Brookfield Forced to Update Stadium

After Cloverleaf defeated Highland in the final game of the 2008 season ruining Highland's perfect season, a Highland fan filed a civil rights ADA claim against Cloverleaf.

Has caused and continues to cause all sorts of problems for the 'Leaf.

The irony? Highland's stadium has to be one of the least ADA compliant stadiums in the state although they are now building a new one.

However it does give the 'Leaf a great reason to explain stadium upgrades to the voters.

They don't call it "The pit" for nothing. Expect the stadium to be closed this season, as they try to raise the funds for a new stadium. Too bad. Cool place to watch a game.

That's why I'm glad Boardman was able to get their new stadium... The stadium at the middle school was an accident waiting to happen! Hopefully somebody can step up and help out Brookfield!

I heard the 2 places they could play their games is girard and Sharon. The cost is 2500 per game to use the facilities

Some schools got around it for a few years by designating an area on the track.
Great seats? Maybe.
Dangerous? Maybe.
Cheap alternative? Yes.

Anyone else think that it's unreasonable to force a district to spend $500,000 to accommodate one person?

A decade or so ago, a deaf man sued the NFL because his hometown team was blacked out because they did not sell out 72 hours to kickoff. He claimed that since he could not listen to the radio, he was denied the opportunity to see his team. Of course the NFL with its deep pockets won the lawsuit.
IMO, there comes a time when the rights of many do out weigh the right of the few. These events are extra circular activities of life. The people that fall under the ADA are not being denied basic qualities of life here and therefore have to realize that the world should not come to a stop because of their disability.

IMO I think common sense should be used. The stadium being 65 years old should be grandfathered in. When a renovation (it is 65yo, a renovation had to be in the plans at some point in the next 10 years) is done then it should be brought up to ADA codes. To just force this on a fiscally strapped district (aren't they all anymore) is unreasonable.

IMO I think common sense should be used. The stadium being 65 years old should be grandfathered in. When a renovation (it is 65yo, a renovation had to be in the plans at some point in the next 10 years) is done then it should be brought up to ADA codes. To just force this on a fiscally strapped district (aren't they all anymore) is unreasonable.

This. Plus, if the government is forcing Brookfield to meet government regulations, shouldn't the gov't offer assistance with grant money and/or zero-low interest loans to help the school district?

Small school like that shouldn't have 3 gyms in it either, I'm sure some of that money could have went to the football field..... They have what 300 kids in the school?

Maybe it is just one person who is making a deal in this case but my guess is there are probably a lot more not making a stink because they just don't want to deal with the situation because of the negative implications. Also what if that one person is a war vet that lost their ability to walk due to service to their country, do we tell that person scew you we don't have the $s? It is a law so the district is responsible to be in compliance.

Maybe it is just one person who is making a deal in this case but my guess is there are probably a lot more not making a stink because they just don't want to deal with the situation because of the negative implications. Also what if that one person is a war vet that lost their ability to walk due to service to their country, do we tell that person scew you we don't have the $s? It is a law so the district is responsible to be in compliance.

I feel bad for the disabled, but to act like economics should play no role is just ludicrous. I never been to said stadium don't know set up. There are ways to work around this like a special drop off zone, handicap assessable port a John, and maybe a flat section to put some seats for those in need. But a $500,000 renovation for a district that the papers are reporting is fiscally strapped in not a smart play. Once you have the funds then make the renovation. That is being smart.

I would think at least half of the Mahoning Valley has some type of non-compliance issue with their stadiums. If the stadiums were given a check as Brookfield has just received. Safety issues must be met . But a lot of this has to do with finding something wrong and going overboard in the correction process. Consider the whole state , over 700 football schools maybe half with something wrong. We cannot fix our roads after the winter.......now we find fault with our stadiums. EVERYONE uses the roads but not everyone goes to at least 1 football game per season.

Okay, I've felt the need to weigh in on here. So, first a few points. OF, slavery was not a 'law', it was explicitly included in the constitution. A law can be overturned by the Supreme Court, the constitution cannot. It took an amendment ratified by a supermajority of the states at the time (the south hadn't been readmitted yet) for it to take affect.

ADA is a law. It's actually a very good law for a lot of different reasons. My father is handicapped, and so I've gotten the displeasure of dealing with places that aren't ADA compliant. And, per Auggie's commen, my father served during Vietnam, though he was luckily sent to an army base that wasn't in active combat. His disability wasn't service related, though the VA does treat him just the same for it.

