2023 St. Edward Football

Until Friday night, the record of seven consecutive wins in D1 championship game appearances (1988-89, 1991-95) was held by St. Ignatius alone. Now the Eagles have tied that record (2010, 2014-15, 2018, 2021-23). Moeller is next with five (1975-77, 1979-80).

Their total championship tally is: Wildcats 11, Crusaders 9 and Eagles 7. Ignatius has won the most consecutive championships at five (1991-95).

Chris Williams
I see Chris Williams, Frank Edmonds, and now Brandon White as Ed's "Big Three." But as sophomores, Brandon is far and away the Eagles' best ever. His run beginning with his 262 yards vs. Moeller week 9, and capped off with 256, 242 and 235 in the regional championship, semi-final and championship games, surpasses all Ed's RB achievements, even Chris Williams' 1,000 yard 16-td playoff performance in 1986. Chris was a senior that year.

Throw in the 125 yd performance against Hoban week 10, including a 10-carry (of 11 plays), 77 yds (of 90) final game-winning scoring drive, and we just witnessed a legendary performance.

Cole Gest, I believe, had 2 200-yard games; Brandon already has 4 games over 235 yards! As a sophomore! If he stays relatively healthy, and given that he'll never again run behind a line like this year, he nevertheless may do extraordinary things.

In the October 26th Worthy of the Jersey podcast, Coach Lombardo provided this very eye-opening perspective that caught my attention:

“I remember in 2018, I looked at Colerain. I guarantee you, if we play Cincinnati Colerain ten times, they’d beat us nine. We beat them the one time we had to. You take everyone’s best shot just that one time. They were steamrolling everybody. They were loaded. Five of those kids started on Cincinnati against Alabama in the playoffs a couple of years ago. That team was loaded and we caught ‘em.”

Along those lines, there is a Colerain audio broadcast of the 2018 championship game available on YouTube. (They got away with pointing their camera at the scoreboard which was showing live video action.) As the second half unfolded, the Colerain broadcasters began expressing shock about two things. First, that Colerain's potent triple-option offense was unable to break any big plays against the Eagles. Second, that the Cardinal’s coach stubbornly continued to try to pound their star running back, Ivan Pace, right up the middle; they kept venting their frustration by saying something like, “I appreciate what the coach is trying to do, but it isn’t working. We have to try something different.”

In case you’re interested, here is a link to that broadcast:
Great find. I hadn't seen this before. Lots of respect for the way Colerain's broadcast crew called that game -- in addition to the Eagles' performance, of course.

Do we need to let time pass before talking four-peat chances? I know we have great Seniors, but there were Juniors/Sophomores out there contributing at a high level.
Hey, as long as the parochial schools keep doing what they do, legally, I know, and compete with publics the sky's the limit for you.

Do we need to let time pass before talking four-peat chances? I know we have great Seniors, but there were Juniors/Sophomores out there contributing at a high level.
Never too early. Offensively, Prementine (RG), Soltis (C), White (RB) and Hackleman (WR) are back. Csanyi obviously got plenty of reps at QB and looked promising as a passer. On the defense, Woods (DT), Gregory (LB) and Eaton (DB) return. Aydin Buchanan (S) saw a lot of time in the secondary this year and played well. Same with Behlen Waugh (OLB/DE). Yon German would be my guess to replace Slaper at the other inside LB spot. Mason Wilhelm could be at DT or also on the OL. Moyer returns as the kicker.

A 4-peat will be a tall task with the amount of talent we are graduating, but I don't know that there is a clear favorite in D1. Eagles will be in the mix for sure.

Never too early. Offensively, Prementine (RG), Soltis (C), White (RB) and Hackleman (WR) are back. Csanyi obviously got plenty of reps at QB and looked promising as a passer. On the defense, Woods (DT), Gregory (LB) and Eaton (DB) return. Aydin Buchanan (S) saw a lot of time in the secondary this year and played well. Same with Behlen Waugh (OLB/DE). Yon German would be my guess to replace Slaper at the other inside LB spot. Mason Wilhelm could be at DT or also on the OL. Moyer returns as the kicker.

A 4-peat will be a tall task with the amount of talent we are graduating, but I don't know that there is a clear favorite in D1. Eagles will be in the mix for sure.
It seems to me that a season like 2018 or 2021 will have to come together for the Eagles to have a chance. Tom's had a knack for gradually improving a team, and getting it to peak in the playoffs. Those were not star-laden teams, and this year graduation losses will be heavy. How were the JV and freshmen squads this year?

