2023-2024 General Discussion

A particular poster would have wanted Brad Brownell fired probably at least 7-8 years ago if he coached his favorite team.

This is year 14 at Clemson fo him...second time he's made it to the second weekend. 9/13 years (not counting COVID year) he didn't make the tournament. Right at about .500 against ACC schools.

Glad to see a mix of recruiting, player development, and luck break his and their way after staying the course for long.

As a HS recruit, Bas Leyte was ranked outside the top 400 and transferred from UNCG where he averaged 5.5 ppg over 4 years and 7.9 ppg in his last year at UNCG. You’ve already said OSU should only be getting conference POY types from schools like UNCG. You would have complained if OSU signed a player of his caliber either as a HS recruit or transfer.

As a HS recruit Wiggins was ranked outside the top 180 recruits. You would have complained about OSU signing a player of his caliber as well.

PJ Hall is the only one you might not have complained about.
You’re right, I absolutely look at recruiting rankings but I also look at size across the entire team. Clemson was able to obtain a lot, OSU had none outside of one player.

A particular poster would have wanted Brad Brownell fired probably at least 7-8 years ago if he coached his favorite team.

This is year 14 at Clemson fo him...second time he's made it to the second weekend. 9/13 years (not counting COVID year) he didn't make the tournament. Right at about .500 against ACC schools.

Glad to see a mix of recruiting, player development, and luck break his and their way after staying the course for long.
With Clemsons inept basketball history? Probably not. They are an irrelevant program, Ohio State basketball is not.

UConn feels inevitable.

The only thing that gives me any hesitation is that the only teams to ever be as or more dominant to this point in the tournament in the 64 team era, '93 Kentucky and '99 Duke, eventually came up just short.

Feels like it would take both something special and some luck for any of the teams remaining to beat them IMO.

I feel bad for Illinois. Outside of maybe UNC they are the second best team in this tournament and they got screwed being in the same region as UCONN

Bama's pace and general sloppiness/lack of attention to details (especially defensively) is like ADHD on meth.

Wildly out of control at times. Often drags the opponent along with them.

Abysmal free throw shooting allowing Iowa State to stay within range.

Illinois probably ought to be up 10-12 instead of up 6 here.

Bama's pace and general sloppiness/lack of attention to details (especially defensively) is like ADHD on meth.

Wildly out of control at times. Often drags the opponent along with them.
Yet they are in the elite 8 for only the second time in school history, Oats is doing something right.

I don’t think I could ever dream of Ohio State playing team defense the way Iowa State does.
Couple of weeks ago you stated after the OSU - Illini game that Illini did not play defense, yet they beat Iowa State.
I feel bad for Illinois. Outside of maybe UNC they are the second best team in this tournament and they got screwed being in the same region as UCONN
Let’s hope not, I think Purdue is all we got. Outside of them the conference is mid major type bad.

Remember posting that in the OSU thread. You also posted this:

The Big Ten sucks, Illinois lost to all of the good teams out of conference.

Now the Illini (a mid major type bad in your words) are the 2nd best team in the tourney, but after they only beat OSU by 3 points they sucked.

Three in the last 25 years is pretty solid.

Without looking it up, that's probably borderline top-10 for that time duration. I doubt anyone outside of the five Blue Bloods, Michigan State, UConn, and Villanova have been to 4+ Final Fours in that time period.

Couple of weeks ago you stated after the OSU - Illini game that Illini did not play defense, yet they beat Iowa State.
Their defense isn’t good and Iowa States offense isn’t anything to write home about. Where Iow State wins is with their defense, forcing turnovers, and toughness.
Let’s hope not, I think Purdue is all we got. Outside of them the conference is mid major type bad.

Remember posting that in the OSU thread. You also posted this:

The Big Ten sucks, Illinois lost to all of the good teams out of conference.

Now the Illini (a mid major type bad in your words) are the 2nd best team in the tourney, but after they only beat OSU by 3 points they sucked.

Congrats to Illinois, they improved a lot. I also made the post when they were up 13 points but then they brought me back down to reality almost choking the entire game away. I want Illinois to win, I’m glad they made the elite 8 but they also got a favorable draw. I think they get smashed by UCONN now.

The Big Ten absolutely still sucks though as a whole. Only 2 teams left in this tournament and none in the NIT. I think only 1 makes the final 4 which is a definite improvement over the abortion that was the last couple seasons in the tournament.

Three in the last 25 years is pretty solid.

Without looking it up, that's probably borderline top-10 for that time duration. I doubt anyone outside of the five Blue Bloods, Michigan State, UConn, and Villanova have been to 4+ Final Fours in that time period.
Michigan State is not a blue blood program, Villanova probably isn’t there but they are much closer.

UConn feels inevitable.

The only thing that gives me any hesitation is that the only teams to ever be as or more dominant to this point in the tournament in the 64 team era, '93 Kentucky and '99 Duke, eventually came up just short.

Feels like it would take both something special and some luck for any of the teams remaining to beat them IMO.
If they beat Illinois, I think that pretty much seals them as Title Winners. I know Creighton beat them but that was in Omaha.

Michigan State is not a blue blood program, Villanova probably isn’t there but they are much closer.
In reference to making the Final Four. They aren't a blueblood, but they've made it to the last weekend 8 times in the last 25 years. Extremely successful recent history in the tournament.

If they were a blueblood they'd probably have at least three titles in that time frame. They only got one, and lost in the semis 6/8 trips.