Club 2022-2023

X will still be very good with a TON of depth. It will be interesting to see what lineup they settle on in the season

OHs - Meyer, Tressler, Berkemeier
MHs - Jones, Shields, Boyett, Bender
OPPs - Shields, Terrell, Pung
S - Berkemeier, Tran
L - Stewart, Krebs, Byrum

That's 14 guys that would see the court on every other team in the state IMO

Walnut will again be very relient on the OHs. I did not see Limoco on any club team roster, but the senior Wilkins is back at Attack. Both would be starters for Walnut.

OH - Wheatley, Tombragel
MH - Wilkins, ?
OPP - Moyer
S - Limoco?
L - Dinardo
I think Walnut's gonna be down compared to last year. They'll still be a top 10 team in the state because of their OHs, but when Smith-Trondle went down against X, they fell apart. If Limoco is the setter from the start then it'll likely be better than what we saw because all of their hitters will be able to get used to him and find a groove, but Smith-Trondle was also so good as an offensive and defensive threat at the net and they're gonna really miss that. IMO, state is gonna come down to X and/or Moe; depends on what the format looks like.

I think Walnut's gonna be down compared to last year. They'll still be a top 10 team in the state because of their OHs, but when Smith-Trondle went down against X, they fell apart. If Limoco is the setter from the start then it'll likely be better than what we saw because all of their hitters will be able to get used to him and find a groove, but Smith-Trondle was also so good as an offensive and defensive threat at the net and they're gonna really miss that. IMO, state is gonna come down to X and/or Moe; depends on what the format looks like.
Agreed - I think if you give another guy time at setter all year they'll be able to adjust. We saw with Hilliard Bradley a few years ago that top talent at OH can carry a team against a more well rounded team. Bradley took a set from the eventual state champions, Moeller, at state. I'm not sure I'd say either of Walnut's OHs are at Gilbert's level, but when you have 2 great players compared to 1, I think they could hang. The offensive system has to be built for them. And they have better surrounding pieces than Gilbert did at Bradley.

Agreed - I think if you give another guy time at setter all year they'll be able to adjust. We saw with Hilliard Bradley a few years ago that top talent at OH can carry a team against a more well rounded team. Bradley took a set from the eventual state champions, Moeller, at state. I'm not sure I'd say either of Walnut's OHs are at Gilbert's level, but when you have 2 great players compared to 1, I think they could hang. The offensive system has to be built for them. And they have better surrounding pieces than Gilbert did at Bradley.
No player since Gilbert has been close to his level. His versatility and power are unmatched. Now I understand that he basically got all the sets, but I remember reading he either got 674 or 694 kills in that 2021 season. No OH we’ve seen since (Maune, Bennison, Halverson, Koknat) could carry a team the way he carried his team.

The guy who has experience on the USA U-19 team didn't have anyone ALL OF 2022 that was as good as him. All joking aside, no one would disagree with what you are saying

Vanguard still doesn't have teams listed, and in addition their website domain is currently available which is strange.

That being said, I heard Peter Wilke, the big junior from Roger Bacon, is headed up to play with Vanguard.

Vanguard still doesn't have teams listed, and in addition their website domain is currently available which is strange.

That being said, I heard Peter Wilke, the big junior from Roger Bacon, is headed up to play with Vanguard.
Yeah they were at Wittenberg but I didn’t get a chance to watch them play. They don’t have any playoff film on the archives recently either. What position is he?

Tyler is solid, but not spectacular defensively. He was a libero for his previous club team I believe (I could be wrong) even though he played OH for Carroll.

And yes, I would assume Harvey and Lanter will be starters and major contributors to 18-2. Stewart could give Harvey a run for his money.

