Cleveland Browns 2024 Edition

cjb5656

Well, the 2023 season ended with a thud. Welcome to 2024. First up, the draft. With the Browns first rounder the division winning Houston Texans select and get better with…

Okay, forget the draft. The whole season depends upon Watson and Stefanski trying to somehow meld together the wrong skillset with the wrong offense. Can they do it? The success of the season depends upon it.

The defense? How can Schwartz get consistent play on the road and at home? Can they get a fully effective season from Myles “First Half DPOY” Garrett?

Hopefully all the injured players will be back to form.

As for the standings? Well, we know the Steelers will have a winning record under Tomlin. Burrow is back. The Ravens are the Ravens. Probably looking at an 8-9 last place season for the Browns. And before anyone chimes in about Chubb leading the Browns to the promised land, consider they haven’t won zip with him and just had their best season of his time in CLE without him. RBs are mostly irrelevant in today’s NFL. It’s all about the QB. The Browns will go as far as the forced marriage of Watson and Stefanski will take them. Not very far, IMO.

This playoff defeat tonight, will set the franchise back even further. This was an awful defeat tonight to a overrated Texan squad. Already tired of hearing about CJ Stroud being great. All media hype He is not

Reactions: y2h
Well, the 2023 season ended with a thud. Welcome to 2024. First up, the draft. With the Browns first rounder the division winning Houston Texans select and get better with…

Okay, forget the draft. The whole season depends upon Watson and Stefanski trying to somehow meld together the wrong skillset with the wrong offense. Can they do it? The success of the season depends upon it.

The defense? How can Schwartz get consistent play on the road and at home? Can they get a fully effective season from Myles “First Half DPOY” Garrett?

Hopefully all the injured players will be back to form.

As for the standings? Well, we know the Steelers will have a winning record under Tomlin. Burrow is back. The Ravens are the Ravens. Probably looking at an 8-9 last place season for the Browns. And before anyone chimes in about Chubb leading the Browns to the promised land, consider they haven’t won zip with him and just had their best season of his time in CLE without him. RBs are mostly irrelevant in today’s NFL. It’s all about the QB. The Browns will go as far as the forced marriage of Watson and Stefanski will take them. Not very far, IMO.
steelers with a winning season, not sure about that....

if Chubb was playing this whole season, their record would have been better, c'mon Ford or Chubb...Chubb everyday of the week... so you think Chubb was the reason they have played like shat the last couple of years....

the browns need to get another top Receiver, Garrett needs to play tough the whole season, the Offense line needs to stay healthy....But if Chubb is healthy, you bring him back.....

Garrett's gotta come back healthy for a full season. Shoulder injuries suck. I can't imagine playing the edge while not being able to lift your arm over your head. It's gotta be miserable basically playing one-armed and trying to dominate.

I think as horrible as yesterday's game was, you need to put this season in perspective.

It is hard to believe that they will suffer the number of injuries to key players in 2024 that they did this season.
So I am pretty optimistic about the upcoming season.

And here's an interesting question: Looking at all of the teams who are in the playoffs right now, how many of them
would have still made the playoffs if they only had their starting QB for six games, lost both of their starting O Tackles for half
the season or so, lost probably the best RB in football in game 2, and lost both starting safeties for a good portion of the season?

And there is more than that that I haven't listed.

I bet at least half the teams still alive wouldn't be there.

if Chubb was playing this whole season, their record would have been better, c'mon Ford or Chubb...Chubb everyday of the week... so you think Chubb was the reason they have played like shat the last couple of years....

the browns need to get another top Receiver, Garrett needs to play tough the whole season, the Offense line needs to stay healthy....But if Chubb is healthy, you bring him back.....

Again, I’m a fan of Chubb the player & person but a 29 year old rb coming off of a serious knee injury and counting $16.2 mil against the cap….Chubb’s future could look a lot like rb Dalvin Cook. The Browns are over the cap by $12.6 mil for 2024, there will be some difficult decisions to be made thanks to Watson accounting for $63.9 mil towards the cap.

You’re not sure about a Steelers winning record in 2024…..too funny. If Tomlin is back it is logical to assume the Steelers will be competitive and at 500 or better; 17 years of data to back up that assumption. It is also logical to assume the Browns will take a step back in 2024; 30+ years of data to back up that assumption. Was 2023 the beginning of a trend upward or an anomaly for the Browns organization? With Watson back at the helm in 2024, I would say 2023 was an anomaly.

