Black/White Who is really prejudice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
withrownatiboy,

I have not defended WLW 700 and Cunningham. I think Cunningham is an idiot. I don't know how anyone can take him serious. So yes some of the junk on WLW is terrible and just contributes to the problems.

As for the "Buzz" for the most part I was really into it during the spring. It was like a drug, i would listen to it on the way home from work every evening to try and understand the feelings. back in the beginning of this mess i heard a lot of good conversation about what the problems were and what needed to be dealt with. But lately, I just find a lot of imflamatory junk just like WLW. Frankly, I think both stations need to cool it or the job to mend the issue will never get accomplished.

As far as your personal experiences i can't say I know what you have expereince being black. I will say my eyes were opened when I used to go on business trips with a black co-worker. We used to go into small town America and he brought to my attention the looks we would get when we went into restaurants together. Believe me they were not welcoming stares. so I was exposed to it on a very small level so I know slightly how horrible it feels.

But i also agree with Junkie's point of view. I would not state it as boldly and impersonal as he did, but if you want to work in corporations or organizations of any kind at a higher level there are some norms that you must conform. I myself have had to adjust to corporate America to survive. But here I am a middle age white guy and I am being forced out of my job while younger woman and people of color are being offered promotions.

Do I hold a grudge against the individuals, NO! I am ;issed off at the beaucracy. We should be rewarding merit and hard work not quotas. Affirmative Action was needed when it was first installed but it has out lived its usefulness and is now just driving the wedge deeper between the races.

just a fan,

You are right. I apologize for giving the impression "The Buzz" is dominated by derogatory remarks. Actually they have some really good commentators through out the day. I just get a little sensitve about the trash just like others get upset with WLW.

But there is definitely a double standard going on and it is time to start holding everyone accountable for what they say or do. Not just the selected few that fit into the "politically incorrect" mold.

Junkie said:
Polar Bear, about your black joke story,
Chris Rock can sit there in front of a mixed audience and make fun of white people for two hours and everyone in the audience will laugh. Again, a double standard.
Junkie-
You obviously didn't understand my post. I didn't say anything about stand up comedians.

What I said was: It is hard for me- as a parent of a biracial child- to know what to do when someone tells me a black joke? Do I laugh, and not tell them that my daughter is biracial? (Which I don't feel would be being true to her.)

OR....do I tell them that my daughter is biracial, that I don't appreciate listening to those types of remarks/jokes, and have the person get angry with me? (Usually those who tell me these type of jokes are people I am just meeting for the first time- as everyone who knows me knows my daughter as well....this would make a first meeting VERY ackward- agreed?)

Regardless, I really have no interest in what Chris Rock or Eddie Murphy or Robin Williams or Margaret Cho or any comedian tells jokes about. My comment was strictly in regards to my daughter and my confusion about what to say to people who say derogatory racial comments to me- not knowing that my daughter is half African-American. I was not trying to neither start or participate in some type of debate about race relations.

purplebear.gif

Everyone is..

I work and am friends with people that are not white like me, as we get along fine.

but there are certain underlying tensions that get people every time. You may not show it, but everyone thinks it.

I hope that these thoughts and feelings die down.

MoeDude, no need to apologize. I've also enjoyed listening to the Buzz from time to time and some of the commentators do get carried away with their comments as do those at WLW. Two radio stations at the opposite ends of the continium. I guess trash talk is inevitable regardless of the issue.

Although Affirmative Action may no longer be needed as it was originally designed, the fact that racism is still rampant in many communities is a good indication that it is needed in some form. Yes, white people get passed up for jobs due to Affirmative Action. Likewise, black people are often not considered for a job simply because they are black. So, some people get passed up due to a policy and others due to the color of their skin.

I'm white so I can't completely understand what many african americans have gone through. Due to my experiences with mental illness, however, I can say that I've gotten a glimpse and it's not been pleasant.

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder back in 1990 while I was in graduate school. As soon as the professors of the doctoral program found out, I was pressured out. I was on disability for two years when I decided that, regardless of what the doctors said, I was going back to work. I was nieve, I didn't realize how much stigma there is towards people with mental illness. If it were not for the ADA, I would not have been able to return to work. The church that I was attending asked me to leave--they were afraid that I might "loose it" and kill someone. One night I had to be taken to the hospital from my apartment. When my landlord found out why I was taken to the hospital, I was evicted. No, he's not allowed to do that, but try fighting it. Discrimination due to an illness rather than my race. I suspect that they are similar.

