2023 Benedictine Football

Surprising that after an 0-10 season that Benedictine would hire a guy that was in the staff??? I thought it would be time to make a clean sweep & start with a new face.

Surprising that after an 0-10 season that Benedictine would hire a guy that was in the staff??? I thought it would be time to make a clean sweep & start with a new face.
I agree completely.But,not surprised at all.This staff was the worst Benny ever had,and they hire the 2nd in command.The staff that brought in no players the last 3 years.This was the best they could come up with?Very,very disappointing.

I agree completely.But,not surprised at all.This staff was the worst Benny ever had,and they hire the 2nd in command.The staff that brought in no players the last 3 years.This was the best they could come up with?Very,very disappointing.
I guess Benny is not the destination job many Bengal fans thought it was.

BIG SPLASH - a guy off the staff that just went winless.
Coach Joe Schaefer was part of Coach Ben Malbasa’s staff in 2011, second in command actually. Nothing against Coach Malbasa, but during his 2nd (and final) season as Benedictine’s head coach in 2012, the varsity team finished at 3-7 with an awful loss to Padua. The team also had around 35 players by the end of the season if memory serves correctly, completely in need of a rebuild.

Enter Coach Joe Schaefer. The Bengals rebound the next season and make it to the Regional Championship, only to lose a heartbreaker to Cardinal Mooney. The next year, 2014, … well you know the rest.

Last edited:
Coach Joe Schaefer was part of Coach Ben Malbasa’s staff in 2012, second in command actually. Nothing against Coach Malbasa, but during his 2nd (and final) season as Benedictine’s head coach in 2013, the varsity team finished at 3-7 with an awful loss to Padua. The team also had around 35 players by the end of the season if memory serves correctly, completely in need of a rebuild.

Enter Coach Joe Schaefer. The Bengals rebound the next season and make it to the Regional Championship, only to lose a heartbreaker to Cardinal Mooney. The next year, 2014, … well you know the rest.
The point is… let’s avoid the negativity and actually talk high school football.

Yes, Coach Prevesk needs to build a good staff.

Yes, Coach Prevesk needs to earn the young men’s trust (which he has already been doing by giving his time to the Home of Champions).

… let’s stop beating the dead horse and talk high school football. Strengths for next year? Weaknesses? Schedule? I heard we open against Walsh Jesuit again.

Coach Joe Schaefer was part of Coach Ben Malbasa’s staff in 2011, second in command actually. Nothing against Coach Malbasa, but during his 2nd (and final) season as Benedictine’s head coach in 2012, the varsity team finished at 3-7 with an awful loss to Padua. The team also had around 35 players by the end of the season if memory serves correctly, completely in need of a rebuild.

The point you are leaving out is that guys like Jerome Baker,Justin Layne,and Warren Saba,three guys who would eventually play pro football,were already in the school.We also had several other guys who ended up playing college ball.Don't have anything like that now.

The point you are leaving out is that guys like Jerome Baker,Justin Layne,and Warren Saba,three guys who would eventually play pro football,were already in the school.We also had several other guys who ended up playing college ball.Don't have anything like that now.
While Baker, Layne, and Saba had plenty of natural talent, they also had great off seasons in the weight room/on the field which helped them tremendously. They didn’t come to Benedictine ready to play Division I football. It took time and grit.

It will be up to Coach Prevesk and his staff to earn the young men’s trust and have a fantastic off season. This will strengthen the team and ultimately produce college athletes. Maybe not Alabama recruits, but guys who play together for the name on the front of their jerseys and get looks from well-respected schools.

While Baker, Layne, and Saba had plenty of natural talent, they also had great off seasons in the weight room/on the field which helped them tremendously. They didn’t come to Benedictine ready to play Division I football. It took time and grit.

It will be up to Coach Prevesk and his staff to earn the young men’s trust and have a fantastic off season. This will strengthen the team and ultimately produce college athletes. Maybe not Alabama recruits, but guys who play together for the name on the front of their jerseys and get looks from well-respected schools.
Admire your spirit,but you are very naive.By the way,Baker was already considered the top recruit in his class,in the entire state as a freshmen.

what does the schedule currently look like? Hearing we have a few open weeks?
Would love to be wrong,but don't see this team winning 5 games in the next 2 years combined.Just lost thir best lineman,best receiver,and from whats been reported on here,at least 5 starting underclassmen have transferred to Gilmour and Ginnville.

Admire your spirit,but you are very naive.By the way,Baker was already considered the top recruit in his class,in the entire state as a freshmen.
It was Baker’s sophomore year at the Sparq Combine where he started to gain quite a bit of attention. I was somewhat close with him at the time, and I don’t think he had national attention until his sophomore year.

The point is, a great offseason makes a tremendous difference. Baker was a special player, and with all respect to him, a single player. There are 10 other guys on the field. Just look what happened to Archbishop Hoban and Lamar Sperling when they played St. Edward this year.

It was Baker’s sophomore year at the Sparq Combine where he started to gain quite a bit of attention. I was somewhat close with him at the time, and I don’t think he had national attention until his sophomore year.

The point is, a great offseason makes a tremendous difference. Baker was a special player, and with all respect to him, a single player. There are 10 other guys on the field. Just look what happened to Archbishop Hoban and Lamar Sperling when they played St. Edward this year.
Not going to argue with you pal.We are on the same side.I just don't see it.The team just went 0-10,and lost most of their best players.From what I here,not much in the lower levels either.But,we will see.

Would love to be wrong,but don't see this team winning 5 games in the next 2 years combined.Just lost thir best lineman,best receiver,and from whats been reported on here,at least 5 starting underclassmen have transferred to Gilmour and Ginnville.
Who transferred? I can’t find it on here. Thx

I'd love to spin this hire as a positive, but on the now-defunct 2022 string 'people with inside knowledge' were making it seem like there was a big splash coming. There were also insinuations that Bene had to wait until after the playoffs because the new coach was still coaching.

And then this...

It just wreaks like they couldn't find anyone else. I'm sure the new coach is well-liked and respected, but it's not a great look IMO.

Coach Prevesk was the best qualified, considering the scarce financial resources available.

I'd love to spin this hire as a positive, but on the now-defunct 2022 string 'people with inside knowledge' were making it seem like there was a big splash coming. There were also insinuations that Bene had to wait until after the playoffs because the new coach was still coaching.

And then this...

It just wreaks like they couldn't find anyone else. I'm sure the new coach is well-liked and respected, but it's not a great look IMO.
There was a coach still coaching.But,the"brain trust"botched it.And you nailed it,there wasn't anyone else.

This hire is baffling to me. I really respect and like Coach P, but he is partially responsible for last year's disaster. If they were going to do this, they should have given Coach Goode another year. At least that would have possibly kept some of the players from transferring. I really hope they turn it around. Based on what I saw last year, those players deserved better effort and organization from their coaches (with some exceptions)

I took the night to think about this hire.
What happens if things don’t change?
What if you get the same results?
I know most comments will be, he hasn’t even coached a game yet. In reality he has been on the staff for 8 or 9 years. He’s coached many games. What happens?