2023 St. Edward Football

What a game! St. Edward scored the winning points on a 29-yard field goal by Kellen Moyer for the 34-33 victory with just six seconds left on the clock. Elder’s offense was outstanding and very efficient. Eds offense was also exceptional, except for the fumbles (2, one lost) and interception.

The Eagles have some work to do for the Massillon game next week – particularly cutting down on the turnovers and penalties (10 for 125 yards, several of which were of the personal foul/unsportsmanlike conduct variety) and stiffening its defense (Elder scored 4 TDs and only punted twice). Also, QB Casey Bullock sustained an ankle injury with 8 minutes left in the game and did not return. In his place, Thomas Cheney did a really nice job of engineering St. Edward’s final drive, which culminated in the winning field goal.

Here are some stats, as provided by Elder’s broadcast team:

View attachment 46282
*Csanyi

Thanks for correcting my spelling error. Thomas Csanyi engineered the winning drive. It sounded to me like "Cheney" when the Eds announcer said he was replacing Bullock at QB. I should have checked the roster.

You heard it right. I believe that’s the pronunciation.

What a game! St. Edward scored the winning points on a 29-yard field goal by Kellen Moyer for the 34-33 victory with just six seconds left on the clock. Elder’s offense was outstanding and very efficient. Eds offense was also exceptional, except for the fumbles (2, one lost) and interception.

The Eagles have some work to do for the Massillon game next week – particularly cutting down on the turnovers and penalties (10 for 125 yards, several of which were of the personal foul/unsportsmanlike conduct variety) and stiffening its defense (Elder scored 4 TDs and only punted twice). Also, QB Casey Bullock sustained an ankle injury with 8 minutes left in the game and did not return. In his place, Thomas Cheney did a really nice job of engineering St. Edward’s final drive, which culminated in the winning field goal.

Here are some stats, as provided by Elder’s broadcast team:

View attachment 46282
Uh oh, they can kick field goals too!!!

Ed's escapes with a win, although not unscathed. I hope Bullock is alright. Csyani came into a difficult situation and was lights out though, ran and threw well when the team needed it. Slaper's kick return was huge. Defensively, Elder made us work as they always do. It seemed like they were always in rhythm and we struggled forcing them into negative plays. When they needed a stop, they got it to force Elder's FG with 2 minutes left.

The penalties and turnovers remind us that we are still very much a work in progress. The Panthers were given short fields to start the game and we were in a hole from the onset. The first road game couldn't have been in a tougher environment and I think that had a lot to do with the penalties. Emotions were running high and calls going against us seemed to bother the players and coaches more than they should have. The fact remains that with a lot seemingly going Elder's way, Ed's found a way to win and executed extremely well in those last 2 minutes to do so. Sophomore kicker with the game winner! You can never replicate that in practice and it is good that he nailed a kick when it counted, that will engineer a ton of trust moving forward.

Similar scenario as we travel to Massillon next week. I am sure the Tigers will be out in full force.

What am i missing about Moeller in the 2 spot?
Perhaps it's still early in the season so the algorithm may still be factoring in last year. Margin of victory and SOS might also be considered.

But yeah, putting them at #2 seems a bit puzzling.

What am i missing about Moeller in the 2 spot?
I think it has something to do with how out-of-state opponents are calculated (or not calculated) into the algorithm. With Moeller playing four Indiana teams thus far, it may be possible they are still holding onto their preseason ranking.

The new Drew Pasteur’s Division I rankings put Moeller (1-3) at #1 and St. Edward (4-0) at #2. That seems very odd, especially since:
  • the Eagles have beaten Center Grove and Our Lady of Good Counsel by an average of 19 points (Pasteur puts both in the “Roughly national top 100” category), Rock Creek Christian (Pasteur includes them in the “Would be in Ohio top 50”) and Elder (Pasteur has them at #9 in the Fantastic 50 rankings)
  • the Crusaders have lost to Ben Davis, East Central and Center Grove by an average of more than 10 points (Pasteur puts all three in the “Roughly national top 100” category) and defeated only Bishop Dwenger (Pasteur shows them in the “Would be above average in Ohio D3” category)
  • the two teams have faced one common opponent, Center Grove. St. Edward beat them 27-10, while Moeller lost to them 35-34 in OT)
I guess it doesn’t really matter. Things will be sorted out in Pasteur’s rankings and, more importantly, on the field of play as the season progresses. Nonetheless, Pasteur’s algorithm giving the Crusaders the nod over the Eagles right now seems kind of curious.

