Best Ohio wrestler to never win a state title?

Ron Troyan, Rich Geiglan, Ken Wolbers, (Rich, Dave, or something) Hansen, Ed Poling, and probably others were all state qualifier from Loveland in the late 70s or early 80s if memory serves. Apologies for the butchered spellings. I think Troyan (Hwt) and Hansen (145) won state titles in 1978 and 1979, respectively. I remember Cris Coffing's (then Fairfield) and Hansen's finals match at the UC Invitational. Coffin hit a stunning takedown to back move for the pin. (It may have been a lateral drop.) I believe that Hanson avenged that loss in a post-season all-star meet. I think Coffing was the AAA 145 pound state champ and Hanson was the AA 145 state champ that year. Both were studs.

This is all from an aged memory so take it with a grain of salt.
Fairfield loves those lateral/ pancakes.

Greg Quinn may not be the best but has to be close to the conversation. Made the finals twice taking losses to 4x Demilio and 3x Hoskins!

Greg Quinn may not be the best but has to be close to the conversation. Made the finals twice taking losses to 4x Demilio and 3x Hoskins!
This suggests perhaps another interesting topic. Who was the most hard-luck Ohio wrestler in the sense that they were often barred from winning by legendary wrestlers?. One that comes to my mind is Ryan Fields from Lakota West. I think he was second his freshman year to four-timer Tony Jameson, second his sophomore year to four-timer Colin Palmer, second his junior year to Brad Squire. I don't think he made the finals his senior year and can't recall who was in his weight class.

This suggests perhaps another interesting topic. Who was the most hard-luck Ohio wrestler in the sense that they were often barred from winning by legendary wrestlers?. One that comes to my mind is Ryan Fields from Lakota West. I think he was second his freshman year to four-timer Tony Jameson, second his sophomore year to four-timer Colin Palmer, second his junior year to Brad Squire. I don't think he made the finals his senior year and can't recall who was in his weight class.
I mean Tariq wilson fits both categories. Being the wrestler he was while losing to Eli Stickley, Tyler Warner and Mitch Moore. Also Ben Pasiuk was a 3x 2nd i believe losing to Mitch twice and Venia as a frosh? And Covid year taking his senior year.

I mean Tariq wilson fits both categories. Being the wrestler he was while losing to Eli Stickley, Tyler Warner and Mitch Moore. Also Ben Pasiuk was a 3x 2nd i believe losing to Mitch twice and Venia as a frosh? And Covid year taking his senior year.
Ben Pasiuk won a state championship his seior year in 2019 beating Ethan Hernandez 6-2, I believe

Last edited:
I like the Greg Quinn pick and Connor Brady, although I'm biased with both...They each had some huge wins in their HS careers (Quinn beating Jaden Mattox, Graham Shore & Drew Mattin while Brady won Ironman w/o giving up a point & won S32, just to name a few) and while both had success at State, neither were Champs...

Last edited:
Jason Fenos of North Royalton was a really good wrestler who came up short at State. I believe he couldn't get past a kid named Vincent Gay and finished 3rd a few times.

I'll go with Tariq considering the career he went on to have based on that. There's so many! Brady is definitely another. That place, just like wherever NCAA is, just treats everyone definitely. How bout best to never place? My answer is hands down Logan Hoskins from Butler. 4x SQ, junior year beat 2 state champions (shore and turner) as a junior, won Coach's Classic, GMVWA Holiday, districts as senior, and IMO would have given Shawver all he wanted if he made it that far, or if there was a tournament for that matter ?

Fields wrestled 130 his senior year and finished 4th. Nick Sulzer was 3rd, B. Squire was 2nd and Seth Horner was 1st.

Never really understood the hype. Very good wrestler, just never understood the pedestal he was put on.
Yea I can maybe somewhat agree. He was talked up to be one of the greatest to ever come out of Ohio even by Brakeman. He had a lot of notable wins throughout his career though. I believe he was an Ironman champ or at least a finalist. I think he may have also had a Fargo title. 4x state placer, runner-up to Colt Sponseller. 4x All American in D2 at Notre Dame, D2 National Champion.

Last edited:
Yea I can maybe somewhat agree. He was talked up to be one of the greatest to ever come out of Ohio even by Brakeman. He had a lot of notable wins throughout his career though. I believe he was an Ironman champ or at least a finalist. I think he may have also had a Fargo title. 4x state placer, runner-up to Colt Sponseller. 4x All American in D2 at Notre Dame, D2 National Champion.
I don’t think Rohler ever was an AA at NDC…

I dont believe he was any of those things at ND. I don't even think he graduated from there or finished more than 1 season of wrestling. I don't want this to turn into a Rohler bashing, because I have nothing against him at all in any way. I am just clarifying that I do not believe you are correct about his college accolades.

Last edited:
I dont believe he was any of those things at ND. I don't even think he graduated from there or finished more than 1 season of wrestling. I don't want this to turn into a Rohler bashing, because I have nothing against him at all in any way. I am just clarifying that I do not believe you are correct about his college accolades.
After digging through past D2 brackets, you're right. Article posted back in 2014 was a flat out lie I guess lol

Kyle Mayse Marion Harding mid to late 80s. Went to Ohio University then finished his career in Findlay if I remember correctly. Last I heard he was coaching in California

Ben Pasiuk won it his senior year