Best Coach in the Dayton Area

I would agree both have had talent. I think the difference is Petro has made it to Columbus a time or two even without the best talent. The year Alter lost to Lebron they were not the most talented team and almost shocked Lebron and company in the finals. I don't think we can say the same for Pullen yet, because every year they have gone to Columbus they have had the best talent, IMO. I would like to see what Pullen can do sometime when he doesn't have 5 D-I recruits or future NBA players on his team. Nothing against Pullen and not his fault, just the facts of the matter.

i'm with you on this one. petrocelli is a wonderful coach. pullen has had a ton of talent come through that school.

We all knew D. Cook would go pro from his talent.
Not many on here thought Norris would.
07-08 season he had only one player that went on to play D1 college ball in Josh Benson but still went 20-3 and got upset by CJ that year
08-09 won 16 games with a young basketball team.
So them two years prove that he can coach without all the talent....

07-08 season he had only one player that went on to play D1 college ball in Josh Benson but still went 20-3 and got upset by CJ that year

Right... you just made my point. See my previous post.

them two years? Also, do you realize how special it is to have a D1 player? I think the fact that Coach Pullen having only one Division one player in a season being an anomaly proves the point here. He is more like an NBA coach who "encourages" players to come play for him and manages the personalities and egos on his team.

Have no clue how one compares coaches.
Coaches Pullen and Petrocelli work in polar opposite situations. There could not be a bigger difference.
Each situation in schools brings different challenges on and off the court. Sometimes the off the court can be bigger issues. Nobody can debate Petro's career and now nobody can debate Pullen's. They are both HOF coaches. Easy to look at Dunbar and say great talent. Many talented groups never win it all. If you have watched Dunbar under Coach Pullen they execute his defensive system very well. They don't just run up and down the floor.
Both coaches adapt to their players at the offensive end.
Both Staleys are top notch as are Holtrey and Trice. You could put all these guys in different schools and they would excel. Their districts are lucky to have them.

them two years? Also, do you realize how special it is to have a D1 player? I think the fact that Coach Pullen having only one Division one player in a season being an anomaly proves the point here. He is more like an NBA coach who "encourages" players to come play for him and manages the personalities and egos on his team.

Your comment about how special a D1 college player is, got me thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears Ohio sends about 30-50 HS Seniors per year to D1 college scholarships. Out of about 800 High Schools. Do the math...only about 5% of Ohio's HS basketball teams have a D1 player (as a Senior) per year. Dunbar had three of them this year, plus probably more underclassmen that will go D1 later (Harris, Geter, others?). To be fair, Alter has had similar talent wealth in the past, too. Again, coaching+talent is the best formula for a championship (throw in some luck, too). Pullen and Petro? Both HOF coaches, as most everyone agrees.

There is no denying that Dunbar has had a wealth of talent since Coach Pullen started in 05. Its true when you say that he has to manage personalities and egos but every coach has to do that to some degree. The one point I would like to make is talent or no talent Pullen and his staff get the most out of there kids.

Pete Pullen. In high school? Pete Pullen.
Hoskins is a close second.Have to give it up. He is pretty good. I could see Hoskins becoming a helluva college coach. He can coach his tail off
Trice is cool, I think I like Staley as a coach more in high school. Trice to me is also college coach in training. Think he'd be really good on that level.

Pete Pullen. In high school? Pete Pullen.
Hoskins is a close second.Have to give it up. He is pretty good. I could see Hoskins becoming a helluva college coach. He can coach his tail off
Trice is cool, I think I like Staley as a coach more in high school. Trice to me is also college coach in training. Think he'd be really good on that level.

You listed two coaches that you call college coaching material. Not sure what level you are talking about but there are many, many more HS coaches in Dayton that could coach small college ball. If you are talking D1 I think you are really underestimating the caliber of coach at that level.

What is it that makes people think "College" coaches are superior? X and O's? Ability to teach?

Honestly some of the small college programs I have been around are not all that different than a big D1 HS. There are definitely differences but quite a few of the top Dayton HS coaches could coach at that level. That is why I asked for the clarification. Mid-major and up, those guys are CEO's and absolute experts in their craft. I don't see anyone coaching Dayton HS bball today that fits that profile.

I agree both are outstanding coaches, but in the short period of time Pullen has done what Petro has done in his 30+ years. Petro has been to the Big House 8 times and has won it all 4 times, while Pullen has been to the Big House 5 times and has won it 4 times. Head to head it's been all Pullen (3-0) I know some has said he had the talent so has Northland over the last few years but only one championship. So talent does not always win. You have to coach that talent to get them to play together as a team. We always say so in so can coach but so in so wins because he has talent. Uncoached talent goes home.

College label is just that. Doesn't mean better. SW Ohio has many coaches at HS level every bit as good as the "college coaches"

Pullen a great coach? Sure he wins, we all know how Dunbar is doing it.

How many recruits is Cook sending gifts to? How many recruits are they picking up at their grade school and having practice with the high school team.

