Boardman Football 2019

Spartan0505

Another season for the Boardman Spartans. Lots of talented players gone including O'Horo at QB, Ieraci at RB, Trevena and Kreps at WR, Arcuri and Craven on the OL/DL. Huzicka at TE, Hamdan at LB.

Looks like Wrentie Martin will be QB. He played some last year when O'Horo was hurt. Thompson at RB, Slocum at WR, Miller at TE/LB. Merdich is back on the OL and Fryda at Kicker. Going to need a ton of younger players to step up. The last couple freshman classes were really good so we'll see.

Also, the stadium should be 100% finished by start of the season. They started construction a couple weeks ago to finish the front facade with gates and ticket booths, building for more locker rooms, restrooms and concession plaza.

Schedule is as follows:

Erie McDowell
@ Poland
@ Massillon Jackson
Howland
Mooney
@ Garfield Heights
@ Warren Harding
@ Ursuline
Fitch
Canfield

Are the Spartans coming to Perry for a return scrimmage this year? I’m assuming so, but you know what they say about assuming lol.

I’m hearing a lot of sophs expected to start as there’s some very good talent there. Pretty good mix of athletes and some size in that class. And the QB Triveri will be a good backup and future starter.

They have a solid core of seniors back but they’ll need these young guys to step up for a playoff season.

Boardman's first scrimmage is Solon. So between them and Perry we should have a good idea of what this bunch brings to the table. There will be some inexperienced starters, yes, but the first two games are an opportunity to build depth and get some solid wins in the book before the schedule picks up. The incoming sophomore class has lots of talent, and to answer the Massillon related question, I believe the answer is yes. Pretty sure he coached our WRs around 07-09.

I think the days of Boardman sputtering around and squeaking in at 6-4 (even though that team probably could have won Region 7 in 2017 had they stayed healthy) are long over. This region is too tough as configured. 7-3 will be needed.

Boardman has its first scrimmage at home tomorrow against Stow at 10AM. With the Bulldogs, Solon, and Perry on the scrimmage schedule the team should be ready to go for Week 1. Also a nice chance to welcome Tom Phillips back to town, who did a great job with our Spartans many years ago.

Yeah picked up Stow since Poland is on the actual schedule this year so can't scrimmage them lol. Surprised according to Ignazio, Ryan and Martin are battling for the starting QB job.

Not sure of the details, but thanks to Stow having a bit of a social media presence I saw that Boardman won the scrimmage 3-1. Not sure how good Stow is supposed to be this year (went 5-5 last season against a D1/2 mixed schedule, several near misses though) but Boardman seemed to dominate on defense.

The first part of the scrimmage was made up of 10 play series, Boardman scored twice, Stow none. Then in the regular downs format Boardman scored once more but threw a pick six. Would love to hear what went down from anyone actually there. Stow scrimmages Ursuline on Friday, while we have Solon.

Really wish Boardman and Lake would reunite their series! Always was a good game.

So many fun games over the years..2007 being my favorite! But the schools are similar size/profile, I'd like to see them take Poland or Howland's slot on our schedule, plus a very manageable drive.

Best bet would be to get rid of Howland, they’re bigger then poland but will probably only win a few games annually

So many fun games over the years..2007 being my favorite! But the schools are similar size/profile, I'd like to see them take Poland or Howland's slot on our schedule, plus a very manageable drive.

2007 was a dandy. Very similar size, drive is manageable for an out of conference game and plus I haven’t been to the new stadium yet! Need to check it out. How are the Spartans looking this year?

For those coming over Thursday for the scrimmage, if you’re looking for a spot to get a sandwich or meal before or after the game, I suggest the Gametime Sports Pub in the Perry Town Center on the corner of Lincoln Way (Route 172) and Perry Drive. No, I’m not the owner or work there...lol.

I'm not sure honestly. I saw that much work is still needed to finish the stadium. Probably won't be done for several months.

Varsity two quarter game conditions ended up 14-14. Spartans using their no huddle, had Perry’s defense on its heels, scored on their fourth play from scrimmage on a 2 yard run. On Perry’s first possession, they drive to the Boardman 38 and throw a pick, on third and 12 at the Spartan 26 and it’s returned to the Spartan 47. On 4th and 13, from the Perry 29, Boardman converts to the Panthers one yard line and score two plays later on a run off left guard. 14-0 with 3:20 left in the first quarter.
Perry drives 70 yards on their next possession, with a 13 yard run. 14-7 with 10:12 to go in the second quarter.
Spartans drive to the Perry 12 on their next possession, but on fourth & 11 are stopped with a pass broken up in the end zone. Perry gets one first down and punts back to a Boardman. Spartans try 2 passes and a run, but only gain 4 yards and punt back to Perry.
Panthers start at their 10 with 4:15 left. On 4 runs are out to their 40. Then complete a pass and run for 50 yards to the Spartans 10. On third and goal from the 3, Perry scores & ties it up on the extra point with 1:09 left. Boardman runs their hurry up and on successive throws get to the Perry 41. With 20 seconds left the Panthers pick off a pass at their own 29 and run out the clock.
Both teams played well, especially Boardman early. Seemed to surprise Perry with the no huddle. Spartans converted several third and one fourth and longs on their scoring possessions. Two good looking QB’s, a good RB and good receivers. I was impressed with their play and physicality.
Perry’s offensive line did well on their scoring drives with nice holes gaining 5-11 yard chunks. Both teams were physical and it was a good last scrimmage for both.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report! Hope both teams have great seasons, would love to see this match-up on the regular season slate again but I feel like both staffs and teams like having this as the final dress rehersal.

Will be interesting to see who the starting QB is and if they rotate. Based off the scrimmages I'd have to say I'm pleased with where Boardman is heading into the season. Not that this should be a rebuilding year, but there are a lot of new starters on both sides of the ball.

Good to hear on a solid showing from a young Boardman team. Seems like most picked Perry in the top 2 in the Fed, so hanging even with them is a good sign. Couple that with Boardman controlling the previous scrimmage vs an ok d-1 Stow squad and it seems like Boardman should at least have a team that should be in the hunt for a D-2 playoff spot.