2023 Senior World Championships

Yankeefan33

Thought I would start a thread (a bit earlier than usual) on Senior Worlds this year because UWW posted an entry list today for men's freestyle. We now have projected entry lists for all three styles, although Russia has not entered their wrestlers for men's freestyle or women's freestyle yet. Wrestling will take place in Belgrade, Serbie on September 16th-24th, with men's freestyle first, followed by women's freestyle and greco. I'll be posting weight-by-weight breakdowns over the next couple weeks, along with any other info I think might be interesting.

USA Team:

Men's Freestyle:
57kg- Zane Richards- Illinois, 2x All-American, 1st senior world team
61kg- Vito Arujau- Cornell, 3x All-American, National Champion, 1st senior world team
65kg- Nick Lee- Penn State, 4x All-American, 2x National Champion, 1st senior world team
70kg- Zain Retherford- Penn State, 4x All-American, 3x National Champion, 4th senior world team (2022 silver medal)
74kg- Kyle Dake- Cornell, 4x All-American, 4x National Champion, 6th senior world team (4x gold, 1x bronze)
79kg- Chance Marsteller- Lock Haven, 2x All-American, 1st senior world team
86kg- David Taylor- Penn State, 4x All-American, 2x National Champion, 5th senior world team (3x gold, 1x silver)
92kg- Zahid Valencia- Arizona State, 3x All-American, 2x National Champion, 1st senior world team
97kg- Kyle Snyder- Ohio State, 4x All-American, 3x National Champion, 9th senior world team (4x gold, 3x silver, 1x bronze)
125kg- Gable Steveson- Minnesota, 3x All-American, 2x National Champion, 2nd senior world team (2021 Olympic champ)

Women's Freestyle:
50kg-Sarah Hildebrandt- 7th senior world team (2x silver, 2x bronze)
53kg- Dominique Parrish- 2nd senior world team (2022 world champ)
55kg- Jacarra Winchester- 5th senior world team (2019 world champ)
57kg- Helen Maroulis- 13th senior world team (4x gold, 2x silver, 1x bronze
62kg- Kayla Miracle- 5th senior world team (2x silver)
65kg- Macey Kilty- 1st senior world team
68kg- Emma Bruntil- 1st senior world team
72kg- Amit Elor- 2nd senior world team (2022 world champ)
76kg- Adeline Gray- 12th senior world team (6x gold, 1x silver, 2x bronze)

Men's Greco:
55kg- Brady Koontz- Ohio State, 1st senior world team
60kg- Ildar Hafizov- 8th senior world team (5th for USA)
63kg- Xavier Johnson- 1st senior world team
67kg- Alejandro Sancho- 3rd senior world team
72kg- Patrick Smith- 4th senior world team
77kg- Kamal Bey- 3rd senior world team
82kg- Spencer Woods- 2nd senior world team
87kg- Zachary Braunagel- Illinois, 1st senior world team
97kg- Joe Rau- 3rd senior world team
130kg- Cohlton Schultz- Arizona State, 3x All-American, 3rd senior world team

India won't be able to compete under their flag(some trouble with their federation atm). They will be listed under the UWW flag. And of course Russia and Belarus will be listed as AIN..

Draws mean everything and the AIN (and others) have no seeding points and will be drawn randomly in the bracket. Is that correct @Yankeefan33

Gold, Silver, Bronze in the six Olympic weights (57kg, 65kg, 74kg, 86kg, 97kg, and 125kg) qualify for Paris. The two losers in the bronze medal matches wrestle off to get the 5th spot.

There are also five other qualifications tourneys.
March 01-03: Pan-American - Acapulco, Mexico
March 22-24: African and Oceania - Cairo, Egypt
April 04-07: European - Baku, Azerbaijan
April 19-21: Asian - Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
May 09-12: World Olympic Qualifier, Istanbul, Turkey

LETS GO USA! 🇺🇸

Draws mean everything and the AIN (and others) have no seeding points and will be drawn randomly in the bracket. Is that correct @Yankeefan33

Gold, Silver, Bronze in the six Olympic weights (57kg, 65kg, 74kg, 86kg, 97kg, and 125kg) qualify for Paris. The two losers in the bronze medal matches wrestle off to get the 5th spot.

