Ask the Ref?

Just clarifying, player control (offensive) fouls are not rewarded with free throws to the opponent? Was at a game the other night and team A had 4 fouls in a quarter. A player on that team was called for an offensive foul, which was the 5th for the quarter, no free throws where awarded.
Yes, Offensive Fouls do not count for free throws even when in the bonus.

Yes, Offensive Fouls do not count for free throws even when in the bonus.
Ok, so now my question to the question....why did this ever become a rule? I mean there should be a deterrent for the offending team, yet an offensive foul doesn't result in free throws? That make zero sense to me. Can you shed some light on this?

A player shoots at the other teams basket and is fouled during the shot. What is the procedure after this? Are foul shots awarded?
By definition, this is not a try for goal so the foul is nothing more than a common foul. The ball is dead immediately and no points can be scored. If his/her team is in the bonus they will shoot two free throws at the proper basket.

Player is going in for a layup and is pushed in the back. He makes the layup and an intentional foul is called for the push. How many foul shots should he get?
Two free throws are awarded on all intentional fouls except during an unsuccessful 3pt attempt. 3 free throws are awarded in that instance.

Ok, so now my question to the question....why did this ever become a rule? I mean there should be a deterrent for the offending team, yet an offensive foul doesn't result in free throws? That make zero sense to me. Can you shed some light on this?
For the same reason the alternating possession arrow was introduced to the game.....

Time

For the same reason the alternating possession arrow was introduced to the game.....

Time
???? Alternating possessions were introduced to save time from gathering up and setting up a jump ball. Also many officials can't throw the ball up straight.

Question and I'm sure it's been asked on here before. If a ball that is shot his the rim then the top of the backboard but not over the back or hits a support, is it still a live ball?

???? Alternating possessions were introduced to save time from gathering up and setting up a jump ball. Also many officials can't throw the ball up straight.
Bonus was shot in the fifth foul of the half back then. We spent way too much time on foul shots and jump balls.

Question and I'm sure it's been asked on here before. If a ball that is shot his the rim then the top of the backboard but not over the back or hits a support, is it still a live ball?
The only side of the back board that is out of bounds is the back side. The other 5 sides are in bounds

Bonus was shot in the fifth foul of the half back then. We spent way too much time on foul shots and jump balls.
So let me get this right, we are saying foul shots are a waste of time? If that's the underlying thought of officials, are less fouls called purposely because of the time for foul shots?

So let me get this right, we are saying foul shots are a waste of time?
Wow, talk about a quantum leap...... You asked "why did this ever become a rule?"

All I did was give you the answer.

Guess where the change originated? (hint... it wasn't the officials)
If that's the underlying thought of officials, are less fouls called purposely because of the time for foul shots?
A second leap.......

Wow, talk about a quantum leap...... You asked "why did this ever become a rule?"

All I did was give you the answer.

Guess where the change originated? (hint... it wasn't the officials)

A second leap.......
Thanks for the answer and I understand this thread is for rules interpretation. Sorry for the commentary. Just frustrating to see the game manipulated because of things not associated with competition. I'll have to take it up on a basketball or debate thread.

Was at my sons JV game over the weekend, and a player for the opposing team smacked the back board after we had shot the ball, but before it was near the basket. Our fans went crazy saying that's a TEchnical foul. I don't know the rules so I don't ever get fired up enough to even yell out loud. All I could find was it's not goal tending or a technical unless the hitting of the backboard was bad it couldn't be ignored.

Was at my sons JV game over the weekend, and a player for the opposing team smacked the back board after we had shot the ball, but before it was near the basket. Our fans went crazy saying that's a TEchnical foul. I don't know the rules so I don't ever get fired up enough to even yell out loud. All I could find was it's not goal tending or a technical unless the hitting of the backboard was bad it couldn't be ignored.
A great question that comes up annually (it's one of our rules myths) and unfortunately :mad: is incorrectly ruled upon all too often by my brothers and sisters in officiating.

A defensive player may legally contact (typicially via a slap with the hand) the back board if that contact is part of a legitimate atempt to block a shot. If the force of this legal contact causes the back board and rim to vibrate to a point that it prevents the ball from entering the basket, the ball remains live. (yes, I have seen it live with my own eyes)

If the contact is not part of a legitimate attempt to block a shot, the penalty is a technical foul assessed to the player who contacted the back board. This action does not meet the definition of goaltending or basket interference, so no points are awarded.

Heard about this in a men's college game, but the situation would apply in HS as well.

Pepperdine misses a FT, Portland player gets the rebound and is fouled by Pepperdine. Portland player then swings his elbow and clocks the Pepperdine player right in the chin. Portland shoots two FTs for the personal (makes 1 of 2) then Pepperdine shoots two FTs for the contact technical (makes 1 of 2). Obviously is then Pepperdine ball.

Question....Where should Pepperdine then inbound/put the ball back in play for the throw-in?

Last edited:
Heard about this in a men's college game, but the situation would apply in HS as well.

Pepperdine misses a FT, Portland player gets the rebound and is fouled by Pepperdine. Portland player then swings his elbow and clocks the Pepperdine player right in the chin. Portland shoots two FTs for the personal (makes 1 of 2) then Pepperdine shoots two FTs for the contact technical (makes 1 of 2). Obviously is then Pepperdine ball.

Question....Where should Pepperdine then inbound/put the ball back in play for the throw-in?
NCAA Rules differ from NFHS rules on how to proceed in this situation.

