Best basketball programs from schools that no longer exist

Lockland Wayne. Had a 31-2 record in 1949 and finished state runnerup to Delphos St. John's. Won Class B state title in 1952. Believed to be first state basketball championship won by an all-black school in any state. Won state championship again in 1955. Because of the social (racial) temperature at that time it was forced to play a number of larger schools to piece together a schedule. The school was opened in 1938 and closed in 1958. Joe Martin was both the principal and head basketball coach the entire time.
My Father played for Hanover (Twp,Butler Co.) he spoke highly of Lockland Wayne played them in the latter 40s I'd suppose in the tournament,became part of Princeton in 59 didn't they? And I thought I was old.

Dunbar?? It's still open..Roosevelt closed (2 titles, 1960, 1934) and Colonel White ( 1990) also closed/ merged. Good thing there's an annual February.
My understanding is that Col. White just changed names. They are now Thurgood Marshall. It's that correct? Who did they merge with?

Another one I'd include is Lorain Admiral King. If I recall, it may still be open as a grade school, but the high school portion shut down in the late 2000's. They had great teams for a long time!
Admiral King was leveled a few years ago and that is where they built the new Lorain High building. they switched the name 'Admiral King' to a new elemetary school that was built on the grounds of the original Lorain High Steelman building. King did have one of the best programs in the state during the 80s under Gillam, and made a few regional/state runs during the early/mid 90s after he left. he retired, came back then got caught up in the mergers and ended up coaching in elyria.

My understanding is that Col. White just changed names. They are now Thurgood Marshall. It's that correct? Who did they merge with?
Roth with a portion of Roosevelt that went to Roth when it closed mid 70s. Lot of very good hoop history on the West Bank of the great Miami through the years. Many stars and titles.

Actually it was Akron Central High School which later was merged with Akron Hower Vocational High School. Central was always the basketball power in the city. Hower just sort of rode the coat tails!
Another great Akron Central player I had the good fortune to see was Goose Davidson. The guy was a wizard with a basketball. My Dad, who always went to Columbus for the semi’s and the finals, used to rave about Lockland Wayne. He said when they hit the court, prior to the start of the game, they did a Harlem Globetrotter routine. He used to say, he never saw a team that could handle the ball, the way Lockland Wayne’s kids could.

I remember "Bubbles" Harris popping 30+ a game and Gary Diedrick with his 29 ppg and wristbands two-thirds of the way up his forearms. The 1979-80 team was Buckeye Conference and state runner-up.

Those were the days and, yes, I'm old.
Bubbles Harris just passed away a couple months ago. a true legend here in lorain. the 87-88 King team went undefeated until losing to columbus linden-mckinley in the state semis.

Another great Akron Central player I had the good fortune to see was Goose Davidson. The guy was a wizard with a basketball. My Dad, who always went to Columbus for the semi’s and the finals, used to rave about Lockland Wayne. He said when they hit the court, prior to the start of the game, they did a Harlem Globetrotter routine. He used to say, he never saw a team that could handle the ball, the way Lockland Wayne’s kids could.
Wondering what happened to all the Akron Central Wildcat and then Akron Central Hower Eagle trophies ???

Bubbles Harris just passed away a couple months ago. a true legend here in lorain. the 87-88 King team went undefeated until losing to columbus linden-mckinley in the state semis.
The old 16 team sectional/districts at Admiral King (AAA) and Elyria (AA) were absolute meatgrinders. So many great teams, coaches and players. We were blessed to see so much great basketball in Lorain County in the 1970s, 80s and 90s.

Is there any Information on Middlebranch High School in the Plain Local system way before Glenwood and Oakwood pre GlenOak days

I never saw "the Goose" play, but I always heard he was the best player from Akron before LeBron. (Some who saw him say better!) Either way, that's saying a lot.

Last edited:
Wondering what happened to all the Akron Central Wildcat and then Akron Central Hower Eagle trophies ???
Me too. I had a South High Letter, Pennant, and 1935 class ring. Called ASD and asked if they had a museum,for Central, South, West, and Hower trophies and memorabilia. I was going to donate to it. I was told there was nothing existing or planned for memorializing the histories of these closed schools. Too bad.

Me too. I had a South High Letter, Pennant, and 1935 class ring. Called ASD and asked if they had a museum,for Central, South, West, and Hower trophies and memorabilia. I was going to donate to it. I was told there was nothing existing or planned for memorializing the histories of these closed schools. Too bad.
That's terrible. No interest in the history of those former schools and students...

I could have sworn that Akron U kept the trophy case in the old Central Hower building. But it's been years since I've been in there, so who knows. But it may be worth contacting someone at UA to see if there is an interest in your items.

Roth with a portion of Roosevelt that went to Roth when it closed mid 70s. Lot of very good hoop history on the West Bank of the great Miami through the years. Many stars and titles.
So technically, Thurgood Marshall is Colonel White (follow), the decision had been made to close CW so the building was demolished in 08'. Roth, had also closed as a Junior High a few summers before. The building was vacant for a few years and finally demolished. DPS built a new high school building on the old Roth site that is now Thurgood Marshall. They moved the students from CW to the westside of Dayton into Thurgood. The school colors are purple for Roth and gold for Colonel White, they kept Cougars from CW as the nickname. I thought it should of been Pioneers in tribute to the honorable judge Thurgood Marshall whom was a pioneer being the first black supreme court justice.

I usually on pay attention to NW Ohio hoops teams but is Cleveland Cathedral Latin still open??

I remember watching them in high school at the State Tourney back in the 70's...Colin Irish went on to star at BGSU and they had a point guard named Bob Lowery who was a magician with the ball. Not sure I have ever seen anyone pass like he could.

I usually on pay attention to NW Ohio hoops teams but is Cleveland Cathedral Latin still open??

I remember watching them in high school at the State Tourney back in the 70's...Colin Irish went on to star at BGSU and they had a point guard named Bob Lowery who was a magician with the ball. Not sure I have ever seen anyone pass like he could.
It merged and is now NDCL; Notre Dame Cathedral Latin.

https://case.edu/ech/articles/c/cathedral-latin-school