuyahoga (200), Franklin (120), and Hamilton (100) counties. Today Cuyahoga is fairly steady with 198 open critical care beds, Franklin has 105 beds, and Hamilton has 75 open beds. The numbers of general medical-surgical beds are following similar trends. More than likely, at this same time next week, those vacancies will be even less. The other factor to keep in mind when looking at the data is to know the facility that has the bed availability. Not all medical centers are the same. Some are much better equipped to handle sicker patients. There is a lot of disparity amongst facilities.

I know that you have a narrative that you are wishing to promote, Dr. Atlas. Methinks that most of your narrative has a political bent to it. That's not a surprise. We'll see where this all goes but know that we have the reality of what is happening and it is backed by data and then there is fantasy and distortions of what is happening and that is backed by politics and wishful thinking.

Rohbino

An ICU bed is not an ICU bed if it is not staffed with ICU medical staff.
Staffing is one of the factors that I alluded to. As I said, there are a "multitude of factors." As a country we are, indeed, not moving in the right direction and are moving toward a state of being "overrun."

Some need to maintain the narrative that "we're rounding the corner" until November 3. We will not be rounding the corner until a vaccine is readily available and folks start taking all of this a bit more seriously.

Last edited: