2018 Division I Schedules

Olentangy Liberty is playing Cleveland Glenville in week 2. They start the year at Pick North and then Host Glenville...

It doesn't look like Cincinnati Elder is playing Gahanna-Lincoln Week 3, as Gahanna posted an open date on the OHSAA site today for Week 3.

Doubtful.

It’s hard for Ed’s to get games with teams that aren’t D1.

That's a shame. I imagine Eds gets some students from Avon, so a game in Lakewood or Avon would generate a good deal of interest. And because Eds travels so far for many of their games, they might enjoy a game against a local team that is consistently playing quality football.

The match-up would be great for Avon. They usually have no trouble making the playoffs so a loss would not be devastating. More importantly, they could benefit from the experience of playing a team like St. Eds. Hoban's loss to Iggy in week one didn't hurt them, in fact it probably helped them. I realize Avon is in Div. II, but Avon needs to do something if it hopes to ever win a state championship in the near future because they will have to get though the growing juggernaut of Hoban in Div. II. Facing a team like Eds could help.

Week 3

September 7, 2018
..................Columbus Marion Franklin @ Gahanna Lincoln
................per Arbiter.....

Avon has declined. So has Hoban from what I am hearing.

If this is accurate, it says a lot about the Avon program. I guess they are happy beating up on teams in their conference and losing in the playoffs every year. I happen to think they would compete with St. Eds but apparently they don't think so. And, if they lost, that experience would help them in November. The best programs welcome competition at the highest level.

They called from what I am told and were told zero interest. Just telling you what is pretty much common knowledge now on the street.

If this is accurate, it says a lot about the Avon program. I guess they are happy beating up on teams in their conference and losing in the playoffs every year. I happen to think they would compete with St. Eds but apparently they don't think so. And, if they lost, that experience would help them in November. The best programs welcome competition at the highest level.

Avon is trying to get a deal with Mentor. They only have the 2018 season opener to fill. The SWC teams only have one non-league game. It’s Week 2 for Avon starting in 2019. They are doing a home and home with Lorain for 2019 and 2020. Lorain will be loaded in those years and the local interest will be tremendous.

Is Avon going to play at Mentor ? I can't see Mentor taking a one game deal away at a non D1 team. But who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Avon is trying to sneak a win in like Lake Catholic types do when a team like St Ignatius is going to be down

Mentor is going to be extremely young this year. I don't know why they have so much trouble scheduling out of conference in football ... especially this year

We are treated like a recruiting private. We've been close to winning the title but haven't. Wayne has too but can schedule. Pick Central and hd can schedule and have won it all. Solon often competes and has no issues

It's mostly us. And it isn't enrollment either. Mentor just went from 3 to 2 middle schools and closed 2 more elementary schools

Maybe Avon is trying to sneak a win in like Lake Catholic types do when a team like St Ignatius is going to be down

Mentor is going to be extremely young this year. I don't know why they have so much trouble scheduling out of conference in football ... especially this year

We are treated like a recruiting private. We've been close to winning the title but haven't. Wayne has too but can schedule. Pick Central and hd can schedule and have won it all. Solon often competes and has no issues

It's mostly us. And it isn't enrollment either. Mentor just went from 3 to 2 middle schools and closed 2 more elementary schools

Avon is in this position because they get ducked even by quality teams, just as Mentor does. The list is long of schools that Avon has contacted for games and gotten a no. I’ve sat in the AD’s office and saw the responses from very good programs — “No.” “My coach says no way.” etc. Yes, they could get a game with Ed’s, Iggy, X, but they don’t want to schedule a private if at all possible. Solon, Glenville and other such schools either could not or would not pull the trigger, so Avon went down to FL last year and beat a very solid Florida team in the opener. But they still need a 2018 opener. They’ve talked to Mooney, Buchtel, Massillon Perry, Steubenville and Mentor. Mentor would draw the biggest crowd, for sure, as everyone out here knows how good that program is. I hope they play this one. A good game for each. A good test for Avon. A ton of Harbin’s on the table for Mentor.

I know Glenville isn't avoiding Avon.... Glenville is currently on our schedule and plays Eds and iggy a lot. I'm sure they'd love Avon ..

I'm sure mentor wouldn't avoid you guys. But that stuff about wanting challenges rings hollow if Avon wants a one game deal in a year where mentor returns like 6 starters

I'd want a home game too with any team

I know Glenville isn't avoiding Avon.... Glenville is currently on our schedule and plays Eds and iggy a lot. I'm sure they'd love Avon ..

I'm sure mentor wouldn't avoid you guys. But that stuff about wanting challenges rings hollow if Avon wants a one game deal in a year where mentor returns like 6 starters

I'd want a home game too with any team

One game is all they have. The ridiculous league setup only allows for one OOC game. So Avon is restricted to only schools open that one week.