LETS GO USA! 🇺🇸
That's my understanding, yes. Russia hasn't competed in quite some time, they don't have any seeding points. Snyder v Sadulaev could very well be R1.

Also, four qualifiers from worlds at each weight is a change from previous years. Before, just making the bronze match guaranteed you a quota spot at the Olympics. Now, you will need to either win that match or beat the other bronze medal loser to gain that Olympic spot for your country.

57kg:
Zaur Uguev (Russia)- 2020 Olympic champ, 2019 World champ, 2018 World champ
Aryan Tsiutryn (Bulgaria)- 2021 World 3rd
Zelimkhan Abakarov (Albania)- 2022 World champ
Arsen Harutyunyan (Armenia)- 2021 World 3rd, 2022 U23 champ, 2021 U23 champ
Aliabbas Rzazade (Azerbaijan)- 2023 Euro champ, 2021 U23 champ
Aman Aman (India)- 2022 U23 champ
Yuto Nishiuchi (Japan)- 2023 U20 champ, 2022 U20 champ
Rei Higuchi (Japan)- 2022 World champ, 2018 U23 champ, 2016 Olympic 2nd
Zanabazar Zandanbud (Mongolia)- 2022 World 3rd
Suleyman ATLI (TUR), 2019 World 2nd, 2018 World 3rd, 2018 U20 champ

I'll be writing these mini-previews with the expectation that Russia will wrestle. I'll also guess the winner of Russian nationals in June (with the exception of 74kg and 97kg) will be the representative.

57kg has been dominated by one man the past five years- Zaur Uguev of Russia. After missing the last two world championships he will make his return at worlds this year, joining last year's world champ in Abakarov (Albania) and the 61kg world champ Higuchi (Japan), who is moving down from 61kg to qualify the weight. I think Uguev is the favorite over both of them, but their offense can score on Uguev, who may be rusty after years away from world competiition. Expect those three, along with Rzazade (Azerbaijan) to be the four medal favorites.

Zane Richards is not someone I have much confidence qualifying the weight here. He has competed twice this year- taking 5th in February at the Zagreb Open (losing to Aman and Japan's backup) and taking 3rd in Hungary last month (losing to Smanbekov of Kazakhstan, who is registered). Maybe with a good draw he can sneak a couple of wins, but pitted against anybody listed above I have limited faith in competing.

Prediction: Gold- Uguev, Silver- Abakarov, Bronzes- Higuchi, Rzazade

Last edited:
57, 65, 74, 86, 97, and 125 are the most important weights in MFS this tournament, as those results tie to Olympic qualification. It is to our benefit to qualify the weights directly here, the second best outcome is that other Pan-American countries qualify directly where we don't.

61kg:
Reza Ahmadali Atrinagharchi (Iran)- 2022 World 2nd
Arsen Harutyunyan (Armenia)- 2023 Euro champ
Narankhuu Narmandakh (Mongolia)- 2022 World 3rd
Stevan Andria Micic (Serbia)- 2022 World 3rd
Abasgadzhi Magomedov (Russia)- 2021 World champ, 2018 U20 champ

A very common thread you will see is the total mess the non-Olympic weights are. 95% of countries that compete don't have the depth to send an elite wrestler to a non-Olympic weight in a year that qualifies athletes for the Olympics. I would even expect someone like Micic to enter at 57kg instead of the listed 61kg, since Serbia would love an extra Olympian over a world bronze medal. I think Magomedov and Atri are 1/2 here, Harutyunyan beat Abakarov 5-2 at Euros this year.

