2023 Football

Really strong hire. Young, connections to tristate and rest of Ohio. Well respected by college coaches
The guy could be a Home Run, much in the same mold as coach Elder. He is successful, young, well connected, college and high school experience as well as a local guy. What more could one possibly ask for. I am sure former Moeller QB Chris Reisert had good things to say about him. GBM 💪 🏈

The guy could be a Home Run, much in the same mold as coach Elder. He is successful, young, well connected, college and high school experience as well as a local guy. What more could one possibly ask for. I am sure former Moeller QB Chris Reisert had good things to say about him. GBM 💪 🏈
What college connections? He played and coached in D3. He has one year of high school football at Lexington Catholic. I am told after Moe’s final 2 choices, they did not want either one, so they went out soliciting.

What college connections? He played and coached in D3. He has one year of high school football at Lexington Catholic. I am told after Moe’s final 2 choices, they did not want either one, so they went out soliciting.
Point. A good hire nonetheless. It is not an easy position to fill for various reasons.

Finding a solid OC is the next task, assuming the new coach takes the DC spot like coach Elder did.

Moeller (or any high school) does not need a coach with D1 college experience. Odds are if they have that background they won't stay around a high school for long. This guy has a very solid background coaching at the DII and III level for 15 years. One year as a high school head coach so he understands the responsibilities and pressures of being the main guy. In addition he is a local guy (as is his wife) which means he may want to set down roots and stay for the long term, which is something the Moeller program could benefit from. As a St X fan I must say I think this was a great hire for Moe.

I don't understand why a high school coach needs college connections. If he has college level recruits on his team the college coaches will come to him, plain and simple. Specht and Mclaughlin probably very rarely call any college coaches because they don't have to. The college coaches are calling them.

Interesting conversation this weekend with someone who is typically in the know- they mentioned Xavier is going to add a football program and that Elder was hired to start it? Also mentioned that perhaps they will br sharing the new football stadium with Moeller in Blue ash?

Interesting conversation this weekend with someone who is typically in the know- they mentioned Xavier is going to add a football program and that Elder was hired to start it? Also mentioned that perhaps they will br sharing the new football stadium with Moeller in Blue ash?
As in a club football? XU had a club football team for several years, not too long ago. I think it disbanded 2011 or 2012.

Or, is this an attempt to bring back a D-1 FCS team to XU? I did see last fall, there was a credible news story about the possibility of a revival of varsity football at XU. But, it’s been discussed on and off for years.

Either one would be a massive project.

As in a club football? XU had a club football team for several years, not too long ago. I think it disbanded 2011 or 2012.

Or, is this an attempt to bring back a D-1 FCS team to XU? I did see last fall, there was a credible news story about the possibility of a revival of varsity football at XU. But, it’s been discussed on and off for years.

Xavier is definitely going forward with adding a D1 football team from what I understand. Would be in the non scholarship category much like UD

1) XU is CONSIDERING restarting a football program. There was a lot of momentum for it about 5 months ago but the endeavor is still in a discovery phase. XU’s President has been pretty open that they’re conducting feasibility studies. Nothing is imminent. IF they relaunch football, it would be at the FBS level, playing in the Pioneer League.

2) If XU relaunches football, they will construct their own stadium. They're in efforts to purchase land immediately surrounding campus, with the thought that some of which would be used for a stadium. Likely the plot that abuts Montgomery Rd where the old Norwood Plaza currently sits. They're probably looking at a small facility, maybe 10k or less capacity.

1) XU is CONSIDERING restarting a football program. There was a lot of momentum for it about 5 months ago but the endeavor is still in a discovery phase. XU’s President has been pretty open that they’re conducting feasibility studies. Nothing is imminent. IF they relaunch football, it would be at the FBS level, playing in the Pioneer League.

2) If XU relaunches football, they will construct their own stadium. They're in efforts to purchase land immediately surrounding campus, with the thought that some of which would be used for a stadium. Likely the plot that abuts Montgomery Rd where the old Norwood Plaza currently sits. They're probably looking at a small facility, maybe 10k or less capacity.
Here's an interesting tidbit when back in 1972 Moeller grad Bob Goodhart '69 had a fun day for XU while beating UC. He had three interceptions against UC that day.
Bob3Int.png

Given that Kings has kids that regularly leave that district for Moe, I’d say chances are near zero they rent out anything to Moeller. Employees and administrators there do not speak kindly about Moe.
Unfortunately, I thought this would be the case. The best plan moving forward is to getting a stadium built since it seems fewer and fewer schools would be welcoming to Moeller being a temporary tenant.

Unfortunately, I thought this would be the case. The best plan moving forward is to getting a stadium built since it seems fewer and fewer schools would be welcoming to Moeller being a temporary tenant.
A new stadium is going to take a few years at best. If Kings is out of the question, I still say Lockland would be the answer if something could be worked out. There really isn't another viable option. Most GMC schools don't want Moeller as a tenant and no other league has a stadium large enough to accommodate a Crusader crowd. Nippert is just to inconvenient. What about TQL? GBM 💪 🏈

Last edited:
A new stadium is going to take a few years at best. If Kings is out of the question, I still say Lockland would be the answer if something could be worked out. There really isn't another viable option. Most GMC schools don't want Moeller as a tenant and no other league has a stadium large enough to accommodate a Crusader crowd. Nippert is just too inconvenient. What about TQL? GBM 💪 🏈
Correct on Lockland being best for now.
If Harry Yeaggy Family Stadium at Deer Park HS was a little bigger, it’d be fine as a temporary home.

I know a lot of places don’t like Moe. Is it a money issue with Lockland? Why did Princeton end up being a one and done? I doubt any GMC schools are going to open up their fields. What about a place like Winton Woods? They have a big stadium with parking. I just hope they don’t pick a place with limited seating where people end up getting turned away.

I know a lot of places don’t like Moe. Is it a money issue with Lockland? Why did Princeton end up being a one and done? I doubt any GMC schools are going to open up their fields. What about a place like Winton Woods? They have a big stadium with parking. I just hope they don’t pick a place with limited seating where people end up getting turned away.
Money was the issue with Lockland and Princeton. Lockland wanted to charge $7,000 a game and didn't want to split parking or concessions and Princeton was $5,000-$7,000, but I heard MH wasn't willing to pay that much. At some point your going to have to spend some money to rent these venues. Its the nature of it. I would rather spend a little more to rent a nice venue then to pay less and play at a crappy venue like Norwood or Lockland. Moeller football deserves better. I also heard that Nippert might not be an option for the St. X game this year since Fickell covered that the last couple years when he was at UC.