2023 Final X

They were replaying 3rd place matches I believe. 86kg had no 3rd place match because it was supposed to be Zahid vs Mark Hall, but Zahid bumped to 92kg
Yeh - just figured that out. Now I need to delete my posts. I had missed the Dieringer match earlier but I thought he won easily - so that's what threw me off. And I had missed the Sasso match earlier. I turned it on earlier just as he was getting his arm raised. I guess I was thinking they were doing a round robin for third - which makes no sense, but it had me fooled.

ok - it's 6:16 and the 2nd round hasn't started yet. Must be waiting for the GR matches to end. I could have finished waxing my car...

Edit - and then I find out I wasn't live. Don't remember pausing it or going back to watch something. Just not my day...

Last edited:
Round 2:
57kg- Zane Richards with two amazing matches to knockoff Thomas Gilman, wins the second match 8-6. What a year for Zane Richards, incredible gameplan and extreme growth over the last couple years.

What a finish in Vito vs. Nashon. Great match all the way through. 13-10 and Vito is on the team. Nashon was within a whisker of winning this one at the end.

61kg- Vito takes round 2 over Nahshon 11-8 on the back of two four point throws (the first of which should have been 5). Another first time world team member, Nahshon has the offense to compete with anybody in the world at 61kg.

Anyone else fuming about the reffing inconsistencies? Yianni got Cautioned-and-one for grounding himself, but Richards did it about ten times in two matches while the ref observed. Vito’s throw clearly 5 … etc etc. Oh well … maybe I’m just sore because the stream fails every 30 sec.

And my Flo screen just froze up. This is after updating my wi-fi and getting a new router/wi-fi to handle the faster speeds I upgraded to.

Yianni for the TD and ties it up 2-2. Didn't see how Lee scored waiting on my feed to come back. Now I know how I wasn't live earlier. When it came back, it picked up where it left off.

And now getting intermittent interruptions for about 2 seconds each.

And now it froze up again. BS

This has to be a Flo problem. Just ran a speed test and it is only off about 10% from my normal level.

65kg- Nick Lee beats Yianni on a challenge in R2. Missed a bit because of stream issues (seems to be a problem for everyone, I'm usually the outlier in that my stream works 98% of the time), but some kind of late exchange was wiped out because of a challenge and Lee beats Yianni in two straight. Nick Lee has really improved in freestyle recently, need him to get an international tourney before worlds to really gauge where he is at.

70kg- Zain Retherford over Tyler Berger 4-3, low-scoring but didn't hate the offense from Zain. A couple of nice shots, converted one in the second period and got the job done. Berger looks much better, especially on defense, but Zain just too much today.

Retherford guts it out and takes the win over Berger 4-3. Trailed 3-1, Berger was put on the shot clock and Retherford scored a TD and got the 1 point from the shot clock shortly thereafter and with a minute left in the match. Stayed at 4-3 the rest of the way. Retherford almost got another TD but Berger was able to whizzer down and it went to a stalemate. Retherford going to have a nice scar to remember these two matches. Berger indicated Retherford poked him in the eye and the match stopped briefly. Couldn't see it happen - but was concerned they were going to call it intentional after all the slapping and head butting going on. They did not.

Obviously not in Live mode again. At least it hasn't frozen up in the last 15 minutes, but it keeps getting blurry at times - indicating something is not giving me an unobstructed streaming.

Dake looking good. Everything seems effortless for him against a pretty good wrestler. Up 2-0, and my screen just froze up again. Such BS.

74kg- Dake back on the world team with a win over Nolf. Dake is just so amazing defensively, he's the best domestically at that over the last decade. Nolf is tough, and would do damage at worlds as well, but Dake is just too good.

Definitely streaming issue lies with Flo. Just logged into my ESPN+ account and am streaming a baseball game between Tulane and Florida with no issues - while the Flo stream screen is locked up again. I've missed about half of the JB vs. Marsteller match so far. Glad I paid to have a Flo account again....

79kg- Chance Marsteller with some amazing defense with 10 seconds left to fend off a JB takedown and wins 4-4. Marsteller's nose is very bloody and JB is very annoyed, but we will go to a third match for the second year in a row.

79kg- Chance Marsteller with some amazing defense with 10 seconds left to fend off a JB takedown and wins 4-4. Marsteller's nose is very bloody and JB is very annoyed, but we will go to a third match for the second year in a row.
I'm not repeating your posts on purpose - its just that I'm rarely in live mode any more. And just like that, I'm watching the rotating circle on the screen again. Tomorrow, Flo gets an earful. Hopefully I can get a human on the phone to tell me what the problem is.

86kg- David Taylor pulls some magic and wins 5-4 against Aaron Brooks. Brooks gets two TDs on Taylor but a lost challenge point was the difference in the match. Really hope Brooks gives U23s a shot, think he would benefit greatly getting his hands on some good foreign guys.

Really disappointed in no Snyder-Cox match-up today. Don't see anybody getting in their way for battling to get the Olympic spot next year. Don't remember who wrestled for the true 3rd.

Looks like there were no 3rd place matches at 97kg or 125kg

Last edited:
92kg- Zahid makes the bump in weight and makes his first senior world team at 92kg. Macchiavello is just a step below those top guys, Zahid with a pretty double leg for four early in the match.

I'll post a bigger women's update later, but Adeline just pinned Kennedy Blades with a minute left. Blades, in both matches, got out to a nice lead, but Adeline wore her down and really showcased her strength in both matches to turn Blades. Gimme Kennedy next year!

The best young 97kg in America is a bit of a mess, as AJ Ferrari is too much trouble for his own good.
I agree. I don't know if he has been wrestling at any level in the past year+, but I don't seen him being able to come back and put up a solid fight against either Cox or Snyder by next year. But stranger things have happened.