Beat St X!!!

The officiating has been absolutely atrocious at every game I've been to this season. Some of these crews don't know basic rules..... like week 1 when I saw an illegal man downfield penalty on a run play.
I can’t speak to that, but in this case, there was a direct impact on the outcome of the game. X shouldn’t have been able to kick that FG in Regulation.

I agree the St X scoreboard operator f@cked Elder by stopping the clock and the head official completely missed it (just like the back-judge completely missed the defensive PI on the interception).

However, Elder has to stop X from getting into field goal range. If you are truly the better team, go prove it and make a stop.

Final drive in regulation by the Panthers was textbook and they should have scored with about 30 seconds left instead of the 40+ that was left leaving the door open for X. Love the confidence by Ramsey in the OL and Brass to get the 2 and the win. 1-0 in GCL. LaSalle gave Moeller all they could handle for 3+ quarters, so per usual, no easy ones in the GCL.
Well When Elder didn't get a first down the play before Elder scored in the 4th quarter the clock should have kept going and it did not. Elder scored on 3rd down. 10 to 20 seconds should have gone of the clock and Elder should have scored with about 20 seconds left.

Those refs should be embarrased by their performance. They were more bias than MSNBC.

Those refs should be embarrased by their performance. They were more bias than MSNBC.
They weren't embarrassed at all. When Elder complained to the sideline official, he went and talked to the head referee who simply shrugged his shoulders like "oh well, what's done is done."

Last edited:
Well When Elder didn't get a first down the play before Elder scored in the 4th quarter the clock should have kept going and it did not. Elder scored on 3rd down. 10 to 20 seconds should have gone of the clock and Elder should have scored with about 20 seconds left.

But the scoreboard operator is the one who stopped the clock with no signal from the referees to do so. He should be disciplined for his biased intentional act and never be allowed in that press box again. And please - no kumbya replies. It was intentional. Total bs from another X homie.

I agree the St X scoreboard operator f@cked Elder by stopping the clock and the head official completely missed it (just like the back-judge completely missed the defensive PI on the interception).

However, Elder has to stop X from getting into field goal range. If you are truly the better team, go prove it and make a stop.
That’s dumb, they should’ve been able to play softer cvg and force X to burn their TOs on completions in the middle of the field.

Here is the final

They weren't embarrassed at all. When Elder complained to the sideline official, he went and talked to the head referee who simply shrugged his shoulders like "oh well, what's done is done."
I've seen lots of similar behavior this year too.

But the scoreboard operator is the one who stopped the clock with no signal from the referees to do so. He should be disciplined for his biased intentional act and never be allowed in that press box again. And please - no kumbya replies. It was intentional. Total bs from another X homie.
He and the officials need to be reprimanded, but yeah, they guy running the scoreboard was a tard. He was frequently late to update down & distance.

Edit: wait does ReLoad run the scoreboard? And why would Elder’s GCL brother try to cheat? That’s not very brotherly.

Last edited:

I think they were more inept than biased. Still, not ok.

Wild game plans...Elder passed the ball more than they had all season and X passed the ball less than they had all season. Have to wonder what the future holds for Herbstreit at QB.
Steve Specht is the greatest coach in the history of football not named Saban or Belichick but sometimes he's just too smart.

He benched Herbstreit after a 3 and out to start the game before realizing he can run behind St. X's massive offensive line leading to a 7-0 advantage with Vollmer behind center. Then for some reason Specht decides to pull Vollmer and put Herbstreit back in the game with 2:39 to go in the first half, but X is unable to run out the clock. Elder gets the ball at their own 24 yard line with 0:36 seconds to go and is able to take a 10-7 lead at the half. Then with the game on the line late in the fourth, X returns to Herbstreit for the first time in the second half to move them into field goal position.

(St. Xavier didn't have a pass completion for first down until their final drive in regulation which began with 0:37.)

I’ll say one “controversial” call that went vs Elder, that was correct, was the PF on Uran. That was not smart at all. Elder was about to have X in 3rd & 20, deep in their own territory.

Someone help me out. I lost the feed just as X ran to the Elder 5 already up 21-17. Did Elder stop them there or force a turnover? Trying to piece together how the final 5 minutes played out.

Someone help me out. I lost the feed just as X ran to the Elder 5 already up 21-17. Did Elder stop them there or force a turnover? Trying to piece together how the final 5 minutes played out.
They held to a FG which X missed. Absolutely massive stand. X scores a TD, it’s game over.

