Art Modell Dies

The reson the old stadium didn't sell out was because 20,000 seats were just plain horrible. Everything in the lower deck next to the baseball diamond were at a low pitch so you could not see much and when the suites were built in the '70s it made viewinig any pass or kick in the lower deck higher rows worthless. I think TVs were added and many folks just sat there and watched them instead of the live action on the field. Dog Pound was the best seat in the house.

I agree that the infield area lower deck seats were bad. I sat there for a couple of games, and you could still follow the game, but they were subpar seats for sure.

People are criticizing the Browns for not planning a moment of silence. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Literally anyone who has been to one game knows what would happen.

People are criticizing the Browns for not planning a moment of silence. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Literally anyone who has been to one game knows what would happen.

Yeah that would be horrendous. There are still a ton of bitter people here. You combine that with alcohol and it will get ugly. A moment of silence will just make Cleveland look bad. You know ESPN would be there chomping at the bit to bash the city once again.

The guy screwed the city of Cleveland over royally. He doesn't deserve a moment of silence. I don't get anyone cheering that he died. But I also am not shedding a tear for him. I don't really care at all to be honest. People die everyday and he doesn't deserve more sympathy than any other person. He damn sure doesn't deserve any recognition in this city though.

Other than maybe the Cowboys, there was no bigger fanbase in the NFL t that time than the Browns.
Doubtful considering the eras when teams like the Dolphins, Steelers, Niners, Bears (cultlike following in mid '80s) were winning titles. Packers in the '60s. They never won enough under Modell for the brand to take off like the others.

I thought he was initially offered a spot at the table when Gateway was still in it's early concepts -- this was way before the final design of Jacobs Field and Gund Arena. The idea was to either build a multipurpose football/baseball facility or two separate places next to each other, ala Kansas City. I remember a quote in the paper, something like "We're not planning to move up there [Gateway]" -- this is what morphed into the Cavs getting a new arena and Modell being 'ignored' by the city.

you are correct , modell didnt want any part of the gateway project. that might have been because he had a sweet deal with the city on the old stadium that allowed him to sub let it to the indians. and as i recall the city came to him in early 95 about a major renovation of the old stadium and he turned that down.

Doubtful considering the eras when teams like the Dolphins, Steelers, Niners, Bears (cultlike following in mid '80s) were winning titles. Packers in the '60s. They never won enough under Modell for the brand to take off like the others.

You're forgetting the Browns eight championships. During the Modell Era there were still plenty of fans around from those Browns championships in the 50's & 60's.

the biggest mistake and the only realistic thing that is keeping the great Art form entering the HOF is that IF he would have sold the team when the financial times were tough for him ,it may have caused a minor ripple and assuming the new ownership would not have run the team into the ground or moved it anyway ...Art would not have been hated as he is today for moving the team when his back was up against the wall ....he had no choice by that time and the city and mike white was indifferent with the new gateway project as thier gem and art's stadium falling apart with pee on the floor everyhwere because of broken plumbing ...so Art was down to his last straw and he probably died still feeling guilty about it ...

As you serious? They're being criticized? Hell, a "moment of silence" to pay homage to Art Modell just might lead to the loudest cheer that stadium will hear all day.

A moment of silence would be a disaster.

Brian Billick needs to shut his hole saying stuff like 'Cleveland DROVE Modell out of the city" and "he had no choice." Taking his potshots at Cleveland every chance he had in that interview too.

I never said he was a great business man, learn to read. He made a great business move by getting out of that mistake on the lake that is Cleveland. He made a great move by leaving that stench of a city and ended up getting a championship for it in return. The curse is real and instead of trying to fight through he took the smart way out

I never said he was a great business man, learn to read. He made a great business move by getting out of that mistake on the lake that is Cleveland. He made a great move by leaving that stench of a city and ended up getting a championship for it in return. The curse is real and instead of trying to fight through he took the smart way out

