2023 Bengals

Who are the browns current tackles yet somehow the browns line is arguably better than the Bengals, again coaching matters. Pollack's evaluation and development has been bad. Not saying Willams is good, not hardly but less Bengals get a new line coach I don't care who you put at RT. When Bengals picked up Collins heard how Collins would be a difference maker at least an upgrade.

Collins was coming off a back injury and they overpaid, that is as much/more on the front office as it is on the oline coach.

Got to put some blame on the head coach, the tackles & oline have been a problem since he got there.

Collins was coming off a back injury and they overpaid, that is as much/more on the front office as it is on the oline coach.

Got to put some blame on the head coach, the tackles & oline have been a problem since he got there.
he's been blaming the oline and coach for years. he never says burrow holds ball to long, or the backs or TE missed a block, or the wr ran the wrong route.

he won't say, that mixon ran for over 1000 yds this year.

i don't think the OL is great, or the offensive coaching is great, but there are a lot more reasons that the bengals lost games this year. and 75% of them were the defense being piss poor.

jtk
()

he's been blaming the oline and coach for years. he never says burrow holds ball to long, or the backs or TE missed a block, or the wr ran the wrong route.

i don't think the OL is great, or the offensive coaching is great, but there are a lot more reasons that the bengals lost games this year. and 75% of them were the defense being piss poor.

jtk
()
I have been correct, I guess Browning holds onto the ball to long as well, 6 sacks vs Chiefs. Yeah, Mixon rushed for 1000 yds. (100) against 2nd team browns defense and the Bengals finished 2nd last in rushing in the NFL why is that? Mostly because the line sucks. I post facts you post opinion. Bengal's either get rid of Pollack and fix that line or Burrow will be out of the NFL before his contract ends.

jtk
()
Biggest reason is Burrow was injured, Bengals should do everything possible to keep JB healthy.

Burrow has admitted multiple times to holding onto the ball longer than he should, and also thay he believes taking sacks is an overblown negative, provided it doesn't take points off the board or turn a manageable 3rd or 4th in short into a punt.

Last season people though Mixon was the problem, but to his credit he looked really good this season. Showed great burst, good vision and was tough around the goal line.

The OL needs to be better, the play-calling needs to be better and they just overall need to get healthy, but as another poster mentioned they didn't struggle this year because of the offense, but instead it was the defense who struggled for large stretches of the year.

Sign 8 to futures deals:

And decisions on free agents:

Last edited:
Burrow has admitted multiple times to holding onto the ball longer than he should, and also thay he believes taking sacks is an overblown negative, provided it doesn't take points off the board or turn a manageable 3rd or 4th in short into a punt.

Last season people though Mixon was the problem, but to his credit he looked really good this season. Showed great burst, good vision and was tough around the goal line.

The OL needs to be better, the play-calling needs to be better and they just overall need to get healthy, but as another poster mentioned they didn't struggle this year because of the offense, but instead it was the defense who struggled for large stretches of the year.
Biggest problem with sacks is they lead to your QB getting injured priority no. 1 is to keep Burrow healthy, did Browning hold onto the ball to long as well, sacked 15 times in 5 games including twice vs 2nd team browns defense. Yes, the Bengal's have issues on defense, Burrow can overcome some of those issues because he is that good, like Bengals winning the game vs KC this year instead of losing that game. The Bengals finished 2nd last in rushing that is mostly on the line. Don't want Burrow to last his contract, yeah keep Pollack.

Biggest problem with sacks is they lead to your QB getting injured priority no. 1 is to keep Burrow healthy, did Browning hold onto the ball to long as well, sacked 15 times in 5 games including twice vs 2nd team browns defense. Yes, the Bengal's have issues on defense, Burrow can overcome some of those issues because he is that good, like Bengals winning the game vs KC this year instead of losing that game. The Bengals finished 2nd last in rushing that is mostly on the line. Don't want Burrow to last his contract, yeah keep Pollack.

A lot of this is/may be true but one thing is obviously clear: the Bengals could hire the Vince Lombardi of oline coaches and OT Jonah Williams still couldn’t block TJ Watt or Alex Highsmith one on one. I’m a big fan of Joe Burrow but if the Bengals resign Williams….its a very good day for the Steelers edge rushers.

A lot of this is/may be true but one thing is obviously clear: the Bengals could hire the Vince Lombardi of oline coaches and OT Jonah Williams still couldn’t block TJ Watt or Alex Highsmith one on one. I’m a big fan of Joe Burrow but if the Bengals resign Williams….its a very good day for the Steelers edge rushers.
I agree not a fan of Williams but are the stealers tackles all that talented? Again look at the browns 2nd team LT and 3rd team RT yet they still do a decent job with protection. Coaches do matter. Who was that drafted Carman and Volson, Pollack has no say in personnel matters or development of those players.

Edit: Get rid of Williams at RT who the Bengals going to put at that position? Another high price FA (doubtful) or draft. Bengals have not done very well in drafting O - Lineman. 1st get a line coach that is very good in evaluating talent and developing that talent than go draft a RT.