Kids like Geron, Mark Anderson, Haley, Brown (father and son), Pogue, define your program. Win at all costs, go after grade school kids at all costs. Pullen doesn't win because of coaching, he has had more talent at that school than all the dayton schools combined. Only problem is the other schools make their kids stay out of court rooms, go to class, and play defense. The last being the reason Cook is bouncing around the league instead of beign a 6th man like his offensive ability should get him.

How many recruits is Cook sending gifts to? How many recruits are they picking up at their grade school and having practice with the high school team.

Kids like Geron, Mark Anderson, Haley, Brown (father and son), Pogue, define your program. Win at all costs, go after grade school kids at all costs. Pullen doesn't win because of coaching, he has had more talent at that school than all the dayton schools combined. Only problem is the other schools make their kids stay out of court rooms, go to class, and play defense. The last being the reason Cook is bouncing around the league instead of beign a 6th man like his offensive ability should get him.

The same amount of gifts Derrick Brown is sending CJ. lol

Aaron Pogue CSU graduate
Richard Brown Nevada graduate
Geron Johnson Junior college graduate headed to Memphis
Darren Powell Lane University graduate
Deon Stewart Junior college graduate
Norris Cole CSU graduate
Josh Benson UD
Harvey Stewart Urbana
Ryan Bass Oakland University
RJ Williamson Michigan State
John Myrick Holy Cross graduate
Alfred Tolminson Bowling Green graduate
Mike Haley Wright State
Renaldo O'neal Wright State graduate
Mark Anderson Sinclair
Gary Akbar CSU
Andre Yates Creighton
Deontae Hawkins Wichta State
D'Gary Wallace Urbana
Dan Wilkinson OSU
Na'Shun Goddard South Carolina graduate
Donavonne Brown Georgetown College graduate
DaeQuan Cook OSU
Steve White Texas Southern
Marcus Wright Texas Southern graduate
Chris Nelloms OSU
Mark Baker OSU
Tim Martin OSU graduate
Derrick Moss Central State graduate
Brandon Beason Cincinnati graduate
John Williams Kentucky graduate
James Lacking Urbana graduate
Kirt Taylor Michigan graduate
Ryan Williams Morehead State graduate
Antonio Blanks OSU

Do we need to name more Faces of Dunbar ?????

Last edited:

The statement by Legendary Coach says a lot only haters will look at the negatively. Geron still has a chance, Anderson did what he did why arent you on Sinclair coach for not making him get his grades to go to Miami who used who. The only Brown Pullen coached was the son and he was a bust off the court, but with his father on the staff wouldnt you try to help him. Pogue is a college grad so what's your problem with him. Father Brown Pullen did not coach, but he is a great coach but must handle his personal life, like his son. That apple does not fall far. As far as Cook, you tell me which team drafted him for his defense OSU, Miami or Okl. also is he getting paid for what ever he is doing in the pros. Odom was the #1 pick where is he.

Now as far as Pullen is concerned he has out coached all DPS schools since his arrival in Dayton 14 yrs. ago and only 3 losses including undefeated as Dunbar's girls coach (6 yrs,) in the league. 2 losses with the boys in 2008-09 in league but still was Tri-Champ, and a tournament lost to Thurgood last year. Thats all the league title in both girls and boys if that was any one else, especially the Staley's or Petro he would be a great coach. 25 losses in 8 years you do the math and I don't care what talent you have. D1 players what team doesn't have one. Wayne had two but Trice is still a great coach. Miami Heat had more talent than the Houston Rockets but who was out coached.

The statement by Legendary Coach says a lot only haters will look at the negatively. Geron still has a chance, Anderson did what he did why arent you on Sinclair coach for not making him get his grades to go to Miami who used who. The only Brown Pullen coached was the son and he was a bust off the court, but with his father on the staff wouldnt you try to help him. Pogue is a college grad so what's your problem with him. Father Brown Pullen did not coach, but he is a great coach but must handle his personal life, like his son. That apple does not fall far. As far as Cook, you tell me which team drafted him for his defense OSU, Miami or Okl. also is he getting paid for what ever he is doing in the pros. Odom was the #1 pick where is he.

Now as far as Pullen is concerned he has out coached all DPS schools since his arrival in Dayton 14 yrs. ago and only 3 losses including undefeated as Dunbar's girls coach (6 yrs,) in the league. 2 losses with the boys in 2008-09 in league but still was Tri-Champ, and a tournament lost to Thurgood last year. Thats all the league title in both girls and boys if that was any one else, especially the Staley's or Petro he would be a great coach. 25 losses in 8 years you do the math and I don't care what talent you have. D1 players what team doesn't have one. Wayne had two but Trice is still a great coach. Miami Heat had more talent than the Houston Rockets but who was out coached.

Most high school teams do not have a D-I college player on them each year let alone multiple D-I college players. It is not that common to have a D-I college player.

