Cleveland Browns 2024 Edition

Will not be surprised if the “tough” AFC North goes 0fer the playoffs. It would not surprise me at all to see Stroud and Co dispatch Lamar and the Ravens.

Will not be surprised if the “tough” AFC North goes 0fer the playoffs. It would not surprise me at all to see Stroud and Co dispatch Lamar and the Ravens.
It does not lessen how good the division is/was. The regular season matters. Playoffs are about matchups and getting healthy / hot at the right time.

Watson has not been to the playoffs since 2019. Here's his record since then:

2020: 4-12
2021: DNP
2022: 3-3 (suspension)
2023: 5-1 (injury)

I'm going with 7-10 in 2024. Schedule is too tough. As others have already said, backup QB is going to be the most crucial component of this team until 2026. The starting QB has played 12 games (really 11) out of the 52 he could have played in in the past three years.

The largest danger looming is the Haslams blowing it all up. You finally have a coach and FO that can compete with Tomlin, Harbaugh, and Marv/Taylor. Do not do this under any circumstance whatsoever because of your own mistake, Jimmydee.

Last edited:
So much BS:

I've grown weary of constantly hearing, " We have to do a better job" or " We'll learn from this." If you can't get up for the biggest game of the year, what good are you?
I would not have drafted either of them for different reasons, but they’re here now.

3 coaches fired including Van Pelt and Stump Mitchell? Hope this isn't the normal Haslam meddling garbage

I would not have drafted either of them for different reasons, but they’re here now.
You should be glad they are. Many experts say that those two plus Emerson gives the Browns the best trio of CBs in the league. Other than Ward's health issues, what is your beef with them?

3 coaches fired including Van Pelt and Stump Mitchell? Hope this isn't the normal Haslam meddling garbage
Yes, surprising. The team clearly overachieved, playing without Chubb and the top tackles all year, using 5 QBs. So you fire the offensive staff except for Callahan? WTH? Must either be philosophical / personality differences with Stefanski or meddling from the top.

You should be glad they are. Many experts say that those two plus Emerson gives the Browns the best trio of CBs in the league. Other than Ward's health issues, what is your beef with them?
Yeah, they were lights out against Houston…and on the road all year.

Ward, I would not have drafted due to his size.

Newsome is not fast enough to play outside and is limited to slot. There were other CBs available in that draft. The Newsome pick came out of left field.

I like Emerson and Ward is solid when healthy. Still, I would not have drafted Ward and Newsome.

Cleveland offensive scoring points per game
13th in the league
21st at home
10th away

Cleveland defense opponent scoring points per game
21st in the league
1st at home
last away

Just weird.

Cleveland offensive scoring points per game
13th in the league
21st at home
10th away

Cleveland defense opponent scoring points per game
21st in the league
1st at home
last away

Just weird.
Definitely weird. But we have to remember that "opponent scoring points per game" is not all on the defense. The Browns led the NFL in turnovers. There were 8 TDs (and 2 safeties) scored when the Browns offense or special teams were on the field. Flacco alone had 4 pick sixes. It's no excuse for under-performing on the road or in the playoffs, but definitely skews the stats.

Definitely weird. But we have to remember that "opponent scoring points per game" is not all on the defense. The Browns led the NFL in turnovers. There were 8 TDs (and 2 safeties) scored when the Browns offense or special teams were on the field. Flacco alone had 4 pick sixes. It's no excuse for under-performing on the road or in the playoffs, but definitely skews the stats.

All good points but these moves were done with one thought in mind: ‘How can we make our $230 million dollar guy Deshawn better?’

Simply put, Cleveland has not gotten anywhere close to the production one would hope/expect from a $230 million dollar qb.

All good points but these moves were done with one thought in mind: ‘How can we make our $230 million dollar guy Deshawn better?’

Simply put, Cleveland has not gotten anywhere close to the production one would hope/expect from a $230 million dollar qb.
I think all the moves were done, including trading for Watson, to make the team better. That’s happened. What hasn’t happened, due to suspension and injuries, is to get the $230 million performance out of Watson. Hopefully it happens in 2024, for the sake of the fans, team and Watson.

With Stump I understand. He's not well and frequently absent. Sucks that it says "fired" and that's bad locker room mojo.

Van Pelt and especially McCartney are a little more perplexing. Njoku finally shows up after all these years and you wanna dump the TE coach? Heck he even got the total bump on a log Harrison Bryant to do something.

Obviously Watson has under-performed. Everyone agrees.

What is not obvious is why this was your response to my post about the Browns defense and points allowed...

With Stump I understand. He's not well and frequently absent. Sucks that it says "fired" and that's bad locker room mojo.

Van Pelt and especially McCartney are a little more perplexing. Njoku finally shows up after all these years and you wanna dump the TE coach? Heck he even got the total bump on a log Harrison Bryant to do something.
Not really sure what an OC roll is that doesn’t call plays other than game planning. Probably look to get younger at that spot. Look to upgrade the offense to fit Watson’s skill set. Obviously the current offense doesn’t. TE coach contract was up. I doubt many people even knew his name

I think all the moves were done, including trading for Watson, to make the team better. That’s happened. What hasn’t happened, due to suspension and injuries, is to get the $230 million performance out of Watson. Hopefully it happens in 2024, for the sake of the fans, team and Watson.
That never happened in Houston, It hasn‘t happened in Cleveland, and probably never will. A lot has to happen right to get to the playoffs, more to get to the AFC or NFC championship, and a ton to win the Super Bowl. Are there enough good pieces in Cleveland to get that done? I have my doubts, but agree, hopefully 2024 is a better year.

Who is Cleveland going to keep for backup qbs?