Battle of Pickerington - OCC

OMG, 17 penalties? That is inexcusable and a severe indictment of the coaching staff. Were they mostly pre-snap penalties? I know the big O linemen are a bit slow and tend to reach and grab quicker defenders. That can eventually be cleaned up. With four new starters on the o-line, I expected growing pains. Hopefully, they weren't the 'meathead' kind of late hits or unsportsmanlike penalties...
Most of the penalties were pre snap. False starts, encroachment. We had a few holding calls. 2 BS unsportsmanlike penalties. All things that can be cleaned up.

OMG, 17 penalties? That is inexcusable and a severe indictment of the coaching staff. Were they mostly pre-snap penalties? I know the big O linemen are a bit slow and tend to reach and grab quicker defenders. That can eventually be cleaned up. With four new starters on the o-line, I expected growing pains. Hopefully, they weren't the 'meathead' kind of late hits or unsportsmanlike penalties...

That's horrible, what's going on at PC.

North has better skill position players, better o-line, and better special teams.
Central has better QB, way more depth on defense (stronger LB play especially), athletic secondary (but you can tell they're still learning on the fly...)
Coaching?? In years past, Sharrett was head-and-shoulders better. Now we'll have to wait and see. North has not had their "WTF" game yet, so that could come at any moment.
I see an ugly, defensive slug-fest w/ North winning 20-18, with each team racking up > 100 yds in penalties.

If you had to put a line on the game, what would it be?

Mine is North -2.5
It looks like North lost their starting Free Safety/Punt Returner and he might have been their long snapper too. He appeared to injure his knee returning a punt late in the UA game. He is a really good player and will be missed. Their Special Teams didn’t look very special before he went down. Kicking game looked terrible with the exception being the punter who is also their best receiver. I think Pick North is working on a fake punt for this weeks game.
Their defense looks really good as does their running game with 3 very good backs. They have 2-3 top tier receivers including #2 who is listed as a TE. However, their passing game is their weakness on offense. If PC can stuff the run and force 3rd and long situations, I like their chances. PC will need to stay disciplined and not let the hype/trash talk get to them. The team that can remain composed, minimize turnovers/penalties and control the run game will win. My prediction is Central wins 5-3.

PN has 3 liabilities to overcome and could/should win by 10+ if they can overcome them. 1) Over confidence, feeling too good with wins over Elder and UA. 2) OC not looking at more than 8 plays on the play sheet. It's not PYAA! 3) QB trying to prove he is better that the PC QB. Hillerich hitched his wagon to the wrong QB and it became PC's gain.
North has a really strong roster and PC from what I have seen is a year away maybe? I am just watching games from Youtube and feed back from friends from both sides back home. Would not be surprised with a 13-10 OT thriller with a PC walk off to revenge the 2021 PN walk off

North had success in the pass game against Central but went away from it over the course of game. PC will be able to defend the run but the question is for how long as the three running backs can wear you down.

A question on tickets for Central/North on Friday: PN’s website is indicating that there will be some tickets available for purchase available to the public come Friday. That said, they appear to be selling public tickets specifically in allotments to North “Pickerington North ticket” and Central “Pickerington Central ticket” — does whichever link I order out of (if there are still some available) dictate what gate to enter and what side to sit on?

1694061941682.png

I realize this may have been answered on Facebook/NextDoor, but I ain’t about that activity these days.

It looks like North lost their starting Free Safety/Punt Returner and he might have been their long snapper too. He appeared to injure his knee returning a punt late in the UA game. He is a really good player and will be missed. Their Special Teams didn’t look very special before he went down. Kicking game looked terrible with the exception being the punter who is also their best receiver. I think Pick North is working on a fake punt for this weeks game.
Their defense looks really good as does their running game with 3 very good backs. They have 2-3 top tier receivers including #2 who is listed as a TE. However, their passing game is their weakness on offense. If PC can stuff the run and force 3rd and long situations, I like their chances. PC will need to stay disciplined and not let the hype/trash talk get to them. The team that can remain composed, minimize turnovers/penalties and control the run game will win. My prediction is Central wins 5-3.
I bet the PC appreciates the covert work you did and reporting back about their fake plans. 😂

I know that “weirdness” is a pretty common thread across all of the games in this rivalry in Hillerich’s time, but lord having seen it in-person for the first time ever this was equally fantastic of a game (neutral POV) as it was generally bizarre.