My understanding of ADA was basically this: if a building or structure predates ADA, it was grandfathered in and only required becoming compliant once substantial upgrades/modifications/additions/etc took place. A prime example would be Harding Stadium in Steubenville. Three of the four stands are not ADA compliant. The west endzone was replaced, and when it was rebuilt, it was built to ADA specifications (wider aisles, railings in the aisles, wheel chair ramps, and wheel chair seating). The rest of the stadium still isn't ADA compliant because those parts haven't been rebuilt. The stadium did accommodate fans with disabilities by erecting a wheelchair/handicapped seating area on the hill by the upper concession stand that overlooks the field (one of the better ADA seating areas in HS, because you're not in the first row by the field which I hate).

But, that's the rub. There has to be, even in an older structure, some sort of half-measure to assist those with disabilities. Out west, a common occurrence in small venues is to have handicapped placarded vehicles line the field just beyond the endlines. Conotton Valley does this with the eastern endzone. The risk of a field goal hitting your car is a small price. The sightlines would be terrible, but they did make an attempt to include handicapped.

Taking my father to games, ADA seating is a pain. It's a reason he rarely goes to a H.S. game. I took him to one a few years ago, and we were in the front row basically blocking the aisle where his wheelchair was. Also, that put the railing right in his line of sight. So, his enjoyment of the game wasn't nearly what someone who could sit a little higher up in the stands (I much prefer stadiums with entry from the top down, as ADA seating would have a much better view).

Taking him to Browns games, I gave up switching my seats to ADA when I took him and instead just have permanent ADA seats. At FirstEnergy Stadium, the ADA seats aren't permament structures, they're aluminum risers that actually cover about 3 rows worth of seats and, for ADA, hold about 14 seats, which if you figure it taking up almost 20 seats per row for 3 rows, that's a loss of 46 seats. Considering my tickets were $55/each (now $70... thanks Browns!) that meant the team was giving up $2,530 of revenue per game for those 14 ADA ticketed seats to be sold in my section.

As to Mikefln, yes, money shouldn't factor in whether some people should be discriminated against. That's the entire reason ADA was created.... because nobody wanted to pay the cost to let handicapped people into their buildings, stadiums, parks, etc. They weren't valuable enough to them. The biggest time this issue comes up is times like these with ancient buildings in need of upgrades, etc, and nobody thinking over the past 20 years that at some point they'd have to pay to be ADA compliant. That's poor planning.

Also, per Brookfield's situation, it seems like there wasn't any sort of attempt made to make it easy for handicapped fans to watch the game. As highlighted above, parking cars beyond the endzone to view from their car has been a simply and effective solution for small stadiums. Even if the spots can fill in and leave some out, they can argue they'd done something.

Now, beyond the ADA issues, is where they'll play if they can't play at Brookfield. I haven't seen a game there (given where I live, I've stopped to see the stadium once when taking 62 into Sharon). it's a nice, old stadium, but it certainly has seen better days. I understand why Sharon would be a good fit for them (Sharon Tiger Stadium's home side is very big for a 2A PIAA school). But, it is a grass field and has very little parking. Almost entirely street parking, which is one of the reasons Sharon doesn't see big crowds anymore. Another option would be Farrell. Again, not that far away, a smaller venue more for Brookfield's size, and may be a cheaper option.

On the Ohio side, the school north of them (Badger) doesn't have a football team. Cortland is a bit of a drive. I doubt Hubbard would be a good choice. Vienna is a decrepit wooden stadium when I was there, which probably should be replaced BEFORE Brookfield's stadium, though they have more than enough sideline access for ADA. Liberty is starting to get out there in terms of distance. A turf venue might be better, but Warren's Mollenkopf Stadium already has JFK playing on Saturdays, and the only other ones in PA would be Hickory in Hermitage (east of Sharon/Sharpsville/Farrell).

One option to make it cheaper would be to play on Saturday afternoons, and save the cost of the lights for whatever stadium they would rent.

As for the comment about playing out-of-state, Bellaire St. John Central already played one season in Wheeling, West Virginia's Wheeling Island Stadium. I forget whether it was because Nelson Field was being remodeled, or they left Nelson, but hadn't built their new field across the highway.

And sorry for those who just read through all of that. Had a lot of thoughts on the issue.

exactly

Heard through the grapevine, one or two valley companies might be contacting Brookfield tomorrow to discuss the situation and what needs to be done. The two unnamed companies are well known for their sports philanthropy.