2022 HS season

Would be shocked if Bianco doesn't get at least an all state nod. "How the voting works" is a setter is usually named to the 1st and 2nd team all state. JJ was on the 1st team and Carmo made the 2nd team last year. JJ was not named player of the year in Ohio last year, Gilbert was the clear choice and if anyone is arguing he shouldn't have been, they didn't watch him play.
I would also be shocked if Bianco is left off the all state teams especially because he seems to be the best setter out of the big three as well

Would be shocked if Bianco doesn't get at least an all state nod. "How the voting works" is a setter is usually named to the 1st and 2nd team all state. JJ was on the 1st team and Carmo made the 2nd team last year. JJ was not named player of the year in Ohio last year, Gilbert was the clear choice and if anyone is arguing he shouldn't have been, they didn't watch him play.
Was talking about JJ as POY in South Region. It looks like the way voting works is that they try to place 5-6 of the boys who made 1st team in their region but not 1st team all state on the 2nd team, and then the ones that don't fit there go down to HM. Girl's all state voting is completely different where multiple players from the same team can make 1st team, which obviously would give an advantage (deservedly arguably) to South region in boy's if that's how it was done. Many players from GCL schools that should've been at least 2nd team all state got demoted to HM or left off because of this voting system.

Rings was back but I’m sure not 100% and Walnut wins in 3 vs Sycamore. Elder vs Walnut next Tuesday should be a big match.
Centerville’s ex-libero who was moved to O2 is suffering a foot injury I believe. Their passing was horrendous against Northmont without him. And, I agree that Rings still does not look 100%

Was talking about JJ as POY in South Region. It looks like the way voting works is that they try to place 5-6 of the boys who made 1st team in their region but not 1st team all state on the 2nd team, and then the ones that don't fit there go down to HM. Girl's all state voting is completely different where multiple players from the same team can make 1st team, which obviously would give an advantage (deservedly arguably) to South region in boy's if that's how it was done. Many players from GCL schools that should've been at least 2nd team all state got demoted to HM or left off because of this voting system.
There have been instances where the best team in the state get two players on the 1st Team All State team, though it is rare. The one Darby team comes to mind back from '13. If Elder is deemed the best team, meaning they defeat Walnut and Moeller here in May, finishing the regular season with one loss, I think you could see both Maune and Bianco on that list, and deservedly so if that's how they finish.

Last edited:
I think, at the very least, one will be 1st team and the other will be 2nd team. Hell, Busken might have a case for HM as well. It’s happened with Elder in the past in ‘08 when Craig Wessels was POY and 1st team, Andrew Wessels was 2nd team and Alex Bertke was HM. Since the loss to X, Elder’s pretty much been running through opponents so I could see all 3

I think, at the very least, one will be 1st team and the other will be 2nd team. Hell, Busken might have a case for HM as well. It’s happened with Elder in the past in ‘08 when Craig Wessels was POY and 1st team, Andrew Wessels was 2nd team and Alex Bertke was HM. Since the loss to X, Elder’s pretty much been running through opponents so I could see all 3
Not sure if D2 is similar but last season Richards was 1st team as well as Luers who won POTY for fenwick

Not sure if D2 is similar but last season Richards was 1st team as well as Luers who won POTY for fenwick
Less teams to choose from, but same process. And the South region is always going to warrant a lot of discussion/votes. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Maune, Bianco and Busken from Elder; Meyer from X; Patterson from Moeller; Wheatley, Tombragel and Smith-Trondle from Walnut all with All-State honors. Fago from Mason, Downs from Milford, Kress and Walsh from Sycamore and the 2 OHs from Loveland will probably all warrant some consideration, too. And I’m sure I’m missing some.

I got to see a lot of games in the last week at Centerville Elite 8, Elder played well overall, X is in a free fall since then, but still dangerous. Moeller is up and down, but going young. Lots of great player out there. Any thoughts on Oppo hitter Maurer from Elder? He hits the ball harder than probably anybody in the state, with probably about 10 kills per match. Stats not as big as other players, but not the primary option. Good blocker who teams tend to go away from. Very athletic kid going to play college football next year

Down to the last 2 weeks of the regular season and there are some big matches left to be played. X looks to bounce back from their recent losses with a big match this week against Centerville. Elder and Walnut with a huge matchup Tuesday night at Elder, Elder also with another match on Friday with the GCL championship on the line. Can Walnut shake up the seedings with a win against Elder or has Elder done enough already to keep the number one seed in the South. With 5 losses apiece, I believe, has X or Moeller done enough to warrant a 1 seed?

