Birds and other Animals

The male red-breasted grosbeak showed up today, the female was at the feeder multiple times on Sunday. The male is much more skittish at the feeder. Pretty bird! Usually seem to only be around for about a week.

1683642846401.png

Makes all the stray cats happy too.

This bird was much bigger than that. There are big cardinals and blue jays here, it was about the same size as those. Colors are right though.
Thrasher seems right then.

The biggest cardinal is the same size as the smallest robin. Blue jays are a little bigger than robins.

Thrasher seems right then.

The biggest cardinal is the same size as the smallest robin. Blue jays are a little bigger than robins.
the cardinals I'm looking at are bigger than the robins. He'll stand on the porch railing on his evening tour so I get a good look. The blue jay doesn't cross the drive but will perch on the fence along the drive. The Blue Jay is definitely bigger. I guess it's all pretty close but I'd say this brown bird was a tad taller than a robin. Of course, I was looking through binoculars last I saw it, so maybe it's got me thinking bigger. Sure hope I see it again, it was nice looking.

These two I'd never seen before, but then, I don't go hunting for things. It's just what crosses paths. Usually it's just ducks, geese, gulls, blue heron and egrets, crows, some little sparrow looking things that like to dash through the chain links. Dozens of those will hand out in a small bush. Fun to watch. A yellow thing, you told me last year what that is. The black bird with the bright red spot on the head and that one in the picture just above I'll see on occasion.

Bald eagle flying over the yard at friends. We took priorities. Get the kids under cover or protect the walleye. More fish for us.

Birds seemed to have moved on around here. Back to robins, crows and sparrows.

We've noticed the male cardinal giving a piece of egg shell (my better half crushes them and puts them around the azaleas) to the female cardinal last year. This year - after mowing - we saw the male cardinal picking up bits of grass - or was it bugs - and feeding them to a young female in tow. Pretty cool.

While pruning the hollies, I was visited by one of those small birds that like to hang out in them. It seemed to be about two feet away from me, face to face. I said 'hey, buddy' (hoping it was not in attack mode) then it flew into one of the hollies down the line to join its' chattering clan. Too close to the nest?

^^^

Wrens?
I think that's what those tiny birds are that like to commune en masse in bushes. They've decided my garage looks like home.

Leaving the house this morning, thought a black garbage bag had blown against the fence. Went to get it. Snapper, over a foot long. Looked like it was digging a trench for eggs. A 30 acre park nearby and it's got to choose my drive. We had a talk. If it made noise, it was soup.

Came home in the evening and turtle gone. We'll see.

Been a deer poking around too but she stays on her side of the fence, I think. The bunny, not so much.

Squirrel in the tree up front cussing me out because the NEIGHBOR'S cat was out on my (our) porch. I shooed away the cat and squirrel spends five more minutes giving ME the stare down and cuss-out.

I don't own my own home.

^^^

Wrens?
I think that's what those tiny birds are that like to commune en masse in bushes.
They've decided my garage looks like home.

Leaving the house this morning, thought a black garbage bag had blown against the fence. Went to get it. Snapper, over a foot long. Looked like it was digging a trench for eggs. A 30 acre park nearby and it's got to choose my drive. We had a talk. If it made noise, it was soup.

Came home in the evening and turtle gone. We'll see.

Been a deer poking around too but she stays on her side of the fence, I think. The bunny, not so much.

Squirrel in the tree up front cussing me out because the NEIGHBOR'S cat was out on my (our) porch. I shooed away the cat and squirrel spends five more minutes giving ME the stare down and cuss-out.

I don't own my own home.
Only got a quick look, but possibly Carolina Wrens. Looked at some pics and listened to bird song, which sounded familiar.

Used to see rabbits around a lot (I think they made a home under my work shed), but not lately. Blame it on the neighborhood cats.

Speaking of cats, I think one got a robin last year and a towhee this year. Nests in the euonymus on the brick wall aren't the best location.

Last edited:
Bald eagle flying over the yard at friends. We took priorities. Get the kids under cover or protect the walleye. More fish for us.

Birds seemed to have moved on around here. Back to robins, crows and sparrows.
Bald eagles are fish eagles.

They would never attack a small human.

Bald eagles are fish eagles.

They would never attack a small human.

unless they were holding a fish. :D

Has an eagle ever picked up a human?

An Eagle Tried to Carry Off a Child During a Wildlife Show at ...