By the way, I have no problem with Pasteur’s Fantastic 50 putting Toledo Central Catholic (#1), Hoban (#3) and Massillon (#4) ahead of St. Edward (#5). But Moeller at #2???

Lost in the defensive struggles, penalties and Bullock's injury, sophomore Brandon White had a breakout performance leading the Eagles rushing attack against Elder. I believe he logged more carries than Groudle and could see an even more expanded role moving forward. The last sophomore RB I remember making a varsity impact was Frankie Edmunds nearly twenty years ago. White's ability to make guys miss in tight quarters and his pass-catching ability set him apart from anything else we have. Maybe Kegarise saw the writing on the wall as well when he transferred after camp.

Lost in the defensive struggles, penalties and Bullock's injury, sophomore Brandon White had a breakout performance leading the Eagles rushing attack against Elder. I believe he logged more carries than Groudle and could see an even more expanded role moving forward. The last sophomore RB I remember making a varsity impact was Frankie Edmunds nearly twenty years ago. White's ability to make guys miss in tight quarters and his pass-catching ability set him apart from anything else we have. Maybe Kegarise saw the writing on the wall as well when he transferred after camp.
Brandon White definitely had a breakout performance. He had 16 carries for 134 yards (8.4 yards per carry) and 2 TDs, while catching 3 passes for 38 yards and a touchdown.

I’ve been watching St.Ed’s game for years in Florida on Box cast with no problem Hudl sucks last week I joined put my credit card number in and still could’ve get the game. Then it sent me to a site called relax something and they wanted to charge me $49 a month if I didn’t unsubscribe but nowhere to do so on the site so I cancelled my card now they won’t let me join..

Almost some flashes of 2014 going on where we lost two in a row before running the table, but we escaped the Pit this year and got bit in Massillon. It’s no secret at this point with Casey on the sidelines with crutches that Csayni is the man for the foreseeable future. Talk about birth by fire. Hats off to the kid for coming in to lead a comeback win against Elder last week and fighting until the end tonight. He wasn’t asked to make many easy throws tonight but he kept firing it down field and giving his receivers a shot.

Now on to the negatives. Was a three man front and light box the best way to attack a team with the best mobile QB we are likely to see this year? Uh, no. Compounding the disadvantage we were putting ourselves in in terms of matching man for man, it seemed like anytime we were in position to make a TFL we had a guy whiff or get stiff armed. Been a little bit since I can recall two poor defensive games in a row with no adjustments. That being said, the defense did force turnovers and give the offense multiple opportunities to capitalize. But they couldn’t. Massillon beat us thoroughly at the LOS. Should never happen with the beef we have up front. We couldn’t get a yard on multiple occasions when we absolutely needed it. Play calling left a lot to be desired. I thought Lombardo lost the game for us when he called a pass play on second down and about 5 that led to a bad interception when we were finally running it down their throats. Excecution was not great tonight, but this one is on the staff.

Almost some flashes of 2014 going on where we lost two in a row before running the table, but we escaped the Pit this year and got bit in Massillon. It’s no secret at this point with Casey on the sidelines with crutches that Csayni is the man for the foreseeable future. Talk about birth by fire. Hats off to the kid for coming in to lead a comeback win against Elder last week and fighting until the end tonight. He wasn’t asked to make many easy throws tonight but he kept firing it down field and giving his receivers a shot.

Now on to the negatives. Was a three man front and light box the best way to attack a team with the best mobile QB we are likely to see this year? Uh, no. Compounding the disadvantage we were putting ourselves in in terms of matching man for man, it seemed like anytime we were in position to make a TFL we had a guy whiff or get stiff armed. Been a little bit since I can recall two poor defensive games in a row with no adjustments. That being said, the defense did force turnovers and give the offense multiple opportunities to capitalize. But they couldn’t. Massillon beat us thoroughly at the LOS. Should never happen with the beef we have up front. We couldn’t get a yard on multiple occasions when we absolutely needed it. Play calling left a lot to be desired. I thought Lombardo lost the game for us when he called a pass play on second down and about 5 that led to a bad interception when we were finally running it down their throats. Excecution was not great tonight, but this one is on the staff.
At least you have a quality staff, scored more than 0, are 4-1, and actually win titles and are there competing for them every year. I am jealous of a bad defensive that only yields 15 points

How times have changed

I wonder if privately the 2010 team was lighting cigars last night. J/k.

