Changing our democracy

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Interesting thinking these last few years about how some people want to change our Democracy. Some of the suggestions or plans:

1. Faithless Electors
2. Impeachment
3. Getting rid of 2 Senators per state rule
4. Ending gerrymandering
5. Violent protests
6. Alternate electoral college voters
7. Packing the courts
8. Assassination attempts

We are running towards the edge of the cliff and preparing to jump...

Interesting thinking these last few years about how some people want to change our Democracy. Some of the suggestions or plans:

1. Faithless Electors
2. Impeachment
4. Ending gerrymandering
5. Violent protests
7. Packing the courts

Blame MAGA!

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
Blame MAGA!
Spock Encerio GIF

1. Faithless Electors
2. Impeachment
4. Ending gerrymandering
5. Violent protests
7. Packing the courts

None of that will happen. They have shown their true colors and no one is buying.

1. Faithless Electors
2. Impeachment
4. Ending gerrymandering
5. Violent protests
7. Packing the courts

Ending gerrymandering would be a great thing imo. Politicians shouldn’t be picking their voters.

Ending gerrymandering would be a great thing imo. Politicians shouldn’t be picking their voters.
I don't disagree. What I have a problem with is only the losers want to change the rule. Why don't the parties work as hard to end gerrymandering in the states they are winning? National parties going to two different states arguing both sides depending on if the rule favors them.

1. Faithless Electors
2. Impeachment
4. Ending gerrymandering
5. Violent protests
7. Packing the courts

We've survived actual assassinations not just attempts, and court packing, and impeachments, and violent protests. Adding or reducing senators is not even on radar from outer space. Not sure if you are pro-gerrymandering or against (?) but it is not good for democracy imo.

The only real, legit threat IMO is what transpired on Jan. 6 is what we now know about it from these hearings. Which republicans either refuse to believe, or, actually support.

9. Political coup / overturning lawful elections

I don't disagree. What I have a problem with is only the losers want to change the rule. Why don't the parties work as hard to end gerrymandering in the states they are winning? National parties going to two different states arguing both sides depending on if the rule favors them.

Why would the winning party want to risk losing power by leveling the playing field?

We've survived actual assassinations not just attempts, and court packing, and impeachments, and violent protests. Adding or reducing senators is not even on radar from outer space. Not sure if you are pro-gerrymandering or against (?) but it is not good for democracy imo.

The only real, legit threat IMO is what transpired on Jan. 6 is what we now know about it from these hearings. Which republicans either refuse to believe, or, actually support.

Your #9 is already covered in 1-8. Numbers 5 and 6 specifically.

Republicans have a strong advantage in state legislatures, and are pro-gerrymander. Dems would end it tomorrow if possible, or support SCOTUS to, as they've requested. Pubs will not. And OF COURSE dems will not and should not unilaterally end them where it is advantageous, if their opponent will not. That would be stupid.

LMFAO. Really?
I do agree.
What transpired after Jan 6th is the incarceration of American citizens without due process. This is in fact a violation of one of the rights enumerated in the Constitution.

But lets talk about instead of the phantom right that is abortion.

Not sure I understand the question. Are you saying that you support a Democrat that complains about gerrymandering in Ohio and supports gerrymandering in New York?

I think we should always try to do the right thing.

Politics are about power in many ways. Why would a party willingly give up power especially when it benefits them? You appear to think that there should be some virtue in this.

The problem and cause of all of those things is a toxic two party system that is playing out like a major rivalry ala Ohio State/Michigan. Many see little room for compromise, and are only focused on total victory. You either win or you lose, and this absolutist mindset is why there will never be serious party alternatives to the two major parties.

Power is valued above all.

Politics are about power in many ways. Why would a party willingly give up power especially when it benefits them? You appear to think that there should be some virtue in this.
Not saying they should or will. What I am saying is that the process should be better. As long as both sides are doing it, neither side is going to concede.

LMFAO. Really?
I do agree.
What transpired after Jan 6th is the incarceration of American citizens without due process. This is in fact a violation of one of the rights enumerated in the Constitution.

But lets talk about instead of the phantom right that is abortion.

Overturning lawful elections, illegally, on a lie, led by the POTUS, is THE biggest threat to our democracy. Or democratic republic for you sticklers. By far. Period. You guys can whataboutit that all you want.

Not saying they should or will. What I am saying is that the process should be better. As long as both sides are doing it, neither side is going to concede.

Not true. It would pass tomorrow if republicans wanted to. Democrats overwhelmingly do. And have pleaded with SCOTUS. If the court ever becomes liberal, that would be one of the 1st things addressed and there would be a uniform standard.