Tigers catching not one but two DPI’s on fourth down (the second one IMO could’ve been OPI) that translated into the two touchdowns that allowed North to retake the lead… ugh. Central’s D line came out in the second half looking solid and not gassed, and I walk away thinking “if not for those DPI’s then the Tigers’ front could’ve had the game ball awarded.”

Impressed with LOC — he looks leaps and bounds better than last year. Decisive, confident, better touch on his ball. Shoutout Bowman; he played a game every PYAA kid dreams for on center stage. 197 or 200+ yards receiving? 3 TD’s? Impressed with North’s trio of backs.

First time seeing Rocco — he’s got goods and tools. Moments of brilliance and some “damn he’s a sophomore?” with other moments of “I get it, he is a sophomore.” He’ll come around; things to fix but from a limited POV I don’t know where that line is between fixing deep ball and possibly not having deep routes in 3rd & long situations.

Some stats for the picktown game from the CW broadcast

Total Yards
[PC] 325
[PN] 500
Rushing Yards
[PC] 160
[PN] 238
Passing Yards
[PC] 165
[PN] 262
Penalties
[PC] 9/75
[PN] 13/110

North really shot themselves in the foot all night with the penalties. Hadn't done that all year until tonight. Think they let their emotions get the best of them Thought one of those DPI's was iffy at best....thought the other was fine.
Feel for Rocco as he got rocked a few times there late in the game. He's gonna be bruised up.....hate to have to turn around and play Gahanna next week......gonna be tough.

Really proud of the effort of the players against PN. The Panthers were simply the better team. I was baffled by the defensive strategy though. What's happened to the PC defense? They've been torched by every decent QBs since the 2020 state championship game. Also, they couldn't stop PN's receivers from making big plays last year playing man to man. Why did they think it would be different this year? Insanity? How many 40+ yard pass plays do they have to see before you rethink your defense? I didn't see any adjustments made during the game. Somebody please explain it to me because I don't get it.

Really proud of the effort of the players against PN. The Panthers were simply the better team. I was baffled by the defensive strategy though. What's happened to the PC defense? They've been torched by every decent QBs since the 2020 state championship game. Also, they couldn't stop PN's receivers from making big plays last year playing man to man. Why did they think it would be different this year? Insanity? How many 40+ yard pass plays do they have to see before you rethink your defense? I didn't see any adjustments made during the game. Somebody please explain it to me because I don't get it.
I really thought PC found the advantage with Wells and Galloway in the 2nd half but PN pressure on the D line wouldn’t allow the time. I wouldn’t be surprised if PC upsets Gahanna.

I really thought PC found the advantage with Wells and Galloway in the 2nd half but PN pressure on the D line wouldn’t allow the time. I wouldn’t be surprised if PC upsets Gahanna.
I hope your correct. But they'd better figure out something with that defense.

I hope your correct. But they'd better figure out something with that defense.
I really think PC has a solid team but based on what I seen vs Centerville and PN they need to stop with the blitz almost every snap and focus more on secondary help. This isn’t old school ball anymore where teams are running almost every down, you need to focus more on how stop the pass.

I really think PC has a solid team but based on what I seen vs Centerville and PN they need to stop with the blitz almost every snap and focus more on secondary help. This isn’t old school ball anymore where teams are running almost every down, you need to focus more on how stop the pass.
PC is a very 'good' team with lots of good to very good players. However, they don't have any "great" players. The QB and TE COULD be great, but the offensive philosophy is not geared toward featuring their skills. I'm pretty sure Gahanna will torch them, but the Tigers will then win out to finish 7-3, win one or two playoff games to finish at 8-4 or 9-4. A good season, not great.

