Carl Pelini out at Mooney, um never mind

Had heard this was coming during last season. He’s been as popular as a pimple on a priests butt. Why they ever hired him in the first place is the mystery. The next hire will be interesting. 😜

Its not rocket science everyone knows who’s gonna be coaching them

Shepas is not the surprise. The surprise is does he give up his day job ? The parochial system isn’t well known for its retirement program. Shepas has bounced around and he isn’t getting any younger. Plus Mooney recruiting hasn’t been good. Not sure it gets much better with Shepas. The “brain trust” at Mooney may be in early dementia. 😎

Shepas is not the surprise. The surprise is does he give up his day job ? The parochial system isn’t well known for its retirement program. Shepas has bounced around and he isn’t getting any younger. Plus Mooney recruiting hasn’t been good. Not sure it gets much better with Shepas. The “brain trust” at Mooney may be in early dementia. 😎
I'd have to imagine Mooney would take care of him.

Mooney will be just fine, the 8th grade catholic school saints team was really good and almost all of the top kids are going to Mooney. The also had some really good young kids last yr who played a lot for them. I'd expect Mooney will be good this year and really good in a year or 2.
As far as Shepas age, Mooney could go after someone like Marlowe and have/keep Shepas along to help and mentor him.

A post above said people knew about this (players etc.)? If so, why wasn't this move announced previously? The whole thing just seems odd to me?:unsure:

It’s funny how little you know about this, yet you have such a strong opinion. The Mooney recruiting wasn’t good in the latter part of Fecko’s tenure. See Carl’s first two years at CMHS. Considering 6 freshmen started in the playoffs for the Cardinals, multiple already getting looks from D1 colleges, I’d say the recruiting is on an upswing. Not to mention most of the Youngstown Saints are going to Mooney next year.

Inheard Shepas may be the next man up. However, they have Brian Marrow on staff as well so I could see this going either way. Both are good coaches and it would a good hire either way

Inheard Shepas may be the next man up. However, they have Brian Marrow on staff as well so I could see this going either way. Both are good coaches and it would a good hire either way
Both are great candidates, but I could see Shepas over Marrow. Hopefully for Mooney’s sake, Marrow stays.

I have no opinion on the Pelini issue, though I think Carl gets a bum rap on here but if anything it just speaks to the general turmoil it seems Mooney is going through. It just seems like there are a few influential people/families left but if you have no partisan interest or family history the obvious choice in town is Ursuline and that Mooney’s fate is inevitable. This is just another bit of anecdotal evidence that the school is in its death throes.

the only thing I’m not sure of is whether or not the former bishop (may his soul RIP) accelerated the inevitable, or outright blocked the school’s chances for something sustainable

I have no opinion on the Pelini issue, though I think Carl gets a bum rap on here but if anything it just speaks to the general turmoil it seems Mooney is going through. It just seems like there are a few influential people/families left but if you have no partisan interest or family history the obvious choice in town is Ursuline and that Mooney’s fate is inevitable. This is just another bit of anecdotal evidence that the school is in its death throes.

the only thing I’m not sure of is whether or not the former bishop (may his soul RIP) accelerated the inevitable, or outright blocked the school’s chances for something sustainable
The higher ups wanted this to be accelerated yet again, but the Mooney Family prevented that from happening. There’s a reason two huge meetings in 4 days of pissed off parents, players, and students were at the Presidents office demanding Carl gets rehired but not when Fecko got fired. Because the people actually apart of it, or know people apart of it, know what direction the program is going. Carl won 3 games in two years with an incredibly terrible roster, then went to the third round of the playoffs with his own developed players, and kids that came in under him. Not to mention he built one of the most experienced coaching staffs in NEO with 5 head coaches. You outsiders have no idea what you’re talking about, and it’s actually comical reading through some of these comments.

The higher ups wanted this to be accelerated yet again, but the Mooney Family prevented that from happening. There’s a reason two huge meetings in 4 days of pissed off parents, players, and students were at the Presidents office demanding Carl gets rehired but not when Fecko got fired. Because the people actually apart of it, or know people apart of it, know what direction the program is going. Carl won 3 games in two years with an incredibly terrible roster, then went to the third round of the playoffs with his own developed players, and kids that came in under him. Not to mention he built one of the most experienced coaching staffs in NEO with 5 head coaches. You outsiders have no idea what you’re talking about, and it’s actually comical reading through some of these comments.
Or you have a new President/Principal that comes from the outside with no allegiance to the good ole boys club and wanted to get fresh blood into a place that has been a sinking ship for several years now.

Unfortunately, he is finding out just how hard it is to do things the way he would like there.