Last edited:
Unfortunately reading through this post, it's such a pipe dream. We have embedded, long term politicians who their one and only career has been politics, so they are never changing. I would say 60-70% of us out here really could give a flip about politics or politicians. We are simply doing our thing, and we just government to stay out of our lives. We pay taxes, we live our lives, etc. All of these hot button topics does not affect the majority of Americans. Yes, it's tragic when there is a school shooting, and it could happen anywhere, but if you take the number of schools in 50 American states, multiply by the number of school days. The days where there is a violent incident is likely .0001% or less. Our school kids are EXTREMELY safe. Yet because our politicians only want to kiss voters butts, we spend WEEKS on gun safety when there is so much more they can do. The abortion issue is going to be the same thing.

We NEED people in charge with good, level headed decisions and make common sense judgements that is good for the GENERAL population. Yes, that's going to make some fall through the cracks. Our country was founded upon people taking care of themselves, not the government taking care of them. If everything worked right, there would be little need for government.

Unfortunately reading through this post, it's such a pipe dream. We have embedded, long term politicians who their one and only career has been politics, so they are never changing. I would say 60-70% of us out here really could give a flip about politics or politicians. We are simply doing our thing, and we just government to stay out of our lives. We pay taxes, we live our lives, etc. All of these hot button topics does not affect the majority of Americans. Yes, it's tragic when there is a school shooting, and it could happen anywhere, but if you take the number of schools in 50 American states, multiply by the number of school days. The days where there is a violent incident is likely .0001% or less. Our school kids are EXTREMELY safe. Yet because our politicians only want to kiss voters butts, we spend WEEKS on gun safety when there is so much more they can do. The abortion issue is going to be the same thing.

We NEED people in charge with good, level headed decisions and make common sense judgements that is good for the GENERAL population. Yes, that's going to make some fall through the cracks. Our country was founded upon people taking care of themselves, not the government taking care of them. If everything worked right, there would be little need for government.

Agreed

Trying to minimize school shootings isn’t a good thing imo. They may be statistically rare but the loss of children far outweighs that.

Agreed

Trying to minimize school shootings isn’t a good thing imo. They may be statistically rare but the loss of children far outweighs that.
I think so many forget that we have over 330 million people in this country. Over 7,500 people Americans die daily, many of them children.

A few things I’d like to change/add/remove

- All presidents and Vice Presidents age 70 and above must under go a yearly neurological exam conducted by a third party neurologist.

- All EPA mandates must come with the stipulation that the EPA must show how to pay for them.

- Expansion of death penalty to include repeat child molesters. Also open to including Habitual rapists.

- Term limits of two four year terms in the house and two six year terms in the senate. Eighteen year terms for federal judges.

- Abolish the department of education and return control to the states. With some stipulations attached for federal dollars.

Term limits of two four year terms in the house and two six year terms in the senate. Eighteen year terms for federal judges.

Awesome news, we have term limits. It's called the voting booth. If an incumbent has an unfair advantage, then let's address that rather than limiting the service of popular and effective public servants.

Unelected judges is a different story.

Never heard expanding the Senate seats. The Senate format adds balance to the House system. It allows states like Vermont to have an equal voice. A Democratic Republic is never easy and takes work. The system, by and large, has worked.

The bigger question is how do we stop misinformation without canceling people? Misinformation, or ones subscribed information of choice, is what is killing us. Algorithms only further divide as click bait keeps the info we like coming.

Our enemies (China & Russia) do not play by the same rules and exploit our open system of information while controlling theirs.

I wish I had a good answer.

Yes but you forgot one thing....PEOPLE SUCK!! Government only exists because people suck and will abuse the system if given the chance. Go ahead, let the people govern themselves. It will be a s**t show within 24 hours.

Republicans have a strong advantage in state legislatures, and are pro-gerrymander. Dems would end it tomorrow if possible, or support SCOTUS to, as they've requested. Pubs will not. And OF COURSE dems will not and should not unilaterally end them where it is advantageous, if their opponent will not. That would be stupid.
No they wouldn't. See NY.

Overturning lawful elections, illegally, on a lie, led by the POTUS, is THE biggest threat to our democracy. Or democratic republic for you sticklers. By far. Period. You guys can whataboutit that all you want.
So how about the numerous times Dems have attempted to overturn elections? That's justified right?

Yes but you forgot one thing....PEOPLE SUCK!! Government only exists because people suck and will abuse the system if given the chance. Go ahead, let the people govern themselves. It will be a s**t show within 24 hours.
Actually it's set up pretty good now because no one has too much power. The President can't do much without congress, and congress can do major things without the president on board. It's not perfect, but it's why most of us level headed common folk just can live our lives.