Astros Sign Stealing

wolves82

Isn't this old news? Fiers last played there in 2017. Gattis is in the video, he did not play in 2019. MLB fined Astros $500,000 for video incident in 2018. Baseball teams have been yelling about this for a couple years, because the Astros were so stupidly obvious about it. Isn't Fiers just confirming what we already knew?

Half a million dollar fine sounds like a lot, but not to a franchise worth over a billion. If baseball wants to get serious about stopping this, make GMs and managers personally accountable with suspensions or banishment. End of problem.

Red14

Is there any more than this? I mean, this is a regular season game vs. the White Sox?? YOu mean there's no video from the playoffs? Wouldn't the home crowd be alot louder and make it impossible to hear bats or garbage cans banging?? I'm certainly not condoning the actions, and he did eventually strike Gattis out.
Is this more of a witch hunt against a successful organization like the Astros?? We do this with the Patriots all the time too, because obviously teams can't win fair and square anymore?

Indiandad

Is there any more than this? I mean, this is a regular season game vs. the White Sox?? YOu mean there's no video from the playoffs? Wouldn't the home crowd be alot louder and make it impossible to hear bats or garbage cans banging?? I'm certainly not condoning the actions, and he did eventually strike Gattis out.
Is this more of a witch hunt against a successful organization like the Astros?? We do this with the Patriots all the time too, because obviously teams can't win fair and square anymore?
Once again the point goes over your head.

clarkgriswold

According to Trevor Bauer they also cheat by putting something on their fingers to increase spin rate. Bunch of damn cheaters. Maybe that's why Nolan Ryan bailed on them!

OldSchoolPanther

If you ask me, this is no different than steroids or betting on baseball. It calls into question the integrity of the game, and cannot be ignored.

wolves82

Agreed, serious issue. It is one thing for a clever bench coach to observe and steal signals from opposing 3rd base coach or manager, or tell players when a pitcher is tipping his pitches mechanically. That's part of the game. But using electronics is out of bounds and against the rules..

As I said above, Manfred needs to switch from fining the team to holding GMs and Managers personally accountable with long suspensions or banishment, and the problem will end.

Sig Hansen

25 games seems light to me. Do they have a y video/audio of this happening during the WS? If so, a full year seems more appropriate.
Here is the a pic of the monitor during the 2017 WS. Does MLB have the balls to take the World Series away from them? I doubt it. But I think Hinch should get a year, minimum, and hefty suspensions for Cora and anyone else involved.

Indiandad

Here is the a pic of the monitor during the 2017 WS. Does MLB have the balls to take the World Series away from them? I doubt it. But I think Hinch should get a year, minimum, and hefty suspensions for Cora and anyone else involved.

If they can prove that they did it during the WS, banishment for some might be in order.

Sig Hansen

If they can prove that they did it during the WS, banishment for some might be in order.
The more I read about this, the more of a possibility that seems. Would be hard for Manfred to give Hinch anything less than a one year suspension and probably Cora and Beltran, plus a huge fine for the Astros. Hilarious how the Mets can't catch a break. 😂

thavoice

Isn't this old news? Fiers last played there in 2017. Gattis is in the video, he did not play in 2019. MLB fined Astros $500,000 for video incident in 2018. Baseball teams have been yelling about this for a couple years, because the Astros were so stupidly obvious about it. Isn't Fiers just confirming what we already knew?

Half a million dollar fine sounds like a lot, but not to a franchise worth over a billion. If baseball wants to get serious about stopping this, make GMs and managers personally accountable with suspensions or banishment. End of problem.
Concur. Until punishment is severe hen teams will never police themselves and always turn a blind eye and claim plausible deniability