Art Modell Dies

though i didnt care much for modell his teams in cleveland for the part were competitive. not like this crappy product they put out on the field today.

Perhaps but he took a championship franchise and turned it into a "maybe we'll get lucky and make the playoffs every so often" franchise.

Not to mention firing perhaps the greatest coach (Paul Brown) of all time and driving the greatest player (Jim Brown) to an early retirement. Modell was far from "all that."

92.3 The Fan just reported that the Browns WILL pay tribute to Modell this Sunday. Not sure what they're doing, but it reportedly is a team decision.

92.3 The Fan just reported that the Browns WILL pay tribute to Modell this Sunday. Not sure what they're doing, but it reportedly is a team decision.

Barry McBride ‏ @ BarryMcBride
Thank you, Cleveland Browns, for putting Cleveland fans once again into an unwinnable situation.

Barry runs the OBR.

I know all you Brownies know what I'm talking about... But if you don't believe me some dude just called 92.3 the fan and basically said he is starting a riot. He is not alone.

Christ, between this fiasco and the CBS security nazis, 3/4 of the stadium will probably get bounced before kickoff.

I'm glad I wont be there to be a part of it, and I think if I were holding a ticket, I'd unload it, and watch at home.

i dont get why they want to do this --was there a moment of silence for otto graham? was there a moment of silence for Leroy Kelly??? how about marion motley???? and we could name a few others who were great Browns that have passed--so i just do not know why this is so important to do --- maybe Jimmy Boy ,our new ownwer , should try to step and block this debacle in waiting that will make his new team's city and fans look like th e bad guys when the boos come cascading down from the upper deck and you know some one will have a noose with art in it hanging him if effigy ..it will be all BAD BAD BAD

The problem is that "they" is the NFL. "They" had a league-wide moment of silence for Al Davis, so the unfortunate precedent has already been set for carpetbagging owners.

I am coming up with some creative possible options...
Here are my favorites:
-Browns honor 1964 Championship team owned by Art Modell
-Dan Gilbert reads letter
-Browns say screw it and rip NFL and Art Modell for leaving Cleveland, sending stadium into frenzy and leading to a week 1 win.

I am coming up with some creative possible options...
Here are my favorites:
-Browns honor 1964 Championship team owned by Art Modell
-Dan Gilbert reads letter
-Browns say screw it and rip NFL and Art Modell for leaving Cleveland, sending stadium into frenzy and leading to a week 1 win.

Actually, why not show highlights of the Browns from back in the heyday? Wouldn't even have to acknowledge modell at all, just show game stuff. Keep the crowd distracted until kickoff. :shrug:

Is the team saying to one another, "lets go out there and win one for the fans" and if so, will they actually do it?

Maybe this is reverse psychology? The level of "fire", from what I've been told, at Browns games is pretty weak. Maybe they are trying to gain a home field advantage, Kenny Powers style?

Perhaps but he took a championship franchise and turned it into a "maybe we'll get lucky and make the playoffs every so often" franchise.

Not to mention firing perhaps the greatest coach (Paul Brown) of all time and driving the greatest player (Jim Brown) to an early retirement. Modell was far from "all that."

thats why i didnt like him as a owner.

Actually, why not show highlights of the Browns from back in the heyday? Wouldn't even have to acknowledge modell at all, just show game stuff. Keep the crowd distracted until kickoff. :shrug:
If the Browns do this right, it could be awesome. If Dan Gilbert owned the Browns, it would be awesome. He would throw up both middle fingers to the world and get the stadium going. I have no faith in the Browns to handle this well. Already told my mom and sister to be careful Sunday. Worst case scenario is a full blown riot breaking out with Kasich or Obama calling in the National Guard. Goodell is an idiot.