2021 VASJ Vikings Football: Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late in the game, VASJ is up 49-26 over Lakeside. Safe to say that will be the final and the Vikings will be moving on to 3-0 where next week they travel to Wheeling WV to take on Wheeling Park.

One of their starting big RB’s got ejected. Also starter on defense. #4 is very talented offered by Pitt. QB is poised with a nice arm. Players 6,9,10,45 play very hard.

Does anyone know how good this Wheeling Park team is? Maxpreps has them ranked #10 in WV
Tried to start a thread on this game, but it didn’t take off haha. Here is my take on them:

I’ve seen Park play twice. They barely squeaked by D4 St. Clairsville (first time beating them in 3 recent meetings) and then got dominated by Steubenville Big Red on the road. I will say that Park played Big Red very tough for one half. #4 on Park has an offer from Pitt. He is a sophomore track star with game breaking speed. I think their biggest challenge has been getting him the ball consistently. He’s made some big plays so far this year. Park also has a good group of linebackers that fly to the ball. Pretty physical too. Steubenville wore on the Park defense in the 2nd half. By the end of the game, Park had no interest in tackling Big Red’s running back. No idea what Cleveland VASJ has, but I’m looking forward to this matchup. Wheeling Park is one of the largest schools in West Virginia. They are class AAA (maybe D1 or D2 classification in Ohio), but they compete at about the division 4 or division 5 level with Ohio teams. They are no match for the bigger schools in the state or Ohio. Hoping VASJ can come down to the Island and represent for NE Ohio.

Tried to start a thread on this game, but it didn’t take off haha. Here is my take on them:

I’ve seen Park play twice. They barely squeaked by D4 St. Clairsville (first time beating them in 3 recent meetings) and then got dominated by Steubenville Big Red on the road. I will say that Park played Big Red very tough for one half. #4 on Park has an offer from Pitt. He is a sophomore track star with game breaking speed. I think their biggest challenge has been getting him the ball consistently. He’s made some big plays so far this year. Park also has a good group of linebackers that fly to the ball. Pretty physical too. Steubenville wore on the Park defense in the 2nd half. By the end of the game, Park had no interest in tackling Big Red’s running back. No idea what Cleveland VASJ has, but I’m looking forward to this matchup. Wheeling Park is one of the largest schools in West Virginia. They are class AAA (maybe D1 or D2 classification in Ohio), but they compete at about the division 4 or division 5 level with Ohio teams. They are no match for the bigger schools in the state or Ohio. Hoping VASJ can come down to the Island and represent for NE Ohio.
Thank you for the update. I live in Virginia, and am planning on making the drive to Wheeling Park to see the Vikings.

Thank you for the update. I live in Virginia, and am planning on making the drive to Wheeling Park to see the Vikings.
Just wondering how all of the transfers, especially the Euclid and Beachwood transfers got out of having to sit…..By rule they should miss half the season.

Just wondering how all of the transfers, especially the Euclid and Beachwood transfers got out of having to sit…..By rule they should miss half the season.
88C0A5EF-DD53-483E-B24E-67C05BC9BD4E.gif

Oh I think Wheeling Park could beat a few Division 2 teams in Ohio.
If your talking top 15-20 teams maybe not.

Park has been getting better and playing teams like Steubenville and Villa Angela St Joe’s will do them good for wva playoffs.

This year Park has a really gifted QB imo.
Park’s biggest issue are mental discipline and conditioning.
But they could hang with quite a few Ohio teams this year.
Park is considered a Div 2 in Ohio.
They are by no means competitive with D2 Hoban or Massillon or LaSalle but more comparable to teams like a Zanesville or Tri-Valley or Barberton.
Big Red is having a up year so it hards to go off that game, and if your not in good condition Big Red will test that for sure.

I’m very intrigued by this game. It should… be competitive. But not sure with St.Joe getting a new coach and Euclid seems a bit down this year.
Good Luck , Stay Healthy, Enjoy Football.

Oh I think Wheeling Park could beat a few Division 2 teams in Ohio.
If your talking top 15-20 teams maybe not.

Park has been getting better and playing teams like Steubenville and Villa Angela St Joe’s will do them good for wva playoffs.

This year Park has a really gifted QB imo.
Park’s biggest issue are mental discipline and conditioning.
But they could hang with quite a few Ohio teams this year.
Park is considered a Div 2 in Ohio.
They are by no means competitive with D2 Hoban or Massillon or LaSalle but more comparable to teams like a Zanesville or Tri-Valley or Barberton.
Big Red is having a up year so it hards to go off that game, and if your not in good condition Big Red will test that for sure.