Back to the drawing board. Definitely out-schemed last night. I'd think the team will bounce back

I wonder if privately the 2010 team was lighting cigars last night. J/k.

Back to the drawing board. Definitely out-schemed last night. I'd think the team will bounce back
That 2010 Oline team had a mean streak this team simply does not. That Oline mauled ppl , last night our studs got out leveraged we supposedly have an all world Oline and Massillon rushed for dam near 300 yards on us it was embarrassing.

The staff made zero adjustments, and thought they could march out there just win because of the talent. That’s why we play the game.

The pistol / gun , option read won’t be effective without a running qb plain and simple.

I’d love to see an I formation with both RBs being utilized….

how about some easy middle of the field drags , slant short routes for a young qb.

We lost every facet of that game last night I hope it humbled the staff and players.

The poor offensive line play aside, I can understand not being able to reinvent the wheel in less than a weeks time. The defensive approach and execution, however, is a tougher pill to swallow. We can look at the points scored and say they only gave up 15, but at what point did you have confidence we could stop what they were doing (and what everyone watching the game knew they were doing)? Bad angles, arm tackles, diving at ankles. These guys are better than how they’ve played lately.

Curious if anyone from Ed's can describe the Bullock injury, how serious it is and ballpark his return, if indeed you expect him to return? Csanyi performed admirably for his first start, being under serious duress and in an intensely hostile environment. From the late 4th quarter at Elder to PBTS, talk about two baptisms by fire. That 40 yard 4th down completion Friday could have rivaled the "3rd and 30" Brian Gamble play in the Rubber Bowl in 2005 had the Eagles attempted the field goal from the 12 yard line the previous possession. And his connection with Brian Sullivan for the late score was impressive by both guys. Sullivan's vertical ability gives another type of weapon to balance the slasher abilities of Kyan Mason, if the coaches learn how to use it. It seemed to be an invention of desperation, not a kind of pro-active strategy to build drives as a possession receiver. Also, is Balogh ok? Seemed to be somewhat missing-in-action.

Not saying the Eagles can't retrench and develop a new offensive identity with Csanyi, he has some talent. But until they do, getting a three-peat seems like a tough proposition. I'd suggest the Eagles are a couple touchdowns better with a healthy all-state state champion Casey Bullock, as he's one of the slickest option qb's we've seen in high school football in a while. Shades of Shaun Carney.

The poor offensive line play aside, I can understand not being able to reinvent the wheel in less than a weeks time. The defensive approach and execution, however, is a tougher pill to swallow. We can look at the points scored and say they only gave up 15, but at what point did you have confidence we could stop what they were doing (and what everyone watching the game knew they were doing)? Bad angles, arm tackles, diving at ankles. These guys are better than how they’ve played lately.
Coach Pappas told me Friday before the game that the defensive performance at Elder was "our worst since before covid." I imagine there is a lot to address and, when they do, it'll include using a mirror.

Curious if anyone from Ed's can describe the Bullock injury, how serious it is and ballpark his return, if indeed you expect him to return? Csanyi performed admirably for his first start, being under serious duress and in an intensely hostile environment. From the late 4th quarter at Elder to PBTS, talk about two baptisms by fire. That 40 yard 4th down completion Friday could have rivaled the "3rd and 30" Brian Gamble play in the Rubber Bowl in 2005 had the Eagles attempted the field goal from the 12 yard line the previous possession. And his connection with Brian Sullivan for the late score was impressive by both guys. Sullivan's vertical ability gives another type of weapon to balance the slasher abilities of Kyan Mason, if the coaches learn how to use it. It seemed to be an invention of desperation, not a kind of pro-active strategy to build drives as a possession receiver. Also, is Balogh ok? Seemed to be somewhat missing-in-action.