PC is a very 'good' team with lots of good to very good players. However, they don't have any "great" players. The QB and TE COULD be great, but the offensive philosophy is not geared toward featuring their skills. I'm pretty sure Gahanna will torch them, but the Tigers will then win out to finish 7-3, win one or two playoff games to finish at 8-4 or 9-4. A good season, not great.
Yeah I just have a feeling they will beat Gahanna in the ditch. One thing about the PN game I see people upset with the offensive play calling. It absolutely could be better but they put up 34 which should be good enough but allow 39 points. People are so used to PC defense being solid it’s hard to admit that’s truly the problem this season.Centerville took advantage of the overblitzing by emptying the backfield and PN took advantage of no safety help man coverage. Fix that and they’ll be fine.

Wanted to watch the Reynoldsburg - Pick North game at home while I also watch the Pick Central-Gahanna game, but i see Reynoldsburg doesn't stream on the NFHS sports website, I swear they used to a few years ago, I remember watching them almost beating Central at home in a game that was stopped by lightning with a few minutes left.

Gonna cheer on PC and hope it's a competitive game, watched their playoff game against Gahanna last year and they were dominated.

in case anyone wanna rewatch last weeks game :LOL:

Wanted to watch the Reynoldsburg - Pick North game at home while I also watch the Pick Central-Gahanna game, but i see Reynoldsburg doesn't stream on the NFHS sports website, I swear they used to a few years ago, I remember watching them almost beating Central at home in a game that was stopped by lightning with a few minutes left.

Gonna cheer on PC and hope it's a competitive game, watched their playoff game against Gahanna last year and they were dominated.

in case anyone wanna rewatch last weeks game :LOL:
Any North games check YouTube and search Pickerington Live Events. Young man streams each game live. Not TV quality but he certainly provides good shots most of the time. 1st Q North looked very uninterested to say the least

Any North games check YouTube and search Pickerington Live Events. Young man streams each game live. Not TV quality but he certainly provides good shots most of the time. 1st Q North looked very uninterested to say the least
Thanks for sharing the youtube channel, I'm watching the game now, the cameraman should of sat on the home side, the burg's away bleachers are so short and wide. :LOL:. I paid years ago when they started streaming Pickerington home games on that NFHS site, where the games are filmed with some sort of automated camera on the pressbox. Don't think I ever got recharged for each year, so I've always watched the home and some away games there, had to complain this year, to the Athletic Director that the sound wasn't working anymore and it was finally fixed during the Central game.

But this Youtuber will be useful for the away games where the schools don't stream anywhere, assuming they continue.

Watched Pick Central get dominated by Gahanna both offensively and defensively in their 14-49 loss, which I do believe is their worst lost in the regular season since the 2013 North game where they lost by the same score.

I don't think North will be able to beat Gahanna either, last year's 2 to 42 game against them was rough to watch. But looking at North's schedule should be a 9-0 showdown, between North and Gahanna unless North slips up in a game. New Albany seems way down, Grove City is their only other game left where the team has a winning record. I'll never forget their best season, 2012, the year they made it all the way to the state semi-final, their perfect regular season was ruined when they lost to a 4-5 Grove City team in week 10.

Watched Pick Central get dominated by Gahanna both offensively and defensively in their 14-49 loss, which I do believe is their worst lost in the regular season since the 2013 North game where they lost by the same score.

I don't think North will be able to beat Gahanna either, last year's 2 to 42 game against them was rough to watch. But looking at North's schedule should be a 9-0 showdown, between North and Gahanna unless North slips up in a game. New Albany seems way down, Grove City is their only other game left where the team has a winning record. I'll never forget their best season, 2012, the year they made it all the way to the state semi-final, their perfect regular season was ruined when they lost to a 4-5 Grove City team in week 10.
Which was the last time we had heard of Grove City doing remotely anything, because after that it went downhill for the Dawgs until Waits took the reigns.

I think most reasonable people thought the Tigers would start 2-3. The pressure to live up to past teams is off. The PC mystique is over for now. I still believe this team has talent. But last night was unwatchable. Now we'll see what kind of coaches they have. These next 5 games will give them the opportunity to try some new things on offense and defense that fit their skill sets better. Maybe give some other players a chance to show what they can do.

North, Westerville Central game tied at 14 at the half; figured westerville was a good 0-5 team looking at how close their games were.