Bowl Season

As far as selecting playoff participants, IMO the committee has some poll-like bias to it in the sense that if you lose a game (regardless of opponent or score), you have to go down the rankings a few spots because that's the way it's always been with the polls. At four teams you lose legitimate contenders when they lose a season ending rivalry game or lose in their conference championship game to another playoff team. It feels like this process could be a lot better.

You said it perfectly. It seems like since polls have always been an integral part of college football, the polls or at least the idea of how polls work still holds too much sway in determining the playoff participants. Maybe the committee members are wary of straying from that sort of system since it's been around so long, or maybe over time the poll-like system will dissipate from the decision-making process. But you're right in that that's what seems to be the biggest fault of the committee so far.

This is unrealistic but I would love to see the amount of bowl games shrunk, space in between end of season and bowl games reduced, play all of the bowl games with old tie ins, and then do a 4 team playoff.

Getting more and more respect for Dabo Swinny. They have a lot of creativity on both sides of the ball. Unfortunately, ND was not as creative.

Getting more and more respect for Dabo Swinny. They have a lot of creativity on both sides of the ball. Unfortunately, ND was not as creative.

They weren’t necessarily more creative, just much more talented and better coached. No need to be creative when you’re much better than the other team.

Bama is the clear best program in college football today.

Clemson is second, and another natty win vs Bama would make them a very close second.

The rest are just who is hot in a given season and find their way to the playoff to be beaten by Bama or Clemson.

The Big 10 doesn't struggle any more than every other conference during bowl season. Yet everyone loves getting over dramatic when a Big 10 team loses. The SEC has had plenty of .500 or less win percentage bowl seasons over the last 10 years.
How many?

SEC Bowl record since 2008:

2008: 6-2
2009: 6-4
2010: 5-5
2011: 6-3
2012: 6-3
2013: 7-3
2014: 7-5
2015: 9-2
2016: 6-7
2017: 5-6(one loss came from Alabama beating Georgia in the CFP NC)

So the answer is 3. Convenient of Ghost to want to include .500 bowl records. Regardless, they've been pretty dominant.

Since we’re on records, Only the SEC and ACC have won cfp games in the last 4 years. CFP records:

SEC: 7-3 (6-2 against non-sec teams)
ACC: 4-3
Big 10: 2-2
Pac 12: 1-2
Big 12: 0-3

Bama is the clear best program in college football today.

Clemson is second, and another natty win vs Bama would make them a very close second.

The rest are just who is hot in a given season and find their way to the playoff to be beaten by Bama or Clemson.

I agree that Clemson is second right now but I don’t think there’s this huge gap between them and Ohio State. 2 and 3 is much closer than 1 and 2.

In the deserving vs. best argument, I'm having a hard time this evening convincing myself that Georgia isn't significantly better than both Notre Dame and Oklahoma. If the goal is to crown the "best" team as the champion, Georgia would have been far more likely to win the playoff than either of these two teams.

As far as selecting playoff participants, IMO the committee has some poll-like bias to it in the sense that if you lose a game (regardless of opponent or score), you have to go down the rankings a few spots because that's the way it's always been with the polls. At four teams you lose legitimate contenders when they lose a season ending rivalry game or lose in their conference championship game to another playoff team. It feels like this process could be a lot better.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

They had their shot at beating Bama though. Where’s the harm in letting another team try? We wouldn’t have had the opportunity to see Oklahoma acquit themselves very well after a terrible start. They were awesome in the second half last night

Still lost by 11 with a team taking knees at 6 yd line. Still kind of embarrassing IMO

I think Clemson has a legit shot.

They had their shot at beating Bama though. Where’s the harm in letting another team try? We wouldn’t have had the opportunity to see Oklahoma acquit themselves very well after a terrible start. They were awesome in the second half last night

My eyes tell me that despite being undefeated, Notre Dame didn't belong. UGA should have been playing Clemson with Oklahoma playing Alabama. This is the issue. There's far too much emphasis on not losing, especially really late in the season, regardless of if it's against one of the obvious two best teams.

We've had a lot of crappy playoff games the last few years, in part because of this. This thing needs expanded to eight with all major conference champs being automatically in with three at-larges that could include having automatic qualifying criteria for Notre Dame and/or a highly ranked non-major conference team. It feels like with the current setup and the leniency that appears to be given towards being "more deserving" that somebody who could actually win the playoff and be the "best" team inevitably gets left out too often.

Actual fannies in seats has nothing to do with bowl games. It's all driven by TV dollars and recruiting. Actually probably more recruiting. Somehow, some way advertisers pay big money to put the uninteresting games on TV where not many people will watch. But here's the key...unless you are the top 5% of the college football world (Ohio State, Alabama, Texas, Clemson, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc.) then if you can tell a recruit we MADE a bowl game x number of years, it works! Also, if you do make a bowl game, it's an extra month of practice. The schools that didn't make it to bowl games this year, turned their equipment in at around Thanksgiving. That's huge for alot of programs.

