Best Coach in the Dayton Area

Ballgame was just pointing out the fact that some of Dunbar's previous players had/have some trouble with the law. I have to agree with him on that point, if a player has problems with the police, no matter how talented they are, there is no place for them on any team

Ballgame was just pointing out the fact that some of Dunbar's previous players had/have some trouble with the law. I have to agree with him on that point, if a player has problems with the police, no matter how talented they are, there is no place for them on any team

So now Dunbar is responsible for their behavior AFTER they have graduated? Only two players that he listed got into trouble while they were attending Dunbar(Keontae Brown,Geron Johnson). Geron was not allowed to play at all the season that he got into trouble. As for Brown, there's always gonna be kids like him that show up at all schools, talented but troubled. I believe that his father being on the coaching staff afforded him more chances than he should have got. In the end he's still a kid and you don't want to just kick him to the curb. We are a family at Dunbar and we love and care for ours, flaws and all. Not that we condone it, we just don't throw ours away to the streets.

Please don't pee on a person and tell them its rain, Ballgame loves peeing on inner city schools especially Dunbar.

Not really true....it depends on the location for example its very common to have two or more D 1 players on a team in cities & states like....Chicago, Il, Houston & Dallas, TX, FL, CA, NY, ATL GA, NO LA, just to name a few.....But you're correct its not as common in Ohio, Ky & IN.

There are probably at most 1500 kids each year who sign D-I college basketball scholarships. There are 800 high school basketball teams in Ohio alone... let alone the entire country. Again, most teams do not have a D-I college basketball player on them.

Ive been a follower of yappi for years, but this is my first OFFICIAL post, so go easy on me. That being said, I'm not sure if I'm sold on Pullen being a great coach. He definitely has had greater talent than any other coach in the area. No one other than Staley (CJ) has any players in the NBA right now and Pullen has 2, and has had numerous more D1 players than any other coach around. No one that I'm aware of started 3 D1 players this year, and had 2 future D1 players as their other starters. Anyone can win with talent, but if someone else had this much talent, would they be just as successful?

Don't forget Chris Wright (Trotwood Madison grad) is playing for Golden State in the NBA this year. He had 25 points (11-14 fg), 8 rebounds and a couple blocks last night against the Spurs. From all reports, Chris is an all-around 1st-class person. Anyway, I'm not sure who coached Chris at TM and whether or not he is still coaching in the Dayton area...

WOW, can't believe I forgot Chris :wallbang: I remember watching him up at State and even though they lost to Canton McKinley, he played great. Completely agree with you about him being a first class person. Dayton needs more players like him

Dunbar's coach by far recently is the best, thurgoods coach is up and coming. I like CJ's and KA's coach too! Trice is nice too and Meadowdales coach is funny but can coach. I seen a high school team in columbus play dunbar, meadowdale, and huber heights. Dayton has the b-ball players and coaching is good there too, but people, quit playing Columbus weak with there atheletes and coaches please. Dunbar should be playing DI, especially with the tradition factor coming into play and see if they could of beat Pick Central. A good coaching match-up there! I wouldn't mind seeing a dayton-ohio matchups. A good game last season was Eastmoor Academy vs Huber Heights Wayne. I would love to see Africentric vs Dayton Jefferson. Northland vs Dunbar(N-land beat them in the summer time at dunbar). Meadowdale vs Brookhaven, Newark vs Centerville, Hartley vs Kettering Alter! See whats really going on in the state.

Dunbar's coach by far recently is the best, thurgoods coach is up and coming. I like CJ's and KA's coach too! Trice is nice too and Meadowdales coach is funny but can coach. I seen a high school team in columbus play dunbar, meadowdale, and huber heights. Dayton has the b-ball players and coaching is good there too, but people, quit playing Columbus weak with there atheletes and coaches please. Dunbar should be playing DI, especially with the tradition factor coming into play and see if they could of beat Pick Central. A good coaching match-up there! I wouldn't mind seeing a dayton-ohio matchups. A good game last season was Eastmoor Academy vs Huber Heights Wayne. I would love to see Africentric vs Dayton Jefferson. Northland vs Dunbar(N-land beat them in the summer time at dunbar). Meadowdale vs Brookhaven, Newark vs Centerville, Hartley vs Kettering Alter! See whats really going on in the state.

The only team that has ventured out to play any of those teams is Dunbar.

Since the majority of the threaders think Pullen can't coach lets just say this. He's a winner over his eight years coaching boy's who in this area who has a better record. Not counting titles because he has talent. Threader's other than Cook who thought Cole would be a pro. Was Geron Johnson, Akbar and Hawkins D1 prospect when they enter high school the answer is no. Josh Benson did not start at Fairview Middle. They all were developed under Pullen's system which gave them the opportunities they took advantage of. Not a good coach just a winner.:clap: John Wooten had talent and won titles but he was a good coach. Red had talent but he was a great coach at the Celtics. Pullen wins because he has talent
but not a good coach.:confused:

I am not familiar with John Wooten, who did he coach for?

He played guard for the Cleveland Browns years ago. I actually saw him play basketball against the Little Mickey's at Stebbins High School about 50 years ago. Not sure that he ever coached though.