Chubb is great, but at a certain dollar amount he isn't worth it.

Again, I’m a fan of Chubb the player & person but a 29 year old rb coming off of a serious knee injury and counting $16.2 mil against the cap….Chubb’s future could look a lot like rb Dalvin Cook. The Browns are over the cap by $12.6 mil for 2024, there will be some difficult decisions to be made thanks to Watson accounting for $63.9 mil towards the cap.

You’re not sure about a Steelers winning record in 2024…..too funny. If Tomlin is back it is logical to assume the Steelers will be competitive and at 500 or better; 17 years of data to back up that assumption. It is also logical to assume the Browns will take a step back in 2024; 30+ years of data to back up that assumption. Was 2023 the beginning of a trend upward or an anomaly for the Browns organization? With Watson back at the helm in 2024, I would say 2023 was an anomaly.
I agree with all but the last sentence. Unfortunately, due to a lengthy unwarranted suspension and too many injuries, we don't really know what the Browns can do with Watson.

who is the Steelers qb?

who is the Steelers qb?

For 2024, unknown at this time. Steeler options are:
* bring in a vet (Cousins, Wilson)
* stay with Pickett (3.8 mil towards the 2024 cap)
* draft a qb who may slip to them in the 1st rd: a Bo Nix or Michael Penix

All except perhaps Cousin’s is low cost and do not hold the franchise hostage past the 2024 season. Browns are financially strapped with Watson through the 2026 season…..and just how much more did the Browns get out of Watson than the Steelers got out of Pickett/Trubisky/Rudiolph?

Need offensive linemen first; the guards are aging and the tackles aren't that good. Next, get a running back; Ford is not the answer. There are several players who were on one yr contracts. See if you want them back soon. Don't think Schwartz will get an HC job after yesterday.

Browns schedule next year is the toughest, so don't expect the same record.

• Home: Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, Chiefs, Chargers, Dolphins, Cowboys, Giants
  • Away: Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, Raiders, Broncos, Jaguars, Eagles, Commanders, Saints

An overview of the Watson Trade:

Browns get:
* QB Deshaun Watson
* 2024 5th rd pick - tbd

Texans get:
* 2022 1st rd pick #13* - Phi DT Jordan Davis
* 2022 4th rd pick #107 - Hou RB Damien Pierce
* 2023 1st rd pick #12** - Det RB Jahmyr Gibbs
* 2023 3rd rd pick #73** - NYG WR Jalen Hyatt
* 2024 1st rd pick - tbd
* 2024 4th rd pick - tbd

* Houston traded this 2022 pick to Eagles for four 2022 picks - 1st, 4th and two 5th rd picks (15th, 124th, 162nd & 166th)
** Houston traded the 2023 1st & 3rd rd picks to move up and draft QB CJ Stroud

Looks like this trade has set the Texans up for a 10 year by giving them the draft capital to move up & take Stroud. Who honestly thought Stroud would be this good? Question remains, will this trade & contract doom the Browns for the next ____ years?

An overview of the Watson Trade:

Browns get:
* QB Deshaun Watson
* 2024 5th rd pick - tbd

Texans get:
* 2022 1st rd pick #13* - Phi DT Jordan Davis
* 2022 4th rd pick #107 - Hou RB Damien Pierce
* 2023 1st rd pick #12** - Det RB Jahmyr Gibbs
* 2023 3rd rd pick #73** - NYG WR Jalen Hyatt
* 2024 1st rd pick - tbd
* 2024 4th rd pick - tbd

* Houston traded this 2022 pick to Eagles for four 2022 picks - 1st, 4th and two 5th rd picks (15th, 124th, 162nd & 166th)
** Houston traded the 2023 1st & 3rd rd picks to move up and draft QB CJ Stroud

Looks like this trade has set the Texans up for a 10 year by giving them the draft capital to move up & take Stroud. Who honestly thought Stroud would be this good? Question remains, will this trade & contract doom the Browns for the next ____ years?
Things happen fast in the NFL. Nobody is doomed forever, or destined to be on top forever. Some franchise are run much better than others, so they are typically always in the mix, but no franchise is truly ever doomed.

