Any bird brains out there?

Birds get full size pretty quickly. A hummingbird is a fully mature adult in about a month. So there are more adult hummingbirds in late summer than any other time of the year. So yeah, they are most likely to be seen right now.

Almost certainly Ruby-throated Hummingbirds. RTHU are only 3.75 inches from the tip of their long bill to the end of their tail feathers. Anything else in Ohio is lost, which happens every year during fall migration.

Think about buying a hummingbird feeder. Make your own sugar water. Don't buy the stuff dyed red.

That's what we do. It's not uncommon to have 1 or 2 sightings at the feeder while we eat dinner just 10 ft. away on our screened in back porch. Some brightly colored flowers can also help the cause in attracting hummingbirds.

Something that appears to be a small hummingbird, might be a moth. They really do act like hummingbirds.

Coming to the time of the year I have to be careful not to get run over by a herd of these heading across the driveway to my basement.
bandwb.jpg

You are right. Woolly Bears are everywhere starting around this time. I have to avoid them like crazy while riding my bike. I never seem to see as many Tiger Moths as I do Woolly Bears? Bird food?

Pelicans are fun. I miss those from the Florida days. Hope I get to see one up here. They're like little kids following you around, beaks up for treats.

That time of year.

Got a couple mallards hanging in my pool.

Just read this today in the local weekly (Suburban Press)

View attachment 16554
We were at Ottawa Sunday. Saw about 3 dozen white pelicans.

They are becoming more commonly seen here on their migration from the Gulf coast to their nesting grounds in the Dakotas and Canada.

• Reflections: Adding bright, reflective objects over the area where the birds are pecking can frighten them away. Metal pie plates, mylar strips, old CDs, or small mirrors hung from strings or fishing line over the pecking area are good options, but they must be free to swing in the breeze to be more unpredictable. Small metal pinwheels with reflective sections can be similarly effective.
  • Movement: Windsocks, streamers, or flags hung in the same area where the birds are pecking will help deter them with random movements and fluttering noises that can be frightening. Colorful objects are the best choice and may be more effective than simple windsocks. Wind chimes, especially reflective.
That's a female Downy woodpecker.
Update: Thanks for the advise. I hung a CD from twine and this did the trick. I do not miss my daughter's Spice Girls CD at all!

We were at Ottawa Sunday. Saw about 3 dozen white pelicans.

They are becoming more commonly seen here on their migration from the Gulf coast to their nesting grounds in the Dakotas and Canada.

I figured you'd know.

I never knew White Pelican's bred in the Dakota's. Brown Pelicans stay down South?

My barred owl seems to be getting closer in at night as he's getting louder and louder. I'll have to hide out some night to try to see him.

Hummingbirds should be back soon.

I figured you'd know.

I never knew White Pelican's bred in the Dakota's. Brown Pelicans stay down South?
There are lot of ducks and coastal birds that nest in the prairie potholes of the northern Great Plains.

Brown pelicans stay down south, but like some other species, they will get lost. There was a brown pelican off Cedar Point a few years ago.

My barred owl seems to be getting closer in at night as he's getting louder and louder. I'll have to hide out some night to try to see him.

Hummingbirds should be back soon.
Barred owls will call in the daytime. Play their call on your phone, or learn how yourself, and go find him.

I've only been hit by an owl once.

I never get a chuckle out of seeing geese. Poop machines, plain and simple. Duckies are always fun. Came home after a strong rain had flooded part of the street, in my driveway mama and pappa duck paddling away. Newish neighbors who think they own the place let their cats run around. One likes to climb trees. Bird population kind of scarce now. Only the robins and crows seem aggressive enough. No more cardinals or blue jays or those yellow birds.

I never get a chuckle out of seeing geese. Poop machines, plain and simple. Duckies are always fun. Came home after a strong rain had flooded part of the street, in my driveway mama and pappa duck paddling away. Newish neighbors who think they own the place let their cats run around. One likes to climb trees. Bird population kind of scarce now. Only the robins and crows seem aggressive enough. No more cardinals or blue jays or those yellow birds.
Last year, a feral cat (I assume) got to the robin's nest perched on my back porch light. After years of seeing a handful of robins poking around for worms, that streak has ended (it seems). Cardinals fly in and out of my yard, but I don't think they nest there. I haven't seen a jay recently, but still have a few of the smaller birds that like to hang out in the holly bushes. Not as many birds or squirrels as in years past. Need to do better at putting out water, I guess.

I'm pretty lucky with woods and wetlands behind my house. Blue Jays, Cardinals, finches, golf finches, robins, sparrows, chickadees, a variety of woodpeckers, crows, hummingbirds, wood ducks, wild turkeys and others. Also serves as feeding grounds for the area hawks and the occasional falcon. I'll lure the owl out some day.

American Goldfinch

If any of you come to my house do not come the front door...the finches are back nesting on the front door wreath.
I love to watch them up close from inside, there is a decent size piece of cut clear glass right where the nest sits, have to move very slow for viewing from inside. No eggs yet...

I always get a chuckle out of seeing a couple geese sitting atop my blue pool cover after a good rain.

Once, it was one goose and one mallard. My wife imagined they were buddies. Okay...
Wife said the same thing in regard to the mallards but I'm pretty sure they were husband and wife for this year at least. I heard the on sneeze. I'm tearing out some bushes near the pool and I hear a light sneezing sound and looked over and the darn thing was sneezing. Has to be how any kind of avian flu spreads. ?‍♂️

Last two Springs I have seen more Blue Jays than ever before. Funny how that is. Some years I see more rabbits or toads. Last two have been Blue Jays which I don't mind because they are so cool looking.

Next time some geese are flying overhead clap your hands real loud 2-3 times.

Wife said the same thing in regard to the mallards but I'm pretty sure they were husband and wife for this year at least. I heard the on sneeze. I'm tearing out some bushes near the pool and I hear a light sneezing sound and looked over and the darn thing was sneezing. Has to be how any kind of avian flu spreads. ?‍♂️
You better wear a mask when you're out in the yard from here on.

:geek:

Apparently, some mute swans have taken up residence near our house. Did not realize they were invasive and bad.