I got to see a lot of games in the last week at Centerville Elite 8, Elder played well overall, X is in a free fall since then, but still dangerous. Moeller is up and down, but going young. Lots of great player out there. Any thoughts on Oppo hitter Maurer from Elder? He hits the ball harder than probably anybody in the state, with probably about 10 kills per match. Stats not as big as other players, but not the primary option. Good blocker who teams tend to go away from. Very athletic kid going to play college football next year
Maurer is having a solid season for Elder. Seems he is getting some good looks this year with Busken having a breakout year in the middle and Maune always pulling 2 blocks. Definitely helps having Bianco setting him. Not sure what u r asking when u ask what our thoughts are about him. 10 kills a match also seems to be a little more than what he is actually averaging. My guess would be closer to 6.

With 10 kills a match average that would put him in the top 5 in Elder history for kills in a season. If that’s accurate? That’s big time. Maybe 1st or 2nd team?

Maurer is a solid role player for Elder, but he's definitely not averaging 10 kills per match. I'm sure he'll finish the season with around 150 or so, but Maune, Busken and Lanter will probably all finish with more than him. Offensively, he's good for some big kills and some aces every match, but can be pretty inconsistent in both of those. Defensively, he has a solid block, but I don't think the Moe's, X's, Walnut's, etc. of the state are looking to avoid him or do much game planning around him.

New rankings are in. Not sure how anyone but Elder warrants a 1st place vote right now and not sure how Walnut falls to 6th. I get that Iggy's beat X, but so did Walnut. Also, Liberty leapfrogging Walnut makes no sense to me either. I get that their conference schedule is what it is and that's not very good, but I think they're being massively overlooked.

In D2, same sentiment; not sure how anyone but Badin warrants a 1st place vote right now, especially after they handled Carroll and Alter last week. St. Francis I can see warranting some consideration, but, to use common opponents as a measuring stick, St. Francis is 0-2 (1-6) against St. Charles, while Badin beat St. Charles in 4.

It all doesn't really matter, though, as seeding meetings are this Sunday and the coaches will get those right.

New rankings are in. Not sure how anyone but Elder warrants a 1st place vote right now and not sure how Walnut falls to 6th. I get that Iggy's beat X, but so did Walnut. Also, Liberty leapfrogging Walnut makes no sense to me either. I get that their conference schedule is what it is and that's not very good, but I think they're being massively overlooked.

In D2, same sentiment; not sure how anyone but Badin warrants a 1st place vote right now, especially after they handled Carroll and Alter last week. St. Francis I can see warranting some consideration, but, to use common opponents as a measuring stick, St. Francis is 0-2 (1-6) against St. Charles, while Badin beat St. Charles in 4.

It all doesn't really matter, though, as seeding meetings are this Sunday and the coaches will get those right.
Yeah, state rankings don't really mean much right now. The region voters will get it much closer.

In the south, voters more appropriately have Walnut ahead of St X and only a few votes behind Moe.

IMO Bianco is the best player on the best team and deserves to be the Player of the Year in Ohio. I get frustrated by his inconsistent serve, but his setting and ability to finish at the net is second to no one.

IMO Bianco is the best player on the best team and deserves to be the Player of the Year in Ohio. I get frustrated by his inconsistent serve, but his setting and ability to finish at the net is second to no one.
I can see why you would think that, but I don’t think any setter tops Kolwicz. Bianco is definitely very good, but I think a team like Elder has a way of making everyone look like rockstars. Thomas would probably be .500 or worse without Kolwicz.

I can see why you would think that, but I don’t think any setter tops Kolwicz. Bianco is definitely very good, but I think a team like Elder has a way of making everyone look like rockstars. Thomas would probably be .500 or worse without Kolwicz.
Would agree here. Also his block is something that is incredible too. He’s not very big but uses his hands very well and will get some roofs and a lot of quality touches. Carthage got a good one for sure

The OCC (East Region) posted their OCC Challenge matchups this morning. Some interesting matchups for that region. Conference records listed, I believe. Looks like these will be played at Hilliard Darby on Monday.

Main Gym games:
5:00- New Albany (12-2) vs. Dublin Jerome (6-5)
6:15- Hilliard Darby (7-5) vs. Pickerington Central (14-0)
8:00- Olentangy Liberty (12-0) vs. Thomas Worthington (11-1)

Aux Gym games:
5:00- Westerville South (2-9) vs. Olentangy Orange (3-8), Upper Arlington (3-9) vs. Delaware Hayes (3-8)
6:15- Worthington Kilbourne (6-5) vs. Dublin Coffman (8-3), Olentangy (3-6) vs. Hilliard Davidson (8-4)
8:00- Olentangy Berlin (6-6) vs. Pickerington North (7-7), Reynoldsburg (2-12) vs. Hilliard Bradley (1-11)

The OCC (East Region) posted their OCC Challenge matchups this morning. Some interesting matchups for that region. Conference records listed, I believe. Looks like these will be played at Hilliard Darby on Monday.