The Rams went all in for a Super Bowl, won it, but then went to salary cap jail and were predicted to be down for many years. They are already back. The Saints were in cap jail. They are already out. The Packers looked like they were going to decline without Rodgers and Adams. They are back on track. So it can be done. There are certain franchises, though, like the Browns, Jets, Cardinals and a few others that just can’t seem to get out of their own way.

Watson is going to be under so much pressure next year that he just might crack. At the first sign of defeat, we'll hear," Bring back Flacco." The point has been made - Stefanski is more comfortable with a qb with Flacco's skills than he is with Watson's. We heard all during the off-season that the offense had been adjusted to fit Watson's skill set and that both the coach and player were happy. But, it looked like the same old offense with the 5-1 record due to the defense. If the Browns do not make the playoffs next year, then we can conclude that this might be the worst trade in NFL history.

Things happen fast in the NFL. Nobody is doomed forever, or destined to be on top forever. Some franchise are run much better than others, so they are typically always in the mix, but no franchise is truly ever doomed.

The Rams went all in for a Super Bowl, won it, but then went to salary cap jail and were predicted to be down for many years. They are already back. The Saints were in cap jail. They are already out. The Packers looked like they were going to decline without Rodgers and Adams. They are back on track. So it can be done. There are certain franchises, though, like the Browns, Jets, Cardinals and a few others that just can’t seem to get out of their own way.
The Rams are not back Stafford will be 36 years old next month, Saints are still bad, the Packers are a well-run organization, they knew it was time to move on from McCarthy than Rodgers. The browns and Jets traded for damage goods Watson injury and legal issues, lack of judgement, jets and Rodger's age. Bengals are an inept organization as well just got lucky with Burrow but too dumb to protect their franchise QB.

The Rams are not back Stafford will be 36 years old next month, Saints are still bad, the Packers are a well-run organization, they knew it was time to move on from McCarthy than Rodgers. The browns and Jets traded for damage goods Watson injury and legal issues, lack of judgement, jets and Rodger's age. Bengals are an inept organization as well just got lucky with Burrow but too dumb to protect their franchise QB.

I disagree with the Rams. Yes, Stanford will be 36 next season but the Rams have him signed & on the books for 3 more years with a somewhat manageable cap hit of $50 mil each year. The Ram have $44 mil in cap space heading into the 2024 season and it looks like they drafted 3 all pros in wr Puka, dt Turner and rb Williams in the last two years.

Green Bay is definitely looking like they won the divorce with Rodgers. Love can play. The Jets head coach looks like he answers & reports to Rodgers - unlikely to end well.

The Bengals looked great in that 2 or 3 week span after Burrow recovered from his calf injury and the beat the Seahawks, 49ers & Bills. If Burrow is upright, they have a legitimate shot but you are correct, it is the Bengal front office that is a major concern.

Speculation: who will NOT return for the Browns next year? I don't think they sign Cooper and they might move on from Conklin. Hunt?

Already tired of hearing about CJ Stroud being great. All media hype He is not
You are either one of those crazy haters (because he won no OSU championship!!!) or a football no-nothing.

Stroud came to a pretty sad roster and elevated everyone around him. 15 games, 23 TDs with 5 picks, 4100+ yards as a rookie, with a skill position group around him with zero NFL accomplishments prior to this year. At 22 years old, are you kidding me? Every guy in that locker room says they would go to war for him.

If I was building a team, I would take him over every QB except Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lamar, Hurts. Plug him in for Tua, Purdy or Dak with those skill groups around him, he would be MVP.

Just watch the next few years. He is 22...

You are either one of those crazy haters (because he won no OSU championship!!!) or a football no-nothing.

Stroud came to a pretty sad roster and elevated everyone around him. 15 games, 23 TDs with 5 picks, 4100+ yards as a rookie, with a skill position group around him with zero NFL accomplishments prior to this year. At 22 years old, are you kidding me? Every guy in that locker room says they would go to war for him.

If I was building a team, I would take him over every QB except Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lamar, Hurts. Plug him in for Tua, Purdy or Dak with those skill groups around him, he would be MVP.

It's possible he is both
I may actually take him over everyone excluding Mahomes.
Allen...turns it over way too much
Burrow...gets hurt way too much
Lamar...have to build a particular skill set of players around him like Baltimore has
Hurts...just a decent thrower. Already banged up

I won't anoint him as anything until he gets past his second year in the NFL.

Teams have a way with catching up with guys after they study them some more.