[By the way, it's considered impolite to point out typos and spelling errors. You know who he meant.]

arguably dayton has produced more d1 players than any other city in ohio, my question is, with all of that talent why are there so few d1 state champions or even final four teams? why can't tbese great dayton coaches get there and then win?

arguably dayton has produced more d1 players than any other city in ohio, my question is, with all of that talent why are there so few d1 state champions or even final four teams? why can't tbese great dayton coaches get there and then win?[/QUOTE

Yes, Dayton has produced some D1 college players, but I'm not convinced that they have more than any other city in Ohio. As far as D1 HS champs, the Dayton-area's success comes more from the D2 powers (Dunbar, Thurgood Marshall, Alter, etc.) than D1 (Wayne, Trotwood Madison, Centerville, etc) for some reason. Also, many of those D1 college players are coming out of those same Dayton D2 programs...just this year has Dunbar's Yates, Akbar, Hawkins; CJ's Staley; Thurgood Marshall's Thomasson; Franklin's Rossi brothers. How many D1 college players from a Dayton area D1 High School this year? The next couple years, might be more of the same: Geter and Harris (Dunbar), Simmons (Alter), Bibbs (CJ) & Kennard (Franklin). I think the last several years would also show the same.

Fisher Man The players he named all was in College besides little Brown when they got in trouble.... But if you going to name the faces of Dunbar you cant leave my list out either.

All I'm saying is that you can tell this site is bias for cincy, dayton and I am not tripping because like I said these cities have talent and coaches. Dunbar gets props, they have played Columbus schools. Beat up Eastmoor Academy in the regionals. Speaking of Eastmoor Academy, they played Dunbar, Wayne, and Meadowdale. They will play all comers with first year coach Jim Miranda. Broaden this question more, Who are the top coaches from cincy, dayton, and columbus? I don't know names but my top 10 would go like this:
1. Pete Pullen-Dunbar
2. Cin Moeller
3. Jerry Francis-Pick Central
4. Thurgood Marshall
5. Cin Princeton
6. Jim Miranda-Eastmoor Academy
7. Kettering Alter
8. Tom Pettey-Bloom Carroll
9. Cin Taft
10. Robinson-Brookhaven

I would still have Pullen 1 followed by Moeller,Lasalle and the coach from Hiland and Jefferson seems like those teams are around late every year. Petro is a legend in OHSAA and sticks to his old school ways of playing and usually wins a tons of games. Andrews from Middletown is a up and coming coach as well as Travis Trice. I think Cupps will do well at Centerville if the kids buy into what he is teaching them. Desales seems like they tend to do well yearly also

Panther, I was not poking fun. I didn't even consider you meant John Wooden. My mind was only on high school coaches from the dayton area and I was trying to figure out what coach had won that many titles from around here. my apologies

Troy coach Tim Miller doesn't belong on the mount rushmore of coaches, but he always gets the most out of his kids. His teams will more often than not, be out sized, out talented, and takes on the Big boys and gives them a game. Two straight District Finals. This year, losing arguably their best player, and then losing about 3 or 4 other key players due to suspension. Not to mention had a 6'4 guard playing Center most of the year. I judge a coach by not so much the wins, or titles they get, but how much they get out of each kid. If you maximize their talent, and keep them motivated, you are a heck of a coach.

I am not buying the excuse that he had suspended players. A good coach should have control over his team. I was watching Thurgood play Taft in the tournament and I heard several Marshall fans claim that they haven't played with a full team all year. My only question is, how can a coach be one of the best coaches in the area if they can't keep their players from getting thrown out of games and suspended?

I am not buying the excuse that he had suspended players. A good coach should have control over his team. I was watching Thurgood play Taft in the tournament and I heard several Marshall fans claim that they haven't played with a full team all year. My only question is, how can a coach be one of the best coaches in the area if they can't keep their players from getting thrown out of games and suspended?

First of all, you dont even know the situation, so don't act like you do. It had nothing to do with on the court, it was a personal matter that should not be discussed on yappi, and the coach had absolutely no control over the matter. So, is Doc Rivers a bad coach, is Mike Brown? A coach's job is to coach, motivate, and execute the game plan, not to babysit every move a kid makes. Your argument is completely bogus, and completely ignorant.

My comment was more directed toward the Thurgood coach, Hoskins. I never saw Troy play so I didn't know their issues were off the court. My apologies. My post was far from ignorant, though. A good coach has control over his team ON the court, and most good coaches have control of them OFF the court. My HS coach would have whooped my butt if I ever got into any trouble at school or with the law. (Again, I'm not saying this was what Troy's problem was)

Don't forget Chris Wright (Trotwood Madison grad) is playing for Golden State in the NBA this year. He had 25 points (11-14 fg), 8 rebounds and a couple blocks last night against the Spurs. From all reports, Chris is an all-around 1st-class person. Anyway, I'm not sure who coached Chris at TM and whether or not he is still coaching in the Dayton area...

Ike Thornton coached Chris Wright his junior year, the year they were state runner-up. Unfortunately, he retired and moved to Texas at the end of that year. Larry Ham (former Springfield South coach) was the Trotwood coach the next year- they returned to the regional final but couldn't get back to the final four. It would be nice if Coach Thornton came back to Dayton...the dynamic of Dayton-area basketball would be a little different had he stayed....perhaps all those Trotwood players would not have transferred...

Ike Thornton coached Chris Wright his junior year, the year they were state runner-up. Unfortunately, he retired and moved to Texas at the end of that year. Larry Ham (former Springfield South coach) was the Trotwood coach the next year- they returned to the regional final but couldn't get back to the final four. It would be nice if Coach Thornton came back to Dayton...the dynamic of Dayton-area basketball would be a little different had he stayed....perhaps all those Trotwood players would not have transferred...

I totally forgot Ike Thornton. He was a tremendous HS basketball player, too.

I agree about Ike Thorton. Great coach. If he stayed, I believe Yates would not have transferred, making Trotwood a whole lot better, and Dunbar a whole lot easier to beat