Vito has huge potential for me on the world stage. He lost in the first round at U23s last year, but that was down at 57kg. He has looked much improved at 61kg, and only lost to Abakarov in Hungary last month 2-0. More importantly, Vito beat world 3rd from Mongolia 10-0 in repechage there. I really think Vito can medal here, and has an outside shot at winning the whole thing.

Prediction: Gold- Magomedov, Silver- Atri, Bronzes- Arujau, Harutyunyan

65kg:
Shamil Mamedov (Russia)- 2021 U20 champ
Vazgen Tevanyan (Armenia)- 2022 U23 champ
Haji Aliev (Azerbaijan)- 2020 Olympic 2nd, 2017 World champ, 2016 Olympic 3rd, 2015 World champ, 2014 World champ
Alejandro Enrique Valdes Tobier (Cuba)- 2018 World 3rd, 2017 World 3rd
Iszmail Muszukajev (Hungary)- 2022 World 3rd, 2019 World 3rd
Rahman Mousa Amouzadkhalili (Iran)- 2022 World Champ, 2021 U20 champ
Takuto Otoguro (Japan)- 2020 Olympic champ, 2018 World champ
Erik Arushanian (Ukraine)- 2019 U20 champ
Umidjon Jalolov (Uzbekistan)- 2022 U20 champ

As weak as 61kg is, 65kg is extremely strong in my opinion, especially with a potential top two matchup. Last year's champ Rahman Amouzad (Iran) is a young and talented star who returns to defend his crown; Olympic champ Takuto Otoguro is competing internationally for the first time in two years, where he won a monster 65kg. In that 2021 Olympic bracket (and losing by one point each to Otoguro) are Muszukajev and Aliev, the latter a bit too old and the former a bit too out of shape to compete for first. Mamedov from Russia is young but talented, as is Jalolov from Uzbekistan. Tevanyan is a dark horse to medal- 2022 U23 champ and 2023 Euro champ. Mongolia is without their #1 Tumur-Ochir, who won a ton this year and beat Nick Lee.

Another Olympic weight where I think the US has an uphill battle. Nick Lee lost this year to Tumur Ochir (not competing) and got teched 10-0 by Muszukajev. Those are matches you need to win to medal at worlds, and I just don't think he can consistently. He beat Yianni, but the rest of the world is a different story.

Predictions: Gold- Amouzad, Silver- Otoguro, Bronzes- Mamedov, Tevanyan

70kg:
Yevgeny Zherbaev (Russia)- 2021 World 3rd
Giorgi Elbakidze (Georgia)- 2022 U23 champ
Amirmohammad Babak Yazdanicherati (Iran)- 2021 World 2nd
Ernazar Akmataliev (Kyrgyzstan)- 2022 World 3rd, 2021 U23 1st, 2021 World 2nd
Zain Allen Retherford (USA)- 2022 World 2nd

So this weight may look terrible on first glance, and while it's definitely on the bottom half in terms of talent, I think there are some guys who haven't placed yet that could make noise. Armenia, Bulgaria, India, Japan, and Moldova don't have senior level success yet but are looking to upset a big name like Retherford or Zherbaev. I'm excited to see Zherbaev again- lost to Akmataliev at 2021 worlds, could see a rematch here. Top names from last couple years (Gadzhiev, Iakobishvili, Baev, Narikuni) either didn't make their teams or are done competing.

Zain is looking to build on his silver medal last year with this weaker field leading up to the Olympics. I tend to think this is Zain's last great chance at gold- Olympics next year makes him essentially a non-factor and he will be 30 in 2025.

Predictions: Gold- Akmataliev, Silver- Zherbaev, Bronzes- Retherford, Yazdani

70kg:
Yevgeny Zherbaev (Russia)- 2021 World 3rd
Giorgi Elbakidze (Georgia)- 2022 U23 champ
Amirmohammad Babak Yazdanicherati (Iran)- 2021 World 2nd
Ernazar Akmataliev (Kyrgyzstan)- 2022 World 3rd, 2021 U23 1st, 2021 World 2nd
Zain Allen Retherford (USA)- 2022 World 2nd

So this weight may look terrible on first glance, and while it's definitely on the bottom half in terms of talent, I think there are some guys who haven't placed yet that could make noise. Armenia, Bulgaria, India, Japan, and Moldova don't have senior level success yet but are looking to upset a big name like Retherford or Zherbaev. I'm excited to see Zherbaev again- lost to Akmataliev at 2021 worlds, could see a rematch here. Top names from last couple years (Gadzhiev, Iakobishvili, Baev, Narikuni) either didn't make their teams or are done competing.