I think I've always tried to be accepting of people regardless of their race/ethnicity. My experiences with mental illness has made it much easier.

Junkie I disagree,I have seen plenty black comedians poking fun at other black people.And theres plenty of double standards involved with any race.Seems like every one has a racist slur name for just about every nationality.Some people are very sensitive about things, and its not only black people or Asians or Jews.I remember attending a Michigan/Ohio State football game while I was in College years ago.I went with a bunch of friends and a couple of which were of Jewish faith..and I remember there was a group of guys walking towards us and one of the guys had a t-shirt on that said "The Hitler world tour",and on the back of it,it had the countries that Germany had conquered in ww 2 and in small print at the bottom it had a Mcdonalds parody that said "over 10 million served".First thing I thought was that this guy was one of those ignorant "white power" guys..but it just turned out he wore the shirt to simply be funny..Well my buddy saw the shirt,and I could see him fuming right away and told the guy what he thought of the shirt.It almost came to blows as you could imagine.Now thats what I call extreme..not the stuff of people simply poking fun at each other like Comedians do.I have heard white comedians poke fun of black people,Asian people,etc..they are Comedians..thats what they do..theres a difference in being funny and being ignorant IMO.

Polar Bear we are in the same boat as far as children goes.I dont mind people telling "black" jokes around me,but just not in front of my children as they are young and may not understand.But unfortunately,some people dont know any better.

Junkie..well the white comedians I have seen and heard make light of issues with blacks havent spent a moment behind bars nor have been shunned..Ive never heard Chris Rock or any black commedian say anything derrogatory about whites as I see lots of whites at Chris Rock shows nor have I heard any whites say anything derrogatory towards blacks as well.Like I said..theres a difference between being funny and being ignorant.

Last edited:
Junkie is right.

Didn't andrew Dice Clay do something along those lines and get banned from MTV for life?

Junkie said:
Dog, obviously black comedians poke fun at other blacks (Chris Rock was just an example). But if a white comedian did it, he'd be arrested for a hate crime. Blacks can make fun of whites all they want, though, and it's acceptable. Someone tell me why?

I can't believe I agree with Junkie. He is right on in this situation.

WithrowAlum,

I am in college and I took a class called Professional Development. It was to get college students ready to Co-op. In the class they were saying when you go to an interview get a hair cut, be clean shaven, dress professionally, and other stuff like that. Coporate America wants everyone to look the same. It doesn't matter if you like it or not. You will notice about as many black men with afros as you do white guys with long hair and a motorcycle rider apparence in coporate America. This is the way America works, either get on the train or get left behind.

Andrew Dice clay was offensive to everyone and was just plain annoying riding his 15 mins of fame..But Sam Kennison did also but was banned anywhere..It depends on who you talk to...

Junkie ..have you ever bothered to ask any black people what offends them or are you assuming ? I still havent heard you say who black people have complained about thats so offesive in the comic world that offended them ....Watch BET Comic View and you will hear many black comedians make fun of themselves and other blacks and then your question will be answered. Like I said..I have heard white comics make light of black without incident..I have been to comedy clubs and heard it first hand..Ive heard Rodney Dangerfield..do it..I just watched the Family Guy this past Wednesday where they were in a sense making light of being black as well as on South Park in previous episodes..Again like I said,theres a difference between being funny and being ignorant.

Again you are assuming,because I have seen it first hand..I have friends who have laughed at white comics making light of blacks..Please give me proof of a situation that you speak of where a black person was offended by a white comic..again you are ASSUMING....Ive seen white comics do it on BET..no one had a problem..being funny and being ignorant....big difference..

This is the one topic that I was afraid would turn bad. Glad to see everyone is taking the right approach and I hope no one takes the low road...

Thanks Yappi

Yappi,

Thanks for not closing this. I knew too i was taking a chance but I was hoping to get some different perspectives/viewpoints.

All ohters,

I think for the most part people on all sides are genuinely concerned about the problem of racism. The only way we can help each other through it is to have not only open ears but open hearts and be sensitive to what others say and feel.

To be honest, I could care less about racism. I got it on my mind that I'm going to be successful in this lifetime without compromising, and anyone who plans on blocking that will get melted. Whether white, Black, purple, green, badge-wearing, kufi-wearing, or whatever.

Junkie,
It's a comic named Honest John who talks about Black people kinda like Chris Rock does whites. Question: Why are you so stuck on that, though?