Last edited:
I agree not a fan of Williams but are the stealers tackles all that talented? Again look at the browns 2nd team LT and 3rd team RT yet they still do a decent job with protection. Coaches do matter. Who was that drafted Carman and Volson, Pollack has no say in personnel matters or development of those players.

Edit: Get rid of Williams at RT who the Bengals going to put at that position? Another high price FA (doubtful) or draft. Bengals have not done very well in drafting O - Lineman. 1st get a line coach that is very good in evaluating talent and developing that talent than go draft a RT.
Jonah is rated the 5th overall OT free agent this year. Not much out there to go and buy! I think he has to be a higher priority than Tee this year. He could also switch over to LT if something were to happen to Orlando.

Who are the browns current tackles yet somehow the browns line is arguably better than the Bengals, again coaching matters. Pollack's evaluation and development has been bad. Not saying Willams is good, not hardly but less Bengals get a new line coach I don't care who you put at RT. When Bengals picked up Collins heard how Collins would be a difference maker at least an upgrade.
Pollack has not been drafting the OL. The Bengals haven’t been drafting any OL for that matter. Carmen was a Paul Alexander special because Mike Brown for some reason cares what he has to say. Pollack wants athletes, not maulers. The front office gave him maulers. I agree they need to move on from Pollack, but through no fault of his own. Front office is trying to fit a square peg into a round whole with the OL coach and the players they gave him to work with. Easier to replace one coach than 5 OL.

Of course this dumb franchise will win today’s meaningless game to further decay their draft order.

Above .500 but missing the playoffs is literally the worst possible outcome for an NFL team.
Hard to lose to a bunch of end of the bench and practice squad players.

Don’t know why it matters but Steeler & Bengals OT’s for 2023 season per PFF:
* Bengal Brown #44
* Steeler Jones #56 (highest rated rookie OT)
* Steeler Okorfore #57
* Bengal Williams #61
* Steeler Moore #73

One big difference, Steeler OT’s don’t have to block Steeler Edge Rushers. Yes, Bengal Hendrickson is very good & a load to block but he’s a level behind Watt.

No need to get so defensive. I agree they probably should make a change, but that doesn't mean he's the lone issue with this team. They have a lot of holes that 9 covers up.

No need to get so defensive. I agree they probably should make a change, but that doesn't mean he's the lone issue with this team. They have a lot of holes that 9 covers up.
I agree, but I am a big fan of copying success, Lions have been very good at evaluating and developing lineman. I would go after their asst. line coach.

I agree, but I am a big fan of copying success, Lions have been very good at evaluating and developing lineman. I would go after their asst. line coach.

You might want to rethink advocating for the Detroit Lions assistant offensive line coach. Yes, the Lions may have the best oline in the NFL but why? You appear to believe it is good coaching, which it could be or is a part of it. However consider the draft capital the Lions have put into their starting oline:

LT Taylor Decker, 16th per PFF, 1st rd, 16th overall
LG Jonah Jackson, 37th per PFF, 3rd rd, 75th overall
C Frank Ragnow, 1st per PFF, 1st rd, 20th overall
RG Graham Glasgow, 8th per PFF, 3rd rd, 95th overall
RT Penei Sewell, 1st per PFF, 1st rd, 7th overall

Compared to Bengal oline:
LT Orlando Brown, 44th per PFF, 3rd rd, 83rd overall
LG Cordell Volson, 45th per PFF, 4th rd, 136th overall
C Ted Karras, 15th per PFF, 6th rd, 221st overall
RG Alex Cappa, 25th per PFF, 3rd rd, 94th overall
RT Jonah Williams, 61st per PFF, 1st rd, 11th overall

When the Bengals took WR Chase they passes on Sewell. Chase has been great, can’t fault the pick. However, when you take Chase the offense kinda goes towards getting him the ball in pass routes down field that take more time to develop than a simple slant or wr screen. If you take a OT you are want to emphasize a more run friendly offense and a pillar to protect your franchise qb. Again, Chase worked out incredibly well and will get paid accordingly this offseason.

Now, how much wisdom/great coaching do you think the assistant oline coach could bring to Cincinnati and instill in the Bengal oline?

You might want to rethink advocating for the Detroit Lions assistant offensive line coach. Yes, the Lions may have the best oline in the NFL but why? You appear to believe it is good coaching, which it could be or is a part of it. However consider the draft capital the Lions have put into their starting oline:

LT Taylor Decker, 16th per PFF, 1st rd, 16th overall
LG Jonah Jackson, 37th per PFF, 3rd rd, 75th overall
C Frank Ragnow, 1st per PFF, 1st rd, 20th overall
RG Graham Glasgow, 8th per PFF, 3rd rd, 95th overall
RT Penei Sewell, 1st per PFF, 1st rd, 7th overall

Compared to Bengal oline:
LT Orlando Brown, 44th per PFF, 3rd rd, 83rd overall
LG Cordell Volson, 45th per PFF, 4th rd, 136th overall
C Ted Karras, 15th per PFF, 6th rd, 221st overall
RG Alex Cappa, 25th per PFF, 3rd rd, 94th overall
RT Jonah Williams, 61st per PFF, 1st rd, 11th overall

When the Bengals took WR Chase they passes on Sewell. Chase has been great, can’t fault the pick. However, when you take Chase the offense kinda goes towards getting him the ball in pass routes down field that take more time to develop than a simple slant or wr screen. If you take a OT you are want to emphasize a more run friendly offense and a pillar to protect your franchise qb. Again, Chase worked out incredibly well and will get paid accordingly this offseason.