Not saying the Eagles can't retrench and develop a new offensive identity with Csanyi, he has some talent. But until they do, getting a three-peat seems like a tough proposition. I'd suggest the Eagles are a couple touchdowns better with a healthy all-state state champion Casey Bullock, as he's one of the slickest option qb's we've seen in high school football in a while. Shades of Shaun Carney.
Rumor is dislocated knee cap, he might be done for the year but not 100% sure

there’s no reason this team can’t run the table . Run a more traditional offense , we honestly don’t have a lot of playmakers and Kayan got banged up.

should be lining up in the I formation with our Oline if the QB doesn’t wanna run.

it’s a complete waste of our Oline to not and force feed our pistol option.

defense better get it together bad tackling , bad penalties and bad coaching honestly.

Good assessment. Cysani (sp.?) can throw the ball well enough. It is one thing to come in in the heat of the game with a simplified game plan with less than 2 minutes and its quite another to have to prepare all week and know that you are the guy. I think he will be fine. He made some nice throws, he made some mistakes. Even with the defense looking a little gashed at times, they only gave up 15 points. I agree that I'm not sold on the 3 man line. It seemed the Tigers blew holes through it at times and when they would bring in extra help they would hit the receivers in the flat. I also felt that we did not tackle well. Part of that is Massillon's qb was incredibly shifty and he seemed to know what spots to run to when it was there, incredibly decisive with that. I wouldn't hate seeing us run more power stuff or at least work it in, we have a big O-line with a couple good running backs and if we don't trust or the quarterback does not run the ball well then we are losing the "option" part of the read-option.

All this being said, we had our chances. I expect the qb to clean up some decisions like the 3rd quarter INT on the screen and making throws at game speed. That will come from film work and more reps. I also think this was the wake up call the highly touted line needed. 4th and 1 at the beginning of the 4th quarter was the play I wish we had back but it was also set up by not converting on 3rd and short right at the end of the 3rd. Both of those plays needed the line to assert itself and they got stuffed both times. Massillon found a wrinkle to exploit and executed well and going for 2 put the pressure so credit to their coach for making the gutsy call.

The Eagles will have time to work on some things but the hoopla is over and that's not necessarily a bad thing. We are still a good team and this loss should bring the goals more into focus. They should have a great week of practice and get better.

Good assessment. Cysani (sp.?) can throw the ball well enough. It is one thing to come in in the heat of the game with a simplified game plan with less than 2 minutes and its quite another to have to prepare all week and know that you are the guy. I think he will be fine. He made some nice throws, he made some mistakes. Even with the defense looking a little gashed at times, they only gave up 15 points. I agree that I'm not sold on the 3 man line. It seemed the Tigers blew holes through it at times and when they would bring in extra help they would hit the receivers in the flat. I also felt that we did not tackle well. Part of that is Massillon's qb was incredibly shifty and he seemed to know what spots to run to when it was there, incredibly decisive with that. I wouldn't hate seeing us run more power stuff or at least work it in, we have a big O-line with a couple good running backs and if we don't trust or the quarterback does not run the ball well then we are losing the "option" part of the read-option.

All this being said, we had our chances. I expect the qb to clean up some decisions like the 3rd quarter INT on the screen and making throws at game speed. That will come from film work and more reps. I also think this was the wake up call the highly touted line needed. 4th and 1 at the beginning of the 4th quarter was the play I wish we had back but it was also set up by not converting on 3rd and short right at the end of the 3rd. Both of those plays needed the line to assert itself and they got stuffed both times. Massillon found a wrinkle to exploit and executed well and going for 2 put the pressure so credit to their coach for making the gutsy call.

The Eagles will have time to work on some things but the hoopla is over and that's not necessarily a bad thing. We are still a good team and this loss should bring the goals more into focus. They should have a great week of practice and get better.
Csanyi is not the runner Bullock is (not many are), but he is no stiff either. He has some runs on his JV film. I think we were being extra cautious in choosing not to run him against Massillon and risk yet another injury to the QB position. When it became apparent (early on) that there was not going to be a run threat from the QB, Massillon played accordingly (and played well). I do think we see him run more often moving forward and figure out the right balance as we head into some big matchups in weeks 9, 10 and the playoffs. I expect a physical week of practice ahead for the defense.