Clark/ Maravich

14Red

Why are the records of mens and womens college basketball together? All we hear now is Caitlyn Clark is going to break Pete Maravich's scoring record in college basketball. Maravich was a man, Clark is a woman. It's like combining baseball and softball records? Someone please explain.

Why are the records of mens and womens college basketball together? All we hear now is Caitlyn Clark is going to break Pete Maravich's scoring record in college basketball. Maravich was a man, Clark is a woman. It's like combining baseball and softball records? Someone please explain.

Not to mention Freshmen were ineligible when Pete was at LSU, so his points came in just three seasons. They also did not have a three point line, and be was a great jump shooter. The SEC was still very segregated during Maravich's playing days so he wasn't playing against the best of the best, but he was legit. The comparisons between Clark and Maravich are pointless......

Not to mention Freshmen were ineligible when Pete was at LSU, so his points came in just three seasons. They also did not have a three point line, and be was a great jump shooter. The SEC was still very segregated during Maravich's playing days so he wasn't playing against the best of the best, but he was legit. The comparisons between Clark and Maravich are pointless......
Even with those aside, it's mens basketball and womens basketball, they don't even use the same size ball, which is a HUGE advantage. I'm not saying it's not an accomplishment, it's just misguided.

Even with those aside, it's mens basketball and womens basketball, they don't even use the same size ball, which is a HUGE advantage. I'm not saying it's not an accomplishment, it's just misguided.
Ridiculous. They need to combine all track times too. Women wouldn’t be in the top 1000 of times in any event. She will be the all time leading scorer in women’s basketball and that’s where it belongs.

Calm down. Literally no one is saying Clark is better then Pete. No one is saying she could play on a men's team. It is just marketing promos to get people to tune in because "she will have more points in college than any woman or man". It means nothing.

It's a sucker pitch in the dirt and you guys swung at it.

how dare you assume gender

Calm down. Literally no one is saying Clark is better then Pete. No one is saying she could play on a men's team. It is just marketing promos to get people to tune in because "she will have more points in college than any woman or man". It means nothing.

It's a sucker pitch in the dirt and you guys swung at it.
It's women's (most of them are, anyway) basketball, very boring to watch.

It's women's (most of them are, anyway) basketball, very boring to watch.
I actually watch a decent amount of OSU women's basketball. And I've watched Iowa this year for obvious reasons. For me personally it will never top the men's game. But I can appreciate the better teams and players.

Here's the story....here is how it should be reported and is. Congrats to Clark, Most points in women's hoops! PERIOD.

1709236025994.png

What Maravich accomplished is beyond belief, avg. 44 pts in his 3-year career at LSU. Dale Brown who was a coach on the team charted everyone of Pistol Pete's shots and said 517 of Maravich's made shots were from behind todays 3 pt. line. His men's scoring record will never be broken.

What Maravich accomplished is beyond belief, avg. 44 pts in his 3-year career at LSU. Dale Brown who was a coach on the team charted everyone of Pistol Pete's shots and said 517 of Maravich's made shots were from behind todays 3 pt. line. His men's scoring record will never be broken.
And Pete managed all his wizardry having to actually dribble…old school, with his fingertips. You couldn’t palm the ball like what dribbling is today. Before they started allowing palming with Jordan, you had to actually dribble. And no carrying, Euro-step, crab walk, continuation rule, shuffling/changing pivot foot or anything else that makes handling the ball much easier today. What Pete was able to do under the rules of his day was incredible.

And Pete managed all his wizardry having to actually dribble…old school, with his fingertips. You couldn’t palm the ball like what dribbling is today. Before they started allowing palming with Jordan, you had to actually dribble. And no carrying, Euro-step, crab walk, continuation rule, shuffling/changing pivot foot or anything else that makes handling the ball much easier today. What Pete was able to do under the rules of his day was incredible.
And no hip hoppin', rappin', hippy dippy acid doper rockers, either.

The amount of misogyny on Yappi continues to amaze and disgust me.
It’s not misogyny to find women’s basketball boring, for the most part. If the NBA didn’t subsidize the massive money loser that is the WNBA, ticket prices at NBA games might actually be lower.

And people are just pointing out that comparing Pistol Pete to Clark is apples and oranges and they list all the reasons why. Sorry the truth offends you.

I’m watching this game and I’ll give Clark her due as a prolific scorer, but the quality of play is on par with a junior high or CYO boy’s game. Seriously.

I’m watching this game and I’ll give Clark her due as a prolific scorer, but the quality of play is on par with a junior high or CYO boy’s game. Seriously.
Clark probably wouldn’t make a hoop in a men’s college basketball game.

After the hubbub over the fan contact/flop from when she collided with the court storming fan in Columbus, it seems comically fitting that she hit this mark when gifted a pair of tech free throws after flopping in a laughable sequence that gifted Iowa 6 points in the last few tenths of a second of the first half.

Regarding the Maravich-Clark controversy, I was around when Pistol Pete played and saw many of his games. Quite frankly, Pete was a gunner. He averaged 38 shots a game to Clark's 19. Plus he played in a 80 minute game, while Clark was limited to 64 minutes. As I said before, Pete was an absolute gunner. It was said that Pete never met a shot he wouldn't take.

Regarding the Maravich-Clark controversy, I was around when Pistol Pete played and saw many of his games. Quite frankly, Pete was a gunner. He averaged 38 shots a game to Clark's 19. Plus he played in a 80 minute game, while Clark was limited to 64 minutes. As I said before, Pete was an absolute gunner. It was said that Pete never met a shot he wouldn't take.
Did your wife serve you some cocaine with your meal tonight? How else to explain your math on the length of basketball games?

Here is something you've not heard the the past few days. Maravich scored his college points in 83 games. Clark played in her 129th yesterday. But that's doesn't help the story. Great accomplishment, she's a great female player.

It is truly incredible how these networks and analysists fawn over Clark? It's like women's college basketball was invented a few years ago? I never like to go this way, but is Clark more popular because she's white? About 10 years ago, Ohio State had the best female player I thought I'd seen in Kelsey Mitchell. She's in the WNBA and having a great career. Is this more of a big ten thing or because Clark is in the midwest? My best guess is ESPN/ ABC, Fox all have either willingingly or blackmailed by cancel culture to pay and air all these women's college games. So how do you recoup your money, you have to flood the market with news of women's hoops. To me it's kind of become a fad that will likely slip away.

It is truly incredible how these networks and analysists fawn over Clark? It's like women's college basketball was invented a few years ago? I never like to go this way, but is Clark more popular because she's white? About 10 years ago, Ohio State had the best female player I thought I'd seen in Kelsey Mitchell. She's in the WNBA and having a great career. Is this more of a big ten thing or because Clark is in the midwest? My best guess is ESPN/ ABC, Fox all have either willingingly or blackmailed by cancel culture to pay and air all these women's college games. So how do you recoup your money, you have to flood the market with news of women's hoops. To me it's kind of become a fad that will likely slip away.
It blows my mind that you are so upset by this and waste so much time on it.

She's a great college player who scored more points than anyone. Plus, she shoots 3's from really far out, people like that. And she throws a lot of great passes for assists. She seems like a nice girl and people like her. What is the big problem?

Stop looking for conspiracies everywhere.