A Time To Die: The OCC (Ohio Capital Conference)

Does the OCC Need To Die?

• Yes

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 47.2%

• Total voters
There is a direct correlation between enrollment and available athletes. The larger your enrollment the more athletes in that pool of kids. I would suggest to you that for every 50 boys you have in enrollment you will have 5-6 really good athletes and another 5-6 role players.

What plays a larger role in this is how many sports you offer. The more sports the more you waterdown your talent base.
This is arguably the most incorrect comment I have ever seen and hope people don’t really believe this.

What’s your explanation for City League schools, Appalachian Schools?

Why is Scioto and Kilbourne nowhere near as competitive as say Upper Arlington or the Olentangys?

Come on.

This is arguably the most incorrect comment I have ever seen and hope people don’t really believe this.

What’s your explanation for City League schools, Appalachian Schools?

Why is Scioto and Kilbourne nowhere near as competitive as say Upper Arlington or the Olentangys?

Come on.
There is a giant difference between available boys that are enrolled vs those who are actually interested in going out for sports teams and willing to put the work in.

Then you have to take into consideration culture of the community (expectations), coaching, player development in the off season, home life and support kids get, academic eligibility, resources the school and community want to put into athletics.

But, all things considered, the more boys you have in your high school the more athletes you are likely to have available to play sports.

This is the whole reason OSHAA has division based on enrollment.

You are the incorrect one.

Last edited:
There is a giant difference between available boys that are enrolled vs those who are actually interested in going out for sports teams and willing to put the work in.

Then you have to take into consideration culture of the community (expectations), coaching, player development in the off season, home life and support kids get, academic eligibility, resources the school and community want to put into athletics.

But, all things considered, the more boys you have in your high school the more athletes you are likely to have available to play sports.

This is the whole reason OSHAA has division based on enrollment.

You are the incorrect one.
1698882245277.gif

Was it the district that kept WL in? Or did the new conference not want to admit a school that large? WL is listed @ 1,800 students on the OCC Wiki. FH is listed at 1,300 (which sounds high to me).
I could see conferences not wanting to admit a school like WL based on their size.

I guess that's another question for this thread.. is there an option out there for all these 1,500 plus enrollment schools other than the OCC?
In Westland’s case, I’m not sure it matters what their enrollment is. They don’t get a ton of kids out for sports.