2022 HS season

top 4 Seeds for the South went as follows: #1 Elder, #2 Moeller, #3 WH, #4 St. X

Moeller, X and WH all chose to go to the #2 bracket and avoid Elder in the regional tourney.

top 4 Seeds for the South went as follows: #1 Elder, #2 Moeller, #3 WH, #4 St. X

Moeller, X and WH all chose to go to the #2 bracket and avoid Elder in the regional tourney.
Wow, X dropping down to fourth, likely meaning that they will have to play both Walnut Hills and Moeller in order to get out of that region. Should be interesting to see the bracket when it gets posted.

X should take care of business in the 1st round, but then have Walnut at Walnut. So gonna likely be with Moeller vs. X or Moeller vs. Walnut in the #2 bracket regional finals. That bracket’s gonna be fun.
Looks like Elder should be playing either Sycamore or Loveland in the regional finals in the #1 bracket

Interesting move by West #1 Centerville, who appears to have chosen West #2 bracket which is also on the opposite side of the state bracket from Elder's path. Beavercreek, who is seeded #2 in the West was placed in the West #1 bracket which is on the same side as South #1.

Interesting move by West #1 Centerville, who appears to have chosen West #2 bracket which is also on the opposite side of the state bracket from Elder's path. Beavercreek, who is seeded #2 in the West was placed in the West #1 bracket which is on the same side as South #1.
I saw that and was curious to whether that was a typo or not. Very interesting if Centerville selected West #2 on purpose.

The more i think about this, doesnt the #1 and #2 get placed in the respective regions no matter what? I didn't think that they had a choice...

Last edited:
I saw that and was curious to whether that was a typo or not. Very interesting if Centerville selected West #2 on purpose.

The more i think about this, doesnt the #1 and #2 get placed in the respective regions no matter what? I didn't think that they had a choice...
I was always told that's how it is for boys volleyball, but in every other sport that holds a draw the top seed gets to choose their spot regardless. I've always wondered why more teams haven't tried to "game" the draw to advance as far as possible.

I was always told that's how it is for boys volleyball, but in every other sport that holds a draw the top seed gets to choose their spot regardless. I've always wondered why more teams haven't tried to "game" the draw to advance as far as possible.
the brackets online have been fixed. Centerville is now in the West #1 and Beavercreek in the West #2.

So does anyone think there's a threat outside of the South region to knock Elder off? We've seen Moe and X got knocked off by teams from other regions during the regular season and Walnut has fallen to Moe and Elder already.

So does anyone think there's a threat outside of the South region to knock Elder off? We've seen Moe and X got knocked off by teams from other regions during the regular season and Walnut has fallen to Moe and Elder already.
I would think Elder would have to have an injury from Bianco or Maune in order for them to get knocked off by someone outside the South.

I would think Elder would have to have an injury from Bianco or Maune in order for them to get knocked off by someone outside the South.
Don't count it out - People may recall that Maune was dealing with injuries last year which likely led to Elder not being full strength in the tournament. He sat out the semis vs St I's I think, but did play vs Moeller. However, without him, Albers carried the offensive load vs St. I's and he was gassed for the finals later that day.

Don't count it out - People may recall that Maune was dealing with injuries last year which likely led to Elder not being full strength in the tournament. He sat out the semis vs St I's I think, but did play vs Moeller. However, without him, Albers carried the offensive load vs St. I's and he was gassed for the finals later that day.
Albers was also injured (limping badly) during the Moeller match.

I'm confused, are u saying it would take an injury or are u saying they can win with an injured player?
I’m saying Maune has some injuries in the past. But that he fought through, and Elder had the depth to still win the semis without him, but it may have cost them the finals. Just that we basically saw that happen last year.

I’m saying Maune has some injuries in the past. But that he fought through, and Elder had the depth to still win the semis without him, but it may have cost them the finals. Just that we basically saw that happen last year.
Yeah, don't think they have the same kind of depth this year if something like that were to happen.

That would be an interesting discussion: what team has the best overall depth to survive if that team's best player got hurt i.e. Patterson for Moeller, Maune or Bianco for Elder, Meyer for X, Culpepper for Beavercreek, Kolwicz for Thomas, etc. We've seen the effects it has on a place like Centerville. My guess is Elder is the best equipped to survive should it's big dog go down. But at the end of the day, no team can afford to lose that player at this stage of the season.

That would be an interesting discussion: what team has the best overall depth to survive if that team's best player got hurt i.e. Patterson for Moeller, Maune or Bianco for Elder, Meyer for X, Culpepper for Beavercreek, Kolwicz for Thomas, etc. We've seen the effects it has on a place like Centerville. My guess is Elder is the best equipped to survive should it's big dog go down. But at the end of the day, no team can afford to lose that player at this stage of the season.
I think Elder would be better equipped to survive if Maune went down vs. Bianco. The setting depth behind Bianco is thin and not nearly as athletic/consistent/effective. Whereas, if Maune went down, Lanter becomes your OH1; a downgrade from Maune, of course (but what team wouldn't be downgraded losing a player like that?), but still a very good player. You then probably move Schwallie to OH2 (a position he's very comfortable playing), Harvey to L and Gruen or Hofmeyer becomes the DS for Maurer. The offense won't be as good, but you've still got very good players filling in/moving around. X could do similar things if Meyer went down; move Pung to OH or Krebs plays OH, Shields/Eberle/Krebs at right side. The other guys you mention would be much bigger losses and harder to replace. Moe's depth is extremely young/thin, so Patterson going down would hurt a lot. Since he's playing MH now, you probably see Husting or Geselbracht as the MH2 behind Threm with the other as a front row RS.

Centerville took a game from them earlier this season, so that's probably the best bet. Obviously if anyone were to get injured that would change things. I don't think you can count out St Ignatius either though, they likely will get Centerville in the Quarterfinals on the same side as Elder.

That’s killer. 2 points away from a perfect season. I would almost rather be 21-3 or something like that.
Lol no chance. 23-1 is still one of the best regular seasons in Elder history. It'll be up there, but not exactly, with the 2008 Elder team if they can finish the job. Only loss is a super close 5 set match to St. X and everyone else finished off in 3 or 4? That's one of the best seasons ever for Elder.