As for Glenville, Avon has tried to get them for years, but they won’t bite. Style of play is likely a reason. Much like Mentor, Avon runs a pretty robust offense out of multiple sets. A lot of coaches prefer to avoid those teams.

Mentor still draws from nearly twice the amount of boys as does Avon, and when has Mentor not reloaded?

Avon has Lorain for 2019 and 2020. Years that Lorain feels they have state title talent, and it’s local, which is all perfect. For the 2018 opener, though, Mentor would be the best option.

My point is Glenville isn't avoiding Avon if they will schedule Mentor ,Eds and Ignatius. They've played all 3 in the same year before !

Mentor does draw more boys. That's why they are d1 and you are D2....

If Avon wants a one year deal with mentor I'd insist it be at mentor if I were in charge If mentor schedules a D2 school away on a one year deal it will show how desperate they are

My point is Glenville isn't avoiding Avon if they will schedule Mentor ,Eds and Ignatius. They've played all 3 in the same year before !

Mentor does draw more boys. That's why they are d1 and you are D2....

If Avon wants a one year deal with mentor I'd insist it be at mentor if I were in charge If mentor schedules a D2 school away on a one year deal it will show how desperate they are

Only Ted Ginn knows why they never accept Avon’s offers.

As for Mentor, I would expect they would want a nice cash guarantee to play a road game with no return.

I hope they play. I want to see a good opener.

If you want them to play so bad , come to mentor or play a home and home. Avon isn't really a program that is elite enough to pay mentor cash. If anything , they've done way less than us in a lower division

I wouldn't take a one game deal away at Avon. But maybe our ad will have no choice

And again Glenville must have better programs or not be open your week. You only have 1 week open each year ...

Because Avon while good isn't in the class of those programs Glenville regularly has scheduled.

If you want them to play so bad , come to mentor or play a home and home. Avon isn't really a program that is elite enough to pay mentor cash. If anything , they've done way less than us in a lower division

I wouldn't take a one game deal away at Avon. But maybe our ad will have no choice

And again Glenville must have better programs or not be open your week. You only have 1 week open each year ...

Because Avon while good isn't in the class of those programs Glenville regularly has scheduled.

Your AD will decide.

I'm sure he will. But he's pretty desperate if it has to be at Avon. Again Avon isn't a better program than Mentor. They shouldn't get a home game without mentor getting one too

Id do a home and home with cardinal mooney and leave Avon out in the cold if I were him

I'm sure he will. But he's pretty desperate if it has to be at Avon. Again Avon isn't a better program than Mentor. They shouldn't get a home game without mentor getting one too

Id do a home and home with cardinal mooney and leave Avon out in the cold if I were him

I wouldn't mind a home and home, myself, but the only way it could happen at this point is for Mentor to get the return game in 2021 which seems like forever when you're scheduling HS football. The ultimate hope is that Lakewood makes good on its community's wish to leave the SWC for the Great Lakes. That would open up a much needed second non-league game for SWC schools.

If they wind up agreeing to do a game at Avon, it's still going to be a game that draws a lot of area interest. Especially if it's played on a Thursday night. We don't get a chance to see Mentor out this way too often, though they do come to Elyria every other season.

Thursday night would be even worse. Why would Mentor schedule a game that far out vs a D2 team with no return game?

You are looking at it only from your perspective. It makes very little sense from a mentor standpoint

Sure I'd think of going. But most people won't unless they have kids in the program.

Mentor shouldn't have to play a program that's done less in their stadium with no home game in return

If it's a one game thing it should be at mentor if anything

Thursday night would be even worse. Why would Mentor schedule a game that far out vs a D2 team with no return game?

You are looking at it only from your perspective. It makes very little sense from a mentor standpoint

Sure I'd think of going. But most people won't unless they have kids in the program.

Mentor shouldn't have to play a program that's done less in their stadium with no home game in return

If it's a one game thing it should be at mentor if anything

I wouldn't care if they played it at Mentor, but I think Avon is looking for the fifth home game to balance the schedule. I don't know what Mentor has for home games next year.

Mentor has 5 home games but it's the principle. I don't think they should schedule any team unless they get a home game out of it. Especially a D2 team that is far away

Mentor has 5 home games but it's the principle. I don't think they should schedule any team unless they get a home game out of it. Especially a D2 team that is far away

I get that, but it's still the game I hope to see out of the possible match ups I've heard. Some other teams are interesting, for sure, but I think a game with Mentor just has more juice to it.

I will certainly try to meet any Mentor Yappster that makes the trip.