He benched Herbstreit after a 3 and out to start the game before realizing he can run behind St. X's massive offensive line leading to a 7-0 advantage with Vollmer behind center. Then for some reason Specht decides to pull Vollmer and put Herbstreit back in the game with 2:39 to go in the first half, but X is unable to run out the clock. Elder gets the ball at their own 24 yard line with 0:36 seconds to go and is able to take a 10-7 lead at the half. Then with the game on the line late in the fourth, X returns to Herbstreit for the first time in the second half to move them into field goal position.
IMO he benched Herbstreit after last weeks loss to Moeller. The plan to get their biggest guys on the field and pound it at Elder on the ground was in the works all week long. It was not a sudden decision. X put Herbstreit in for obvious passing situations and went 'wildcat" the rest of the game.

I don't think it was a bad decision as X clearly has no confidence in the throwing QB and WR's.

IMO he benched Herbstreit after last weeks loss to Moeller. The plan to get their biggest guys on the field and pound it at Elder on the ground was in the works all week long. It was not a sudden decision. X put Herbstreit in for obvious passing situations and went 'wildcat" the rest of the game.

I don't think it was a bad decision as X clearly has no confidence in the throwing QB and WR's.
That thought crossed my mind, but if that really was the plan all along why would they waste the first drive on a 3 and out? Why not use Vollmer and the RBs to run the clock out with 2.5 minutes to go in the first half?

That thought crossed my mind, but if that really was the plan all along why would they waste the first drive on a 3 and out? Why not use Vollmer and the RBs to run the clock out with 2.5 minutes to go in the first half?
Well, I don't think they were intentionally "wasting" the first drive. Perhaps just trying to catch Elder off-guard by starting one way and then completely changing the offense on the next. Or their plan was to alternate between the two but they stuck with it because it worked.

X had 451 total yards and 382 on the ground. They averaged 6.8 yards per carry!!!

Well, I don't think they were intentionally "wasting" the first drive. Perhaps just trying to catch Elder off-guard by starting one way and then completely changing the offense on the next. Or their plan was to alternate between the two but they stuck with it because it worked.
I don't disagree with going to or sticking with the run. I just don't know why they didn't start the game with it. It brings up the old cliche if you two quarterbacks you have none. Oh well. Elder won and that's all that matters.

Those couple of play fakes Brass did to get the DBs to bite were things of beauty. It's just a shame the passes weren't completed.

Please watch the play again the ref on the X sideline waved to stop the clock and at no point did any of them wind it. The refs were horrible both ways, nothing more evident than the end of the first half. Worst non holding call and personal foul that directly led to the filed goal. Was a great game and congratulations on a hard fought win, but don’t blame the clock operator or call it a homer

Please watch the play again the ref on the X sideline waved to stop the clock and at no point did any of them wind it.
The ref on the X sideline did incorrectly wave his hands over his head to stop the clock, however, he then wound his right arm to signal for the clock to start running again. (Strange how St. X's clock operator only saw what benefitted the home team.) Honestly, not sure what the official was thinking in that situation since after Brass was tackled on second down every other official immediately signaled it was third down.

Any official on the field can stop the clock, only the referee in the offensive backfield can wind it to start again. Agree it was the wrong call, but was not the clock operators issue

Any official on the field can stop the clock, only the referee in the offensive backfield can wind it to start again. Agree it was the wrong call, but was not the clock operators issue
If you want to sit down and watch the game I’ll show you where Elder receivers on the same side of the field identified as both being on the line of scrimmage making the inside receiver ineligible, but went out for a pass. Don’t think it was a homer play, they were just bad at their job

Steve Specht is the greatest coach in the history of football not named Saban or Belichick but sometimes he's just too smart.

(St. Xavier didn't have a pass completion for first down until their final drive in regulation which began with 0:37.)
When you choose Name over Game you lose. Nice to see Elder go for two and get the W. Looking forward to next week. GBM 💪 🏈

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but Ramsey said in his pre game that their punter was out last night. That's the freshman Estep. He will be out for the JV game today too. Good thing for Elder they have other options at punter.

If you want to sit down and watch the game I’ll show you where Elder receivers on the same side of the field identified as both being on the line of scrimmage making the inside receiver ineligible, but went out for a pass. Don’t think it was a homer play, they were just bad at their job
This happens every week

The problem is the relaxing of rules we've seen the past 10 or so years.

You will see on every play where the "off" WR is actually closer to the line of scrimmage than the OT. This is every single play on every team. That simply cannot be. The rules are specific and most "off" WR are actually on the LOS. You do have some OT that are way in the backfield, but again that's ok.

Relaxing the rules has led to confused coaches and players, sloppier play, and officiating conflicts.

Elder JV has tied it against X JV 7-7 on an interception for TD by Jared Lammers.

QB today has been a combination of Baker and the freshman Andriacco.

X JV beats Elder JV 14-7. Good game. Elder's JV team looked pretty good. This was a big turn around from last year freshman losing 35-0 to X freshman.