Bob Goldring, OHSAA, Speaks to Media first time on Fall sports

Do you even hear yourself talk? "Yeah, OHSAA might need to change the rules for postseason qualification in week 7 - the fact it could possibly advantage certain teams over others or be seen as unprofessional/disorganized/unfair be damned."

Do you even hear yourself talk? You realize that high school sports are for the kids, not the adults, right? And you are telling the kids that they can't play at all because they can't decide on July 14th exactly what postseason selection criteria is going to be?

I will bet you any bit of money you want that if you poll 100 high school football players whether they would rather play and figure out what the postseason will look like later or not play, that 100 will choose the former. Check yourself, friend. You are so deluded by COViD fear mongering your brain is rotting ...

And you have to be completely naive, stupid, or both to interpret my previous post as me not wanting there to be a season.

Not sure if you are a gloom and doomer or not. Regardless, there aren't any questions about the potential postseason this year that need to be answered on July 14th.

And you are telling the kids that they can't play at all because they can't decide on July 14th exactly what postseason selection criteria is going to be?
lol that's not at all what I said. Have you written anything remotely interesting or critical on this topic since March, or do you simply delude any concern into a half-baked and misrepresented "look at the doom and gloomer over there?"

I spoke with two football head coaches today that pretty much thought there was no chance of playing in the fall.
I think the OHSAA position is to cover their rear on potential lawsuits. As with the Gov. shutdown and the lawsuits that followed requiring them to reopen each time, I feel the OHSAA is taking themselves out of that equation. However the statement the interim director put out certainly opens themselves up to a whole bunch of potential conflicts moving forward. To have no say on any regular season contests? Wow!

Is it safe to assume if there is no football the OHSAA is done? Thats what I gather from Goldring's statement...

remember money talks, and if the state doesn't want the hot potato, I can see them going forward with the season despite concerns.

My gut after this says there will be a season, each locality will need to decide by a certain date to allow for scheduling.

I spoke with two football head coaches today that pretty much thought there was no chance of playing in the fall.
I think the OHSAA position is to cover their rear on potential lawsuits. As with the Gov. shutdown and the lawsuits that followed requiring them to reopen each time, I feel the OHSAA is taking themselves out of that equation. However the statement the interim director put out certainly opens themselves up to a whole bunch of potential conflicts moving forward. To have no say on any regular season contests? Wow!
Careful now, or Beavis is going to write a schizophrenic meltdown on how you're a "Doom and Gloomer,"

Have each person participating and attending sign a waiver and play on. Even charge for said signing. Maybe get a card or hat, that indicates I'm not suing anyone, but don't sneeze or cough on me!

Actually, a fair question really has to be, Why does anyone care if the OHSAA is planning for a season starting. On August 1, if they have absolutely nothing to do with that happening. Over and over again these guys on here keep using quotes from the OHSAA, But that now Really means zero to if we’re playing or not. That is not doom and gloom, that’s an actual fact. Please show me any school that has confirmed they are for sure starting as planned, nobody has,lreally means zero to if we’re playing or not. That is not doom and gloom, that’s an actual fact. Please show me any school that has confirmed they are for sure starting as planned, nobody has.
Our school is and they will be in class 5 days. Not what you like to hear, I know. Many other schools in our area announced today their plans and planned start date. Actual facts.

Is it safe to assume if there is no football the OHSAA is done? Thats what I gather from Goldring's statement...

remember money talks, and if the state doesn't want the hot potato, I can see them going forward with the season despite concerns.

My gut after this says there will be a season, each locality will need to decide by a certain date to allow for scheduling.
The OHSAA needs a postseason. A regular season without a postseason is likely an even bigger financial drain. They would likely still have certain costs without any of the revenue of the postseason. I'm sure there is alot of scrambling going on right now trying to figure things out.

I think you would have to be completely naive, stupid, or both, not to understand that rules and other things that happen this year are going to have to be decided on the fly. Guess what - I would rather have that than no football.