I’m very intrigued by this game. It should… be competitive. But not sure with St.Joe getting a new coach and Euclid seems a bit down this year.
Good Luck , Stay Healthy, Enjoy Football.
I’ll agree to disagree on who they’re competive with. Based on very close games with St. Clairsville over the past 3 years (St. C winning 2 of 3 meetings) I would put them with Ohio D4 competition, I do agree with you on scheduling Ohio teams to help get ready for the WV playoffs. They’re not going to play a team as good as Big Red in the WV class AAA playoffs.. I would love them to schedule more Ohio division 3-4 teams to find out how they compete with them. I think teams like Licking Valley, Sheridan, Granville would be a good gauge on where they’re at. That’s why I am looking forward to this game with VASJ. It should be very interesting.

Basically from what I’ve seen from the first game and highlights when they played Holy Name week 2.

VASJ is physical upfront on both sides of the ball.(Improvement form last few years)

The QB who came over from Beachwood and is able to throw the ball well and run it himself if he sees an opening. Not sure if was granted an exemption to be eligible after Week 5.

The offense in general will get their points, a lot of short routes such as curls, and slants will get the ball out of the QB’s hands faster instead of always going for the deep ball, which plagued the team constantly

Defense has showed major improvements from seasons past where they aren’t a revolving door and getting into track meets. That was their Achilles heal in 2019 when they lost to CVCA, Port Clinton, and Lutheran East. I think last weeks game vs Lakeside was their worst performance of the year. Turning the ball over 3x did not help.

Depth has always been an issue in years past. For first time since the early 00’s they have over 100 kids on the roster, helps when you have 40 freshman on the team. Having depth has limited the majority from playing on both sides and gassing out midway through the game.

I’m real curious to see how things play out in this one as WP appears to be a consistently good team, year in and year out.

Yeah Covid is hitting hard.
My daughter and granddaughter have it and my grandson had it. Luckily they had a fever for 1 day and congestion and overall crap feeling but for us so far it’s been pretty much like a cold.
They were tested positive.
Hope everyone stays healthy. Can’t wait til this mess ends.

There are no transfer rules this season due to covid.

Looks like VASJ will be taking a bye week as all indications point to that unless they get an opponent to play tomorrow night.

Last edited:
The first AP Poll’s have been released, VASJ is listed as #3 in the Poll and received 3, 1st place votes. AP poll does not mean jack…. but a cool feet to see considering the progress that was made so far.

Coming up. The Vikings take on long time rival Central Catholic at CWRU this weekend and look to go 4-0 on the year.

Last edited:
Euclid will no longer play VASJ in any sports - girls or boys. The rivalry is officially dead - at least as long as Higley is the AD at Euclid. The word is Rotsky took so many kids from Euclid that they are unable to field a freshman team. If they think he took a lot this year - wait until next year. Kids had no idea what to expect from VASJ this year because they has been bad for a long time - and he still got kids to come play. Now Euclid is heading toward a 0-10 season and VASJ is ranked 3rd in the state and will compete for a D4 state title. He is going to pillage area schools.

Euclid will no longer play VASJ in any sports - girls or boys. The rivalry is officially dead - at least as long as Higley is the AD at Euclid. The word is Rotsky took so many kids from Euclid that they are unable to field a freshman team. If they think he took a lot this year - wait until next year. Kids had no idea what to expect from VASJ this year because they has been bad for a long time - and he still got kids to come play. Now Euclid is heading toward a 0-10 season and VASJ is ranked 3rd in the state and will compete for a D4 state title. He is going to pillage area schools.

Higley needs to get over himself and stop being petty. He knew what would happen if and when Rotsky left Euclid when he signed on the dotted line in the beginning. It's a given when you bring on a Jeff Rotsky that you will get so many years of him and he's off to his next stop. Let alone lose him to a neighboring school. Either way, Higley knows their biggest games were against St.Joes/VASJ and always drew many spectators whether it's football and basketball. Will be his loss, maybe his job? as it will affect the athletic income because outside of the district tournament, or playoff games, Euclid bring no one. Oh well, not my problem.

To add on to the above, it won't take VASJ long to bump up to D-III with CB in play. Curious to see how fast that bump occurs.

To add on to the above, it won't take VASJ long to bump up to D-III with CB in play. Curious to see how fast that bump occurs.
I think it will be division 2, not 3. VASJ needs to enjoy the ride and understand that in 4-5 years the ride will end with a crash and burn. You sell your soul to the devil, eventually you gotta go to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.