My guesses:
OH1 - Lanter
OH2 - Tressler
S - Carmo
OH/OPP/S - Dollard
MB - Ray
MB/OPP - Shields
MB/OPP - Wilcox
DS - Harvey
DS - Stewart
I think 18-2s are going to be legit this year. Lanter, Harvey, Ray, and Dollard all on state teams from the past year bring great experience. And from what I’ve seen from Ray and Shields it will be a nightmare for opposing blocks. I’ll be interested to see where all of these guys commit if they do. I saw Baltimore committed to Indiana Tech today so congrats to him. This squad will be legit

I think 18-2s are going to be legit this year. Lanter, Harvey, Ray, and Dollard all on state teams from the past year bring great experience. And from what I’ve seen from Ray and Shields it will be a nightmare for opposing blocks. I’ll be interested to see where all of these guys commit if they do. I saw Baltimore committed to Indiana Tech today so congrats to him. This squad will be legit
Shields and Ray are BIG middles, but both a little on the slower side. They do help make up for the lack of size on the pins. Will be interesting to see if they run the 6-2 with Dollard as mentioned by others. I'd expect them to be Gold bracket challengers at MidWest Point series tournaments.

They gained some good players from last year's 17-1s, no doubt, but they also lost Hagerty to 18-1, who was the focal point of their offense last year, and will be running out 1 or 2 guys at setter who have either never played the position or haven't played competitive volleyball in over a year. Dollard is listed as an OH on Attack's website, but we'll see how accurate that is. This team's roster is much different than it was a year ago with only 3 guys returning. Assuming they run a 6-2, I think it'll look like:
S - Dollard
S - Carmo
OH1 - Lanter
OH2 - Tressler
MH1 - Shields
MH2 - Ray
Opp1 - Krebs
Opp2 - Wilcox
L - Harvey
DS - Baltimore

Could see Harvey and Baltimore rotate at L and DS. Lanter and Tressler are both decent to solid passers and defenders and you probably wanna be able to use them as back row attacking options.

Those that are "in the know" - what are the club teams line ups looking like for 17s and 18s? I assume Vanguard has set rosters by now.

1st Midwest Points Series event is in Indy this weekend. Any thoughts/predictions?
18u
16u
14u
Depending on who all they return, I think C2 would have to be the favorites in 18s - both their 17s and 18s should be pretty good. After that Attack and Academy have been pretty even in matches I saw last year.

Depending on who all they return, I think C2 would have to be the favorites in 18s - both their 17s and 18s should be pretty good. After that Attack and Academy have been pretty even in matches I saw last year.
I’d guess A2 18-1 is not as good this year. Definitely more scrappy and probably better ball control but lost a lot of hitting power and will miss kolwicz at setter.

1st Midwest Points Series event is in Indy this weekend. Any thoughts/predictions?
18u
16u
14u
My guess is C2 17-1s team or Attack 18-1s team as both team have lots of fire power. Academy is always tough especially in their own gym. But I wouldn't be shocked if C2 17 runs that show.

C2 17's was the best 16s team in the nation last year. They only dropped a couple of matches all season. I expect them, Academy 18s and Cinci Attack 18s to be levels above everyone else. I'll take C2 to win this particular tournament

C2 17's was the best 16s team in the nation last year. They only dropped a couple of matches all season. I expect them, Academy 18s and Cinci Attack 18s to be levels above everyone else. I'll take C2 to win this particular tournament
C2 has also played a few tournaments already I think - whereas this is the first for many other clubs.

Yes, you're right. My mistake.

Attack 18 Black beats Academy 18 Adidas in two close sets in the finals. The other two semi-finalists were A2 17 Red and C2 17-1.
A2 17 Red and C2 17-1 getting as far as they did is impressive. They both beat a couple 18s teams I believe.

A2 17 Red and C2 17-1 getting as far as they did is impressive. They both beat a couple 18s teams I believe.
Attack 18 Black looked very good for the 1st tournament. Very balanced attack. Looks like it will come down to Rings at setter but he does look very capable offensively with his long body.

Attack 18 Black looked very good for the 1st tournament. Very balanced attack. Looks like it will come down to Rings at setter but he does look very capable offensively with his long body.
If Rings can keep them in system, they'll be very tough. No glaring weaknesses. Height and depth with a good lib and solid DS.

I heard that Haggerty and Threm played mostly at OPP. Agreed that lots of of guys could be interchangeable at OPP which makes for interesting matchups.