Commonly mislocated schools

So you're saying that high schools, like most everything else, can be located by their mailing address?

Weird.
True.

But, the mailing address of a school can be misleading as to its physical location. And that leads to the gist of the thread.

Last edited:
Not weird at all. Shawnee does not have a post office and is serviced by Lima post office, so address is Lima. This happens quite a bit around the state/country

Especially considering the only thing resembling a town around there, Fort Shawnee, voted to disincorporate in 2012.

True.

But, the mailing address of a school can be misleading as to its physical location. And that leads to the gist of the thread.

If you want to say that, you could also say a large percentage of the population is misleading with their home address, considering anyone living outside of a city/village limits still has a town listed in their mailing address.

Same thing.

Using my home of Defiance for example. The city has a population of a little over 16,000 and an area that takes up about half of Defiance Township and part of Richland and Noble.

The zip code is HUGE. Takes up pretty much all of eastern Defiance County and parts of Paulding and Henry County as well. There's something like 9 or 10 townships served by the Defiance zip code, and that area has a population of over 28,000.

So are those 12,000 extra people misleading by having Defiance addresses but not living in the city?

The Sandusky River actually flows north and is the only river in Ohio to do so
Others have already cited other examples, but I'll explain further. There is a ridge of land running primarily through the northern half of the state known as the Ohio Divide. Any waterway north of it is part of the Lake Erie watershed. Any waterway south of it is part of the Ohio River watershed. Akron sits more or less right on the divide. The Cuyahoga River flows in from north to south into the north part of town and then turns north to flow to Lake Erie. Meanwhile, the Tuscarawas River skirts the south part of Akron before ultimately turning south and flowing to Coshocton where it joins the Wallhonding to form the Muskingum River which empties into the Ohio River at Marietta.

Same idea as the Continental Divide which directs all water west of it to the Pacific and all water east of it to either the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean.

Aaaaaahhhhh, well THAT splains the Great Lakes.

NorthAmerica-WaterDivides.png

Technically,
Bath, Shawnee and Perry high schools are not really in Lima, Ohio. They are referred to as Lima Bath, Lima Shawnee and Lima Perry but are not really in the city nor even its limits remotely. They all have Lima zip codes (in fact shawnee and perry share the same zip code some how). I have even seen Perry referred to as Cridersville Perry. Cridersville is a small town in southern Allen / northern Auglaize counties and has NO affiliation whatsoever with Perry schools. Kids who attend Cridersville Elementary go to Wapakoneta HS in fact.

Bishop Fenwick for years I've seen listed as Middletown Bishop Fenwick. Clearly they have a Franklin, OH address though.

Having played at Lima Senior back in the GMC days, I now realize that Sycamore, Princeton, etc... are not really in Cincinnati haha. Princeton does have a cincy address but Sycamore is listed in the town of Montgomery, OH.
Technically, Fenwick is in Middletown. The land was annexed in to Middletown years ago. Middletown police and Middletown fire protect and serve the school. Employees of Fenwick pay taxes to Middletown. It is a Franklin zip because it is more efficient for the post office to have the school as a Franklin zip code.

The difference there is that the actual name of the school is Dayton Christian. Dayton isn't arbitrarily being added by some other entity to try to describe its location better.
It was actually in Dayton at one point if I remember right.

Yes, I know it is their name. But still it's not in Dayton either.

While not a high school Walbridge Elementary School is not in Walbridge, Ohio (minutes outside Toledo) but is instead in the south end of Toledo and is part of Toledo Public Schools.

Lincolnview High School has a Van Wert address but does not serve Van Wert the city, it serves the eastern half of Van Wert county.

While not a high school Walbridge Elementary School is not in Walbridge, Ohio (minutes outside Toledo) but is instead in the south end of Toledo and is part of Toledo Public Schools.

Walbridge Elementary is on Walbridge St. All named after Henry Walbridge I imagine. Walbridge, Ohio kids now go to Lake Elementary, which doesn't actually have a lake. I don't think they even have a puddle. Well ok, they have some retention ponds that they call lakes. And they abutt Northwood, which is neither north nor has any woods. It barely has trees.

Last edited:
Was mentioned earlier but before South Range had a Canfield post address . They were North Lima South Range!! No where near Lima and the North/ South was strange!!

North Lima is in Mahoning County outside of Youngstown, not Lima in Allen County. So it really wasn’t strange as the old school was situated in North Lima, Ohio.

