2020 St. Ignatius Football

For Ignatius fans:

Today marks the final day of class for the school and for many long-time faculty members who go into retirement. Many thanks for all of the great years of service they have given:

Dale Gabor - languages, former athletic director
Hank Gaughn - phys ed, health, Athletic Trainer
John Cooney - biology, basketball
Brian Becker - math, former Head Coach - basketball and golf
Michael Howard - history
Patricia Kyle - art
Christine Piatak - languages
Fr. Paul Shelton, S.J. - theology, language, cross country, athletic chaplain ( leaving for tertianship)
Mrs. Jennifer Fight - athletics admin. assistant
Dan Baron - theology

Godspeed to all.
Wow 8 of those were during my time. 4 of those, I was in their classrooms. I now feel old

Add:

Dan Galla, theology
Tony Antonelli, math and defensive coordinator thru ’98 and during the championship run of the ‘90s

and finally, Tom Pasko – a legendary teacher of many subjects, who taught for 54 years at St. Ignatius
Make that 11 from my years, and 6 teachers of mine. Generational retiremeny

I'm just curious about Ignatius peoples thoughts. Looking at your initial schedule, assuming there is HS football, and hearing that quite possibly out of town games and teams from Canada are games that will not happen: (Mt. St. Joseph, DeMatha, River Rouge, Clarkson North). How in the world will they fill that void?

I'm just curious about Ignatius peoples thoughts. Looking at your initial schedule, assuming there is HS football, and hearing that quite possibly out of town games and teams from Canada are games that will not happen: (Mt. St. Joseph, DeMatha, River Rouge, Clarkson North). How in the world will they fill that void?

Good question. I think that all fans have been asking the same question. The only possible solution would be to try to schedule teams that fall under the same situation- out-of-state games that were canceled. The biggest shame is that so many of these games have to be scheduled in the first place, but that's the way things are now.

Last edited:
Good question. I think that all fans have been asking the same question. The only possible solution would be to try to schedule teams that fall under the same situation- out-of-state games that were canceled. The biggest shame is that so many of these game have to be scheduled in the first place, but that's the way things are now.
I agree. Thanks for your input. Have great day!

Make that 11 from my years, and 6 teachers of mine. Generational retiremeny

If you were to add up the years of Ignatius teaching experience for the 9 teachers who retired it would come to 302. If Antonelli and Pasko hadn't decided to go part-time, the number would have gone to 403. That's an amazing amount of institutional memory lost.

I pray for the golden tornado but, I see eight, nine, ten losses this year if the season plays out. Really, they're going to play hard their last game of the year against Canada when they have no wins. Massillon will get their second win against us this year, hard to swallow. Chico, step down 12 years ago and take that worthless Spanish teacher Restifo with you.

I pray for the golden tornado but, I see eight, nine, ten losses this year if the season plays out. Really, they're going to play hard their last game of the year against Canada when they have no wins. Massillon will get their second win against us this year, hard to swallow. Chico, step down 12 years ago and take that worthless Spanish teacher Restifo with you.

This year might not be very good, depending on the development of the juniors. The next two classes are pretty strong, so there is hope.

If you were to add up the years of Ignatius teaching experience for the 9 teachers who retired it would come to 302. If Antonelli and Pasko hadn't decided to go part-time, the number would have gone to 403. That's an amazing amount of institutional memory lost.

I still remember being in class with Antonelli when the Colerain ruling came down

Spanish is the new Latin?

If my quick research and memory serves me right, St Ignatius only had an All-District QB one time since 2010 (Grosel in 2015). For a program that seems defined by QB play, the past decade wasn't at the level they had over the previous 20+ years. Does French have the goods to give St Ignatius that elite-level QB over the next two seasons?

If my quick research and memory serves me right, St Ignatius only had an All-District QB one time since 2010 (Grosel in 2015). For a program that seems defined by QB play, the past decade wasn't at the level they had over the previous 20+ years. Does French have the goods to give St Ignatius that elite-level QB over the next two seasons?

Don't know. There is a possibility that he won't even be the starter.

Don't know. There is a possibility that he won't even be the starter.
Curious who it would be if not French. Coaches seem to be grooming him to start.

Cards, IMO, and it's just my opinion, French has a long way to go to be an elite level QB.

Curious who it would be if not French. Coaches seem to be grooming him to start.

Cards, IMO, and it's just my opinion, French has a long way to go to be an elite level QB.

It probably will be French, but Restifo has a soft spot for tall qbs. Joseph Pfaff played well last year and is 6'3"

Yes, the impression I was getting was that he would be the starter. I wouldn't expect St Ignatius of all places to be making any promises, but whether it was intentional or not I imagine that French expected that he would be (at minimum) a two year starter for the Cats.

I know it was at Padua, but it was pretty impressive to start all year as a freshman and have a winning record against that schedule. I would expect that 12-15 months with the St Ignatius coaches could put him in position to take over and become a pretty good one.

Was Eric Williams not an all-district guy when the Cats took the title in 2011?

Was Eric Williams not an all-district guy when the Cats took the title in 2011?

He was Honorable Mention in 2011. Williams got the state title (which is way more important than getting All-Ohio), but I thought LaManna (also Honorable Mention) was better the following season.

After a decade of Nate Szcep, Brian Hoyer, Rudy Kirbus, Andrew Holland, and Mark Meyers - there was a noticeable dropoff in the position last decade. Is it just one of those things or is there more to it? How consistent has the coaching staff on offense been?

He was Honorable Mention in 2011. Williams got the state title (which is way more important than getting All-Ohio), but I thought LaManna (also Honorable Mention) was better the following season.

After a decade of Nate Szcep, Brian Hoyer, Rudy Kirbus, Andrew Holland, and Mark Meyers - there was a noticeable dropoff in the position last decade. Is it just one of those things or is there more to it? How consistent has the coaching staff on offense been?

It might have a lot to do with the offensive philosophy, which has been firmly entrenched in the 90's

I liked Lamanna too, but thought Williams was playing great by the time the playoffs came around. He took an absolute beating in that Eds playoff game and still hung in there.

I wan't impressed by the hpye about Williams until the the tenth game of the year when Ed's beat the absolute crap out of him (all legal hits BTW) and he he kept coming back for more. Then came the playoff game and Ed's beat him up even more and he still withstood all the hits and led the Cats to victory.

I liked Lamanna too, but thought Williams was playing great by the time the playoffs came around. He took an absolute beating in that Eds playoff game and still hung in there.

Agree. Kid was just a gamer, and tough as nails. I thought the same of Dzuro for us a few years back.