It seems to me that a season like 2018 or 2021 will have to come together for the Eagles to have a chance. Tom's had a knack for gradually improving a team, and getting it to peak in the playoffs. Those were not star-laden teams, and this year graduation losses will be heavy. How were the JV and freshmen squads this year?

JV and Freshman Gold each had one loss. JV had a couple ties. Numbers very low on the JV team. The best of that class is playing up on varsity.

First off, incredible run by the class of 2024! Springfield gave us some fits and they hung tough and kept their composure to win #7. The St. Ed's football program should now be counted with Moeller and Ignatius as a dynasty in Division 1 and one with a track record we haven't seen since St. Ignatius in the early to mid 90s.

I don't think you can say enough about the coaches, they keep finding ways to get the best out of all of their players and put them in positions to succeed. There was also definitely a pressure on this team all year where anything that ended as less that a state championship was going to be a failure and they figured out a way to navigate all of those expectations.

Plenty of returning players and guys who have waited their turn to play significant reps. Enjoy this Eagle High!

First off, incredible run by the class of 2024! Springfield gave us some fits and they hung tough and kept their composure to win #7. The St. Ed's football program should now be counted with Moeller and Ignatius as a dynasty in Division 1 and one with a track record we haven't seen since St. Ignatius in the early to mid 90s.

I don't think you can say enough about the coaches, they keep finding ways to get the best out of all of their players and put them in positions to succeed. There was also definitely a pressure on this team all year where anything that ended as less that a state championship was going to be a failure and they figured out a way to navigate all of those expectations.

Plenty of returning players and guys who have waited their turn to play significant reps. Enjoy this Eagle High!
O will be fine. Two OL, QB, RB and WR with experience complemented by a fine JV squad. D will need to replace bodies, but three able bodied returners should help with the transition in 2024. This staff will impress the young men in the off season to prepare for next summer and fall.

Go Eagles!

This link is to a video replay of Saturdays Eagles' basketball game against Lakewood on Saturday:

At halftime, Adam Mendoza interviewed Casey Bullock on camera, beginning at the 50:45 mark of the video. In the interview, Bullock stressed how grateful he is to be a part of the team and the St. Edward community. Casey comes across as a polite, soft-spoken and humble young man. He is also senior class president at St. Edward. Its my understanding that he has a 4.4 GPA. His future at Davidson College and beyond seems very promising.

What impressed me most about Bullock was his exceptional ball skills - did an excellent job holding the zone read handoffs in place until the absolute last second and fooled the tv cameras when he pulled the ball more than once. Great fit for the Eagle offense.

What impressed me most about Bullock was his exceptional ball skills - did an excellent job holding the zone read handoffs in place until the absolute last second and fooled the tv cameras when he pulled the ball more than once. Great fit for the Eagle offense.
A healthy Bullock would have completed this O in 2023. His read option skills would have complemented White's ball running ability as the season matured and his legs would have given opposing D's fits when trying to solve the Eagle offense. It was great to see him complete his senior year with a championship. He earned it.

Go eagles!

Joe Portale and Steve Schmitz were great running backs in the mid 70s. The 80s had a revolving door of great backs! Farmer, Mobley, Andrews, Williams. Barile and Lepore were on the '96 team together and pretty good. Stover and Edmonds highlight the 2000s but Adkins was a tough runner on the '03 team, extremely physical. Bates, Terrell, Castleberry, Gest, Szelesta, Formani, all really good in the 2010s. Definitely would put Gest at the top of that group. Enovitch and now White. The standard has historically been excellent at Ed's when it comes to running backs. I think I'd say:

Williams
Stover
Portale
Edmonds
White

White has a chance to be the best though considering he is only a sophomore and should only get bigger, stronger and faster. In thinking of running backs, I was also thinking about great o-lines at Eagle High. '04 had Alex Boone (OSU), Joe Thomas (Pitt), Wisneski (Johns Hopkins), Ruggiero (Ashland or Walsh? I forget). 2010 had Kalis (Michigan), Mogus (Northwestern), Orlosky (West Virginia), Rivera (Penn). This year of course Roebuck (Michigan) and the Armstrongs (OSU).

Sehs, Marvin Bell between Enovitch and White deserves to be remembered. Good list. They've usually had a guy.