Eagles have tried to carry off children before, though it was much more of a problem 100 years ago. One eagle tried to carry off a Scottish baby, and another a child in Maine. In Milwaukee, an eagle snatched a two-month-old child from its cradle and flew back to its nest.

About 2 and half, three feet tall. Long neck of course.. Tiny head. I should have paid more attention to the beak. Not sure if it was long or short. Dark brown with a very solid body. Not slim at all. Walking along the drive. Bit of a strut. Not an egret, huron or coronet that I'm used to seeing so I don't know what it was. Walked maybe fifty feet, then into brush, then I don't know what happened. Didn't make a sound. Local birds and bunny just stared at it as in disbelief. Thought it a wild turkey, which I've heard of, never seen. But no gobbler on it.

Last edited:
Had a pair on the wood pile yesterday.
Got out in the backyard early enough to see male and female sapsuckers on a sweet gum tree. One on one side and the other on the other.

There are some dead branches on some of the trees as a result of a downburst we experienced fifteen years ago. Took a week to clean up the mess.

I've seen the male on one of those branches before, but this was the first time I saw the female.

About 2 and half, three feet tall. Long neck of course.. Tiny head. I should have paid more attention to the beak. Not sure if it was long or short. Dark brown with a very solid body. Not slim at all. Walking along the drive. Bit of a strut. Not an egret, huron or coronet that I'm used to seeing so I don't know what it was. Walked maybe fifty feet, then into brush, then I don't know what happened. Didn't make a sound. Local birds and bunny just stared at it as in disbelief. Thought it a wild turkey, which I've heard of, never seen. But no gobbler on it.
lol, Turkeysaurus. Back today and got a good luck. foot and a half, maybe two. It IS a turkey. I'd heard there were some around here along the tracks but this is the first time I've ever seen a wild turkey. Pretty bird. Probably be soup soon. Too many nutters around here.

At Christmas in 2005 my wife and I spent spent some time in Arkansas looking for a reported Ivory-billed.

We saw seven other species of woodpeckers in the first half-hour, but no IB.

Tip-to-tail a male wild turkey is 46".
What about ground to top? This one doesn't seem that big.

Just walking around in the open. I saw it from a window and went to the porch to look. Forgot I'd cleaned yesterday and had put a brick to hold down a mat. Stepped on the brick, nearly fell, made a lot of noise and it just ran, never left the ground. For the life of me, I thought turkeys could fly. :D

This one has NO survival skills walking around in the open like that. Might be young.

Just walking around in the open. I saw it from a window and went to the porch to look. Forgot I'd cleaned yesterday and had put a brick to hold down a mat. Stepped on the brick, nearly fell, made a lot of noise and it just ran, never left the ground. For the life of me, I thought turkeys could fly. :D

This one has NO survival skills walking around in the open like that. Might be young.
There is a flock at Maumee Bay State Park that are the same. They will hang out in the middle of road and never seem to be in a hurry. You'd think a mink, coyote, or fox would make a meal of them but that does not appear to be the case.

We've seen turkey in our yard three times. The second time he was on our porch, the third time he followed my wife around the yard as she pulled weeds from her flowers.

Like deer, I believe they understand there is no hunting within the city limits.

I've seen turkeys roosting in trees. I know they're not climbing up there.

There is a flock at Maumee Bay State Park that are the same. They will hang out in the middle of road and never seem to be in a hurry. You'd think a mink, coyote, or fox would make a meal of them but that does not appear to be the case.
That's awful close to Oregon Inn. Those turkeys should worry more about the special of the day and 250lb Eastsiders.

Did anyone else see the video of the Russian man killed by a tiger shark in the Red Sea. I was not looking for it and won't link it, but absolutely brutal and horrifying.

Don't F around with the ocean. Hip deep at the beach is the absolute furthest I'll go.

Did anyone else see the video of the Russian man killed by a tiger shark in the Red Sea. I was not looking for it and won't link it, but absolutely brutal and horrifying.

Don't F around with the ocean. Hip deep at the beach is the absolute furthest I'll go.
Hip deep is absolutely the most dangerous part of the sea. You might as well be a shrimp at the Golden Corral.

On the beach, running along the edge or at least 30 feet or deeper. And even then, I try always to have someone close by that looks more like a crippled tuna.

Last edited:

Wow... Hip deep will save ya? S m h Yes, you can die from sharks attacking. But what are the statistics? The Ocean is a beautiful place. I'll take my chances.