Main Gym games:
5:00- New Albany (12-2) vs. Dublin Jerome (6-5)
6:15- Hilliard Darby (7-5) vs. Pickerington Central (14-0)
8:00- Olentangy Liberty (12-0) vs. Thomas Worthington (11-1)

Aux Gym games:
5:00- Westerville South (2-9) vs. Olentangy Orange (3-8), Upper Arlington (3-9) vs. Delaware Hayes (3-8)
6:15- Worthington Kilbourne (6-5) vs. Dublin Coffman (8-3), Olentangy (3-6) vs. Hilliard Davidson (8-4)
8:00- Olentangy Berlin (6-6) vs. Pickerington North (7-7), Reynoldsburg (2-12) vs. Hilliard Bradley (1-11)
the Olentangy Liberty vs Thomas Worthington matchup should be a good one. Can TW bounce back from the L to OL??

Elder with a statement win tonight against Walnut! I thought it would be a very competitive match but Elder took it to them from the start. Serve receive was not good for Walnut and no answer for Maune. Wheatley and Tombragel had some big kills but could never gain any momentum.

Elder with a statement win tonight against Walnut! I thought it would be a very competitive match but Elder took it to them from the start. Serve receive was not good for Walnut and no answer for Maune. Wheatley and Tombragel had some big kills but could never gain any momentum.
Match up problems for Walnut for sure. Their weak spot seemed to be the Oppo who ended up facing Maune. The block was non existent sometimes and Maune was putting on a show. If they end up playing again, hopefully Walnut could make some adjustments to slow him down.

Match up problems for Walnut for sure. Their weak spot seemed to be the Oppo who ended up facing Maune. The block was non existent sometimes and Maune was putting on a show. If they end up playing again, hopefully Walnut could make some adjustments to slow him down.
Maune is certainly their top weapon but Elder has 4 legit hitters who can hurt you (Busken, Lanter, and Mauer).

If Elder is not beating themselves with missed serves, going to be tough to knock them off.

Maune is certainly their top weapon but Elder has 4 legit hitters who can hurt you (Busken, Lanter, and Mauer).

If Elder is not beating themselves with missed serves, going to be tough to knock them off.
? on this ?
I’ll be curious if Moe can put up a better fight this Friday when Elder comes to visit. I’m saying Elder in 5 sets against my Crusaders.
The atmosphere should be electric. I know Elder fans will show up (especially with the GCL S on the line). It’s also Courage Court Challenge match and grade school night.

? on this ?
I’ll be curious if Moe can put up a better fight this Friday when Elder comes to visit. I’m saying Elder in 5 sets against my Crusaders.
The atmosphere should be electric. I know Elder fans will show up (especially with the GCL S on the line). It’s also Courage Court Challenge match and grade school night.
It will be one heck of an environment on Friday, just as anyone would want it to be with the GCL title and playoff seedings on the line. In my opinion if Elder plays the way they did last night they will win in 3. If they don't, and Patterson gets going, this one will go down to the wire. I am calling Elder in 4, and then some hard decisions for whoever draws the 3 and 4 seed.

In East news, Thomas Worthington lost to Pick Central (and PC was missing a strong starting OH). Liberty is clearly the class of the East with a pretty steep drop off after that. TW and PC will end up in the same side of the bracket (East #2), the winner of which I believe would have to play South #1 in the quarters.

There is a lot of individual talent in Columbus, but it's very spread out amongst the high schools.

And I know someone was talking about Kolwicz as best setter in the state, but I think Bianco is ahead of him. Granted, Bianco has more options and better passing, so maybe not a fair evaluation during the HS season. Kolwicz is very good, but all he really has is O'Leary in the middle. So if the passes are off they get in trouble fast.

In East news, Thomas Worthington lost to Pick Central (and PC was missing a strong starting OH). Liberty is clearly the class of the East with a pretty steep drop off after that. TW and PC will end up in the same side of the bracket (East #2), the winner of which I believe would have to play South #1 in the quarters.

There is a lot of individual talent in Columbus, but it's very spread out amongst the high schools.

And I know someone was talking about Kolwicz as best setter in the state, but I think Bianco is ahead of him. Granted, Bianco has more options and better passing, so maybe not a fair evaluation during the HS season. Kolwicz is very good, but all he really has is O'Leary in the middle. So if the passes are off they get in trouble fast.
Sounds like Thomas Worthington could have some injuries/COVID issues. Heard they only had 9 guys last night. Agreed that Liberty will run through the East 1 bracket. I would expect to see seeds 2-6 together in the East #2 bracket. Should be interesting!

Sounds like Thomas Worthington could have some injuries/COVID issues. Heard they only had 9 guys last night. Agreed that Liberty will run through the East 1 bracket. I would expect to see seeds 2-6 together in the East #2 bracket. Should be interesting!
Maybe only 9 guys played, but there were more than 9 guys there. Could have been JV guys pulled up for all I know, but there were as many guys on the bench as on the court. I don't know their roster well enough to know if they were missing any key pieces.

Assuming they end up playing again in the regional final, it would be good to see both at full strength if they both were missing guys last night.

We’ve seen both in person. Kolwicz is definitely the best setter in the state. Elder’s back row deserves a lot of credit for their passing consistency.