Any bird brains out there?

USA70PP

I have a question maybe someone out there can answer.
For the past five years or so we have had a Robin build a nest on the ledge over the French doors leading from the porch to the front room. We watch her as she and daddy feed the little ones and work with them until they go off on their own. Last year was the first time we noticed it and again this year the mother has returned to what we assume is an empty nest. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

chs1971

Will a particular bird return to the same spot year after year? Yes.

Will robins reuse an old nest? Yes.

Anything else? 🦉

clarkgriswold

From the internet-
Mother robins may start incubating their eggs during the evening after the second egg is laid, or after all the eggs are laid. They sit on the eggs for 12 to 14 days. The female usually does all the incubating. Even in good weather, she rarely leaves her eggs for more than 5 to 10 minutes at a time.

arizonawildcat

I would question if it was the same bird, dpending on the life span of the robin. I have had doves build a nest in the same place on my patio beam for nine years. I just know it can't have been the same bird.

chs1971

I figured that, but can she have babies that close together? Within a couple weeks?
A robin will lay 2-3 clutches of eggs each season. It takes about 2 weeks for robin eggs to hatch and another two weeks for the birds to fledge at which point she will soon lay more eggs.