Junkie you seem to have an issue when black people or others minorities want things for themselves.Example..when blacks werent allowed to play baseball,blacks formed the negro leagues.Whites in this country hold the majority of big paying jobs,and when black people want to succeed for themselves,then it becomes a problem in the eyes of others.You cant have a white accountant society because whites arent the minority in this world.Believe it or not,the past still holds alot of what appens with minorities in this world today.Do you have a problem with Italian,Mexican or Chinese people having resturants ? Is it a double standard to have Oktoberfest ? I remember people were a little bitter because America wanted to recognize Martin Luther King day.Do you have a problem with Black History month ? And what exacty is a 2 way street in your eyes ?Because basically all youve said is why is it that blacks can have this but if whites did,then it would be a problem..Dont you feel whites do have things that blacks dont ? You thnk the way you do, because you arent a minority..Whether you dont want to realize it,minorities in this country still arent given a fair shake...so until that becomes a two way street,youre right..there will always be racism..

Last edited:
I have to agree with Junkie on what he is trying to say. At work we have Black Managers elcetronic mail groups, we have Female Managers electronic mail groups and now we have a mail group set up for Hispanics. These mail conferences are closed to people who are not of the particular target group. These group also have meetings and seminars that discuss why and how they are prejudiced against.

I understand the support group theory, that it helps one to adjust if they have a group of their peers to talk with and discuss issues. And to a point some of this is good and helps one adjust.

But my experience has shown me that as these "support" groups become stronger, they tend to become very negative and only focus on how they are persecuted. I never here anything come out of these groups except mandates and demands on how to make their plight better. Rarely do you here anything that truly promotes comaraderie/or integration amongst all people.

That to me is what is wrong with the so called "special interest support" groups. These groups in the end promote segregation by blatantly identifying differences and focusing on the negative interactions that occur to the specific "special interest group".

Like I said I understand the need fot support but I think these groups step over the line and in most cases become negative and end up sub consciously supporting segregation not integration.

Junkie, am I on the right track with what you are trying to say?

Last edited:
I figured you would have a problem with black history month..I bet you cant tell me how much balck history you have read in your history book,because I know I didnt see any chapters about black accomplishments in history..The Miss America pageant was all white that why there is a Miss Black America pageant because black women werent allowed to participate.Do you also have a problem with all women organizations as well ?.you dont get it....Like I said youre not a minrity to understand why such things exist, when Whites are the majority.I would figure you would know Oktoberfest is recognized for people of German pursuasion..But you didnt answer my question..is it a double standard because there are Chinese,Mexican,or Italian resturants ? But according to you Junkie,anyone that has something representing their heritage makes them racists or its wrong...Like I said..youve never been a minority to see the other side of the picture. Why would you need a United Caucasion College fund when you arent a minority.Shouldnt you be upset also because there isnt a United Chinese College Fund or a United Italian or Mexican College fund ? Seems you have a problem with black people doing things for themselves.Why would you want those things for whites only when Whites are the majority in this country....I guess its wrong to have Martin Luther King Day also...Look back in history and you will see why this country is so separated.If you dont think the past has any reflection on today then youre fooling yourself.But the day we all treat each other equally,then things will always be the way they are now in this country.

Do you know why such things exist in terms of Miss Black America....Im sure you can see that White history events dominate what America is taught..black history tell us what white history doesnt teach us..Should blacks be upset becuse white history is more acknowledged ?..If I were to quiz you,would you know more about White history than Black history?..and be honest.Like you said its a double standard.Whites greatly out number the % of people in Universities.Of course theres going to be more poor white people in this country, because there simply are more White people populationwise in this country.Again you are aassuming when you make accusations that blacks would be upset if whites specifically did things for themselves..I hardly see any black people being upset because they cant join the Klan..but thats an extreme group that hates.. Ive never heard of the NAACP hating white people.If you are a minority in this world, its going to be a little harder getting along than it is being the majority.Its not an excuse..its fact...I didnt make the rules,thats just unfortunately how things are.

I have to say that I agree with Junkie.

Not from a racial stand point, but the inequality that many minorities experience is the inequality that they made themselves.

When you are in a situation (which I have been in) and tell a black person that yea, we are equals.. They respond with something like "that is what you are taught".. which it is yea, but I also believe it.

When you do anything against a minority person as you would do something against a person of your own race, they often times accuse you of being racist- even though it didn't matter the race, only the actions.

There may be a need for programs like Affirmative Action, and groups like the NAACP- but is whites were to make something of the like, even a White Entertainment Television, then there would be an uproar!

