2023 St. Ignatius Football

Wildcat97

Since the 2022 campaign has come to a close, might as well start a new thread for next season and the new regime of Zinger.

We all support Zinger.

I believe he knows his own legacy starts now. The Kyle accomplishments are in the past. The program clearly needs a recharge. The Cats are still 3 TDs below their arch-rival, now the premier program in Ohio.

Time for changes. Let's start with getting the plays in before 3 seconds left on the clock. The Ignatius QB has zero chance to adjust to the defense constantly put in a bad spot by the O coordinator.

It was shocking to watch that Friday. Literally would stand around and nor start getting personell and plays going until 10-5 second and then rushing at line. I dont even understand how that became a problem unless you have the wrong coach reading the situation and defense and calling plays

It was shocking to watch that Friday. Literally would stand around and nor start getting personell and plays going until 10-5 second and then rushing at line. I dont even understand how that became a problem unless you have the wrong coach reading the situation and defense and calling plays
And taking that long to call the same 4 plays. Even after time outs it was torture watching the play clock dwindle.

I'd like to see Woidke start next season. The offense would be more dynamic, IMO.

Last edited:
No. 14 improved as a quarterback during the season. No. 5 may get a chance to start next year. Franzinger may not not be as dedicated to the Seniors as Kyle was.

Getting the plays in late has to be the fault of the Defensive Coordinator. Welo may not be back next year.

Unlike Restifo, Welo stays on the field rather than calling plays from the press box.

No. 14 improved as a quarterback during the season. No. 5 may get a chance to start next year. Franzinger may not not be as dedicated to the Seniors as Kyle was.

Getting the plays in late has to be the fault of the Defensive Coordinator. Welo may not be back next year.

Unlike Restifo, Welo stays on the field rather than calling plays from the press box.
I agree 14 improved but 5 has a greater upside, IMO.

Welo is in the pressbox.

How is #5 as a passer?
Hard to tell this season as he had a torn labrum, although in his non-throwing shoulder, which was surgically addressed after the St. Ed's game. He had success as a freshman. #5 is the better runner.
The freshman Frontino may have the best arm of the 3.

Hard to tell this season as he had a torn labrum, although in his non-throwing shoulder, which was surgically addressed after the St. Ed's game. He had success as a freshman. #5 is the better runner.
The freshman Frontino may have the best arm of the 3.
It will be interesting to see how the QB position shakes out.

Will #5 want to wait to start one season? Will Frontino?

What I have so far:
CLEVELAND ST. IGNATIUS
1 - @ Springfield
2 - @ Mentor
3 - (H) Pittsburgh Central Catholic
4 - @ Austintown Fitch
5 - (H) Akron Hoban
6 - @ Toledo Central Catholic
7 - @ Lakewood St. Edward
8 - @ Cincinnati Moeller
9 - (H) Cincinnati St. Xavier

Last edited:
What I have so far:
CLEVELAND ST. IGNATIUS
1 - @ Springfield
2 - @ Mentor
5 - (H) Akron Hoban
6 - @ Toledo Central Catholic
7 - @ Lakewood St. Edward
9 - (H) Cincinnati St. Xavier
Still playing Springfield? I assumed it was a 2 year deal

That schedule is already a tad insane with more games to come
I am an advocate for teams to play good schedules. But Ignatius (IMHO) needs to lighten it up a bit. There is a thing as overkill and too strong a schedule. Just from a physical point of view. That schedule is beyond brutal and too much IMHO.