Now, how much wisdom/great coaching do you think the assistant oline coach could bring to Cincinnati and instill in the Bengal oline?
You forgot to add Jackson Carman to that list who was drafted in 2nd rd, Bengals (Pollack) could have had Creed Humphrey or Josh Meyers ( not great but better than Carman) that draft. 3 of the Bengal starters are FA's from other teams, those FA's seemed to have digressed under Pollack. Can either improve or stay the same with the status quo, I prefer to make a change and hopefully improve. Being a stealer fan not sure why you care other than to argue for the sake of arguing. Go bills.

Edit: IMO it does no good to draft a RT given the track record of Pollack evaluating and developing Bengal lineman. Rather sign another FA RT.

Last edited:
You forgot to add Jackson Carman to that list who was drafted in 2nd rd, Bengals (Pollack) could have had Creed Humphrey or Josh Meyers ( not great but better than Carman) that draft. 3 of the Bengal starters are FA's from other teams, those FA's seemed to have digressed under Pollack. Can either improve or stay the same with the status quo, I prefer to make a change and hopefully improve. Being a stealer fan not sure why you care other than to argue for the sake of arguing. Go bills.

I’m a Joe Burrow fan but make no mistake about it, I’m most definitely a Steeler fan first & foremost. I’ve said it before, the AFC North has a decade long Joe Burrow problem which means you are probably going 5-15 vs the Bengals as long as the don’t screw the pooch and can’t figure out how to keep Burrow upright.

Is the:
* oline coaching & development of players a problem, sure.
* front office evaluation of college lineman a problem - sure. Creed Humphries will be a solid 10 year vet
* front office evaluation of free agents a problem - sure

It’s not just one thing and if you think a change at oline coach will solve everything, that is wishful thinking. And going after the Lions assistant oline coach…..he might want the Bengals to influx some talent into the line. Bill Belicheck has a losing record if his starting qb is not named Tom Brady.

Edit: IMO it does no good to draft a RT given the track record of Pollack evaluating and developing Bengal lineman. Rather sign another FA RT.
Again, it isn’t Pollack’s fault. Look at this OL at Dallas: everyone was a hyper athlete. That is his forte, coaching up athletes. Not coaching up maulers. The most athletic (based on RAS, which is an athletic score based on combine numbers relative to position) of the starting OL is Jonah Williams at a 5.49 out of 10. They are by far the least athletic OL. Why the front office hired him and then dealt him a hand he can’t play is beyond me. Agreed they need to move on from Pollack, but only because the Bengals set him up for failure.

Again, it isn’t Pollack’s fault. Look at this OL at Dallas: everyone was a hyper athlete. That is his forte, coaching up athletes. Not coaching up maulers. The most athletic (based on RAS, which is an athletic score based on combine numbers relative to position) of the starting OL is Jonah Williams at a 5.49 out of 10. They are by far the least athletic OL. Why the front office hired him and then dealt him a hand he can’t play is beyond me. Agreed they need to move on from Pollack, but only because the Bengals set him up for failure.
he won't listen. he will come back and tell you that he deals with facts and you just type opinions.

jtk
()

Speculation and opinion.

With head coaches such as Harbaugh, Belichick, Vrable available, I seriously double if both Bengal coordinators get head coaching gigs. The Detroit OC is the hottest name amongst the coordinators.

Browning ends up starting somewhere next year, no? He may be on the Bengals week 1 but if next year is anything like this year with the injuries a desperate team may give up something big for him.

The Bengals have exclusive rights to Browning, I think they resign him for 1 year, $2.5 mil or so and keep him until they are at least 100% sure Burrow is healthy & ready to go. Even then, where are you going to get a backup qb as good as Browning? I’m a big fan of Burrow but with that oline, I keep Browning for insurance.

Would anyone give up a 1st for Browning? I dont think so but the kid was very impressive this year. The kid can play.

The Bengals have exclusive rights to Browning, I think they resign him for 1 year, $2.5 mil or so and keep him until they are at least 100% sure Burrow is healthy & ready to go. Even then, where are you going to get a backup qb as good as Browning? I’m a big fan of Burrow but with that oline, I keep Browning for insurance.

Would anyone give up a 1st for Browning? I dont think so but the kid was very impressive this year. The kid can play.
Maybe a third or fourth