It's the people that don't want football that are always "but whatabout this" and "whatabout that"? I've got an idea for you, you want the season cancelled so bad - just pretend that it is already. You can ignore what the rest of us are doing from here on out ....
You can be for football and recognize that it's not going to be played. They are mutually exclusive. Thank you for supporting Joe Biden as President.

Again for all the people just realizing this, the OHSAA makes no decisions on this stuff. They run tournaments, that's it. The only person you need to worry about is Mike DeWine. You can put this in stone too, the state of Ohio will not come out and say football is cancelled, they will put things in place that will make it impossible for schools to comply and it will force them to have to cancel. Zero chance anyone anywhere in this state wants to have their hands tied to canceling a high school football season.

Of course. It’s called politics

If schools severely limit fans at the games, that does not help schools or OHSAA. Losses will be massive and opens them up to litigation. I'm not exactly sure what an average football team's expenses are per year, but there wouldn't be no way to make it up. IMO, no way the play this fall. Spring? Now that's a possibility.

If schools severely limit fans at the games, that does not help schools or OHSAA. Losses will be massive and opens them up to litigation. I'm not exactly sure what an average football team's expenses are per year, but there wouldn't be no way to make it up. IMO, no way the play this fall. Spring? Now that's a possibility.
Regular season ticket revenues could hurt schools slightly. Not so much the OHSAA. We do a YouTube live stream of our games. Could this turn into a “pay to watch” if fans are limited? Absolutely. And I think it’ll easily happen in postseason if ticket sales are limited. It takes very little overhead to stream games.

various tournaments (basketball in specific) make big bucks off of streaming. This is where the money will be made up.

The OHSAA has come out with a statement that they are awaiting governors orders for 4 or so sports. So, we will see on Thursday if anything is said. But after today and yesterday’s radio interview with OHSAA officials, it sounds like a done deal. We will play.

Unfortunately for some districts, this won’t be a reality.

I’m hearing some schools are looking into selling a live feed over the internet for games ... thought it was an interesting concept.

Curious (apologies if mentioned in another thread) what DeWine feels the need to have an emergency announcement at 5:30pm tomorrow. I don’t think he has done anything other than at 2pm this whole time.

Curious (apologies if mentioned in another thread) what DeWine feels the need to have an emergency announcement at 5:30pm tomorrow. I don’t think he has done anything other than at 2pm this whole time.
I'm sure it's not to have Ohioans gather around the TV, to hear him tell us "Keep up the good work, Ohio!"

I'm getting less optimistic by the day. honestly, I think it would be a miracle to have a full 10 game season in the fall without any interruptions. I look for them to push the season back 3 weeks or so. with kids back in school in most districts, cases will spike (which should be expected) and they will shut schools down again, at least partially. I pray for the best but as a die hard fan, I will be completely satisfied with at least a partial season at this point.

I'm predicting he mandates masks. can't think what else it could be.
I don't think it's the mandating of masks. I actually would think he's going to give sort of an impromptu "State of the State" on how Ohio is doing with the coronavirus.

My bold prediction: he's going to announce the lucky recipient of the first "Purple" County designation (stay-at-home order.) And it will be Franklin County.

Our school is and they will be in class 5 days. Not what you like to hear, I know. Many other schools in our area announced today their plans and planned start date. Actual facts.
My wife's district announced a five day return last month. Based on emails it sounds like the district is quickly formulating plans to go all remote based on current data. Things are moving and nothing is set in stone

My wife's district announced a five day return last month. Based on emails it sounds like the district is quickly formulating plans to go all remote based on current data. Things are moving and nothing is set in stone
Everyone hopes and plans to open schools but trying to abide by guidelines is tough not to mention teacher unions may have some say in the matter. Push start dates back to see what happens

Good grief. A total copout by the OHSAA again. First of all, would somebody please explain to me how fall sports can go forth this year? No fans = all expenses, no revenue. If professional sports are operating with a restricted fan attendance, there is no way in hell high school athletics are going to be allowed to operate with 5000 fans in attendance. Somebody has to make a decision--and it is not a tough one to make---NOW! What a prime example of lack of leadership.

I wouldn't want to be the person to tell the Massillon diehards only a certain percentage of them can get in to watch the game. That would never fly.