It was actually in Dayton at one point if I remember right.

Yes, I know it is their name. But still it's not in Dayton either.

They were in Downtown Dayton for many years then purchased an old NCR building in Miamisburg less than 20 years ago.

Cincinnati Christian, who disbanded their football program, has an elementary in Fairfield and a Junior/Senior High in Fairfield Township-about 25 to 30 miles from downtown depending on how you go.

While not technically sound, it's not uncommon for all kinds of businesses etc. to use the name for a major city in their name when they really are serving more of a region/metro area ie Greater Cincinnati, Greater Columbus etc. and are not physically located in the city proper.

While not technically sound, it's not uncommon for all kinds of businesses etc. to use the name for a major city in their name when they really are serving more of a region/metro area ie Greater Cincinnati, Greater Columbus etc. and are not physically located in the city proper.
I totally appreciate the idea of a business, school, etc. naming itself whatever it chooses. What I don't like is another entity, like the media or the OHSAA, adding ANOTHER name to the REAL name for their own purposes.

Wayne High School
5400 Chambersburg Road
Huber Heights, OH 45424

Turns out it is the mailing address.

Weird.
You act as if Huber Heights has some type of National identity. Ask people from out of state where Huber Heights Oh is and without searching, they don’t have a clue.

I always wondered if Warren G. Harding high school was located in Warren, Ohio, shouldn't the high school be referred to as Warren Warren G. Harding high?

I always wondered if Warren G. Harding high school was located in Warren, Ohio, shouldn't the high school be referred to as Warren Warren G. Harding high?
Generally, last name only when a school is named for a person. EXCEPT JFK or MLK, in my experience.

Warren Harding makes sense that way and as Warren G. Harding.

I totally appreciate the idea of a business, school, etc. naming itself whatever it chooses. What I don't like is another entity, like the media or the OHSAA, adding ANOTHER name to the REAL name for their own purposes.

Yes-that part is annoying and confusing.

My first OHSAA experience was a playoff game involving Colerain in the 90s in the state semis. Announcer continually referred to us at Cincinnati Colerain. Was really more bizarre or annoying than anything since that's not really the official name. Seemed overkill especially since there are only two teams involved. Could understand it a little more in say track or wrestling.
It's not a mislocation per se, but I appreciate the irony of Cincinnati Christian being in Fairfield while Fairfield Christian is in Lancaster.

I have a friend who coached at Fairfield Christian when they were starting their program under Daubenmire. They actually came to Cincinnati to play a game against a club team called Landmark Christian. I went to watch/see my friend and a lot of Landmark fans thought they were the Cincinnati Christian in Fairfield. Definitely was confusing for some.

According to OHSAA it is Wooster Triway as that is the postal address. Such as Mogadore Field, Atwater Waterloo, Ravenna Southeast and Mantua Crestwood here in Portage county.
That's not really true. The OHSAA refers to it as 'Triway.' However, they also utilize what they call a tournament name. That's where they call them 'Wooster Triway.' Unfortunately, that's the name that always gets used.

1592937777337.png

I remember when Mogadore Field hosted a playoff game. I was in the village of Mogadore where Mogadore Local school is. A driver stopped me and said " I was just at Mogadore's field and no game there ". I had to explain that the OHSAA uses the postal address of the schools when listing tournament sites and directed the person to the Mogadore Field local stadium about 4 miles east!!

More than 40 years ago I had a job interview in Elmore for Woodmore High School in the morning and another interview at Elmwood HS in the afternoon. I was a little confused.

The best mislocated school story I ever heard is decades older. Maybe back in the fifties a man showed up at the Clyde board office for a job interview with Kalida Schools. Clyde/Kalida, they're only 75 miles apart. After the confusion was sorted out Clyde hired him. He retired from Clyde after teaching and coaching multiple sports at the high school and junior high. Generations of Fliers called him Coach.

Would that be Art?

I know when Mogadore plays Mogadore Field at Mogadore's Field we all know who is who.

Kind of funny but back in the day I was dating a Mogadore teacher's daughter (Walter Evans). He lived in Suffield and so did I. I wrestled in an offseason tournament and won but because my mailing address was Mogadore the paper listed me as from that town. Walt dogged me for a whole summer.

Are you sure? Are there some areas in the Triway School District inside the Wooster City limits?

Wooster Township Elementary is right across the street from the Ag College. If there is some sharing it's probably minimal.

Last edited: