2023 St. Ignatius Football

I’m so sick of this crap. Sophomore is 0-7 with a pick. They only bring Papesh in for a sneak from the 1 because the sophomore can’t get in and he scores. Yet they keep putting the sophomore in.
Absolutely ridiculous.

1971: Hyped as the Revival of the Rivalry! The two schools played half dozen times in the 50's. I think Ed's won once. Not sure why the game wasn't played in the 60's. Last game of the season at Baldwin-Wallace. Ed's won 24-0. I believe Bob Kubacki, Jim's older brother, was the Iggy QB and Mike Soeder was their tailback. That was one of the best Ed's teams. Finished 9-1. I think the only loss was a team from Dayton.
Erie McDowell maybe.

I guess I worried all week for nothing. Hard to believe I’d live long enough to see St Ed’s run a competent passing game and Ignatius fail to do anything through the air.
Clearly, Lombardo didn’t run Bullock as he normally would have, given Bullock coming back from a leg injury. Yet this was good work for Bullock in the passing game. But really a role reversal for Ed’s and Ignatius given Ignatius having the dominant passing program for so many years.
Obviously Ignatius is playing young players, but the jury is still out on what they will become. I must say though that Henderson? #5 (Check that I think #5 is a student named Washington?) Anyway, #5 is definitely a player.

Last edited:
Just because you are playing a bunch of sophomores, doesn’t mean they will be contenders over the next 2 years. It does say a lot about the state of the program. It can’t get any worse than these zero-chance to compete beat downs.

just my opinion but the soph QB has a LONG way to go to be a difference maker.

I just want to state that whoever colincat is - you’re a lemming and part of the problem. He typed a response that must have been deleted, and rightfully so.
For the record, I don’t know the Papesh family but respect the fact that he’s a SENIOR CAPTAIN. That should account for something, and the Ignatius that I remember took things like that into account.
My kids attended Ignatius and I love the place. But losing Kyle has changed it drastically. The daddy ball and booster influence is so damn obvious that it hurts.
The coaches should be ashamed. The administration should be ashamed. The players - especially the juniors and seniors that have busted their for this program - are the ones that are being punished.
It’s embarrassing. Do the right thing and let the seniors that deserve it to finish their Ignatius career as starters.

The talent disparity was obvious tonight, but it is just as obvious how poorly coached Ignatius is. The QB did not have a clue all night, and judging by the players' reactions there were miscommunications all over the place.

The 4th down wildcat run was unbelievable. This was obviously a "kitchen sink" game, and when there could have been a momentum swing that was the best the Ignatius staff came up with. A telegraphed wildcat run that got stuffed.

If Franzinger and staff were decent, that would've shined through at some point. It's not like he is 27. He's 40. He's been on staff for years, and it looks like the team is held together by bubblegum and paper clips.

I just want to state that whoever colincat is - you’re a lemming and part of the problem. He typed a response that must have been deleted, and rightfully so.
For the record, I don’t know the Papesh family but respect the fact that he’s a SENIOR CAPTAIN. That should account for something, and the Ignatius that I remember took things like that into account.
My kids attended Ignatius and I love the place. But losing Kyle has changed it drastically. The daddy ball and booster influence is so damn obvious that it hurts.
The coaches should be ashamed. The administration should be ashamed. The players - especially the juniors and seniors that have busted their for this program - are the ones that are being punished.
It’s embarrassing. Do the right thing and let the seniors that deserve it to finish their Ignatius career as starters.
Holy crap, I found a fellow daddy ball guy!!

I cannot stand the daddy ball types.

Interesting in the amount of new wildcat fans that post compared to 10-20 years ago when it was the same guys posting rarely any new followers joining.

Catfan
IvyCat89
Catmandoo
Cats
Arizonacat
PDC

New wildcat fans, check out the archives threads and read about the early 2000s when Ignatius was dominating the series. It’s a complete change in narrative compared to today.

Unless I missed a late completion, did we really have more dead ball 15 yards (2?) than passing yards (1)? 0-5 in this series last 4 years. And the only fire we see is 15 yards when hitting the running clock.

Maybe there is this great change coming. But it could be just as likely we become Walsh. Thats not a compliment. Even an inept senate league team can get more passing yards. This staff is a joke, not sure how any of this garbage is attracting anyone to suit up.

Just because your a senior doesn't mean you should automatically start

Interesting in the amount of new wildcat fans that post compared to 10-20 years ago when it was the same guys posting rarely any new followers joining.

Catfan
IvyCat89
Catmandoo
Cats
Arizonacat
PDC

New wildcat fans, check out the archives threads and read about the early 2000s when Ignatius was dominating the series. It’s a complete change in narrative compared to today.
As someone who graduated in 97......the change in narrative tracks the constant steady decline in talent and performance, both on field and sidelines

Catfan
IvyCat89
Catmandoo
Cats
Arizonacat
PDC

I'm glad there are new posters, but I do admit I miss the old days. We barely have threads for the biggest games anymore.

I'm glad there are new posters, but I do admit I miss the old days. We barely have threads for the biggest games anymore.
I posted some threads as recent as last year. But, both with the lack of interest, and declining interest in the program in general, and the non competitive nature this year, has been pointless to start one to ask how many TDs we will lose by this week and how many quarters we will go before scoring again

Yes very true, sometimes kyle was loyal to a fault. But, it isnt like it has been any improvement with the change, so, let the guy who won a couple playoff games last year just finish out the disaster year
I totally agree with that if he won some playoff games last year that he definitely should be playing right now.

Unless there are some changes in the program, I fear is that a number of players will choose to concentrate on other sports next year. Take, for example, rugby. The rugby team travels to various parts of the world to play during Spring Break. Last year they competed in Japan. The have been to several countries in Europe, South Africa, and South America. Why would you want to go through another year of misery when you can travel the world and compete on a team that is very successful?

I posted some threads as recent as last year. But, both with the lack of interest, and declining interest in the program in general, and the non competitive nature this year, has been pointless to start one to ask how many TDs we will lose by this week and how many quarters we will go before scoring again
Yeah, I appreciate the work you've put into the threads/posts over the years. I'll admit that I barely post anymore even though I lurk on a weekly basis.

I feel like there are a number of reasons why the yappi community has changed. Online streaming makes it less likely to check yappi for scores, younger people don't uses forums anymore (opting instead for social media, etc.), Ignatius hasn't been "great" since ~2018, overall declining interest in high school football, general lack of local games/rivalries which gets people connected, a lot more out-of-state games making it difficult to attend games, etc.

I'm being an old sentimentalist, but I miss the games against Massillon, McKinley, Warren Harding, Boardman, Glenville, etc. I rarely interact with those posters anymore.

I’m so sick of this crap. Sophomore is 0-7 with a pick. They only bring Papesh in for a sneak from the 1 because the sophomore can’t get in and he scores. Yet they keep putting the sophomore in.
Absolutely ridiculous.
A lot of these comments by you are seriously promoting the senior over the sophomore. I just find it odd because you can’t seriously point to the seniors stats in the past as a reason to start. Kinda seems personal. The sophomore is struggling. But against TCC I saw him complete passes the senior never could.

sometimes it’s ok to get him experience. As an 09 grad. I was a JV a player on a varsity squad that severely struggled. The movement to start Holland, Ryan, Parris, Whitaker, Hinkel, Fox, and the following year Scott Mcvey (who was a sophomore when we were juniors) We’re extremely important to our 08 a
-09state run.

I’m not saying the seniors can’t play, but this development on a dud year is important for the future. Let’s hope it works out.

this season is extremely frustrating for all us cats fans. Let’s hope a bright future is on the rise. As 97 cat mentions, Welo offense is extremely frustrating. Go cats, onto next week

Yeah, I appreciate the work you've put into the threads/posts over the years. I'll admit that I barely post anymore even though I lurk on a weekly basis.

I feel like there are a number of reasons why the yappi community has changed. Online streaming makes it less likely to check yappi for scores, younger people don't uses forums anymore (opting instead for social media, etc.), Ignatius hasn't been "great" since ~2018, overall declining interest in high school football, general lack of local games/rivalries which gets people connected, a lot more out-of-state games making it difficult to attend games, etc.

I'm being an old sentimentalist, but I miss the games against Massillon, McKinley, Warren Harding, Boardman, Glenville, etc. I rarely interact with those posters anymore.

Those days were the best for Ignatius football, and also D-1 football in NEO as a whole. There was nothing like an Ignatius vs big public power game in the 90s through the early 2000s.

Post 08' recession, those ex-urban, industrial communities struggled and never rebounded football wise. Obviously Massillon being the exception but they're a little different, and still had to drop to D-2. Eds figured it out and deserves credit, but big time football just isn't what it was in these parts.

St. Ignatius now leads the series 32-31-1. I think if you look at St. Edward's records they may have it 33-31-1 Wildcats, but that includes the 1950 season that St. Edward regards as their first "Varsity" season, however we only had Herbs and Sophomores that year, and the game was against the Ignatius JV.

I get it. Minus the 5 years we lived in FL, this will likely be the first year of not going to a game. Some of it this year began based on personal things, but the abundance of road games and locations of home games didn't help. Then the performance happened.

I was going to attend the X game in 2 weeks. I highly doubt that happens now. The overall situation is dissapointing

Ignatius basically sent the JV to play the experienced two-time champs. It was embarrassing and ugly.

a once proud program now described with the word “awful.”

Ed's lost to McDowell 23-20 that year.
McDowell had a QB who ran, threw, played safety, covered and tackled, kicked off, kicked field goals and extra points, punted, returned kicks and punts, and was the difference. Went to Edenboro St., if memory serves.

From an outsider's perspective: there are only so many of the traditional Catholic families that were the foundation of Ignatius' success. That's a diminishing number, and an increasing percentage of what remains are choosing St. Ed over Ignatius. Additionally, St. Ed appears to be a bit more "flexible" in their admissions standards. Taken together, that's a large part of the talent gap.

McDowell had a QB who ran, threw, played safety, covered and tackled, kicked off, kicked field goals and extra points, punted, returned kicks and punts, and was the difference. Went to Edenboro St., if memory serves.
Did I miss where this erie school is relevant in any fashion to this current or any Ignatius season? Start a thread for Erie football or McDowell if there is any type of enamorment with that state