You are wrong when it comes to the larger, older Bowls. You could not be more wrong, actually.

The FBS leadership for the Conferences have long-standing relationships with the cities hosting the Bowls, and things like the pull to adhere to the traditional Bowl dates has been a major stumbling block in establishing a major college playoff in the first place. :shrug:

Do you know what the "B" in "FBS" stands for ?

Clemson is behind Alabama, but way ahead of everyone else at the moment. Over the last four seasons they only have two losses to teams not named Alabama, by a total of four points. If they win against Alabama they'll be 2-2 against them over the last four years with two national championships. A win pulls them to a very close 2nd in current program stature.

Ohio State has been nowhere close to them since getting bludgeoned 31-0 in the playoffs a couple years ago. Clemson makes the playoffs every year and is a threat to win it all, and they don't get embarrassed yearly by a chump team such as Iowa or Purdue. There's a pretty sizable gap between the two in national stature at the moment IMO, even moreso with Meyer stepping down.

Clemson is behind Alabama, but way ahead of everyone else at the moment. Over the last four seasons they only have two losses to teams not named Alabama, by a total of four points. If they win against Alabama they'll be 2-2 against them over the last four years with two national championships. A win pulls them to a very close 2nd in current program stature.

Ohio State has been nowhere close to them since getting bludgeoned 31-0 in the playoffs a couple years ago. Clemson makes the playoffs every year and is a threat to win it all, and they don't get embarrassed yearly by a chump team such as Iowa or Purdue. There's a pretty sizable gap between the two in national stature at the moment IMO, even moreso with Meyer stepping down.

^^^^^^^^
This.

Ohio State is in a tier with Oklahoma, ND, Georgia and a few others. Basically the “playoff possibles.” At this point, Bama and Clemson are sure things. The rest are fighting for the scraps.

Clemson is in that same tier with Ohio State and Georgia. Alabama is all alone at the top.

If they beat Bama in the natty I will amend my answer and agree with you. Until then they still have only one title and one win over Bama, same as Ohio State

Clemson is in that same tier with Ohio State and Georgia. Alabama is all alone at the top.

If they beat Bama in the natty I will amend my answer and agree with you. Until then they still have only one title and one win over Bama, same as Ohio State

The rest of their resume in recent years has been far better than Ohio State, Oklahoma, Georgia, Notre Dame, etc. Even if they lose, it's their third title game and fourth straight playoff appearance in a four year stretch. They don't get pantsed by anyone, especially mediocre teams, in the regular season. Ohio State and the others in that next tier don't come anywhere close to that. They may be below Bama with another loss, but I don't see how anyone can seriously argue that they aren't clearly ahead of everyone else.

Interesting debate on where Clemson stand - I'd say they're right smack in the middle. Not quite Alabama level, but still above the rest though closer than some want to admit. If you want to say Clemson is in the tier with Oklahoma/Ohio State etc - they're leading that tier by a couple scores.

Clemson has been to every Playoff - winning one, losing to Bama twice (once as Runner-up, once as Semifinalist). In their playoff runs Clemson has beaten - Oklahoma, Ohio State and Notre Dame. Their regular season losses though not bad in score have been to average bowl teams - Pitt and Syracuse.

Ohio State has the one title where they beat Bama and Oregon, but they have that no-show in the Semifinal against Clemson as well. They also have terrible score losses to Iowa and Purdue - both bowl teams as well.

Oklahoma has 3 Playoff trips and is 0-3. They're the class of the Big XII, but the Big XII has shown to be the worst conference result-wise in the Playoff Era.

If I'm ranking programs on tiers I'd have:
#1 Alabama
#2 Clemson
#3 Ohio St, Oklahoma, Georgia
#4 Notre Dame, Washington, etc.

To me Clemson is smack in the middle of Bama and the next 3. Oklahoma is closer to ND and Washington than they are Clemson though.

You are wrong when it comes to the larger, older Bowls. You could not be more wrong, actually.

The FBS leadership for the Conferences have long-standing relationships with the cities hosting the Bowls, and things like the pull to adhere to the traditional Bowl dates has been a major stumbling block in establishing a major college playoff in the first place. :shrug:

Do you know what the "B" in "FBS" stands for ?

Agree. Keep in mind the B10 gets many unfavorable match-ups come bowl season because they travel well.

SEC Bowl record since 2008:

2008: 6-2
2009: 6-4
2010: 5-5
2011: 6-3
2012: 6-3
2013: 7-3
2014: 7-5
2015: 9-2
2016: 6-7
2017: 5-6(one loss came from Alabama beating Georgia in the CFP NC)

So the answer is 3. Convenient of Ghost to want to include .500 bowl records. Regardless, they've been pretty dominant.

So a 7-5 or 6-4 bowl record is "pretty dominant" but I'm the one hedging by saying .500 or less?