Black/White Who is really prejudice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is amazing, I've actually found a topic that I agree with Junkie and McGal on. :D
Dog-to answer your question, "when have white people ever been held back in this country", try asking that question to white individuals that have tried to get onto the police force or the fire department. I have personal experience with this involving my brother so I can say that they are occassions when whites (men especially) are held back because of there race.

Yes you are correct" these days"..Mcgal..but not in the past,even when I was in school.And Im not living in the past as well..you misinterpreted my post..I was merely stating why there was a need for black people to recognize black history month,because there was a time when it wasnt taught..Obviously your a little younger than I am....But next people will be complaining that there are courses in African American history in universities..Just counter responding to the questions thrown on this thread.

Last edited:
Dog Corporation said:
Yes you are correct" these days"..Mcgal..but not in the past,even when I was in school.And Im not living in the past as well..you misinterpreted my post..I was merely stating why there was a need for black people to recognize black history month,because there was a time when it wasnt taught..Obviously your a little younger than I am....But next people will be complaining that there are courses in African American history in universities..Just counter responding to the questions thrown on this thread.

No problem, I just wanted you to recognize that in this day and age, there isn't a big problem with what's being taught in school and honestly a lot of that has to do with Black History month (many teachers focus on the accomplishments of Blacks during Ferbruary.. especially in the younger grades).

Dog Corporation,

I understand what you are trying to say, and I for one white man, don't have a real problem with Black History month because of the fact we have not looked at the contributions African-Americans have made to this great nation of ours. I know Junkie keeps focusing on A White History Month, Or White Country Club, etc. but don't you at least see partially what Junkie is trying to say. He is only trying to say, if you form an "all white anything" you are considered a racist. But any other group can form Black Group this and Hispanic group that and nothing is said. It's like it's OK to acknowledge your personal ethnic being unless you are Caucasion. If you recognize anything as strictly Caucasian then you are considered racist.

My problem with any group that singles itself out like that is that it usually ends up focusing on how much they are persecuted, instead of a true celebration of who they are.

I know one thing that I have struggeld with is this whole Afircan-American title. Can you tell me why Blacks in the US now want to be referred to as African-American. I don't see Chinese people going around delcaring themselves Chinese American. Same goes for any other ethnic group. My wife is proud of her Irish heritage but when she is asked what is her nationality she answers I am an American and proud of it. She does not declare herself Irish-American. Same goes for any of the other European, Latin Americans etc. But Blacks seem to thrive on singling themselves out with the African-American label. I really would like to hear the explanation of this. Because I believe this labeling also contributes to the divisiveness between the races.

Oh yea, I don't want this to look like I am attacking you Dog Corporation. On the contraire, I appreciate your candid answers and your straightforward approach. I just wish we could find some others folks to post in here to to get a more wide spread viewpoint.

I appreciate withrownatiboy and his comments too. But I do have a problem with what he has been trying to say. I think he should realize that no matter if you are black, white, yellow or purple, if you choose to be successful without compromising, then he will run into road blocks because of that attitude not necessarily because someone is a racist. If he succeeeds than more power to him. But I think it is unfair for him to think someone is a racist because he has corn rows in his hair. Because in reality, "pony tails" on a guy would not be accepted either in places that have an issue with corn rows.

I think that is another point Junkie tries to continually make. That some times someone is treated a certain way because of norms not because of race. Yet a person of color is always quick to scream racism whereas a white person will be more willing to accept it and move on. THe white person may not like the decisons just as much as the person of color but instead of screaming prejudice they tend to be more willing to move on.

Any way, keep posting Dog Corporation, I find your posts intrigueing and thought provoking. I really appreciatel it.

Last edited:
Like I said Junkie..send me your email address,and I would gladly give you proof of what I say..its not aboiut being pasionate about things..its about people being picky of what others have..There are other things in life I worry about as opposed to what others have and what I dont have....Like I said..Im sure youve never been to the Apollo to know what youre talking about..I have seen it first hand. This topic could go on forever..you see things from how you were raised Im sure,and I see things in other ways,but fortunately there are some similarities when it comes to ignorance.Its a case of looking at the glass half empty or half full..Im not trying to convince you to see things my way just stating how does things like how dies the Miss Black America pageant affect you or what has the NAACP done to white people to offend you ? The NAACP stands up for the rights of black people who has been discriminated against..When you live in a multicultral society like America,your going to have many different types of organizations supporting their people...But if you have some extreme groups promoting hate,then to me it becomes a problem...And just as youve been bypassed for jobs,Im sure I have been bypassed twice as many times..but thats not the issue..that doesnt mean Im going to cry and whine that whites have it better than I do...If you dont think whites in most cases have it better in this society that minorities do then you will never understand...I said that about the Country Clubs, because you have never heard of a Black Country Club looking down on whites and if there was such a thing..you said it yourself why would you care..Then why would you care about the NAACP or Miss Black America ?

