Nate GregorySt Edward
Ryan FosterRoss (Hamilton)
Max KayePiqua
Alex BoskeHoover
Nico TraczykMayfield
Giovanni CursioLake (Uniontown)
Peyton BeaversAmanda-Clearcreek

Welcome to Ohio high school wrestling
Personal story: I went to college in VA, and wrestling alum get together at NCAAs every year. some years ago, one of the guy's sons was a successful coach in VA, perhaps even had a state championship team. Note that in VA, the divisions follow football for all sports, so there are SIX divisions even for wrestling. After quite a bit of hearing the accolades of the team and certain outstanding individuals, I perused the Intermat national rankings to find: there were more nationally ranked wrestlers in my son's weight class in OH (4), than there were in ALL weights combined in VA (I think 1 or 2).

Welcome to Ohio wrestling, indeed.

Brayton FeisterArchbishop Hoban
Josh JordanLake (Uniontown)
Nate GregorySt Edward
Max KayePiqua
Alex BoskeHoover
Nico TraczykMayfield
By your rankings you have to have Marsel S on here, I believe you guys had him as high as #2 pretty late in the season

Brayton FeisterArchbishop Hoban
Josh JordanLake (Uniontown)
Nate GregorySt Edward
Max KayePiqua
Alex BoskeHoover
Nico TraczykMayfield
Feister was an injury. It's not like he wrestled and lost. If he would have wrestled there was no way he wasn't making it out. Not sure if that applies to any of the others on the list.

If you are anywhere near good,near great you have more than a fair shot at making it to state.This is getting comical.
I agree with the spirit of your post. Not sure when to put my finger on it but there has been a gradual decrease in the difficulty of being a SQ. Depending on the division and the district this can vary greatly year to year, but a gradual decrease over the years none the less. This is just my opinion/observation.

I agree with the spirit of your post. Not sure when to put my finger on it but there has been a gradual decrease in the difficulty of being a SQ. Depending on the division and the district this can vary greatly year to year, but a gradual decrease over the years none the less. This is just my opinion/observation.
Coaches picking sectionals/districts might impact that view, but I would argue seeing less good guys stay home because the right ones are going doesn't make the one that qualified any less of an accomplishment.

Coaches picking sectionals/districts might impact that view, but I would argue seeing less good guys stay home because the right ones are going doesn't make the one that qualified any less of an accomplishment.
That is a more positive way to look at it. Less good guys are staying home. I think we're both correct.

I think that for NE D1, the "draft" process this year did help to smooth things out between districts.

Residually with more parity between the sectional tournaments, it also helps reduce the amount of stilted district brackets.

That being said, there is a clear have vs. have not issue across sports, which is creating a clearer gap b/n the state level kid and the next level kid.

Nate Gregory had to be the choice!! Not only cause he’s a great wrestler but he’s probably the only one who didn’t make it from his whole team!!!

My vote is to Josh Jordan from Lake. He was ranked high all year and beat several other state qualifiers.
Agreed, beat Peterson at Sectionals and came in ranked #4 or #5 in Boro's predictions.

Also have to say Nate Gregory from St. Ed. District Champ and 1-2 at State last year. Lost the match to-go via pin by the kid he pinned in the sectional finals the week prior.

Of those that actually competed at the district tournament, I would say Gregory (St. Edward) was the best wrestler displaced from the state tournament. Powerade and DocB placer.
What makes it crazier, is that Gregory pinned Miller (ULA) at Sectional, but then Miller pinned him in consi semis at District.

If you are anywhere near good,near great you have more than a fair shot at making it to state.This is getting comical.
Not true. Many "near good" wrestlers didn't make it (yes they had a shot). The point is other state placers/champs come here and don't even qualify. So I'd say in Ohio 99% of the state qualifiers are great wrestlers.

I'd say in Ohio 99% of the state qualifiers are great wrestlers.
I guess we definitely have different opinions of what "great wrestlers" are. I'd say there are probably just over a dozen "great" wrestlers in Columbus this weekend (maybe 15-16). Then we have a few elite wrestlers such as Joy and Birden AND a few more I haven't mentioned.

Reactions: ID7
I guess we definitely have different opinions of what "great wrestlers" are. I'd say there are probably just over a dozen "great" wrestlers in Columbus this weekend (maybe 15-16). Then we have a few elite wrestlers such as Joy and Birden AND a few more I haven't mentioned.
Yes its certainly a subjective topic. I'm thinking great as within the state of Ohio because its the OHSAA tourney. Now if I start to think nationally or worlds then yes that certainly limits the great wrestler numbers. Blaze and the names we've seen around Fargo/Super 32/IronMan of course those guys placing there are great wrestlers...but not compared to David Taylor. Haha

I'd say that's pretty ignorant statement. True, They all have a fair shot. But I think 4 out of 7 alternates that got in placed so the gap between those kids who don't make it those who do is smaller than people expect. Depending on the weight class and district it could easily have 5 or 6 incredibly tough kids...