Zain is looking to build on his silver medal last year with this weaker field leading up to the Olympics. I tend to think this is Zain's last great chance at gold- Olympics next year makes him essentially a non-factor and he will be 30 in 2025.

Predictions: Gold- Akmataliev, Silver- Zherbaev, Bronzes- Retherford, Yazdani
Is Babak related to Hassan? And who did Marsteller beat at Nationals to make the lineup?

74kg
Mahamedkhabib Kadzimahamedau (Belarus)- 2020 Olympic 2nd
Turan Bayramov (Azerbaijan)- 2019 U23 champ
Zaurbek Sidakov (Russia)- 2020 Olympic champ, 2019 World champ, 2018 World champ
Avtandil Kentchadze (Georgia)- 2018 U23 champ, 2018 World 2nd
Yones Aliakbar Emami (Iran)- 2022 World 3rd, 2019 World 3rd
Frank Chamizo (Italy)- 2022 World 3rd, 2019 World 2nd, 2017 World champ, 2016 Olympic 3rd, 2015 World champ, 2010 World 3rd
Nurkozha Kaipanov (Kazakhstan)- 2019 World 2nd
Hetik Cabolov (Serbia)- 2017 World 2nd, 2014 World champ, 2011 U20 champ
Tajmuraz Mairbekovic Salkazanov (Slovakia)- 2023 Euro champ, 2022 World 2nd, 2021 World 2nd, 2019 World 3rd, 2018 U23 champ
Soner Demirtas (Turkey)- 2017 World 3rd, 2016 Olympic 3rd
Kyle Douglas Dake(USA)- 2022 World champ, 2021 World champ, 2020 Olympic 3rd, 2019 World champ, 2018 World champ
Bekzod Abdurakhmanov (Uzbekistan)- 2020 Olympic 3rd, 2018 World 3rd, 2014 World 3rd

This is the good stuff right here. Where to start? Sidakov is back and hasn't lost outside of Russia in like five years. His fellow Olympic finalist Kadzimahamedau is also back, as are three other former world champs in Dake, Chamizo, and Tsabolov. Salkazanov has been one of the most underrated guys in the world the last three years and won Euros this year.

What an interesting year for Kyle Dake. His last loss was a 10-0 demolition at the Olympics by Kadzimahamedau, who then loss to Sidakov. Both of those wrestlers were out the last two years and are back now, severely dampening his chances at a world title. The good news is I don't think Dake loses to anybody else- Salkazanov always gives him a tough match, but Dake's defense is extremely tough. Going to be lots of good guys missing out on qualifying here.

Predictions: Gold- Sidakov, Silver- Kadzimahamedau, Bronzes- Dake, Salkazanov

Like Josh said, the important ones for next year are 57, 65, 74, 86, 97, 125. If the guys at 74-125 don't medal I'd be surprised. I think 74-125 have the potential to all be in the finals. Zane Richards is such a wild card given his lack of experience on the world stage. If he wrestles like he did against Gilman, hard to see him not have a medal at the end. I believe 5th also qualifies the weight. The curse of 65KG is still on in my opinion. Yianni medaled last year, but the curse thrives during the olympic times. Nick Lee falls into the Richards category. 65 is insane this year. The problem is guys like Aliev pick and choose when to wrestle their best. Sometimes it seems like they milk it in at worlds, get to the olympics and realize (crap I can actually wrestle).