Wasn't the NAACP started by white people? I'm not positive, but I believe that it was to account for the mistreatment that the black citizens endured.

I'm white but I do have a part of me that feels that there is an injustice in our society towards blacks. I don't like the things that seperate us like the "Miss Black America" pageant, but you have to understand that these events were started before when there was still a major division between the races. Because of tradition, these events will continue for awhile until there is complete equality in our society.

Also, many times these arguments are based on personal viewpoints but should be taken as viewed from a societal angle. White Americans have advantages because of history allowing us to pass down our wealth from generation to generation. Until very recently, this wasn't possible for Black Americans.

There are many "blue-blooded" families that have passed down their ill-gotten gains to each generation of spoiled brats. You have to look no further than the Kennedy Klan to see an example of a family who has amassed great amounts of money in a less than honorable way and then bought their way into power.

MoeDude..it works both ways..i see where Junkie and the others are trying to say..but on the flipside,they have to as well see where Im coming from..Alot of what you see today of what blacks have done for themselves has everything to do with the past.Now if there was an all white organization,which if you look at it in terms of nationality like Germans and Italians or jews etc,then there are,because I dont believe there are many 100% fullblooded Americans in this country..Theres a difference when someone takes pride in their culture without being hateful towards others..I just have a problem that people have singled out blacks specifically. And as far as being labeled by nationality almost everyone has to be referred to in the proper context by what they are..You cant call Asians ..Orientals any more..or Blacks negores...etc.But I wonder why white people have a problem..if you would prefer to be called Jim instead of james..then no big deal..people are just to picky of little things that are uneccessary..We have bigger things to be worried about.But you say white people are quick to not make issues of color,but isnt that why we're here ?If there was a specific party for German people or italian people, then it wouldnt bother me or many people I know unless it spewed hatred towards others like the Klan does..

I dont feel like you are attacking me MoeDude,in fact I appreciate your comments as well..but like I said, we see things from 2 different views from a minority and majority stanpoint,and its been a disagreement before you and I were ever born and will be Im sure after we're dead and gone.,,All I say is look at the past,and you will understand why some things are as they are today..just because some things may have gotten a little better,doesnt mean the problem is close to totally gone in terms of racism..

Last edited:
Go Bucks.. thats precisely the point Ive been trying to make..these types of organizations werent spawned to piss off white people..but because there were no options for black people to fend for themselves..And until things drastically change in this world with all races..then debates like these will be lengthy and plentiful..

Last edited:
Junkie you made the statement in terms of "what if there was a NAAWP" the proof is there right in front of you....And I can show you proof of the Apollo thing as well...Im sure there isnt an outrage, because the organization seems non violent..so how is this organization different from the NAACP.. ? see it doesnt matter to me who has what..as long as its done for good purposes without degrading others....And tyler..if you dont know of blacks being held back in this country at anytime..then you arent too aware of your surroundings....Thats why you shouldnt say things that you arent sure of without the facts to back it up....And Junkie..i dont feel youre attack me at all in fact there is no reason to..just a heated debate on a touchy subject..I appreciate your thoughts on this..I have some friends that have said the same things to me as you have..

Last edited:
MoeDude,
I don't see somebody going off about my hair as a racist. More Black people trip off it than whites. Matter of fact, Coach Jackson didn't let people with Afros & braids play ball for him when I went to Withrow. He said it was a matter of image, something to the effect of: just because we're from Withrow & mostly Black, we're going to have to work twice as hard to dispel people's prejudgments of us. Anything resembling a "gangsta" image will hurt that. I respected that idea, so I respect what ya'll are saying. I might cut my hair when I graduate, but not anytime soon.

It MIGHT be 50,000 pure Americans left here. They were eradicated pretty nicely in the 1800s.

It wasnt a rule Grit..it was the way things were..Blacks couldnt vote..blacks werent allowed to participate in the same sports as whites did..blacks couldnt perform in certain places....And when blacks were finally allowed to be on television it was cast roles of servants and other stereotypical roles...Theres a lot you need to look into for why some things are as they are now and not assume things based on personal feelings..Now that doesnt mean in any way blacks to be bitter about things in the past(as I know some people are),but so many questions are asked about why is there this but not that and so on.Some people just dont understand because they have never experiecned such things at such an extreme..