So, yeah, I agree with Junkie. No, I am not racist.

(And yea, many black women are hot!)

What was ABC..NBC..and CBS when blacks werent allowed on TV..Who Owns ABC..CBS..and NBC..certainly not black people..If you watch BET you will see there are white people on it..BET stands for black entertainment television..it doesnt say Blacks only.....theres a telelvision station for the Klan as well..blacks could care less..

Then if you arent sure Junkie about blacks not being allowed on TV..then you are assuming which proves my point..you need to check it our for yourself and you will be surprised how black people were treated in this country,or I would be glad to send you some information that would make you a little more aware of things...Eventually black people were "allowed" on televison,which shows the need why Black history is needed,then you will know for sure...And the statement about BET,I was responding to Grit's post...he mentioned the usual about if there was a white TV station (which there are) then blacks would assumingly be upset...Now if there were black organizations preaching hate and that white people or whomever else are bad people, I would have absolutely no tolerance for such a group... Again there is separtiism in this country unfortunately being it Churches..Country Clubs...even schools in some cases.....Junkie..send me your email address..I want you to read something I saw in a Harvard Law school exam..and I would like to hear your response...

Dog,

I am saying that if there was a WHITE entertainment TV or a WHITE history month- many would not like it.

As far as white people being on TV the most (NBC,CBS,etc) that could be because there are more than 3 times the amount of white people in the US than blacks.

Saying that all other TV in America is WHITE is not fair. Plus, look at the amount of Black Celebs compared to whites.. that is about equal. Football, Basketball, some music, and yes, some TV is dominated by Blacks. Latin Americans also have a share in the celeb status.

As far as the normal man goes.. I know that there are places in the county that don't like blacks. I also know that there are people that don't like white people. My personal feelings toward blacks are feelings of indifference (as I feel toward anyone else that I don't know).

I do know that black people often turn a simple conversation into what looks like racism, but I have also been with a black person fighting on his side (he threw chairs) when someone called him the 'N' bomb.

Grit..thats why theres a black history month, because there was no mention of black history books in schools for years....If there was a White TV station for Whites only then yes there would be a problem, thats why I brought up the Klan TV station..Tell me where theres a black TV station where whites arent allowed on it...And again like I said..you see alot of specific organizations,because at some point in time minorities werent accepted in what we call society now..and when minorities fend for themselves,then it becomes a problem..ive tried giving examples..like the Negro leagues in baseball..or an answer to Junkies response about Miss Black America...Now I will agree there are some extreme organizations that make blacks and whites look ignorant....But if someone told you that you couldnt participate in something because of who and what you are..then what would you do ?..I mean up until 1967 interracial marriges were illegal..I say that because things are slowly changing..but when we get picky because this group is doing something that another group may be shunned for,then you are being just as sensitive as you would say another group would be.

My point is that this is not 1967 anymore. This is 2001, close to 2002. Racism still exists, minimal in most cases, but it is on both ends of the table- black and white.

It seems that black people are segregating themselves from whites:

Have you ever seen a white person at the Appolo Theater?

NAACP, are whites allowed to join? (I seriously don't know.)

Like Junkie said, there is no need for a Black Miss America.. Can whites enter that?

I think that may be why there is any question of racism now, atleast in this part of the country.

Look at this: If there is a group called

White Boys Only Country Club then it would cause tension.

If there was a Miss WHITE America that would be a problem.

If there was a National Association for the Advancment of White People then that would be a problem.

If you have to ask such questions like is there Whites at the Apollo theater then you've never been there yourself or watched the show..but to answer your question..yes there have been...
in fact many(obviously not as many blacks,but whites can and DEFINITELY have performed there)

Many white people contribute to the NAACP

Could a black woman be a part of the Miss America Pagent in the ignorant years of America..which are reasons that spawned orginizations like the NAACP and the Miss Black America pageant

Again..why would there be a need for the Advancement organization for white people...when have white people been ever held back form anything in this country.

And if you could join the NAACP..would you ? because if you wouldnt, then why would you complain that its a black orginization...its not putting down whites or showing hatred.

And we dont even want to talk about the things that go on at Country Clubs in terms of white and black..

Dog Corporation said:
I figured you would have a problem with black history month..I bet you cant tell me how much balck history you have read in your history book,because I know I didnt see any chapters about black accomplishments in history..

Actually, most history books these days recognize accomplishments of all races, and most colleges offer multiple courses in African American history, culture, etc. You're living in the past on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.