Other important points is the US Trials implications of medaling. All 23 world team members at olympic weights sit out to the semis unless they medal. So the olympic weight guys medaling gives them a bye all the way to the finals. I don't have the raw data in front of me, but I believe this has historically benefited those who were able to sit out. Non-olympic weight guys get byes to the semis if they medal. Vito could very well medal, or even win it and then only have to go through one of the multitudes of dudes at 57/65 next year. Same with Zane, Chance, and Zahid.

I think the realistic expectation for men's freestyle is 8 medals, with the floor being 6. The BIG 4 (Kyle, David, Kyle, Gable) at the upper olympic weights should medal, and should all be in the finals. Getting medals from Retherford and Vito should also be expected given recent success. Chance and Zahid are such mysteries to me. There's honestly not a guy I'm rooting for harder to win it all than Chance Marstellar. What an already amazing story that could be topped with a World Title, even hollywood would reject that script. Zahid bumped up at "the last minute" to make it at 92KG but how well does he fare against the other 92's? I think he could medal, but such a huge unknown.

79kg:
Vladimeri Gamkrelidze (Georgia)- 2022 U23 champ
Mohammad Ashghar Nokhodilarimi (Iran)- 2022 World 2nd, 2021 World 2nd

Yep, that's one wrestler with a prior world medal at this weight and last year's U23 world champ, and that's it. 2022 world champ Jordan Burroughs didn't make the world team and every wrestler who finished 3rd-7th last year is either up or down in weight this year. The Russian (Usmanov) won the unofficial 2020 individual wrestling world cup, but hasn't competed at worlds besides that. Armenia, Azerbaijan, maybe India rounding out the top guys? Really really shallow here...

...Which is a good sign for Chance Marsteller, who beat Jordan Burroughs to make his first senior world team. Marsteller wrestled in three tourneys this year and took bronze in all, losing to Iran's backup, Kentchadze (down at 74kg), and 10-0 to Nokhodi. The good news is that Marsteller would avenge that loss to Kentchadze later in the year, making me think he has gotten better; the bad news is getting teched by the #1 guy at the weight. I think he can sneak into bronze here, or at least the bronze match.

Predictions: Gold- Nokhodi, Silver- Usmanov, Bronzes- Gamkrelidze, Marsteller

That's my understanding, yes. Russia hasn't competed in quite some time, they don't have any seeding points. Snyder v Sadulaev could very well be R1.

Also, four qualifiers from worlds at each weight is a change from previous years. Before, just making the bronze match guaranteed you a quota spot at the Olympics. Now, you will need to either win that match or beat the other bronze medal loser to gain that Olympic spot for your country.
Isn't it 5 per weight as opposed to 6? My understanding was that there would be a True 5th at each olympic weight.

Steveson out, Parris in.

With how he's wrestled this calendar year, I'd favor Mason against anyone but Taha, Petriashvili, and Zare. Taha/Zare are in the top half of the bracket, so he'd have to upset one of them to get a medal there. If he's in Petriashvili's bracket, he could medal without needing a "Big 3" win.

No matter what, he can get the new "True 5th" spot without needing to beat one of those guys, so I still like our chances to qualify the weight for the Olympics.

Iran are probably more clear team favorites now, too, as another implication.

Last edited:
There was that time when Parris pinned Zare... 🇺🇸
Very true. It would obviously be a big upset if he pulled it off again.

I do think he's closer to the Big 3 than some might think. If he pushes the pace and keeps from getting taken down and needing par terre, I genuinely don't think an upset over any of them is impossible.

Also read no Sidakov or Sadulaev. That's a gamechanger.
This is still up in the air. When the Olympics released their notes on Russian/Belorussian athletes competing at the Olympics, there was a note in there about not allowing those with overt ties to the government/regime to compete. Several wrestlers (Sidakov/Sadulaev and others) have some kind of military tie, mostly so they can be paid to train. However, I have no reason to believe UWW will prohibit anybody from competing given their ties to Russia and the prevalence of Russian officials in UWW management.