10-0 and not in playoffs

kingpin2010

Just was surfing through Fantastic 50 and it looks like there is a real possibility this could happen this year with Gibsonburg in Region 23. Only have a 47% chance of making it if 10-0. Something to keep track of over the rest of the season

That blows, dumb to see a team not make it at 10-0 but that’s on the AD for scheduling like that

As much as I want to agree with you, they played some teams that are usually half way decent that just have been bad this year....There league gave them absolutely no help this year.

Lakota, HL and Danbury are all terrible.
Tiffin Calvert is usually really good, but they are down this year just 2-4
Margaretta is 4-2, but they lost 2 out of their 3 nonleague games.
St. Marys is playing 8 man football and dropped them and they picked up Antwerp and they are 0-6 right now too.

Their non-league schedule wasn't very good. Ottawa Hills has won 4 games this year, Woodmore is 0-6 and Mohawk who went 10-0 last year is .500 this year....

It would be crazy that they would miss the playoffs, but at the sametime the State re-did the regions this year. Region 23 is just crazy good, Coldwater, Minster, Anna, Archbold, LCC, Liberty Center...Those might be the best 6 teams in Division 6 let alone one region....

Not sure why they are all in Region 23, Archbold to Minster is a haul, how they can cover NW Ohio to SW Ohio north of Dayton in one region doesn't make much sense.

Has this happened before? For some reason I seem to remember this occurring several years ago, but I don't want to have to dig through Joe Eitel to find it! Anyone have any insight?

Region 23 is the MAC, all the way. But I do get what you are saying. But if they do get in at the 8 spot, playing Coldwater won't be any fun.

Not sure why they are all in Region 23, Archbold to Minster is a haul, how they can cover NW Ohio to SW Ohio north of Dayton in one region doesn't make much sense.

I honestly think that at some point as they get towards the end of filling all of the regions they take a handful of teams here or there and just put them somewhere based on broad criteria such as which one is further north/south. They have to draw the line somewhere and are given a mix of enrollments to work through which are not within their control. Certain parts of the state seem to have higher numbers of schools within certain divisions.

I know the number of D2 teams in Southwest Ohio is rather small, which is why Region 8 is a mix of Cincinnati/Dayton/Columbus schools.

As far as Gibsonburg that would stink the most for the players, who have no control over the schedule and took care of business.

Then again there are likely undefeated teams that will be in the post season that do not merit inclusion in the playoffs. If the goal is to have the most competitive playoff field, the 32 highest Harbin rated teams should be selected regardless of geographic region. That said, I fully understand why the OHSAA does what it does.

R - 23 is stacked, if Minster loses to Marion Local the Wildcats might not make the play offs. Wont do Gibsonburg any good this year but Marion Local has 2 openings at the beginning of next season.

Centerville was 10-0 three times, 1976, 1977 and 1983 and was excluded from the playoffs. The '76, '77 teams were 2nd in the entire state in computer points...(not just in their region). The '76 & '83 teams also each recorded 6 shutouts. Still no playoffs.
So, yes, it has happened...and yes it is/was WRONG!

That blows, dumb to see a team not make it at 10-0 but that’s on the AD for scheduling like that
The conference you are in will oft times play a role. A big fish in a small pond may come up short. However, if that could happen, then yes the AD needs to schedule better in terms of the ooc game/games.

Centerville was 10-0 three times, 1976, 1977 and 1983 and was excluded from the playoffs. The '76, '77 teams were 2nd in the entire state in computer points...(not just in their region). The '76 & '83 teams also each recorded 6 shutouts. Still no playoffs.
So, yes, it has happened...and yes it is/was WRONG!
Unfortunately for Centerville, fewer teams qualified for the playoffs in those years. In 1976 and 1977, only the team with the most computer points in each of the four AAA regions made the playoffs. Centerville finished second behind Moeller in Region 4 both years. In 1983, only the top two teams in each of the four Division I regions made the playoffs. Centerville finished fourth behind Moeller, Princeton and Middletown. Though far from perfect, the current system of eight qualifiers in each region is much better and fairer.

Gibsonburg was 9-1 and the two seed last year. Sometimes it happens but of course people want AD’s to buy points like Reno

And got pounded in the opening round.....much like what will happen this year should they make it in. Sure it'd be nice to make it, but knowing you're going to be a 40+ point underdog heading into the playoff game wouldn't be much fun

Going Coastal,
Appreciate the insight...and yes, agreed, the 8-team format has eliminated a lot of those early playoff disasters. So for those currently complaining, trust us, it's been considerably worse historically...

The case of region 23 this year is on the OHSAA. Look at the current R23 standings compared to every other D5-7 region in the state, it’s insane.

How many league games do you all have?

If it just one I suggest moving to an 8 game league schedule to get that second OOC game. Its not that difficult to do but some places are just too lazy in trying to get that sort of scheduled hammered out

We had the issue with Maple Heights when the Mustangs won it all in 2010. They had only one team (Shaw) with a winning record and had the lowest point average of any unbeaten above Division V

And got pounded in the opening round.....much like what will happen this year should they make it in. Sure it'd be nice to make it, but knowing you're going to be a 40+ point underdog heading into the playoff game wouldn't be much fun
90% of all schools in Ohio don’t look at winning state, they want to win their league. Remember 90% of schools play with just kids from their district while the other 10% are just all star teams

90% of all schools in Ohio don’t look at winning state, they want to win their league. Remember 90% of schools play with just kids from their district while the other 10% are just all star teams
So your saying that only 10% of over 700 schools have open enrollment? I dont have the numbers but I believe 10% is way off. Would love to see those numbers.

How many league games do you all have?

If it just one I suggest moving to an 8 game league schedule to get that second OOC game. Its not that difficult to do but some places are just too lazy in trying to get that sort of scheduled hammered out

Gibsonburg’s division of the SBC had eight schools. One dropped down to eight man so they have four non leagues games

At the end of the day the kids and coaches just need to win out and let the chips fall as they may. In all fairness the 2019 schedule isn't that different in terms of teams being played than the 2018 schedule for the Golden Bears. A D6 Ottawa Hills team goes 5-5 is probably just as good as the Elmwood team they played in 2018. Certainly SMCC dropping to 8Man was nothing Gburg could control. Difficult to have a replacement ready to go in case someone decides to drop 11-man ball. As someone else pointed out Calvert is way down, Lakota and Danbury aren't helping. Lakota won 4 games last year. Lakota and Danbury combined may not win 4 this year. Again, just try to win the games and see what happens when the dust settles.

So your saying that only 10% of over 700 schools have open enrollment? I dont have the numbers but I believe 10% is way off. Would love to see those numbers.
No. Most schools don’t have their QB driving an hour to school. They don’t pull athletes from 10 different schools. You are using low iq whataboutism

Gibsonburg’s division of the SBC had eight schools. One dropped down to eight man so they have four non leagues games
Gotcha. Someone mentioned trying to schedule better in a ten man league and it can happen with a rotating schedule and 2 ooc games

The conference you are in will oft times play a role. A big fish in a small pond may come up short. However, if that could happen, then yes the AD needs to schedule better in terms of the ooc game/games.
Schedule a harder schedule then.

I also see Northwood is 6-0 and 9th in D5.

Their Non Conference games was Mohawk who was 10-0 last year, Woodmore 0-10 last year but 7 miles away, Ottawa Hills is 4-2 and Antwerp 0-6 whom Gibsonburg picked up after St.Marys dropped 11 man in mid August, Antwerp was 6-4 last year and closest team. Their league hasn't won many outside the league. So I don't blame the AD at all.
If in Region 22 like past years Gibsonburg would 5th.