Last edited:
Dog,

I respect your opinions and your vigor in presenting them, but doesn't dredging up the mistakes of the past just help people to keep remembering them instead of moving on. That's what ending racism is all about. Moving on (not forgetting..just moving on) from past inequities and trying to become one HUMAN race, since that is seriously the only race. Look at the positives of today instead of the negatives of the past. I'm sure your family and many others bring up the past often. Just try to re-focus the conversation/people's attitudes on what is good about today.

Its not about rehashing the past Mcgal..people on here have been asking why do black people have this but if white people did,then it would be a problem..I was merely stating things are the way they are as a result of the way things once were in this country....Im not bitter about it, but its unfortunately the way it is not only with blacks but other minorities until things continue to change with everyone.It will be easier to move past things if people werent so sensitive to small issues....And I can assure you..this is not a topic my family and I discuss,but we cant move past things when others question why things are they way they are and have no knowledge of why.And unfortunately we still are making the same mistakes that we did in the past.

McGal & Dog Corp.

I partly understand what Dog Corporation is trying to say because there is an old saying, I am not sure from where, that states, "we are doomed to repeat the transgressions of the past unless we study it and understand it" This is not the exact quote but it is close enough.

We must understand the past to understand where we are in the future. But I feel that when some people get engulfed with the tragedies of the past it is difficult for them to focus on a more positive future. From my perspective that is what minority "special interest" groups tend to do.

Last edited:
Thanks MoeDude for trying to see it from the other side...You are correct in the quote you mentioned..and theres a quote I remember from college that goes as....

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."

Why don't we have a white history month? Have you read your history books recently. White history month is every month--except maybe February. White's get 11 months, blacks get one. Seems fair to me :confused:

A more specific answer to the question: we don't and won't have a white history month until White's become a minority in our country and experience the discrimination, segregation, slavery, etc. that black people have.

Another factor to consider. African Americans have their own culture and ethnicity. What is the culture of whites? What is the ethnicity of whites? There are none. The culture is based on the ethnicity. So, should we have a German, Polish, Irish, etc. month?

Just as a question, why are all "africans" lumped together? Shouldn't you be like of Zairean heritage or Libyan heritage. White people have countries to their heritage. I don't think your heritage means nearly as much to you if you're white to be honest (this is a compliment to the african american culture...celebrate your culture.. you do it more than many irish, italians, germans, etc).

just a fan said:
Why don't we have a white history month? Have you read your history books recently.

The history book argument is old. You're thinking from what history books were like years ago too. Nowadays, they celebrate the accomplishments of all cultures. Like I said before, black culture is being celebrated and taught in the schools. Colleges and universities have minorites studies majors never mind the classes they almost all offer at this point in different cultures (many in african american culture). You live in America, you should learn American history. That is the base history taught to most youngsters. Included in that history are the accomplishments of many different cultures and peoples.

I dont think the history book arguement is the only topic thats old.And as you said before Mcgal why cant we move past it,because people will continue to have a thought( just as you recently did) about things,and when a thought or question is produced,then you can expect an answer.Its great that universities teach about other cultures,its just people question why are there specific cultures being taught and not others and I dont see why thats an issue..I have no problem with it..in fact I enjoy learning about other cultures when the opportunity arises.And youre right,we live in America and it makes sense to teach American history..but unfortunately some parts were left out.And again,the way history books were years ago are why things are the way they are in this day and age in some instances....The universities have definitely taken a step in the right direction.

No problem DC... we're cool.. I think all in all, we agree on the major points and disagree on minor ones... it's cool.

Wait a second. Blacks could vote since the 15th amednment passed after the Civil War. They could vote before women.

As far as history books go, there arn't any specifically white heros like there are black heros in Malcom X or Dr. King. I am a history major, and there is only so much that you can put into a book. There are more white people in history books than black, but those are the major leaders of our country at that time. The books do say that in the South after the war, there were 13 black congressmen.. and even before the war there were atleast 3 black millionaires in Louisiana alone.

I think I' ve got a little off track..

Grit what are you trying to say ? I dont get the point of your post.Lincoln abolished slavery,that didnt mean whites stopped owning slaves,just because blacks had the right to vote,that didnt mean blacks could just walk into polls and vote(which is one of the reasons that spawned the civil rights movement).And as far as the hero thing you were saying,Im not going to get into that because my list of white heroes in this country would be lengthy,but heroes in this country has nothing to do with to with what has been discussed in this thread.

Yeah..always up early Junkie..especially when earning a living(just hope the boss doesnt walk in)..but check your history..Slavery was abolished in 1865..that didnt mean some states immediately ratified..(ex.Mississippi) ...Why do you think there was a Civil Rights movement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.