So to paraphrase... you're a troll from cincy trying to get a rise out of Browns fans. Whoa - there's something new... :thumb:

sory sorry sorry to all of you living in the past --atrthur b modell is WORTHY of induction into the pro football hall of fame --its a shame that he will be inducted post mortem ( slayer )--- YES -he moved the team ...YES its hard to let that go , but we are now two owners removed from the modell era and its time to pay the man some respect --- try not to be be drunken loser fans for a moment ...just be nice loser fans and show some class ..his body isnt even cold yet

sory sorry sorry to all of you living in the past --atrthur b modell is WORTHY of induction into the pro football hall of fame --its a shame that he will be inducted post mortem ( slayer )--- YES -he moved the team ...YES its hard to let that go , but we are now two owners removed from the modell era and its time to pay the man some respect --- try not to be be drunken loser fans for a moment ...just be nice loser fans and show some class ..his body isnt even cold yet

I would expect no less from a Ravens fan...:Ohno:

You're forgetting the Browns eight championships. During the Modell Era there were still plenty of fans around from those Browns championships in the 50's & 60's.
Perhaps, but as TV coverage grew with MNF and more games and coverage on cable, fans new to the sport gravitated to the better teams. I would guess in the 60s fan loyalty was pretty regional with high-profile teams like the Packers and Browns getting picking up gaps. Once the 70's hit and beyond, I don't think there's any way the Browns were one of the top two in terms of following in the nation.

A moment of silence would be a disaster.

Brian Billick needs to shut his hole saying stuff like 'Cleveland DROVE Modell out of the city" and "he had no choice." Taking his potshots at Cleveland every chance he had in that interview too.
Hmmmmmm...Know anybody with a small plane and a banner?;)

I would expect no less from a Ravens fan...:Ohno:

Ravnes ???? I am not a Raven s fan solely ... I do like the Ravens but am prmarily a Falcons fan ..so my comments have nothing to do with being a fan of any team ...its the facts BR ---- the facts are tha Modell is just as great as wellington mara or the rooney family etc.... he got the TV deals done where we might not have MNF as we have had it in the past and today --Art was a pioneer .... he is hated in cleveland but so is LeBron and LeBron will be the best ever and go into the hall of fame ..so cleveland fans need to just let it go ...Art left and went where he had the support of a city to win and within no time ,,the Ravens won the Superbowl...just like LeBron left and won ...deal with it

For what?

Ravnes ???? I am not a Raven s fan solely ... I do like the Ravens but am prmarily a Falcons fan ..so my comments have nothing to do with being a fan of any team ...its the facts BR ---- the facts are tha Modell is just as great as wellington mara or the rooney family etc.... he got the TV deals done where we might not have MNF as we have had it in the past and today --Art was a pioneer .... he is hated in cleveland but so is LeBron and LeBron will be the best ever and go into the hall of fame ..so cleveland fans need to just let it go ...Art left and went where he had the support of a city to win and within no time ,,the Ravens won the Superbowl...just like LeBron left and won ...deal with it
You're not a Falcons fan. You've never once posted anything about the Falcons. GTFO.

For what?

for being ahead of the curve and bringing the NFL into the primetime TV era and for dying of course .... he was promised things by the city of cleveland ...and the politicians turned their back on him ... he was president of the board of the cleveland clininc ..he bought a major hotel in downtown cleveland just to save it from going under ,But when Art needed help , people would not even return his calls --prominent people ---- so , while he will always be hated he was loved by everyone that knew him well...players ,coahces ,etc.....

You're not a Falcons fan. You've never once posted anything about the Falcons. GTFO.

whatever dude ... i was a falcons fan since the steve bartkowski era ... I was a HUGE Andre Rision fan..... and hated Icky Woods for stealing "the dirty bird" dance and calling it his own icky shuffle which he ripped off of the falcons

whatever dude ... i was a falcons fan since the steve bartkowski era ... I was a HUGE Andre Rision fan..... and hated Icky Woods for stealing "the dirty bird" dance and calling it his own icky shuffle which he ripped off of the falcons

ickey woods was doing the shuffle back in the late 80s. the falcons dirty bird was around 94.

though i didnt care much for modell his teams in cleveland for the part were competitive. not like this crappy product they put out on the field today.