I don't know that any have been a significant contender for Mr. Football since the award was created. But I think Joe Portale would have been a contender in '75. He was a really headline gatherer on that team. Maybe Chris Williams, too. Was Raishaun Stover considered? He probably deserved it.

I bring it up because Brandon White has possible the kind of multi-year resume' that Mr. Football usually requires. Marquise Davis is the early leader for 2024. Can Brandon be the guy the year after?

Congratulations to the 16 Eagles named to the Division I Football All-Ohio Team:

All-Ohio Eagles.jpg

I bring it up because Brandon White has possible the kind of multi-year resume' that Mr. Football usually requires. Marquise Davis is the early leader for 2024. Can Brandon be the guy the year after?
I know there's an asterisk on Brandon's stats this year considering he had a Big Ten offensive line blocking in front. But a sophomore RB having over 1000 yards rushing in the playoffs alone is pretty impressive regardless of the strength of the OL.

If he continues to play the way he did this year, there's no doubt he is in the discussion if not the early favorite in 2025.

It goes to your point about Tom's ability to get these guys to play at such a high level. Nobody really knew Brandon White before the year, now he's the centerpiece of the team offensively.

16 players listed on the D1 All-Ohio team.

16. I’ve been following this game since the mid 80s, and I can’t ever remember seeing so many names off one team being All-Ohio. (And that includes all the Ignatius teams)

I think Eds is doing well in the loaded and talent department. Wow.

I know there's an asterisk on Brandon's stats this year considering he had a Big Ten offensive line blocking in front. But a sophomore RB having over 1000 yards rushing in the playoffs alone is pretty impressive regardless of the strength of the OL.

If he continues to play the way he did this year, there's no doubt he is in the discussion if not the early favorite in 2025.

It goes to your point about Tom's ability to get these guys to play at such a high level. Nobody really knew Brandon White before the year, now he's the centerpiece of the team offensively.

No asterisk for me. The kid’s yards after contact were incredible. The TD against Springfield where he spun out of the tackle when he was wrapped up kind of epitomizes his running ability. Not sure if he’s one of those kids that is tapped out as far as size or if he hits another growth spurt, but he will certainly get stronger over the next few years and have a chance at a special high school career.

White is really good but he didn’t get touched until the second level a huge percentage of the time he was handed the ball.

Sehs, Marvin Bell between Enovitch and White deserves to be remembered. Good list. They've usually had a guy.

I don't know that any have been a significant contender for Mr. Football since the award was created. But I think Joe Portale would have been a contender in '75. He was a really headline gatherer on that team. Maybe Chris Williams, too. Was Raishaun Stover considered? He probably deserved it.

If memory serves right, Stover was maybe a finalist his senior year but Maurice Clarett won it (deservedly so).

16 players listed on the D1 All-Ohio team.

16. I’ve been following this game since the mid 80s, and I can’t ever remember seeing so many names off one team being All-Ohio. (And that includes all the Ignatius teams)

I think Eds is doing well in the loaded and talent department.

No asterisk for me. The kid’s yards after contact were incredible. The TD against Springfield where he spun out of the tackle when he was wrapped up kind of epitomizes his running ability. Not sure if he’s one of those kids that is tapped out as far as size or if he hits another growth spurt, but he will certainly get stronger over the next few years and have a chance at a special high school career.
I'm encouraged by White's off-season training regimen. He's going to put in the work, with top-flight trainers, to maximize his talent. Hope he stays healthy. He carried 40 times against Hilliard Bradley, 32 times against both Moeller and Springfield, 25 times against Hoban. At least Moeller and Hoban are pretty rugged defenses. Tom's not afraid to run him. And he bounces back quickly -- like the next day! But it only takes one awkward twist or turn and everything can change. But so far, he's proven to be very durable. Whatever the St. Ed's records for career rushing numbers are, they are in jeopardy.

I'm encouraged by White's off-season training regimen. He's going to put in the work, with top-flight trainers, to maximize his talent. Hope he stays healthy. He carried 40 times against Hilliard Bradley, 32 times against both Moeller and Springfield, 25 times against Hoban. At least Moeller and Hoban are pretty rugged defenses. Tom's not afraid to run him. And he bounces back quickly -- like the next day! But it only takes one awkward twist or turn and everything can change. But so far, he's proven to be very durable. Whatever the St. Ed's records for career rushing numbers are, they are in jeopardy.
You’re encouraged? Was there a doubt?