2021 Inaugural Season: Three Rivers Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milton stadium has had some exciting games and amazing players.
UD head coach: Mike Kelly played on that field. College football Hall of famer.
Oakland Raiders QB: Chuck Green played there. College football hall of famer
Current Washington football team rt guard Wes Martin played there. And many, many other great athletes.
19 league titles. It does need a new field though. But MU is as all-American Friday night as they come.

Milton stadium has had some exciting games and amazing players.
UD head coach: Mike Kelly played on that field. College football Hall of famer.
Oakland Raiders QB: Chuck Green played there. College football hall of famer
Current Washington football team rt guard Wes Martin played there. And many, many other great athletes.
19 league titles. It does need a new field though. But MU is as all-American Friday night as they come.
shocked Milton hasn't invested in turf yet

They had a committee working on it but I doubt it ever happens. Just a revitalizing of the field is overdue. Last time it was done was in the late 80s. Covington has an amazing field.
I work in Agronomy and I can't get passed anyone at MU to get them to listen to my plan for that field.

They had a committee working on it but I doubt it ever happens. Just a revitalizing of the field is overdue. Last time it was done was in the late 80s. Covington has an amazing field.
I work in Agronomy and I can't get passed anyone at MU to get them to listen to my plan for that field.
Ya Milton needs to get something going with their field. The stadium is awesome, has history, is in the middle of town but the grass is not the quality it needs to be. The soccer team destroys it more than anything, if they would build a new soccer field where the new school is then I feel like the field would hold up better.

Ya Milton needs to get something going with their field. The stadium is awesome, has history, is in the middle of town but the grass is not the quality it needs to be. The soccer team destroys it more than anything, if they would build a new soccer field where the new school is then I feel like the field would hold up better.
I've been against Soccer using that stadium since 1984 when soccer came to Milton. Now they have all of that land where the elementary and Jr High was, it's a great place for a soccer stadium. Boys and girls. I heard rumors about Milton trying to get Turf installed. That field has always been rough. Used to be worse than it is now.

Ya they need to use the land by the new school for a soccer stadium and that a lone would make the grass last longer for the football team. I would be so against Milton getting turf.

Sounds like it is going to be some good small town football. I am excited to visit some of the new stadiums. Not only is this football season going to be good, I believe this whole league will be good for all sports. Very excited to see what comes of it. Would love for this league to produce some powerhouse schools that can compete at the state level!!!!

This is going to get into some serious rivalry situation which is going to make for some amazing football. I am sure we may be tense with each other some times. I know for TC the competition that this conference gives will make us a real problem in the tournament for others if we can get in with 3-4 conference loses.

This is going to get into some serious rivalry situation which is going to make for some amazing football. I am sure we may be tense with each other some times. I know for TC the competition that this conference gives will make us a real problem in the tournament for others if we can get in with 3-4 conference loses.
I think the rivalries will be excellent for the kids and revitalize participation across all sports. The worst thing that ever happened was adding too many sports in small schools.
Milton-Covington should be a great rivalry, as should Milton-Bethel. Troy Chr-Miami East will be another one. Crosstown rivals. Lehman-Troy Chr might take off, but across the board TC is stronger at most sports than Lehman.

I've been against Soccer using that stadium since 1984 when soccer came to Milton. Now they have all of that land where the elementary and Jr High was, it's a great place for a soccer stadium. Boys and girls. I heard rumors about Milton trying to get Turf installed. That field has always been rough. Used to be worse than it is now.

It's all about changing the dynamics of how the field handles traffic. If you have 50 games a year on a field that's built to handle 20 games, it's never going to be right. So how do you build a grass field that can handle 50 games a year?

Here's a good example at Pick Central. Old, tired grass field on topsoil.

2018-9-21.jpg

Rebuilt in the spring/summer of 2019 with better drainage and a sand-based rootzone for safe footing during and after rain. 32 games in the fall of that year.

Photo from the first game of 2020.

20200830_102124 (2).jpg

47 games (football and soccer) in 11 weeks, here it is for the final home playoff game.

20201030_140429 (5).jpg

20201030_134824 (1).jpg

It's possible to have safe, great-playing, awesome looking grass fields in Ohio without a ton of expense, even for the smallest schools. This whole project was less than $180k from start to finish with annual maintenance costs of $30k including labor, supplies, services, and overhead. 15-18 year lifespan if taken care of properly.

Sometimes you just have to think outside the box.

I hear ya. I have 35+ years of experience in agronomy and turf management. The issue is typically the soil. The soil around here is so compacted clay and the alkalinity is off the scale. Mercer-group out of Troy does a great job. I used to work for Ted at Evergreen back in the 80s. The new TT tall fescues do a great job holding up but like you said, the soil is the key. Milton has 185k before they have 1.0 million to dump into turf.

Riverside is normally somewhere in the 30’s, but depends on class sizes, had one team in the 50’s about 5/6 years ago.

Covington had 41 on roster last year, Miami East had 31 and I am not sure about Bethel, but I'd guess in the 30-40 range. I know they had enough to field a JV team. I'd say Covington consistently gets around 40+, and Bethel and Miami East have been down the past couple years, but have the potential to pull bigger numbers.

Covington had 41 on roster last year, Miami East had 31 and I am not sure about Bethel, but I'd guess in the 30-40 range. I know they had enough to field a JV team. I'd say Covington consistently gets around 40+, and Bethel and Miami East have been down the past couple years, but have the potential to pull bigger numbers.
Those are surprisingly small number for schools that big. ME/Bethel

Those are surprisingly small number for schools that big. ME/Bethel
That's why I noted that they've been down the past couple years, and I do think the numbers could trend upwards. Miami East did have a great team during the 2018 season and I believe their numbers were in the 40's then.

Bethel and ME really should be improved and have better numbers overall. I always look at that Bethel job as a real potential job. In 2021, I do think MU and Covington will be at the top of the league and the top two spots. But with the new league, 12 teams per region, I expect at least one other team to find consistent success against the rest of the league. Who that team is, I haven't put my finger on. It probably should be ME, but as BF937 said, they've also been down.

Last edited:
All these teams are able to field jv teams right? I heard Milton had 35 the last couple years. That is just sad. If they don't bring at least 50 then it is a down year. How many does TC and Lehman usually have?

All these teams are able to field jv teams right? I heard Milton had 35 the last couple years. That is just sad. If they don't bring at least 50 then it is a down year. How many does TC and Lehman usually have?
I know Bethel fielded a JV team last year. Covington did as well. I'm not sure about ME.

Riverside usually has a JV team till injuries force young kids to play varsity. Lehman hasn’t had a JV team in years. I know TC had a JV 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.