NCAA will resume play with a designated spot throw-in on the endline after this contact technical foul.
NFHS always resumes play after any technical foul with a throw-in at the division line opposite the scorer's table.

NCAA Rules differ from NFHS rules on how to proceed in this situation.

NCAA will resume play with a designated spot throw-in on the endline after this contact technical foul.
NFHS always resumes play after any technical foul with a throw-in at the division line opposite the scorer's table.
Is this always the endline or is it relative to where the infraction takes place?

this always the endline or is it relative to where the infraction takes place?
The latter...... after a dead ball contact technical foul (NCAA), play is resumed with a designated spot throw in by the offended team at a spot nearest to where the illegal act occurred.

In this situation the end line was the closest spot by rule.

OG vs Shawnee. Caught this game twice in replay and this is what the announcers reported.

One official calls a block. Another calls A charge.
Neither backs down/defers to the other.
So they call both fouls, and use the posessiona arrow for possession.

Presume that is correct and if so...how often have you seen this? I never heard of such hooey.

OG vs Shawnee. Caught this game twice in replay and this is what the announcers reported.

One official calls a block. Another calls A charge.
Neither backs down/defers to the other.
So they call both fouls, and use the posessiona arrow for possession.

Presume that is correct and if so...how often have you seen this? I never heard of such hooey
The dreaded "blarge".....

It doesn't happen often, but because they both signalled conflicting fouls, by rule this is a Double Foul. There is no window to back down/defer.

Straight out of the Case Book....

4.19.8 Situation C
A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball. Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.

RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try in flight; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used. (4-36)

The dreaded "blarge".....

It doesn't happen often, but because they both signalled conflicting fouls, by rule this is a Double Foul. There is no window to back down/defer.

Straight out of the Case Book....

4.19.8 Situation C
A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball. Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.

RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try in flight; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used. (4-36)
I see.it about once a season and one usually defers...first I've ever seen it called this way!

I see.it about once a season and one usually defers...first I've ever seen it called this way!
If you have two whistles but no signals, the non-primary official should defer to the primary...... (prescribed mechanic and 100% acceptable)

If there are two signals and one defers or they get together...... that's a crew who screwed up, then screwed up again by going against the rule book.

On an illegal screen, can the offensive player setting the screen be moving at all or can there be any contact at all without it being illegal?

On an illegal screen, can the offensive player setting the screen be moving at all
Yes, provided both the screener and the opponent are moving in the same path and the same direction
or can there be any contact at all without it being illegal?
Yes, provided the contact is not caused by the screener

Rule 4 Section 40 -- Screen

ART. 1 . . . A screen is legal action by a player who, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position.
ART. 2 . . . To establish a legal screening position:
a. The screener may face any direction.
b. Time and distance are relevant.
c. The screener must be stationary, except when both the screener and opponent are moving in the same path and the same direction.
d. The screener must stay within his/her vertical plane with a stance approximately shoulder width apart.
ART. 3 . . . When screening a stationary opponent from the front or side (within the visual field), the screener may be anywhere short of contact.
ART. 4 . . . When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact.
ART. 5 . . . When screening a moving opponent, the screener must allow the opponent time and distance to avoid contact by stopping or changing direction. The speed of the player to be screened will determine where the screener may take his/her stationary position. The position will vary and may be one to two normal steps or strides from the opponent.
ART. 6 . . . When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and direction as the screener, the player behind is responsible if contact is made because the player in front slows up or stops and the player behind overruns his/her opponent.
ART. 7 . . . A player who is screened within his/her visual field is expected to avoid contact by going around the screener. In cases of screens outside the visual field, the opponent may make inadvertent contact with the screener and if the opponent is running rapidly, the contact may be severe. Such a case is to be ruled as incidental contact provided the opponent stops or attempts to stop on contact and moves around the screen, and provided the screener is not displaced if he/she has the ball.
ART. 8 . . . A player may not use the arms, hands, hips or shoulders to force his/her way through a screen or to hold the screener and then push the screener aside in order to maintain a guarding position on an opponent.

On a dead ball inbounds play underneath the basket, can the inbounding player move left to right, and backwards while also dribbling? I was told this tonight, I’ve never seen it or heard of it. I was told the inbounding player has 3ft left to right.

On a dead ball inbounds play underneath the basket, can the inbounding player move left to right, and backwards while also dribbling? I was told this tonight, I’ve never seen it or heard of it. I was told the inbounding player has 3ft left to right.
A few things here.....

- During a designated spot throw-in, that spot is 3 feet wide (1 1/2 feet laterally from the original spot. The thrower must keep one foot on or over that area until the ball is released. There are no depth limits to how far back off the boundary line the thrower may move. After a made or awarded goal, the thrower may move laterally and/or backwards between the sideline boundaries.
- Traveling and dribbling rules do not apply on a throw-in.
- Once the thrower has the ball at their disposal the ball is live.

Saw this on a video and made me wonder if it was legal. It might become popular enough to give it a try.

Free throw shooter taking the second FT with little time left down by 2. He wants to miss intentionally but also create confusion. For his shot, he bounces the ball off the ground and it hits the rim. Is this a legal FT shot?

Saw this on a video and made me wonder if it was legal. It might become popular enough to give it a try.

Free throw shooter taking the second FT with little time left down by 2. He wants to miss intentionally but also create confusion. For his shot, he bounces the ball off the ground and it hits the rim. Is this a legal FT shot?
No.....

By definition, one of the ways a free throw ends is when the try touches the floor.....