Ive been a follower of yappi for years, but this is my first OFFICIAL post, so go easy on me. That being said, I'm not sure if I'm sold on Pullen being a great coach. He definitely has had greater talent than any other coach in the area. No one other than Staley (CJ) has any players in the NBA right now and Pullen has 2, and has had numerous more D1 players than any other coach around. No one that I'm aware of started 3 D1 players this year, and had 2 future D1 players as their other starters. Anyone can win with talent, but if someone else had this much talent, would they be just as successful?

Houston Rockets? :Ohno:

First let me say Pogue graduates in May and we all are very proud of him. Ballgame75, why are you so angry buddy? Seriously what has Dunbar done to you that you feel a need to bad mouth there program every chance you get.

Ive been a follower of yappi for years, but this is my first OFFICIAL post, so go easy on me. That being said, I'm not sure if I'm sold on Pullen being a great coach. He definitely has had greater talent than any other coach in the area. No one other than Staley (CJ) has any players in the NBA right now and Pullen has 2, and has had numerous more D1 players than any other coach around. No one that I'm aware of started 3 D1 players this year, and had 2 future D1 players as their other starters. Anyone can win with talent, but if someone else had this much talent, would they be just as successful?

NO. Please see Columbus Northland

John336, this is a DAYTON-area based coaching thread, so no I won't see them. I was saying that Pullen is a good coach but what I find hard to believe is that people think he is the only coach who would have won state titles with these teams. I remember watching Benson his senior year thinking they would win then but they were upset without even reaching the Districts.

John336, this is a DAYTON-area based coaching thread, so no I won't see them. I was saying that Pullen is a good coach but what I find hard to believe is that people think he is the only coach who would have won state titles with these teams. I remember watching Benson his senior year thinking they would win then but they were upset without even reaching the Districts.

I hear you, my point is having a great deal of talent means nothing it takes alot more than that to win a State Title. In regards to how many titles other good coaches would have won with those same teams is purely hypothetical. We all know upsets happen, but five Final Four appearances and four state titles since 05' is a high bar for any coach in my opinion.

So Dunbar wins on pure talent and Pullen recruits? I attended Dunbar (1988 grad) and as i remember Haley never had to recruit anyone. Same as Pullen. Success and championships recruit for us. Kids want to be a part of that. Add in the fact that west Dayton has a wealth of good /great basketball players and you see why Dunbar has the success it has. If you're coaching at Dunbar and can't put a good team together, you should move on to Belmont, Ponitz, or Stivers where the bar us much lower. Our kids are winning because they put in the work to be champions! Success breeds jealousy and envy, but we don't care. We will keep on doin g what we do ( winning championships) and the sore losers will continue to come on here and whine about us. If some of the comments on here are a reflection of the person that posted it, i see why your school keeps coming up short in the end. Don't let Dunbar's success eat at you forever

Trotwood dad, don't get me wrong, I like watching any Dayton team succeed, I was simply asking if there is another coach in the Dayton area who could have won just as many rings (if not the extra one Benson's senior year). The only name I can think of is Petro, who is a proven winner. I also believe Staley could win his fair share (gone twice) if he had this Dunbar squad. No one else really comes to mind. Those would be my Top 3 coaches

Most high school teams do not have a D-I college player on them each year let alone multiple D-I college players. It is not that common to have a D-I college player.
Not really true....it depends on the location for example its very common to have two or more D 1 players on a team in cities & states like....Chicago, Il, Houston & Dallas, TX, FL, CA, NY, ATL GA, NO LA, just to name a few.....But you're correct its not as common in Ohio, Ky & IN.

The same amount of gifts Derrick Brown is sending CJ. lol

Aaron Pogue CSU graduate
Richard Brown Nevada graduate
Geron Johnson Junior college graduate headed to Memphis
Darren Powell Lane University graduate
Deon Stewart Junior college graduate
Norris Cole CSU graduate
Josh Benson UD
Harvey Stewart Urbana
Ryan Bass Oakland University
RJ Williamson Michigan State
John Myrick Holy Cross graduate
Alfred Tolminson Bowling Green graduate
Mike Haley Wright State
Renaldo O'neal Wright State graduate
Mark Anderson Sinclair
Gary Akbar CSU
Andre Yates Creighton
Deontae Hawkins Wichta State
D'Gary Wallace Urbana
Dan Wilkinson OSU
Na'Shun Goddard South Carolina graduate
Donavonne Brown Georgetown College graduate
DaeQuan Cook OSU
Steve White Texas Southern
Marcus Wright Texas Southern graduate
Chris Nelloms OSU
Mark Baker OSU
Tim Martin OSU graduate
Derrick Moss Central State graduate
Brandon Beason Cincinnati graduate
John Williams Kentucky graduate
James Lacking Urbana graduate
Kirt Taylor Michigan graduate
Ryan Williams Morehead State graduate
Antonio Blanks OSU

Do we need to name more Faces of Dunbar ?????
THANK YOU, haterism is a sad disease....ballgame75 got it bad!:thumb: