Alter vs Clinton Massie

Maybe, but not 20 points closer.
You prepare one game at a time. When Massie won state in 2021, the regional finals vs McNick was by far the tightest challenge they faced (except of course Ursuline in the championship game) 28-27 was the score line then and McNick was about 2 ft short of upsetting Massie then on their failed two point conversion.

Alter is less of a wildcard to me than McNick, Alter is going to do what Alter does. I think it fits better into what Massie will want to do and does well. To me, this game comes down to execution. Special teams, turnovers, penalties could be the separation when these two meet. My prediction is a slugfest rather than a shoot out. I take Massie by a late field goal 17-14.
The good lord seems to favor Massie against GCL opponents in the playoffs.

Should be a great game in R16 with these two matching up. Two great teams and great coaching staffs. I would expect a physical game, which seems fairly obvious with the two teams playing. I expect a lower scoring, defensive game as well. Final score being something like 14-10 in either teams favor.

Is it? Statisticians get it, it was a JOKE!!! Kind of a statistics thing and not doubting your ability to understand numerators and denominators on a calculator...I can do math all damn day long and even the stuff that has no numbers.
I'm proud of you for your math and humor skills. This all started when you suggested that a poster should have done some research. That is certainly excellent advise you should follow.

There seems to be an assumption that Alter, in particular, runs the exact same offensive schemes as in the recent past. It will run wishbone sets but nowhere near as often. Scheme has been tweaked to fit this squad's personnel and just as likely to run shotgun formations as qb under center. Varies by opponent and down and distance. Massie threw twice vs McNich. In years past Alter might have been as frugal. BUT on the season Alter is averaging a 2-1 run/pass ratio. Can think of 3 recent QBs, all of whom went D1, who averaged @ 6-8 ( or less) throws a game as juniors. Some of that was bc they were better run threats in the 'Bone, but some was bc it was their 1st year as starters. Current QB is a junior who is not a 1st year starter. Gets more playbook options than his predecessors. Point being this game isn't necessarily the like-on-like some anticipate.

I'm proud of you for your math and humor skills. This all started when you suggested that a poster should have done some research. That is certainly excellent advise you should follow.
You may have the wrong poster...I never suggested to someone doing more research...I just interject a smartazz, comical "math" comment when I see something related to statistics. I have too much on my plate to recommend to someone else to research...there are careers made of that shizz. However, I am good at math just not English. :ROFLMAO:

You may have the wrong poster...I never suggested to someone doing more research...I just interject a smartazz, comical "math" comment when I see something related to statistics. I have too much on my plate to recommend to someone else to research...there are careers made of that shizz. However, I am good at math just not English. :ROFLMAO:
Fair enough. Back on topic. Massie has rushed for 3386 yds vs. 280 yds. passing but has 4 TDs on 23 total pass attempts according to max prep. They have shown an ability in the past to have good success on a limitted number of attempts. Massie has always been a run heavy team and has had great success. I think they win this game in a hard fought game.

There seems to be an assumption that Alter, in particular, runs the exact same offensive schemes as in the recent past. It will run wishbone sets but nowhere near as often. Scheme has been tweaked to fit this squad's personnel and just as likely to run shotgun formations as qb under center. Varies by opponent and down and distance. Massie threw twice vs McNich. In years past Alter might have been as frugal. BUT on the season Alter is averaging a 2-1 run/pass ratio. Can think of 3 recent QBs, all of whom went D1, who averaged @ 6-8 ( or less) throws a game as juniors. Some of that was bc they were better run threats in the 'Bone, but some was bc it was their 1st year as starters. Current QB is a junior who is not a 1st year starter. Gets more playbook options than his predecessors. Point being this game isn't necessarily the like-on-like some anticipate.
After going back and looking at Alter on film...you are probably correct. However, I have a hard time getting past the Zaire shut down against Shawnee out of my mind (trying to do stuff they weren't geared to doing). Alter has had some quality QBs in the past but it seems their pass options/talent aren't necessarily utilized as they should be. Dont get me wrong, I respect the Knights, their schedule (sans week 2&3), coaching staff and what they have accomplished this year but....IMHO, it will take more than trying to out Massie than being Massie.

I say Massie wins the game but it will not be a blow out and the Knights will be there at the end. Again, IMHO, these may be the two best teams in the region...maybe.

Fair enough. Back on topic. Massie has rushed for 3386 yds vs. 280 yds. passing but has 4 TDs on 23 total pass attempts according to max prep. They have shown an ability in the past to have good success on a limitted number of attempts. Massie has always been a run heavy team and has had great success. I think they win this game in a hard fought game.
That sir, we can agree...I got Massie as well in a close one.

All is good...keep it coming.

I have watched film on both teams and Massie has to be the favorite. I see their offensive line controlling the LOS. Alter struggled with Massie last time they played and that Alter team had an all time great running back in Brandon McDonald. Give me Massie by 10.

I have watched film on both teams and Massie has to be the favorite. I see their offensive line controlling the LOS. Alter struggled with Massie last time they played and that Alter team had an all time great running back in Brandon McDonald. Give me Massie by 10.
Comparing teams /games with 2020 ?

I wouldn't say Alter struggled. It was a tough back and forth game with a few big plays. Go back and watch that 2020 game. And Alter was driving late in the 4th quarter in a position to win and fumbled. Also, what helped Alter was when they started throwing the ball downfield out of the spread. I fully expect to see a balance of running and passing.

All I know is I love when Massie and Alter hook up because it's two great football programs with storied pasts and passionate fan bases.

Having a D1 recruit at QB gives you a lot of options, especially if using his legs are part of. I do remember some nice QB’s at Alter. That Boucher (so) kid that played with Borland was really good. Pretty much beat my Big Red by himself. And the kid that went to ND was really good. Did Boucher continue on in college.

Boucher was MVP of 09 Big 33 game. Went to Miami along with his twin and started, believe got a MAC title and won a bowl game. Zaire started at ND. got hurt, transferred to Florida, got a couple starts. Bazelak went to Mizzou, started and was 0 frosh of the year in SEC. He got happy feet and transferred 1st to IU last season and is now QB and starting for BG. In between Alter had a runner who went to USMC for tour or two- Hayes by name

Boucher was MVP of 09 Big 33 game. Went to Miami along with his twin and started, believe got a MAC title and won a bowl game. Zaire started at ND. got hurt, transferred to Florida, got a couple starts. Bazelak went to Mizzou, started and was 0 frosh of the year in SEC. He got happy feet and transferred 1st to IU last season and is now QB and starting for BG. In between Alter had a runner who went to USMC for tour or two- Hayes by name
It’s unusual to have that kind of run of great QB’s at any level let alone in D4. Do you think it’s more of development thing or just a cycle of great athletes at the position. I’m not sure most fans can appreciate just how difficult it is to be a D1 college recruit at the QB position. That is an impressive bunch.

It’s unusual to have that kind of run of great QB’s at any level let alone in D4. Do you think it’s more of development thing or just a cycle of great athletes at the position. I’m not sure most fans can appreciate just how difficult it is to be a D1 college recruit at the QB position. That is an impressive bunch.
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it on here but the current Alter quarterback just broke Zaires and Bazelaks record to be the all-time passing leader at Alter.

Fortunate run of late for sure but a constant from the beginning at that position. 1st handful of QBs also did well. Xavier, Navy, EKU, Middle Tenn and Indiana. It's a competitive spot through time.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it on here but the current Alter quarterback just broke Zaires and Bazelaks record to be the all-time passing leader at Alter.

Ironically though, he would be playing another position if either Zaire or Bazelak (or a handful of past Alter QBs, Pitzer and Boucher to name a few) were at Alter today.

Nothing against the kid, but he has to be the least impressive, most accomplished (at least in terms of passing yards) QB Alter has had in a while, or maybe ever.

Didn’t he start as a Freshmen? Don’t know but Zaire or Bazelak start that early? Also I’m thinking he’s throwing much more then either of them ever did.

Didn’t he start as a Freshmen? Don’t know but Zaire or Bazelak start that early? Also I’m thinking he’s throwing much more then either of them ever did.
You are spot on. Gavin Conner (current QB) started after 3rd game his freshman year. Domsitz has opened up the offense adjusting to talent on the team. It helps that they have 2 fantastic receivers and a couple of good ones on the roster. They are still very young at running back (sophomores) Zaire and Baszelac didn't start till junior years. Alter has been blessed at QB position.

Bouche 2 year starter (1 State Championship) coolest QB under pressure, pinpoint accuracy, great passer)
Pitzer 2 year starter ((Best QB I have seen at running bone 1 state Championship, 1 State semifinal) Alter beat CM 32-7
Zaire 2 year starter ( Most talented QB, defense was not strong did not win a playoff game)
Hayes 2 year starter (Best pure runner a good passer 1 state final) JR - CM beat Alter 21-14,SR Alter beat CM 35-7
Markoff 2 year starter (good runner good arm (1 state semifinal) Alter beat CM 28-0
Bazelac 2 year starter (strong arm great leader 1 state final)
Stenemen 1 year starter (down year Alter 7-5. Led team to win over CJ last week season to make playoffs) 8 spots kept 20+years playoffs streak
Shane 1 year starter (1 state semifinal. Good all round QB could pass and run) Team rebounded from 2-5 start) CM beat Alter 42-32
Conner 3 year starter. Has improved every year, great arm has become a strong runner) 4 playoff wins coming into CM game this year

Last edited:
I've always said, Alter's best teams had more of a dynamic offensive threat. The Wishbone is the staple, but the ability to spread you out and throw a little. It takes their better QB's to do it, but those have been some of their very best teams.

It does concern me a bit that CM is facing Alter. Style wise, these two are very similar. Both are built to dominate upfront and be physical. CM can get away with never passing against many opponents, against Alter, that may be a little more difficult. Just keeping in mind that Alter can certainly match the physicality that CM will bring with their offense.

Now maybe this is just me being a homer. But if there was a team with an edge it would have to be the Knights, right? This is the most I’ve ever seen them throw the ball ever. They have guys on the outside a QB that can sling it. Plus they can get in the bone and run it. From what I’ve observed on here and watching the Massie-McNick game last week. You don’t have to be a scientist to see what Massie is going to do on offense it’s predictable. Run, run, run. This will be one of those games where it’s over by 8:30-9.

I spoke with someone close to the Massie program. Massie has a confidence in this game. They know Alter has a great tradition and is a very good program, but Massie feels like Alter will not be able to stop their pounding run game. Additionally Massie feels like it can match up against Alter's offense, which is not as predictable as previous years is still a run first and only throw if absolutely necessary.

My guess is that Alter is a little better than Massie thinks but Massie still prevails in a game that is won in the 4th quarter.

Hello. It’s week 13. No team is at full strength Every team has players lost to injuries All the others are dinged up but won’t say it because they want to play. 2 awesome teams with great traditions. Really looking forward to this match up